AL AL - J.B. Beasley, 17, & Tracie Hawlett, 17, Ozark, 31 July 1999 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding the semen not being the result of the murder.

Has it been said what JB was doing in the early evening before she picked Tracie up? Could she have had a mutual encounter with a male friend during that time?

Perhaps the girls were killed so quickly becuase the killer, once he had the girls under his control, could not perform and in his anger and rage he killed them and threatened his accomplice (Barrentine?) and ran him off? It could explain Barrentine arriving home late and so shook up from an apparent trip to buy milk.

The grease stain has not been confirmed by LE, has it?

Grease stain does not equal mechanic (necessarily).

Grease stain in an otherwise spotless car, after car is found with 2 dead females, is suggestive of nefarious activity for sure.

Why didn't LE press harder for the driver of the truck to come forward, or really hammer on vehicle registrations in the local area. Maybe they didn't have that database then, but, they sure would now.

The driver of the white truck in Mickey's case never came forward. His truck was caught on video also. The driver was the murderer. FWIW

Wondergirl, your last post to me, goes back to all the accusations of a cover up by local LE. Ozark PD was/is a small town PD w/o a lot of the resources a bigger city would have, but surely they had the ability to check out the vehicles as you said. Plus, they also had the option of calling on bigger agencies for help. Unfortunately for us, we have no way of knowing how far they went to chase down and identify the white truck

The grease stain has not been confirmed by LE, has it?

Grease stain does not equal mechanic (necessarily).

Grease stain in an otherwise spotless car, after car is found with 2 dead females, is suggestive of nefarious activity for sure.

http://web.archive.org/web/20010409232745/http://www.wiregrass.com/ozark/chronology.html

Preliminary Hearing Leads to Grand Jury
Monday September 20, 1999 5:35 p.m.

There wasn't much evidence released by the state today in the preliminary hearing of John William Barrentine, 28, of Ozark. The only real piece of evidence that was released, was that there was a grease stain in the back seat on the drivers side of the Mazda 929 belonging to J.B. Beasley, one of the victims in the case. Police are in the process of trying to link the grease stain to Barrentine.

and

>>>> A possible grease stain that was found in the back seat of the Mazda 929 on the drivers side, is trying to be matched to gloves that were found in the glove box of Barrentine's car. The gloves are in the forensics lab at present with the results still pending.>>

At that same link:

Barrentine was working at Flemming Foods in Geneva, but wasn't an employee of the company. He worked for truck drivers who were delivering goods to the plant, and helped them unload their trucks.

Hmmm cooking oil or shortening would be greasy.

Still same link:

Police Think a Local Person is Responsible for Slaying
Monday August 9, 1999 8:00 p.m.

Ozark Police Chief Tony Spivey, held a news conference today at 4:00 p.m. and disclosed that the person (s) responsible for the murder is more than likely a local person. He attributes this suspicion to forensic evidence, which he doesn't want to disclose at this time.

Interesting

and:

More Details Released in Shooting
Tuesday August 3, 1999

Police have said that a large amount of evidence was left in the car including at least one shell casing from the handgun that was used in the shooting.

If only LE would share more about the "large amount of evidence so we can help!

Thank you to original poster for this link. I forgot who it was but much appreciated!

all imo

Jade- thank-you for bringing that here- my poor ADD brain struggles to remember so many things from early in the thread. It was really helpful.

About Barrentine's job at Fleming Foods. They were a wholesale grocer in Geneva. They have since sold out to Sysco. Fleming did not have paid employees working the loading dock when the semi trucks arrived. The truck drivers were responsible for unloading their own trucks.

So each day, a group of men waits just outside the gates of the company. The trucker will hire(not sure how many) guys to help him unload the truck with him. He pays them cash out of his pocket to help him. Sounds like this is what Barrentine was doing plus working part time at the garage.

Today I contacted both America's Most Wanted and The Maury Povich Show about obtaining video copies of the episodes that featured this case. I'm awaiting replies from both shows. If they do have videos available, I will ask permission to share them here on WS.

Dime Detective, when you were taking pictures, by any chance were you already thinking in that direction and take a peek around when you took the picture of the front of the business?

The picture I posted of American Towing wasn't one of mine. I found it here:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4017-Andrews-Ave-Ozark-AL-36360/2122746851_zpid/

We didn't get into the Daniels Auto Repair/American Towing conversation until after I had visited Ozark, so I didn't get any pictures of this location.

KR, did you end up going to Ozark today?

Has it been said what JB was doing in the early evening before she picked Tracie up?

I've never seen this mentioned in MSM reports. On one hand I'm curious and would like to know, but on the other it seems this would've been mentioned if J.B.'s activities earlier in the day could possibly somehow be connected to what happened that night.

Just a random blurb about the "mechanic's grease", I've known mechanics that really dont use rags for their hands. If they ever got something greasy on their hands; They'd just wipe it on their pants or backsides. I can see where; after working on a vehicle a glob or smear of grease can be transferred to the seat.
And someone brought up the fact that the spare tire could have been moved to the backseat temporarily to make room for the bodies. But what happened to the spare after that? Wasn't there a way to store it under the carpeting instead of moving it to the backseat? And was it replaced after putting the bodies in the trunk? I'd hate to think that..
Very good speculations guys. Still makes me wonder.

Today I contacted both America's Most Wanted and The Maury Povich Show about obtaining video copies of the episodes that featured this case. I'm awaiting replies from both shows. If they do have videos available, I will ask permission to share them here on WS.

The picture I posted of American Towing wasn't one of mine. I found it here:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4017-Andrews-Ave-Ozark-AL-36360/2122746851_zpid/

We didn't get into the Daniels Auto Repair/American Towing conversation until after I had visited Ozark, so I didn't get any pictures of this location.

KR, did you end up going to Ozark today?

I've never seen this mentioned in MSM reports. On one hand I'm curious and would like to know, but on the other it seems this would've been mentioned if J.B.'s activities earlier in the day could possibly somehow be connected to what happened that night.

That would be wonderful if you could post the episodes. I have not seen either of them.

I did not not make it to Ozark today. Our schedules have been crazy. And the cat- she will walk fine on the leg, but then limp a bit. We have went back and forth on taking her . At this time we've decided to run over tomorrow morning since the vet is open on Saturday morning. Just to make sure she doesn't have a small break. My offer still stands if anyone has a place they would like me to go by and photograph. My plan is to go by American Towing for sure.

I had never thought about JB's earlier activities having a connection to the murders. It is a good theory though. Someone could've followed them all evening.

Photo from The Dothan Eagle, August 1, 2008:

Vigil2008-1.jpg

http://www.dothaneagle.com/news/image_409f09dc-cd6c-57ef-8553-2b6b1f5d1160.html

I think the hospital connection is worth exploring, however, I am leaning towards it having no significance. After looking at the map again, I think that the area where the car was left was one of the few places "in town" that had no nearby houses and dense tree coverage.
I think the perp lived within walking distance.

As far as Berrentine being the murderer: Loads of evidence in the car, reports of him being slow (so unlikely to pull one over on LE)...no charges against him for anything? I find it hard to believe with those two circumstances he would still be a major suspect. Even if he was a witness, the police weren't able to break him? He could be the biggest distraction to this case.

I heard an interesting but unsleuthable rumor that I won't repeat here. But anyways, I wonder if Berrentine heard about what happened from the perp later that night when he was out (to pick up milk or drugs or whatever) and then started clumsily looking into it to see if it was true.
That would explain his changing story and also his knowledge of the crime.

Noting is unsleuthable, really. People will always "talk", the usual he-said she-said. But have you ever noticed that when one person gets mad at another sometimes out of spite they spill the beans and have evidence to back it up? I think it's only a matter of time before someone slips up and says something extraordinary and it catches our attention. Especially with all of our good leads we have to offer LE so far.
I agree that the hospital may not have something to do with it.
IMHO Barrentine was told to shut-up or he was going to lose everything that he'd ever worked for. LE was trying to wrap up the case and if Barrentine was "innocent" as his lawyer was paid to prove; Barrentine was stuck between a rock and a hard place. Because the people he claimed to have "assisted", (given a ride to ect.) no longer were in the area. He then recants his story, waits three months for the tides to turn and packs up his family and leaves before they can find more than just "circumstantial" evidence.
Who else would have been the perfect fall guy? Maybe they LE know that the real killer planned it that way, and are just waiting for persons unknown to re-surface. Or for someone to be brave enough to step forward with the information people were truly looking for. This is all just my Speculation, of course.
But looking at the chain of events, it seems a likely scenario.

Hi everyone, I'm just popping in to look at the more recent posts.

If anyone (mods?) thinks it would be worth getting in touch with LE with the pictures. I can try to make them a bit clearer than the ones I posted but I don't think the logo can be made much better, even with significant work I believe it would still look quite blurry due to the fact that it's a security camera picture. However, I'm not sure if it would be much use, given all the rumours that local LE is corrupt and the fact that her relative said that it might even be connected to the death of Tracie's father.

Secondly, I think there isn't much we can do with the grease stain unless we know what it was for. As someone I replied to on one of my last posts said (I can't find that post for some reason), LE would have ways of figuring out where the grease stain is from. Is it car grase? Food grease? To me they suggest scenarios that are probably different and being able to find out where it's from, maybe even what kind of vehicle it was more likely from if it was from one, could be more helpful in narrowing it down.

Finally, as to the hospital connection. It could be a coincidence or just a red herring. If it was related, maybe someone who was recently discharged? Maybe he got hurt when trying to get to the girls? Etc. Or it could have been someone who worked there. I think it fits in with the earlier scenario of someone pretending to be injured, they could have told the girls they were headed for the hospital. I wonder if there are any other places near the hospital that are relatively isolated and could have been the crime scene, or if the wooded area near where the car was found could have been it (I think it was found out that it wasn't). The girls could have driven him to a location close to the hospital, then he killed them and drove a short distance to where the car was found.

Does anyone think it would be worth getting in touch with that person claiming to be Tracie's relative? I can try to e-mail them.

I think that would be a great Idea. To get a Mod involved to contact LE with the pics and comparisons. I hope it's a good lead. Good Luck.

Guys, unless something completely unplanned comes up, I am going to Ozark tomorrow to check on a few things. I was so busy over the weekend and today-whew- work is back to normal and I am giving myself a day off tomorrow! DH took kitty to the vet Saturday- no break, just bruised. SHe's much better.

I want to check out the former Daniels Garage/American Towing location. I just looked the address up and according to the map it is downtown near the intersection of Andrews Ave/123. I really want to check it out. If this is true, to me that really makes the garage scenario with the employees(Barrentine) being involved more likely that ever. It also puts the girls driving right past it, whether their directions took them out Andrews Ave(27) or down Union Ave(123) to get back to hwy 231.

And I will be glad to check out any other area if someone would like for me to.

Google maps has the garage location out near Campground road which is partway between Ozark and the Ft Rucker gate. Mapquest has it downtown. I suppose I will find out tomorrow. When I google the address, it comes up as both Daniels Auto Repair and American Towing....

The Beasley-Hawlett Murders — The Daytona Beach Killer:
Connected?

_____​

Were the Beasley-Hawlett murders the work of an early serial killer? Did the girls cross paths that night with the man now known as The Daytona Beach Killer?

I've been researching unsolved homicides that could possibly be connected to the Beasley-Hawlett murders. While some of us feel that whoever killed J.B. and Tracie may have done it before, I think many of us feel that whoever killed the girls very likely did not stop there. And, as no similar crimes have been committed in southeast Alabama in the years since, the killer must have moved on.

The Daytona Beach Killer first caught my eye as a possible connection based simply on geography and timeframe. From there I discovered many more points of interest that strengthened the theory that J.B. and Tracie could have been murdered by the DBK. Here's what I've found so far; points of interest to the Beasley-Hawlett murders are bolded:

THE DAYTONA BEACH KILLER: FOUR MURDERS

Between December 2005 and December 2007, four women were found murdered in Daytona Beach, Florida:

1. Laquetta Gunther, 45, was found in an alley on December 26, 2005. She had been shot once in the head, execution-style. The killer's DNA was recovered from the scene. No attempt was made by the killer to conceal the body.

2. Julie Green, 34, was found on January 14, 2006. She had been shot once in the head, execution-style. Though no DNA was found at the scene, no attempt was made to conceal the body. Tire tracks belonging to a 2003 Ford Taurus or Mercury Sable were found at the scene. LE later located the exact tires that had left the tracks.

3. Iwana Patton, 35, was found on a dirt road on February 24, 2006. She had been shot once and it appears she may have struggled with her killer. No attempt was made to conceal the body. DNA was recovered from the scene and was later found to be a match to the DNA recovered from the scene of the Laquetta Gunther murder. A shell casing was recovered from the scene that allowed LE to identify the make and model of pistol used. Ballistics linked the weapon to the Gunther and Green murders.

Although a 9mm was used in the Beasley-Hawlett murders and the weapon used in these three murders was found to be a .40-caliber Smith & Wesson Sigma Series VE, this discovery immediately led LE to wonder if the murders had been committed by a police officer or a former police officer. (More on this below.)

4. Stacey Charlene Gage, 30, was found January 2, 2008. LE believed she had been killed about three weeks earlier, on December 11, 2007. She had been shot once in the head, execution-style. Immediately LE noticed that circumstances surrounding the Gage murder were "eerily similar" to the unsolved Gunther-Green-Patton homicides. A year later, on January 23, 2008, LE formally announced that Stacey Charlene Gage had indeed been murdered by the same man who killed Gunther, Green, and Patton.

Gunther, Green, and Patton were believed by LE to have worked as prostitutes in the Daytona Beach area. The discovery of a link between the Gage murder and those of Gunther, Green, and Patton brought LE to a new conclusion: because Gage had no criminal record involving prostitution but she did have a history of drug problems, LE now believed that what linked the victims was more than likely the fact that they all voluntarily accompanied their killer, possibly in a vehicle. (For more on this, see killer's profile below.)

THE I-10 CONNECTION

The four linked murders detailed above are among 28 unsolved homicides in Florida alone that have been connected to serial killings by the FBI. The Bureau suspects that many or all of these murders may have been committed by long-haul truckers. An astounding 19 of these murders occurred along Interstate 4 between Tampa and Daytona Beach, a distance of only 140 miles.

With this I-4 fact in mind, I wanted to check for any popular trucking routes that might lead a trucker to the Dothan/Ozark area. The most obvious link was Interstate 10, the southernmost transcontinental highway in the U.S., stretching from Jacksonville, FL to Santa Monica, CA.

The first interesting fact I discovered is that most of I-10 in Florida travels through some of the least-populated areas in the state. This led me to think that perhaps a long-haul trucker/serial killer might really favor this particular stretch of I-10, which would be long on remote, isolated spots.

That's when I noticed that, traveling along I-10, exactly between Marianna, FL and Chipley, FL, I-10 is intersected by U.S. 231, the same route J.B. and Tracie left the Big/Little Store in search of on the night of July 31, 1999. Roughly 40 minutes north of the intersection of I-10 and U.S. 231 lies Dothan, Alabama — hometown of J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett. Continue following 231 north for another 20 minutes and you will find yourself in a rural, isolated area with a low population: Ozark.

THE KILLER'S PROFILE

According to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, the profile of the suspect, as generated by profiler Tom Davis, is as follows (all points of interest to the Beasley-Hawlett case bolded):

• Probably in a dysfunctional relationship with a woman.

• Has little control over the relationship, which may be the catalyst for his attacks.

• Victims were chosen at random.

• Victims are a substitute for a close female interest.

• Most likely clean-cut man who is employed.

• Articulate and well-groomed.

• May seem "normal."

• Good social and verbal skills.

• May also have a volatile temper.

• Average guy from an average neighborhood.

• The killer is said to seek out "substitute victims" in order to relive his rage. He seeks out women from whom he can easily gain confidence. These are women from "high-risk" lifestyles. The murderer made no apparent attempt to hide the bodies, suggesting that he did not plan the disposal of his victim, opting instead to leave them in the area of his attacks.
SUSPECTS

Among several specific one-time persons of interest who have since been ruled out, I found two parties included on lists of potential suspects in the Daytona Beach killings especially alarming in light of the details of the Beasley-Hawlett case:

• Law Enforcement Impersonators.

• Man in a Truck. Reporters from WESH 2 News spoke to a woman who said she was walking down the street in January of 2006 when a truck pulled up next to her. "He pulled over. I thought he was going to ask a question, but he pulled a gun on me and says, 'Get in,'" Nelita Ramos said. She said that she was taken to an alley on Beach Street where the man put the gun to her head. The man reportedly told Ramos she was going to die. After a few hours, during which she begged for her life, Ramos was let go.
THEORIES

Two strong theories held by LE in the case of the DBK are of particular interest when looking for connections to the Beasley-Hawlett murders:

• The killer is LE or former LE. The Daytona Beach News Journal ran a story on March 22, 2006, in reference to the (at that time) three unsolved murders. The story included the following:

Talk around the city that a former cop is the serial killer behind the unsolved murders of three women is not farfetched, a Daytona Beach police captain said Tuesday. "All theories are open right now, including that it could be a former cop," said Capt. Brian Skipper, who oversees the detectives involved in the investigation. "It could be anybody, from any department, from any city."

On April 22, 2006, local police confirmed that police officers were questioned in the slayings.

Many of the area law enforcement agencies issue a .40 caliber weapon to their officers.

• The killer is an out-of-towner. Iwana Patton, the third victim, was killed on February 24th, 2006. Stacey Gage was killed approximately (according to pathologists) December 11, 2007. That is nearly two years between the third and fourth victims. Could the killer have been a visitor to Daytona Beach?

b9e566b6-db78-42ae-9a20-c37f1a194493.jpg

Ozark-Daytona Beach: Did a serial killer roaming the Southeastern U.S. cross paths with J.B. and Tracie?

I'll continue to research and post any items of interest related to a possible DBK connection.

LE Officers with a military background are common. Were any officers working in or around the Daytona Beach area 2005-2008 former military who were stationed at Fort Rucker in the summer of 1999?

Some thoughts on JB & Tracie's killer and DBK being the same person.

(This is pre-coffee ;) )

Where was DBK from 1999-2005?

Was the DNA found on JB compared to the DNA in the Daytona Beach killings?

Is LE aware of the possible Ozark DB connection?

I'm having trouble making the connection between the DBK/trucker theory and Ozark due to the theory of the neighborhood/local connection of JB & Tracie's killer. I know it can be bad to have tunnel vision with regard to a murder investigation however.

It's possible the trucker/killer was traveling through south central AL via hwy 231 and randomly jumped off in Ozark-

however

the trucker theory brings me back to a local spending a few days at home(it being a weekend makes this more likely) off the road. This also gives him access to a smaller vehicle other than his semi to get around in. It would also explain him knowing the areas of Ozark central to the girls case.

Regarding the DBK being an out of towner not from DB- The length of time inbetween the killings there suggests he could be a trucker with a dedicated run that brought him through DB regularly.

How would this tie him to Ozark? Again I go back to Ozark being his home base. If indeed, the girls murder was a crime of opportunity, and probably his first, he likely decided quickly to make future kills away from home as not to get caught. But why always DB? And why did the killings stop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy89