Recovered/Located AL - Casey White, prisoner, & Vicky Sue White (Deceased), CO w/sher office, Lauderdale, 29 Apr'22 *Reward* #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not really sure if she cared too much, it might be that other correctional officers didn't care enough. I used to work for a government organization that had two public safety platforms, policing and corrections, among others. It was true that a percentage of correctional officers (COs) applied to the OPP but didn't get accepted. Whether it was education (lots of university grads in the OPP), attitude, failing the physical, etc, I don't know. What I do know from experience is that a CO position can be a burnout occupation and many of them should have quit years before they did. I remember one telling me it wears on your morale since you get locked in with the inmates every day.

It's hard to leave the salary and benefits behind even when you recognize it's time for a change. Currently the salary for a CO is between $55,000 - $82,000 per annum and that's just base salary.

Perhaps VW was the right kind of person in the wrong job because she was more the outlier than the norm. I believe the lax enforcement of protocol in the jail allowed her to operate outside the regs. The inmates liked her because she humanized them but it made her vulnerable to a form of corruption. Like many experienced people have said on WS who are familiar with the prison environment, most of what she did was a firing event many times over. There's this strange dichotomy between her receiving the employee of the year award five times while at the same time she broke so many rules. How did no one see this? It's baffling to me.
Unless, they did see it...

She sold her car as well as her house before going on the run:

Weeks before the escape she sold her house for $95,000, far below the market value, sold her car and filed for retirement, Keely said.

Did LE recover the shotgun?

I tend to believe it, too — why else would 2 unnamed officials have told this to the press?
Probably because it is true... In my opinion, with a little more digging, It just might come out that they saw it, might have even reported it, and we're " shushed and poo pooed" away , because VW was in a position of authority, received employee of the Month every 5 seconds, and "bless her heart, she has been here forever..."
Perhaps the "dry run" was a rendezvous

Probably because it is true... In my opinion, with a little more digging, It just might come out that they saw it, might have even reported it, and we're " shushed and poo pooed" away , because VW was in a position of authority, received employee of the Month every 5 seconds, and "bless her heart, she has been here forever..."
I think you could very well be right. And this attitude of the culture of the jail staff must have led considerably to Vicky hatching her plan.

“She’s not a big talker,” Lauderdale County District Attorney Chris Connolly said in an interview this week. “She wasn’t chatty.”

“She just did her job,”

“She was a hands-on person,” Connolly said, and she “didn’t have bureaucracy get in the way of making things happen.”

The above comments are from an article posted upthread in the Washington Post.

I'm sure the distinguished district attorney intended those impressions of VW to be complimentary, but I see them as very problematic, and probably the prevailing opinion held by not only him, but probably also the sheriff and the director of the jail as well, and that is why I suspect VW was left to "do her job" with probably little to no oversight, and probably had been for years, based on the accolades and awards she had gotten, and was still getting up to the day of the escape. Honestly, to this outsider, it looks like the good old boy network is alive and well there.

Yes, VW is to blame for this entire tragic fiasco, and had she not taken her own life, I think she should have been held fully accountable for her actions, and should have faced the harshest of penalties. I do think, however, there is enough blame to go around, and several must bear their share, even if they had no legal culpability. Someone earlier in this thread suggested the jail needs to be internally investigated. I am not sure that an internal investigation is needed, so much as perhaps an external investigation into practices and procedures at that facility is desperately needed, before the next such fiasco causes an even more tragic loss of life. JMO

Last edited:
“She’s not a big talker,” Lauderdale County District Attorney Chris Connolly said in an interview this week. “She wasn’t chatty.”

“She just did her job,”

“She was a hands-on person,” Connolly said, and she “didn’t have bureaucracy get in the way of making things happen.”

I'm sure the distinguished district attorney intended those impressions of VW to be complimentary, but I see them as very problematic, and probably the prevailing opinion held by not only him, but probably also the sheriff and the director of the jail as well, and that is why I suspect VW was left to "do her job" with probably little to no oversight, and probably had been for years, based on the accolades and awards she had gotten, and was still getting up to the day of the escape. Honestly, to this outsider, it looks like the good old boy network is alive and well there.

Yes, VW is to blame for this entire tragic fiasco, and had she not taken her own life, I think she should have been held fully accountable for her actions, and should have faced the harshest of penalties. I do think, however, there is enough blame to go around, and several must bear their share, even if they had no legal culpability. Someone earlier in this thread suggested the jail needs to be internally investigated. I am not sure that an internal investigation is needed, so much as perhaps an external investigation into practices and procedures at that facility is desperately needed, before the next such fiasco causes an even more tragic loss of life. JMO
When sports coaches get fired when a team doesn't perform well, and that's "just" sports, methinks there should be some shuffling around of management in that facility!!!

Sad thing is that if VW had been investigated for an inappropriate relationship and fired, she might be alive today.
In a perfect world, VW could have simply retired-- moved to the beach where her mom and nephew could come visit. :( She could even have gone on to play the internet inmate pen-pal game and fund their commissary accounts!

Last edited:

“She just did her job,”

Yes I agree she could of retired gone to buy a beach house and live happily ever after.

In a perfect world, VW could have simply retired-- moved to the beach where her mom and nephew could come visit. :( She could even have gone on to play the internet inmate pen-pal game and fund their commissary accounts!
But Vicky knew this. Everything you’re suggesting here Vicky knew she could have and do: The little beach house, her mom and nephew— even inmate pen pals, Casey being one of them, and with her awards and reputation, they probably would have allowed her to be a retiree visiting advocate, coming to see him as a mentor.

It’s obvious that she (in her mind) had to spring Casey out and live with him on the run, if only for a brief time….and even if that meant her death.

But Vicky knew this. Everything you’re suggesting here Vicky knew she could have and do: The little beach house, her mom and nephew— even inmate pen pals, Casey being one of them, and with her awards and reputation, they probably would have allowed her to be a retiree visiting advocate, coming to see him as a mentor.

It’s obvious that she (in her mind) had to spring Casey out and live with him on the run, if only for a brief time….and even if that meant her death.
It's tragic but as psychologists have opined (and I agree), this was what CW wanted, in his mind, and VW failed to see beyond his desires. Clearly, CW had nothing to lose, and the loyal civil servant, adopted CW's needs as her own.

Whose needs superseded whose? We'll probably never truly know. I suspect it could have started as a mutual toying with a possibility - one saying to the other "Wouldn't it be great if we could really be together, be out in the real world, be more to each other than just phone conversationalists or pen pals?" Gradually the planted seed of an idea took root and carefully, casually became more real, more desired.

One thing I did notice as we were able to eavesdrop (so to speak) on what VW's thoughts were at the end. Never once did she suggest they surrender to LE. Never once did she acknowledge it was over and the best and safest thing to do was give up. She wanted to get out and run. Til the end, she expressed ways to keep the fantasy life going. Speaks volume of how invested she was. All jmo

Last edited:

He’s a horrible dangerous person.
And…Suicide is a sad ending but I want to talk about her.
She sure was bossing him around in the wrecked car on that 911 call. I think she chastised him for needing to stay in a hotel. The airbags, we need to run, etc..Perhaps she sought a relationship with a younger (challenged?) incarcerated guy that she could control. JMO but it turned out rather selfish concerning the wake of innocents she left in her “plan-path”.
Then she just checks out.
Unless she had been coming undone.
She sure sounded controlling though…

MOO

This is an interview with CW's mother, which she says she has talked to CW post-capture and she also goes into detail about VW where she says she didn't know VW was a prison guard until it made the news. She also says she met VW once.
Wow. VW was certainly bold. I suspect more knew and they dont want to talk.jmo

Wow. VW was certainly bold. I suspect more knew and they dont want to talk.jmo

Also I think CW's mom is probably a good proxy for how VW felt - that CW was basically innocent of anything, which if he did anything wrong it was because he was off his meds...it might even be true, but she should have hired a lawyer as she apparently talked about doing instead of busting him out of jail and being armed to the teeth.

She sure was bossing him around in the wrecked car on that 911 call. I think she chastised him for needing to stay in a hotel. The airbags, we need to run, etc..Perhaps she sought a relationship with a younger (challenged?) incarcerated guy that she could control. JMO but it turned out rather selfish concerning the wake of innocents she left in her “plan-path”.

MOO
I gathered that same vibe when listening to the 911 recording. She sounded a lot more forceful, verbally, than I expected. Especially, if she said “we should have stayed at the effin motel.” But I guess I kind of go back and forth with my thoughts because I also felt the fear in her voice. It sounded like she really didn’t want to get slammed by the airbags and didn’t want to wreck and didn’t want to get surrounded by LE. I definitely did not hear even a moment of wanting to surrender. In the end, I believe she was smitten with this guy who was able to wooo her so to speak. I’m wondering if looking back she has a pattern of being with “bad boys.” I’m a quiet, “sweet,” smart woman who I would think others would describe me different than what I’ve lived. Nothing at all drastic like this but I had a pattern of bad boy husbands, boyfriends. While I really am quiet, sweet, kind, caring, smart I’ve always been drawn to the “bad boy.” Again, not the accused murderer type or even violent criminal type and have never considered dating anyone in prison, it still goes against what my family would view me as, if that makes sense. Someone posted previously that the first time she wrote him she was owned (something to that effect). So basically, she had to stay with it or face losing quite a bit. Back to the post above, I also wonder if considered having more power in the “relationship?” I mean she had the most to lose so I wouldn’t think so but you bring up a great point about him possibly being challenged? Is that the right way to put it? No offense, if not. I just read an article poster previously that his mom said he loved her but my exes mom would say that about her son too so I don’t take a lot from her statement. Not saying it isn’t true though. There’s just so much we don’t know. IMO. Overlook errors because I’m on my phone.

MOO
There was a woman in my family who worked with addicts and people who’d been in and out of rehab and jail. She didn’t go as far as Vicky, but definitely had an illegal affair with a client. I came to the same conclusion about her as you have very probably rightly come to about Vicky: These types of women definitely want to take charge of younger, “broken” males.

I don't get a "bad boy" hang-up vibe from Vicky at all. She divorced her bad-boy husband pretty quickly because of his drug habit, after all.

I get more of a misguided care-taking vibe from her, similar to CW's mother. Something about CW excessively tugged Vicky's care-taking strings. I've read many interviews with former detainees at that jail and all of them talk about how kind, caring and human she was. It seems she was the same - albeit over the top - with Casey White. Writing him, calling him, talking about hiring lawyers to help him, visiting his grandchild, sending Christmas gifts to his children, and ultimately freeing him herself as a last resort.

I don't think she was attracted to bad boys at all. I think she was on a seriously misguided mission to "rescue" him. Similar to a parent bailing out their child time and time again. Why Casey White evoked such an excessive response in her, I do not know. Perhaps his dire situation simply provoked an equally dire response from her. She helped detainees with a lot of "small" things, it seems. But Casey needed a "big" thing and she rose to the occasion. We see parents do this kind of thing all the time on here. That's the vibe I get from Vicky. Parental. Caretaking. Not "I love bad boys". IMO

Link to the letter writing, calling, sending gifts to his kids, visiting his grandchild, talking of hiring lawyers. The rest is all my own opinion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member