AL AL - Heaven Ross, 11, Northport, 19 Aug 2003

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
JOHNNY:

That's interesting......according to the article in the Tuscsloosa News she has relatives down at the Gulf.........I hope this turns out to be where she is.

Actually, The Flora- Bama is a world famous & really NEAT place.....they have never had any trouble there and if you are ever down at the Gulf, you should go. It is right before the Florida state line at Perdido Key. They have fantastic entertainment, especially on Sunday afternoons. Great food.

JOHNNY:

The Foley sighting would make sense as it's very close to the Gulf.

Haven't heard anything new......another case of "Societies Acceptance"

We get involved so others don't have too!

Maybe I watch too many movies but this is just freaky.

The logical side has to ask though, do you think the fire was set to cover up evidence of something? If so, why now when the search has been scaled down and it isn't frontpage news anymore.

Still checking for anything on the area papers but just like with so many missing people, no leads/gossip -- no story -- no publicity.

JOHNNY:
We used to be members of Christ Episcopal Church there and I posted a recipe in the Thanksgiving thread which was our rector's great little recipe for Ham in a Bag. I know who Stan Pate is now.....will finish reading the article now! There is NO WAY any $ was stolen. THANKS....

JOHNNY: I have now read both articles. Stan Pate is a good guy.....don't know the Channell lady......she's probably not connected to Christ Church.....read the last article first and in haste, so thought she was accusing Christ Church of theft......

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20031005/NEWS/310050372/1007

Here's the article ...but check out the background picture??? what is that of??

Family of missing girl finds scorn, little solace
Interracial couple says prejudice is behind criticism

By Stephanie Taylor
Staff Writer
October 05, 2003

Email this story.

Beth Lowery has found at least one person to come to her defense -- her son Blake, 16, who said that she has always worked hard to support the family.

• Discuss this story

A mysterious fire at their trailer and, more recently, accusations of theft against volunteer searchers have spawned speculation that the parents of Heaven LaShae “Shae" Ross know more about her disappearance than they are letting on.

“It’s gotten to where it’s almost unbearable for us to go out in the public, because we know we’re going to be scrutinized," said Shae’s mother, Beth Lowery.

Lowery and her common-law husband, Kevin Thompson, reported Shae missing on Aug. 19, a Tuesday morning, saying that she left their home in Willowbrook Trailer Park headed for her school bus stop at the end of the road but never made it.

Lowery, 34, said she believes that prejudice has led some people to disbelieve her and Thompson about what happened to Shae and that, as a result, hurtful rumors have circulated.

“I think it has to do with the fact that we’re a mixed couple and we live in a trailer park," Lowery said. “And it’s not the best looking trailer, but it’s mine. I’ve worked to pay for a roof over our heads."

Although Thompson, 33, said the family has had some problems, he believes, like Lowery, that racism and classism are at the root of the rumors.

“We haven’t been through more than your average, working-class couple has been through," he said.

During the first few days after Shae’s disappearance, police repeatedly questioned them and searched his family’s property in Fosters, Lowery and Thompson said.

They said they understood police were being thorough by checking them out, but felt like 11 days was too long to focus on them.

“We feel like it took them too long to clear us -- we don’t know to this day if we are," Thompson said. “They spent too much time on us."

“If we had done anything to Shae, why would we have even gone and told the police about it?" Lowery said. “I do understand, though, you’ve got to think about how many parents murder and hurt their children every year."

Lowery and Thompson said they have heard rumors that they sold or traded their daughter for drugs or drug money.

“That is just the most insane thing I’ve ever heard. I am so shocked about that one," she said.

Lowery also denounced a rumor she has heard that Shae was pregnant by a 20-year-old boyfriend, and that Lowery had taken her out of town to have the baby.

“What kind of mother would let their 11-year-old have a 20-year-old boyfriend?" she said.

Family problems
Both she and Thompson admit that they have, over the course of their 11-year-relationship, had fights with each other that turned physical. And Lowery’s son, Blake, and Thompson had a fight several months ago that involved shoving, but blows weren’t exchanged, Blake said.

“Show me a step-son who hasn’t fought with his step-father. That’s what they’re going to do. There’s no perfect home," he said.

Blake, 16, said he believes that some people look down on their family because Thompson and Lowery are a mixed-race couple.

“Just because we have a black step-dad -- you shouldn’t criticize that. I’ve never had my real dad in my life, I respect Kevin," he said.

Blake defended his mother, and said that she has always worked hard to keep him, Shae and their sister, Alex, 13, clothed and fed.

Beth Lowery said that a social worker from the Department of Human Resources did visit their home once, in 1997.

“That was a vendetta call. She even told us that when she came out and found nothing wrong," she said. “Someone was mad at me."

A DHR spokeswoman said that case files are confidential.

Lowery said that Shae was always the peacemaker during arguments in their household, and that her absence has brought them closer.

“It’s making us stronger. We’ve got nothing but the four of us left, we’ve all come closer together. One of our fears was 'Oh God, Shae is gone, what’s going to happen to us,’ but we’ve put everything aside to survive and bring her back," she said.

Thompson said that being a father had caused him to stay out of trouble.

“I’ve had some problems in my life. That was back in my 20s. As you get older, you get wiser. I don’t go around that environment any more," he said.

“If it hadn’t been for Shae-Shae, I would’ve probably ended up in places I shouldn’t have been in, doing things I had no business doing."

He said that he has been arrested before, and has a drug possession case from last year still pending.

“I was in the wrong place at the wrong time," he said. “I think people are judging me because of that. There’s nothing going on in our lives that the police and the FBI don’t know about."

Rift with volunteers
A rift between the family and volunteers last week left the volunteer center that had been set up to coordinate searches closed and both parties not speaking. Pam Channell, who has headed volunteer efforts, said she would never speak with family members again.

Lowery accused Channell of stealing a $500 check from Christ Episcopal that was intended for the family. She also accused Channell of taking donations intended for a family trust fund and keeping the money for herself.

Channell said that she has cashed several checks and given the cash to Lowery, and adamantly denies taking any money. She also said that she never set up a trust account for the family, as Lowery claims.

The Northport Police Department’s Criminal Investigations Division is still looking into the report on the $500 check, Sgt. Kerry Card said.

The fight about the money escalated to a shouting match at the volunteer center last week that the police were called to resolve, and prompted the volunteers to completely sever ties with the family.

It was a split that had been coming for about two weeks, Channell said.

She said that the volunteers were unhappy with the parents’ participation during a trip to Orange Beach. A couple had reported to police that they saw a girl that might be Shae at the FloraBama Lounge.

A group, including the volunteers and parents, left Northport for the coast on Sept. 10, a Wednesday, and passed out fliers and talked to people in the area.

The volunteers said that they were out searching the following Friday morning and couldn’t get in touch with the parents. When they did, Lowery and Thompson were on their way back to Tuscaloosa.

“The mother and daddy should have been the ones still down there," Channell said.

Beth Lowery said that Channell was lying. She said that she and Thompson were searching that morning, and had called the volunteers several times. When they heard that the volunteers were in Foley, they headed back north also, she said.

A fire in the family’s trailer the next week created an even greater divide between the volunteers and family.

“After the fire, the volunteers got together and decided that there was something suspicious," Channell said.

A Northport Fire Department spokesman said that the Alabama deputy fire marshal is expected to release a report stating the fire’s cause early next week. Right now, the cause is listed as undetermined.

Channell said that she believes that Shae’s disappearance is not a stranger abduction, as Lowery and Thompson have claimed, and she believes people in the community know that something is not right with the picture the parents have painted.

“I think that the general public knows that we have done for the child," she said.

Channell said that she had pledged $10,000 of her money to a reward fund that has grown to $75,000, but that she would withdraw that pledge if it is legal for her to do so.

“I don’t know what to think."

Justin Hamilton works at Movie Gallery in Northport. The store has had a flier with Shae’s picture in their window since she was reported missing.

“I don’t know what to think. One minute I think one thing, the next I thing something else," he said. “However it comes out, it’s a sad situation."

Beth Green of Tuscaloosa has followed the case since the beginning. She said she is surprised that Northport would be the scene for such a missing child case.

“I’m not surprised that with money coming in from so many places that eventually there would be a conflict. Still, the little girl is gone," she said.

Shae’s face has become a familiar one, here and statewide. Stores in Northport and Tuscaloosa continue to display fliers in their windows and drive-throughs. Her image has been shown on the Jumbotron at University of Alabama football games and the EA Sports 500 race in Talledega.

Northport McDonald’s manager Sheryl Jones said that the business had a collection jar on their counter a few weeks ago, and that the money was used to feed the volunteer searchers who came in. They removed the jar when the volunteers set up an account with B.F. Goodrich, but Jones said McDonald’s will continue to help in any way needed.

“Some of the crew who work here knew her and know her mother. Since it’s so close to the community, we wanted to help anyway we could," she said. “Regardless of what’s being said, we’ll still try to help anyway we can."

Reach Stephanie Taylor at 722-0210 or stephanie.taylor@tuscaloosanews.com

JOHNNY:

I cannot believe she's playing the race card......Look at everything so many people have done for her......

Johnny,

without registering we can't read that last link, would you mind pasting a few of the important parts?

Thanks...

ROCKY:

I don't think you have to register with the Tuscaloosa News in order to access Johnny's link. To get a clear and fair picture it's best to read the entire article....there is a lot in it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Painauchocolat2024
Back