AL AL - J.B. Beasley, 17, & Tracie Hawlett, 17, Ozark, 31 July 1999 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. I haven't been able to get online much due to health issues so I'm now reading the last few pages of the thread.

Since knowing more about the girls would be helpful, I can also get in touch with Tracie's relative unless anyone here has done so already. Since it's an e-mail and this relative specifically requested people to e-mail her, do we need a mod's permission? Can someone ask a mod, please?I'd rather if people who already messaged mods asked this for me or told me wh ich mods they messaged so it won't be all over the place. .
Respectfully Snipped

Sorry to hear about your health Veidt, I hope you are feeling better.
I contacted Kimster (Mod) and she'd told me that DimeDetective can answer these questions.

These are from the list of unsolved murders that DD posted. If I have omitted a name then I never heard of the case, or don't have a thought- mostly just never heard of them.

Most of these murders occured in a bad part of town noted for violence, drugs, and gang activity. It's pretty obvious from reading newspaper articles that they most likely don't have anything to do with the girls murder.

Just keep in mind- this is just MOO.

Robbery

Paul Byrd
Joe Tex Johnson(rumored to keep large amounts of money in his home.)
Nathan Bussey, Jr
Russell Earnest Douglass
Gussie Mae Moody
Flora Pullen Thomas
Perry Griffen(had a large sum of money on him. He was preparing to leave on a buying trip for his business when robbed and killed.)
Rudolph Holsten
Milbon Buddy Floyd
Ruthie Mae Jackson(rumored to keep money in her home)
Verbie Davis ( robbed in her little country store. She lived in the back and worked alone)
RJ McKenzie. (Believe this was the homeless man that was robbed and beaten to death in a very bad part of town)
Buford Lolley
Andrew Collazo

Misc

Walter Carthon (lifestyle, bad neighborhood)
Robert Jackson (Drive- by)
Jernathan Chambers( bar fight)
john Robert McCord III (gang related?)
Cynthia Gail Wilson (drug related?)
Sharon Marie Wills-( domestic violence)
Matt helms & Scott Heib ( pretty sure this one is drug related and only one of the men was the target but the other was killed because he was there. They were room mates)
Danny Paul Milner (Killed by someone he knew.)

Well, that's my take on them FWIW.

Hey KR,
You know what I found odd? Other than the fact she was murdered I can't find any information on Holly Respress.

c/p from DD's Article. Did they confirm that she was from Yates murder spree?

Holly Respress
Homicide: Sept. 5, 1991
What happened: Found just outside Daleville dead from injuries she suffered from blunt force trauma of boot

W/o researching it, I remember there being a female victim here- Dale county-maybe Daleville area- that they investigated Yates for. They were confident she was his victim, but they were never able to prove it. Might have been Holly. I can't remember. Going by only her name, I don't remember anything.

We have our share of murders here. But even unsolved, most of them are pretty obvious that it was related to lifestyle or they were robbed because they were in or lived in a bad area.

I can remember 1 unsolved murder here. I don't think it was on Dime Detective's list. Maybe because it occurred in FL. But it was still somewhat local to this area. I believed it was in Graceville-if not it was near. A young mother and her little girl were murdered in their home one night. They were last seen the evening before they were found at a Christmas parade. It might have been Chilpey. But it was one of the small FL towns on the AL border. I just did a brief search but got nothing. This would've been late 80s, early 90s. I'll look some more. It is the only killing of this kind I can remember other than some disappearances we've had- like Kem Ramer in Opp.

Dime Detectective- are you familiar with the case I'm talking about?

This is probably not connected, as the killer in question strangled his victims, but posting since location and time frame match up:

The department published an intelligence bulletin alerting authorities in Florida, Alabama and Georgia about Little's case, noting he lived in the area on and off in the 1980s, 1990s and 2000s.

"We strongly encouraged them to look at any unresolved homicides that they had during those time frames and then consider him as a potential suspect," said Jeff Fortier, a special agent supervisor at the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/04/07/serial-killer-samuel-little/2061491/

I'd say probably not. Serial killers can and do change their MO, but as old as he would have been he probably had already established his MO. The girls don't fit IMO.

I understand why current ' hot ' unsolved cases LE wants to keep things close and quiet and not give off too much more information than the public needs to be safe or be looking out for a perp of this description. But I do not see why in a case like this , LE wouldn't be happy to share info if it might help solve it. Has anyone attempted to contact the department in charge and just see what they may say to sharing info or answering the questions you have? I don't know how it could hurt. I do fear if they had the guy in their grasp but never had enough evidence to prosecute him that they may not share , just in case they can get him later. But if it's truly no suspect, no clue, no new leads, then why not share the info. It's worth a try .................dime detective ;) ;)

BBM.

I'm all for contacting LE once we're prepared with solid lists of tips we want to pass on and questions we want to ask. I'm working on going through the thread and compiling items of interest for these lists. Once I have these lists together I'll post them here and anyone interested in adding, subtracting, clarifying, discussing, etc. can do so and I'll just revise and update as we go. I want to make sure everyone has the opportunity to contribute/offer their two cents/ask their questions.

And then once we have two good succinct lists that cover everything that we feel is relevant, I'll call it in, pass on the tips and ask our questions. This will be better than calling multiple times (though of course if we should come up with further tips in the future, we'll certainly want to communicate those to LE). I say this in reference to Kimster's advice on contacting LE:

"As long as you are not 'bugging' them and have a viable tip, it is fine to call them! And you can tell them you are posting on Websleuths. You just need to make positively sure they realize you are not representing WS in any way."

I contacted Kimster (Mod) and she'd told me that DimeDetective can answer these questions.

As far as contacting family members of the victims, here's what Kimster advised:

"This is a touchy situation and I'll tell you it's because the owners don't EVER want to hear they were bothered by members on Websleuths. Our stance is that they are going through hell already and don't need more.

We can't dictate what our members do so if you feel the need to contact [family members], make sure you don't appear to represent WS. You do not want the owners to get an email about harassment."

In my humble opinion, it will be best if we take contacting family on a case-by-case basis. In the case of the cousin I would say it's fine to e-mail her since she has openly requested contact by e-mail.

Otherwise, IMHO, as long as we use our best judgement, are sensitive and respectful, and don't make any further attempts at contact if we try once and don't receive a response, we'll be okay.

What does everyone else think about this?

The problem with this case for me is that because there's such little information regarding the social lives of our victims leading up to the murders its hard to make a judgement as to what exactly we're dealing with. Is it a local known to them with a grudge where maybe jealousy or revenge played a factor, a local sexual offender type unknown to them that took advantage of an opportunity or a transient mobile type offender they happened to cross paths with.

For instance it would be good to know if they had been going out regularly over that summer, what was their normal routine on the weekends, who were their associates, were there any new acquaintances that either girl might have had. Any drama occurring over the summer and even back as far as the previous school year that might have played into the events of that night. There's no question LE would have looked into all of this early on and it would have allowed them have a better understanding of the case. Ultimately they could either further pursue the possibility of it being someone in the girls social circle, on the periphery or rule that theory out to some degree.

From what I've seen reported and some of the comments that came from LE I think their best guess early on was that it was a local or at least someone local enough to be familiar with the area where the car was left and that there was more than one person involved. I've also seen speculation that because of the matter of factness of the murders that this points to it not being his/their first murder. To me those three lines of thought do not mesh well because if they did the potential offender pool would be somewhat limited. Surely after 14 years they would have found something, whether it be from thorough investigation or sheer luck and someone would have been in prison by now preferably the Holman facility awaiting his day. I'd like to know what their best guess is as of today, if they think the perp is a local or friend/family of a local that was in the area at the time or was it a killer that just happened to be passing through. Its hard for me to form an opinion and pursue a certain angle when so many cards are still in play.

BBM.

As with contacting LE, it is a goal to communicate with the girls' families but, as this is a very sensitive situation and it would be completely up to those family members, we may or may not get that chance. ITA, it will help immensely if we can get to know more about the girls, what their social circles and day-to-day lives were like, etc., and I do hope we'll have that opportunity at some point.

I think we're off to a good start if we can communicate with the cousin who solicited contact by e-mail. Let's try that and go from there.

These are from the list of unsolved murders that DD posted. If I have omitted a name then I never heard of the case, or don't have a thought- mostly just never heard of them.

Most of these murders occured in a bad part of town noted for violence, drugs, and gang activity. It's pretty obvious from reading newspaper articles that they most likely don't have anything to do with the girls murder.

Respectfully snipped for space.

Great job, KR! Thank you for your work on this and for offering your invaluable local insight. It really helps to know that you recognize certain places as being in a bad part of town; this is something those of us who aren't local wouldn't be aware of.

I'm still working my way through the list; so far nothing has jumped out at me.

For instance it would be good to know if they had been going out regularly over that summer, what was their normal routine on the weekends, who were their associates, were there any new acquaintances that either girl might have had. Any drama occurring over the summer and even back as far as the previous school year that might have played into the events of that night. There's no question LE would have looked into all of this early on and it would have allowed them have a better understanding of the case. Ultimately they could either further pursue the possibility of it being someone in the girls social circle, on the periphery or rule that theory out to some degree.

Respectfully snipped and BBM.

LR1, while reading your questions above, another question formed in my mind and has been haunting me ever since, and that was:

Why did this happen at the end of summer?

I'm almost 100% certain the date was just a coincidence but I can't shake the fact that Kemberly Ramer disappeared just 45 miles away and two years before, also on the last weekend of summer.

J.B. and Tracie were 2 days away from beginning their senior year of high school; Kemberly was 4 days away from her first day of senior year. Abductions and murders like these are rare in the area.

Summer was ending. I keep trying to think of what this could possibly have to do with anything. Probably nothing, but it's been bugging me. Anyone have any ideas?

Things were ending. Things were beginning.

What happens at the end of summer?

Dime Detectective I am glad that you are willing to be the one to write up all this information. You do an excellent job of bringing things together in such a clear way.

ITA with how you have suggested we present this and to go from here.

I wish we had more to go on with Kem's case. I think I am 50/50 undecided as to whether her case and the girls is related or not. Perhaps the killer learned from his mistakes with the girls. And changed up his MO a bit.

And I still think it's entirely possible as far as the girls are concerned that we could have a 1 time killer who is local, or was local at the time.

I am still limping along on my old desktop. My laptop is in the shop having to be totally wiped and redone. So I might disappear if one day this thing won't start up.

I don't remember seeing much speculation in the media as to the two cases being related, which is odd because as its been point out these things are not a regular occurrence in the wiregrass area and there's some similarities that really stand out. I'm pretty sure the feds were in on the KR case from the get go and more than likely the same agents we're also involved to some degree with JB & Tracie's case. I guess its possible that they are related and there's just not enough evidence to connect them. I may be wrong but I think if they thought they were related they would have made that known by now.

From my fuzzy memory on the Ramer case I think she was very independent for her age maybe even emancipated from her parents and living by herself which in a way is how JB is described as being. The Ramer case looks like a home invasion abduction type and its possible she was targeted over a period of time where JB&T seems more like wrong place wrong time type deal and more of a crime of opportunity. Not that killers can't change their M.O. we know in some cases they do as they evolve in order to not leave a pattern that can be noticed. So two years earlier and two towns over, I'm with killarny rose still sitting on the fence.

Since I last posted, I've had some random thoughts running through my mind about the girls' killer being a trucker, a trucker tied to the Daytona Beach killings and Kem's case related to the girls. Again, I'm not really leaning that way, however, there were(are?) 2 trucking companies based in Opp, Al- HD Edgar trucking, and Faulk Wholesale Grocery which employs truck drivers. And it certainly is not a stretch for someone employed by either company to live in Ozark. I'd like to hear everyones thoughts on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abk018