AL AL - J.B. Beasley, 17, & Tracie Hawlett, 17, Ozark, 31 July 1999 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have looked up other cases similar to this and the one similarity when it comes to the car and bodies found in the trunk is that killer usually parks the car either close to where the victim lives or close to where they live. That could be a reason for the license being out. He might have been looking to see where the girls lived in town. The killer would not know they are from out of town. But then there would probably be fingerprints on the license.

Do you remember the specific cases you found? Anything from the Southeast within the logical time frame?

Thank you for the "Refresher." Unfortunately, Barrentine told so many falsehoods concerning this case his credibility as a witness was ruined. It is sad he didn't come forward and just tell what he saw and what he knew or maybe even what he heard. He probably could have provided useful information that would have aided the investigation. It is a good chance he said what he said in an attempt to collect the reward. Who knows? If he had told the truth and he really did know who the killer was, maybe he would have ended up collecting the reward if it had led to an arrest.

I don't believe Barrentine was the killer or even saw the murders. But, if the ABI investigator is correct in him being able to identify the girls clothing and "other things consistent with the girls and the crime", then he saw them at more than a passing glance. But where he saw them and under what circumstances he saw them is something we will probably never know.

As far as him going to the BP about 11 p.m. and getting milk, did he really do that? Did he bring milk home? If so, did he get it at the BP? He has lied so much, I am skeptical of anything he said unless it is verified by someone else.

Be nice if they would tells us what their present day thinking is on the subject of his possible involvement. Surely they've made that determination by now? Yeah I don't know either so we sit around and speculate. They've been far and wide since his release turning over every rock they can think of without another peep out of them about him. Could be for two reasons, they don't know, or they don't want to have to wipe egg off their face. Both scenarios are equally disturbing.

I'd hate to think someone's sitting around with some helpful information but have chosen not to come forward because they think JWB had to be responsible and it turns out LE determined it wasn't him long ago. The last impression given through the media was even though they had to release him they still thought he had something to do with it. Maybe they still do.

I don't remember seeing that it was verified if or where he got the milk, it would have been around 30 days after the fact so....that has me wondering how much other video they looked at from other stores from about 11pm forward.

Wasn't there a story somewhere where Johnny's wife said he returned from the store (what should have been a 10min trip) at around 1am seeming very distraught and stayed up all night staring at the TV?

ETA: I thought I also remember reading somewhere that it was his wife who gave Spivey that information

http://www.southeastsun.com/home/article_0ed6fb76-add8-58c9-aead-6dd9aee83212.html

According to Huggins(ABI), Barrentine was able to describe the girls' clothing and other items consistent with the girls and the crime.

However, in the Aug. 5 bond hearing, Barrentine took the stand to say that he made up the stories because he was trying to get the substantial reward money which had been offered for information in the case.

Barrentine, who had lived in Ozark for several years and was residing on Young Street with his wife and son, said he went to Ozark Police Chief Tony Spivey several days after the murders to tell him of a rumor. He gave Spivey a name and was told that police had already checked out the rumor and that the man Barrentine named was not a suspect.

Also several days after the murder, Barrentine reportedly said, he and his wife and brother-in-law went to the scene on Herring Street where the Beasley car was found Aug. 1. Barrentine said they were looking for something that might help the police solve the case.

Barrentine told McLauchlin(judge) that he never picked up a tatood man and that he didn't see anything the night of the murders. He said he went to the BP about 11 p.m. to get milk for the little boy.

Barrentine said he was tired and sleepy when he told the story to police in the Aug. 31 interview at the police station. He said he was interviewed for more than four hours and was not told he could go to the bathroom or could leave at any time, as police had testified in the Sept. 20 hearing.

Barrentine said police "tricked me" into telling the story.

Anyone know where the closest BP was in Ozark at that time?

Not sure but I think there might have been one at the intersection of Andrews Ave and Hwy 231.

Buddy Barrentine was not guilty of this. He was a simple minded man and thought he may could get money. This was committed by the son of a police officer who eventually killed himself in a motel in Montgomery. I know this in my heart but cannot be certain. I lived there when this happened and it is still fresh to me. Those poor girls, their poor families. The police departments there and city governments are very corrupt. Not to mention the state government. It is a travesty.

Buddy Barrentine was not guilty of this. He was a simple minded man and thought he may could get money. This was committed by the son of a police officer who eventually killed himself in a motel in Montgomery. I know this in my heart but cannot be certain. I lived there when this happened and it is still fresh to me. Those poor girls, their poor families. The police departments there and city governments are very corrupt. Not to mention the state government. It is a travesty.

This is certainly a popular rumor if nothing else. JMO

I could look up specific cases but basically there is no definitive answer to the car being parked where it was. I have looked up other body in the trunk cases and they range from everything like a police officer pulling someone over and finding a body in a car to finding the victim's car at an apartment complex even if they do not live there. I tended to find a lot of car with body in trunk left at an apartment complex. So there really is no similarity. For all anyone knows J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett's killer could be from a completely different state.

I tend to believe a bit different than others. I tend to think the killer is a random but local individual with very little to no family. The body in the trunk just makes me think that the person did not have a dump site planned and the trunk was simply the best way to hide the bodies. Therefore he and the victims happened upon each other within J.B. Beasley's getting lost in Ozark. I have written that I thought it was because she turned early and ended up in a loop within Ozark. Most she followed her sense of direction because the streets seem rather perpendicular to each other. Or maybe she drove randomly trying to get back to where they were previously so they could start the directions again.

I also tend to think that with J.B. and Tracie going to church the next day and J.B. having her sister's birthday party to attend that there is not much to them having to be back by 11:30 pm. I think if they had some alterior motive to be in Ozark they would have driven directly to Ozark and skipped getting lost. I do understand though why people think this. Their night did seem rather short even they had made it to the party.

Like many murder cases of this type all you can try is to come up with different ideas about what might have happened, but only the people that were there really know for sure.

Barrentine was able to accurately describe the clothes that both girls were wearing. You would think that he would want to disclose what he knew once he became aware that he was dying. We don't know if LE talked to him when he was in the hospital or not. His credibility was gone after all the false stories he told originally. He first said he killed them, then he said he was with a guy he didn't know that was covered in tattoos and that guy killed them. Then lastly, he accused one of his neighbors of killing the girls. All of the stories were not true.

MOO... I don't believe that Barrentine is the killer. I do however believe that he saw them that night because he could identify their clothes. Where he saw them and under what circumstances is unknown.

If there's one thing I'm almost certain of in this case, it's that Barrentine had nothing to do with these murders. If you search his full name many of the old articles are still viewable and its clear to me he was looking to make a quick buck and hadn't a clue how much trouble he was getting himself into. He never admitted killing them. His stories, because they were multiple, was that he was present when it went down. With who depends on which story he was telling at the time. What kills me is the time it took to clear him. Four months and even then he wasn't publicly cleared. I guess he brought it upon himself. If not for the lab finding the DNA old Johnny might have spent his remaining years on death row if not executed. Thankfully the Grand Jury chose not to indict, I think they only took one day. I would need to know what they were wearing and exactly how he described their clothing in order to nail this down permanently. lucky guesses do happen, even from someone with a 7th grade education level.

Wasn't there a story somewhere where Johnny's wife said he returned from the store (what should have been a 10min trip) at around 1am seeming very distraught and stayed up all night staring at the TV?

ETA: I thought I also remember reading somewhere that it was his wife who gave Spivey that information

Here is a collection of excerpts from media reports that illustrates the contradictions and consistencies in stories told by and about Johnny Barrentine:

• At a preliminary hearing and two bond hearings since his Sept. 1 arrest, no physical evidence was presented to link Barrentine to the killings. Authorities said his arrest was based on a statement he gave to police during a four-hour interview at the Ozark Police Department. After telling a series of false stories concerning his whereabouts on the night of July 31, Barrentine was said to have confessed to being on Herring Avenue when a tattooed man shot the girls. Barrentine later said he made up the story to get a $35,000 reward offered for information in the case.

—“Grand jury frees Barrentine,” The Southeast Sun, January 12, 2000

• Barrentine was charged with the murders after he told police he had been a witness to the slayings, but denied being the killer. He told police six different stories about his activities the night of July 31/Aug. 1, then said he had made them all up in order to get some $45,000 in reward money that has been collected.

—“Teen murders spark year-long investigation,” The Southeast Sun, August 3, 2000

• Alan Daniels, who owns the service station where Barrentine had worked for about two months, said Barrentine approached the police, not the other way around. He said Barrentine had information about a suspicious car in the area the night of the girls' disappearance. "He's been trying to work with them for over a week now," Daniels said.

Spivey said police were "confident" they had arrested the right man, but wouldn't say what led authorities to Barrentine. The $29,000 in reward money offered for the arrest and conviction of those responsible for the slayings would not come into play, he said.

"I don't think there's anybody here that believes he did it," Daniels said. "We never had any problems with him. If all this gets resolved, he'd still be welcome back."

Daniels and his wife, Schantal, described Barrentine as a friendly, easy-going man who was "always joking and likable" and did not have a quick or violent temper. Barrentine had a second job, loading or unloading boxes, Daniels said, but he wasn't sure where.

"He tended to stretch the truth a little bit," said Daniels, who suspected Barrentine might have "stuck his foot in his mouth" when talking to police.

Ms. Barrentine, who said her son was interviewed without a lawyer present, said she feared authorities might have pressured him.

—Alt.true-crime (AP story quoted)

• Police arrested Barrentine after he told them he saw a neighbor shoot the girls and failed to provide them with enough information to make an arrest. He also told them contradictory stories about his whereabouts on the night of the murders. He has since admitted that he lied about the indicent in an attempt to claim the reward.

—“Grand jury clears murder suspect,” The Troy Messenger, January 11, 2000

• Dale County District Attorney David Emery disputed Barrentine’s claims, saying he did not seek out the police, but authorities found him after talking with his wife.

“She said he went out July 31, was gone longer than she expected, and came home looking like he was in a state of shock,” Emery told Dale County Circuit Judge P.B. McLauchlin. “He told her a black truck hit him…she said he was so scared he stayed up all night and watched TV.”

Authorities said Barrentine confirmed his wife’s story when questioned about the black truck. On the stand Tuesday, he said it was all a lie. “I don’t know why she would say it,” he said.

—“Suspect takes stand to deny involvement in teens’ deaths,” The Tuscaloosa News, October 10, 1999

• Barrentine, according to Spivey, said he had gone out for milk at 11:30—about the same time that J.B. and Tracie were on the telephone with Tracie's mom.

At first, according to the chief, Barrentine said that on the night of the killings he'd seen a black truck speeding away from the area where the girls were found.

As the interview wore on, Barrentine changed his story several times, finally telling investigators that he'd picked up a man he didn't know and the two drove by the Big/Little store.

Barrentine said the man he'd given a ride got into a car with two girls—who Barrentine identified as the dead girls—and told him to follow. He said they ended up on Herring Avenue. The man got the girls out of the car. Barrentine said he soon heard two gunshots and the man returned. Barrentine gave the man a ride away from the scene, then went home.

Police arrested Barrentine then and there, charging him with two counts of capital murder.

—“Killer still on the loose, baffles police,” The Mobile Register, July 23, 2000

• In a Sept. 21 preliminary hearing, Alabama Bureau of Investigation agent Charles Huggins testified that Barrentine told several different stories about what happened the night of July 31 when he left home to get milk for his 2 1/2-year-old son. However, he testified that in an interview at the Ozark Police Department Aug. 31, Barrentine told police he gave a ride to a tattooed man who suggested they stop and the Big/Little Store on E. Broad Street where the girls were stopped to use a pay phone. Huggins said Barrentine said the man approached the girls, got in the back seat of Miss Beasley's car and drove away with them. He testified Barrentine admitted to watching as the tattooed man struggled with the girls, pulled a gun on them, forced them into the trunk and shot them.

According to Huggins, Barrentine was able to describe the girls' clothing and other items consistent with the girls and the crime.
    However, in the Aug. 5 bond hearing, Barrentine took the stand to say that he made up the stories because he was trying to get the substantial reward money which had been offered for information in the case.

Barrentine, who had lived in Ozark for several years and was residing on Young Street with his wife and son, said he went to Ozark Police Chief Tony Spivey several days after the murders to tell him of a rumor. He gave Spivey a name and was told that police had already checked out the rumor and that the man Barrentine named was not a suspect.

Also several days after the murder, Barrentine reportedly said, he and his wife and brother-in-law went to the scene on Herring Street where the Beasley car was found Aug. 1. Barrentine said they were looking for something that might help the police solve the case.

Barrentine told McLauchlin that he never picked up a tatooed man and that he didn't see anything the night of the murders. He said he went to the BP about 11 p.m. to get milk for the little boy.

—“Dale County DA awaits results of DNA test,” The Southeast Sun, December 9, 1999

• Barrentine said at the Tuesday hearing he left his home—about a block from the convenience store where the girls were last seen—to get milk July 31, and was gone about 15 minutes. He said he drove past the store, but didn’t see anything. “I wasn’t paying attention,” he said.

—“Suspect denies involvement in teens’ deaths,” Times Daily, October 10, 1999

Here is a collection of excerpts from media reports that illustrates the contradictions and consistencies in stories told by and about Johnny Barrentine:

• At a preliminary hearing and two bond hearings since his Sept. 1 arrest, no physical evidence was presented to link Barrentine to the killings. Authorities said his arrest was based on a statement he gave to police during a four-hour interview at the Ozark Police Department. After telling a series of false stories concerning his whereabouts on the night of July 31, Barrentine was said to have confessed to being on Herring Avenue when a tattooed man shot the girls. Barrentine later said he made up the story to get a $35,000 reward offered for information in the case.

—“Grand jury frees Barrentine,” The Southeast Sun, January 12, 2000

• Barrentine was charged with the murders after he told police he had been a witness to the slayings, but denied being the killer. He told police six different stories about his activities the night of July 31/Aug. 1, then said he had made them all up in order to get some $45,000 in reward money that has been collected.

—“Teen murders spark year-long investigation,” The Southeast Sun, August 3, 2000

• Alan Daniels, who owns the service station where Barrentine had worked for about two months, said Barrentine approached the police, not the other way around. He said Barrentine had information about a suspicious car in the area the night of the girls' disappearance. "He's been trying to work with them for over a week now," Daniels said.

Spivey said police were "confident" they had arrested the right man, but wouldn't say what led authorities to Barrentine. The $29,000 in reward money offered for the arrest and conviction of those responsible for the slayings would not come into play, he said.

"I don't think there's anybody here that believes he did it," Daniels said. "We never had any problems with him. If all this gets resolved, he'd still be welcome back."

Daniels and his wife, Schantal, described Barrentine as a friendly, easy-going man who was "always joking and likable" and did not have a quick or violent temper. Barrentine had a second job, loading or unloading boxes, Daniels said, but he wasn't sure where.

"He tended to stretch the truth a little bit," said Daniels, who suspected Barrentine might have "stuck his foot in his mouth" when talking to police.

Ms. Barrentine, who said her son was interviewed without a lawyer present, said she feared authorities might have pressured him.

—Alt.true-crime (AP story quoted)

• Police arrested Barrentine after he told them he saw a neighbor shoot the girls and failed to provide them with enough information to make an arrest. He also told them contradictory stories about his whereabouts on the night of the murders. He has since admitted that he lied about the indicent in an attempt to claim the reward.

—“Grand jury clears murder suspect,” The Troy Messenger, January 11, 2000

• Dale County District Attorney David Emery disputed Barrentine’s claims, saying he did not seek out the police, but authorities found him after talking with his wife.

“She said he went out July 31, was gone longer than she expected, and came home looking like he was in a state of shock,” Emery told Dale County Circuit Judge P.B. McLauchlin. “He told her a black truck hit him…she said he was so scared he stayed up all night and watched TV.”

Authorities said Barrentine confirmed his wife’s story when questioned about the black truck. On the stand Tuesday, he said it was all a lie. “I don’t know why she would say it,” he said.

—“Suspect takes stand to deny involvement in teens’ deaths,” The Tuscaloosa News, October 10, 1999

• Barrentine, according to Spivey, said he had gone out for milk at 11:30—about the same time that J.B. and Tracie were on the telephone with Tracie's mom.

At first, according to the chief, Barrentine said that on the night of the killings he'd seen a black truck speeding away from the area where the girls were found.

As the interview wore on, Barrentine changed his story several times, finally telling investigators that he'd picked up a man he didn't know and the two drove by the Big/Little store.

Barrentine said the man he'd given a ride got into a car with two girls—who Barrentine identified as the dead girls—and told him to follow. He said they ended up on Herring Avenue. The man got the girls out of the car. Barrentine said he soon heard two gunshots and the man returned. Barrentine gave the man a ride away from the scene, then went home.

Police arrested Barrentine then and there, charging him with two counts of capital murder.

—“Killer still on the loose, baffles police,” The Mobile Register, July 23, 2000

• In a Sept. 21 preliminary hearing, Alabama Bureau of Investigation agent Charles Huggins testified that Barrentine told several different stories about what happened the night of July 31 when he left home to get milk for his 2 1/2-year-old son. However, he testified that in an interview at the Ozark Police Department Aug. 31, Barrentine told police he gave a ride to a tattooed man who suggested they stop and the Big/Little Store on E. Broad Street where the girls were stopped to use a pay phone. Huggins said Barrentine said the man approached the girls, got in the back seat of Miss Beasley's car and drove away with them. He testified Barrentine admitted to watching as the tattooed man struggled with the girls, pulled a gun on them, forced them into the trunk and shot them.

According to Huggins, Barrentine was able to describe the girls' clothing and other items consistent with the girls and the crime.

Barrentine told McLauchlin that he never picked up a tatooed man and that he didn't see anything the night of the murders. He said he went to the BP about 11 p.m. to get milk for the little boy.

—“Dale County DA awaits results of DNA test,” The Southeast Sun, December 9, 1999

• Barrentine said at the Tuesday hearing he left his home—about a block from the convenience store where the girls were last seen—to get milk July 31, and was gone about 15 minutes. He said he drove past the store, but didn’t see anything. “I wasn’t paying attention,” he said.

—“Suspect denies involvement in teens’ deaths,” Times Daily, October 10, 1999

My question is... Why did they try to put this murder on their only possible witness? Barrentine has/had the answers. I would LOVE to see that 4 hour interrogation. JMO

Lets also not forget one of the stranger aspects regarding JWB in this case and I think its also what eventually made them take a closer look at him, and remember it was 4 weeks in with no arrest in this horrific small town double murder.

JWB went to a video rental store there in town or maybe it was a video equipment store and he apparently was under the impression that this store held the surveillance footage from the BigLittle store the night of the murders, he wanted to take a look at it. The person he talked to reported this to LE and this from what I remember is when they brought him in. I think I have this right, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

These are not the things one does when trying to hide their actions from LE, I think he was trying to help or at the least help himself to some reward money. He did interject himself into the case but his inconsistent statements and actions it appears slipped right through their BS filter.

Looking back as I did the other day I'm reminded that this town was not unfamiliar with gun violence or violence in general. There was a shooting a few days before the murders with injury that I think was eventually resolved, and some time later within the year I read that an elderly person was killed and their car stolen by a couple violent youngsters. Pretty sure that one was resolved as well. Point being this wasn't Mayberry USA, not any more, and columbine was just three months before.

Lets also not forget one of the stranger aspects regarding JWB in this case and I think its also what eventually made them take a closer look at him, and remember it was 4 weeks in with no arrest in this horrific small town double murder.

JWB went to a video rental store there in town or maybe it was a video equipment store and he apparently was under the impression that this store held the surveillance footage from the BigLittle store the night of the murders, he wanted to take a look at it. The person he talked to reported this to LE and this from what I remember is when they brought him in. I think I have this right, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

These are not the things one does when trying to hide their actions from LE, I think he was trying to help or at the least help himself to some reward money. He did interject himself into the case but his inconsistent statements and actions it appears slipped right through their BS filter.

LR1, this is from the invaluable Chronology of Events you originally linked to (thank you one more time for that):

Here are some different versions and additional details of the preliminary hearing that was held yesterday, Sept. 20, 1999.

A clerk at Video Warehouse in Ozark reported to investigators that John Barrentine had inquired if he could rent a video tape taken by security cameras at the Big/Little Store because he observed a fight at the store and wanted to see about what time it was. After the tip from the clerk, investigators went to the residence of Barrentine and talked to his wife, who informed them that her husband had gone to the store to get milk the night of the murders. She reported that he left at around 11:00 p.m. and returned about 15 minutes later, although it could have been longer since she didn't have a watch.

Your statement BBM is one I agree with 100%.

Here is the complete text of the "Chronology of Events" document. Not just a record of media reports, but a journal as well ("I have been hearing a lot of rumors again..."), this may be the most valuable and useful document we have to work from, as it seems to have been maintained in real time in the days, weeks, months and years that followed the murders.

Thanks to LR1 for discovering and sharing this with us, and thanks to the author.

Chronology of Events

Two Teenagers Found Dead in Ozark
Monday, August 2, 1999

Two Dothan teenage girls were found in the trunk of a car in Ozark on Sunday. Tracie Hawlett and J.B. Beasley, both Northview High School seniors, were last heard from when Ms. Hawlett called her home on Saturday night at 11:30 p.m. to tell her family that she was on her way home from a party in Headland. They reported that they got lost and were in Ozark at the time.

The car that the girls were found on Sunday afternoon in a late model Mazda 929 which belonged to Ms. Hawlett [Beasley]. Police report that both girls appeared to have died from gunshot wounds to the head. The girls were locked in the trunk of the car fully clothed with their personal belongings still in the car. The only thing that was apparently missing was the car keys. The car was left abandoned around the intersection of Herring Avenue and James Street, which is about a block east of the Dale Medical Center.

The Ozark Police Department is being assisted by the Dale County Sheriff's Office, Dothan Police, Alabama Bureau of Investigation and the state violent crimes office.

More Details Released in Shooting
Tuesday, August 3, 1999

The Montgomery Advertiser is reporting that Tracie Hawlett and J.B. Beasley were shot at close range inside the trunk of Beasley's 1994 [1993] Mazda 929 and then driven to the location where the vehicle was found.

Police have said that a large amount of evidence was left in the car including at least one shell casing from the handgun that was used in the shooting. The two teenagers were reported to have been attending a "field party" in Headland, AL earlier in evening of July 31. Their car was discovered at 2:00 p.m. [the car was discovered at 8 a.m., the trunk opened at 2 p.m.] on Sunday, August 1.

The murders were "execution style" according to Chief Tony Spivey of the Ozark Police Department. He describes them being shot once in the head at close range. As of now the police don't have any motive for this crime. The evidence is being processed in Montgomery and Dothan with some of the latest technologies such as fingerprints left on the victims by the assailant or assailants.

Crimestoppers is offering a reward of $1000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons involved in this crime.

Rumor Mill is Flying
Wednesday, August 4, 1999 - 4:00 a.m.

There are so many rumors going around about other victims being found, that the Ozark Police Department has come forward to address them. The Police Department released a statement saying that the only victims that have been found are the two Dothan teenage girls that were found Sunday at 2:00 p.m. They also announced that Governor Siegelman has issued a $10,000 reward for information leading in the arrest of the responsible person(s).

The whole community is in shock and disbelief following the incident. It has taken the feeling of safety away from some in the community, as everyone tries to figure out why this happened. Everyone in the community hopes for a quick resolution in finding who committed such a heinous act and are praying for the families of Miss Hawlett and Miss Beasley.

Changes in Details
Wednesday, August 4, 1999 - 8:30 p.m.

There were some minor changes noted in the facts of the case of the two teenaged Dothan girls, that were found slain in Ozark on August 1, 1999. The first change is in the ownership of the vehicle that the girls bodies were discovered in. Now it is being reported that the 1994 [1993] Mazda 929 actually belonged to J.B. Beasley and not Tracie Hawlett. The second change is that some of the news articles said that the girls were last seen at the Hobo Pantry (Chevron Station) at the intersection of 231 and East Andrews Avenue, when the video tape from the store actually showed a different person. So now it is back to them last being seen at the convenience store on East Broad Street by the railroad tracks near Carroll High School. They were last seen at this location by two eyewitnesses who gave the girls directions to U.S. 231 and who overheard the other girl on the phone say, "Hey Mom." It was about 11:30 when the two witnesses left the location when they felt the girls had made contact with their family and it was safe to leave them.

It was also announced this evening that a fund had been set up to raise money for additional reward money. Checks can be made payable to the Ozark Police Department Reward Fund and dropped off at the City Hall on North Union Avenue. The Ozark Police Department is urging caution from it's citizens as they go about their daily routine. They don't want the city to panic, but they want everyone to be aware of their surroundings while they are out and to practice normal safety precautions while at home, such as locking doors and knowing who is at the door before it is opened. The police would like to talk to anyone that attended a "field party" in Headland or Ariton on Saturday, July 31, or to anyone who had been in contact with the girls on that day.

More Information From Public Sought
Thursday, August 5, 1999 - 3:15 p.m.

Ozark Police Chief Tony Spivey is asking the public to come forward with any information they have, no matter how minute it may seem to them. They are looking for information on any activity that anyone may have seen in the area of the Big Little store on East Broad Street and the location where the vehicle was found abandoned on Herring Street. There is a 14 hour gap between the time the girls were last seen and the time the vehicle was found.

The key ring and keys that are missing are described as being a long key ring that had white blocks with black lettering. The first block has a heart and the rest of the letters spell "Hard2Get." Police said that the girls' pants appear to have dirt on them and the forensics lab is trying to determine a location that matches the type of dirt found on their clothing.

The address of the Ozark Police Department Reward Fund is P.O. Box 1987. Ozark, AL 36361. The fund, which was started by local businesses and residents has already raised $1,100 which brings the total reward money to $21,000.

Girls Never Got to Party In Headland
Friday, August 6, 1999 - 7:30 p.m.

According to Henry County officials, J.B. Beasley and Tracy Hawlett never attended the party in Headland. They have conducted several interviews of people who attended the party, held on a dirt road off Hwy 95 in Haleburg, and the attendees said that they didn't see the girls at the party. The girls were invited to the party to celebrate Beasley's 17th birthday.

Headland Police report seeing the girls at a pay phone in Headland earlier in the evening on Saturday, July 31, 1999. The next time the two girls were reported to be seen was at 11:30 p.m. at the Big Little Store on East Broad Street in Ozark, and they weren't seen again.

Ozark Police want to interview anyone who traveled East Broad Street and Herring Avenue late Saturday night or Sunday. The police feel like someone may have seen something and may not be aware of its importance.

The police department is in the process of establishing a 24 hour manned hotline for people to call in with information. The number will be released when the system is up and running.

Nationwide Hotline Established
Saturday, August 7, 1999 - 7:30 p.m.

A 24-hour-a-day manned hotline for information on the deaths of the two Dothan teens is now up and running. The number is 1-888-538-3555. Police are continuing to investigate the murders night and day. Police Chief Tony Spivey says that there still isn't a motive in the case.

In other unrelated police department news, Friday night, August 6, appeared to be a very busy night in Ozark for the police department according to sources. A lot of vehicles were stopped with a couple of stops turning into foot pursuits. One Sheriff Deputy was injured during one of the foot pursuits when he injured his shoulder.

Reward Poster Published
Sunday, August 8, 1999 - 7:00 p.m.

A reward poster has been published and posted throughout the local area with pictures of the the two girls and the car that they were found in. The most important part of the poster is the information for the telephone numbers that can be called with ANY information that you might remotely think could be of use by investigators.

Police Think a Local Person is Responsible for Slaying
Monday, August 9, 1999 - 8:00 p.m.

Ozark Police Chief Tony Spivey held a news conference today at 4:00 p.m. and disclosed that the person(s) responsible for the murders is more than likely a local person. He attributes this suspicion to forensic evidence, which he doesn't want to disclose at this time. The case hasn't been solved as quickly as he would like, but they have been investigating around the clock and will continue until closure. He expects the case to be solved using forensic evidence.

Chief Spivey said that in all of his years of police work, he said that he has never seen a city pull together like Ozark has. People are bringing food to investigators that are working overtime, and raising money for the reward fund which is up to $15,000. Tracy Hawlett and J.B. Beasley both attended Northview High School. Dothan High School, which Northview's cross town rival, is also taking up money for the reward fund with a car wash planned for this weekend with all proceeds to go to the fund.

The police department set up a road block and license check on East Broad St. on Saturday night between 11 p.m. and 1:30 a.m. to solicit information from anyone who may travel the area at the same time every day. Leads have been coming in, but none has led the police to any suspects. Investigators have ruled the murders as being gang related, since there is no evidence to support it.

Pieces Still Missing
Tuesday, August 10, 1999 - 3:10 p.m.

Ozark Police are still trying to find out where the two girls were before they were in Ozark. Police are urging parents to talk to their children, about anything they may know about the girls. At this time it is unknown if the girls attended a party and if they did, where the party was located.

The police have eliminated a lot of streets and avenues from a list of potential sites that the girls may have been taken to, before they were murdered. This helps in feeling like progress is being made, although the case isn't going to be resolved as quickly as the police would have hoped for.

Great Strides Made in Case
Wednesday, August 11, 1999 - 3:05 p.m.

Ozark Police announced that they have made a couple of great strides in the case of the two teenagers found murdered in Ozark, ten days ago. They wouldn't announce the new development, but they did say that there was a new lead that they are continuing to investigate. The forensic results were expected to be in the hands of local officials today. The police chief characterized the state of the investigation as making positive strides.

Police Focusing on Suspects
Thursday, August 12, 1999 - 2:55 p.m.

Ozark Police Chief Tony Spivey said that the police are now focusing on some possible suspects. Extra investigators have been called in to handle the latest leads. At a routine press conference at 2:00 p.m.today, Spivey said that there are a lot of rumors going around again. He said that he has probably heard all of the rumors and none of them are true. Several rumors that this reporter heard today, have to do with three brothers having been arrested in the case. This appears to be untrue. Spivey has said that a tip received 48 hours ago put them in a positive direction in the investigation.

No Arrests Have Been Made Yet
Friday, August 13, 1999 - 7:30 p.m.

No arrests have been made in the murder case. Police have dispelled several specific rumors that have been going around. The rumors that Ozark Police Chief Tony Spivey says are untrue are:

• An arrest has been made in the case.
  • Someone is in police custody.
  • A second or third individual has been identified as suspects.
  • The girls were wet from the waist down, when they were found in the trunk of the car.
  • Additional bodies of other victims have been found in Ozark, Ariton, and on Hwy 123.
The reward money is up to $30,000 and officials have announced that as of today at 5:00 p.m., the fund raising effort is being stopped. Officials felt that there needed to be closure on the fund raising effort, in case someone may be waiting for the amount raised to increase even more before they would come forward with any more information.

The Search Continues
Monday, August 16, 1999 - 3:55 p.m.

The search continues for the person or persons responsible for the cold blooded, execution style, double homicide that occurred on August 1, 1999. According to The Dothan Eagle, police feel like they may be able to release more information around Wednesday (August 18) about the investigation. Investigators are apparently still tracking down the positive information that they obtained about a week ago.

As the investigation continues, the community is being urged not to spread rumors about the case. Precious time is having to be devoted to addressing the rumors, which could be better spent with the duties at hand. Most of the rumors that are going around usually start out as, "I know somebody, who knows somebody, that said..." This should be an indication to all of us, that this is a rumor that we shouldn't be passing on to others.

Investigation Expands Outside Wiregrass
Tuesday, August 17, 1999 - 5:15 p.m.

Ozark Police Chief Tony Spivey said that the positive lead that they have been following has led them to a location outside the Wiregrass. He wouldn't elaborate on what the lead was, or the location where the investigation is taking place at the present time. FBI agents from Virginia, who are experts in profiling criminals, are currently in the city. There job will be to study the evidence, and to tell investigators what type of person that they should be looking for. The agents are expected to be in Ozark for a couple of days.

Investigation Expands Out of State
Thursday, August 19, 1999 - 7:45 a.m.

Ozark Police Chief Tony Spivey said that the positive lead that they have been following, has led them outside of Alabama, Georgia and Florida. He still wouldn't elaborate on what the lead was, or the location where the investigation is taking them. It is hoped that there will be an announcement some time today on the lead.

Chief Spivey declined to comment on possible suspects, only saying that investigators haven't narrowed it down to one or two suspects. No motive has been determined and they are still trying to profile the perpetrator(s).

Suspect Questioned
Friday, August 20, 1999 - 6:25 a.m.

Ozark Police Chief Tony Spivey said that a possible suspect has been interviewed. The suspect lives out of state and investigators have already returned to Ozark following interviews with the suspect. The chief said that he feels investigators are on the right track and he still couldn't release any more information, for fear that the investigation could be jeopardized. It was also reported that hypnosis has been used on some people who have bee interviewed, in an effort to gain additional details. No motive has been determined, and interviews with potential witnesses will continue.

Police are expecting the FBI to complete their profiling work today, and will hopefully be able to help investigators determine if the suspect matches the profile of someone that could have committed the acts. So far, the only crime scene that investigators have to work with, is the vehicle that the two Dothan teens were found in.

No New Developments in Murder Investigation
Monday, August 23, 1999 - 7:55 p.m.

Police Chief Tony Spivey now says just because they are looking at a possible out of state suspect, it doesn't rule out anyone locally. The investigation is entering its fourth week and the news conferences are getting fewer and farther between. Spivey isn't hinting at the possibility of any arrests in the near future and the investigation appears to be continuing, but no new information is coming forth. There was a similar period of time about two weeks ago, when investigators appeared to be coming to dead ends. Then, they received "positive" information that seemed to spur the department into heightened activity and press releases. Investigations commonly appear to be slowing even though there is a lot of work continuing behind the scenes. Hopefully, this is this case with this investigation.

Key Piece of Evidence Released
Tuesday, August 31, 1999 - 6:00 p.m.

Ozark police released a key piece of evidence in the month old investigation of the murder of J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett. The piece of evidence is a partial picture of a white, gray, tan or beige pickup truck that was parked in front of the Big/Little store where the girls stopped to use the pay phone. The truck was parked at the store between 11:30 p.m. and 12:00 midnight on the night of July 31, 1999. Police feel that the owner or driver of the truck may be a witness that hasn't come forward and they are asking the public for help in identifying the owner of the truck.

The picture is only a partial picture of the vehicle, so the make and model of the vehicle aren't clear. Police have been parking a variety of pickup trucks at the store and taking pictures of them to see if it would clear up the identity of the make and model. So far they haven't found a match. Yesterday afternoon at around 5:00 p.m., the parking lot of the store was filled with investigators and police vehicles working at the scene.

Ozark Man Arrested in Murder Case
Thursday, September 2, 1999 - 3:00 p.m.

Ozark police have arrested John William Barrentine, 28, of Young Avenue, Ozark and charged him with capital murder in the deaths of J.B. Beasley and Tracey Hawlett of Dothan. Barrentine's arrest happened at 9:00 p.m. last night (Sept. 1) after he was interviewed by an Ozark investigator and an investigator with the Alabama Bureau of Investigation. He remains in the Dale County Jail without bond.

Police chief Tony Spivey said that no further arrests are expected at this time and the motive is still unknown. He also said that it doesn't appear that Barrentine knew the girls and that the murderess occurred by a "chance encounter" with Barrentine. The case remains under investigation and no other details were released.

The AP is reporting that Barrentine's mother, said that her son was pressured to confess by investigators. Barrentine is also described by family members as being quiet man with a wife and a 2 year old son.

Family of Charged Man Say He is Innocent
Friday, September 3, 1999 - 3:50 p.m.

Family members say that the police have the wrong person as a suspect in the execution style murder of two Dothan teens. They have said that they feel like Barrentine is being set up to take the fall for someone else. Barrentine was working at Fleming Foods in Geneva and worked overtime a lot of days. One family member said that Barrentine went out to get milk around midnight on July 31 but was only gone about 15 minutes. The family member doesn't feel like he could have murdered someone in that length of time and describes him as being soft hearted. Neighbors of Barrentine have said that Barrentine never bothered anyone and was a friendly person.

Police Chief Tony Spivey feels like they have the person in custody and says that they are trying to determine if Barrentine owned a gun similar to the one used in the shooting. Spivey says that the investigation is continuing and refused to comment on whether any more arrests were expected. Spivey also said that they are getting a better handle on a possible motive, but wouldn't give any details of a motive at this time.

Ozark Man Charged With Capital Murder
September 2, 1999

A 28-year-old Ozark man was arrested on September 1, 1999, at 9:00 p.m., following his interview with Ozark and Alabama Bureau of Investigation agents. John William Barrentine, who lives at 110 Young Avenue, is being held without bond in the Dale County Jail and was charged with capital murder in the case of the execution style slaying of J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett. Barrentine became a suspect after he was interviewed, according to Ozark Police Chief Tony Spivey.

Family members have been professing his innocence and a number of people who have been around Barrentine don't feel like he is capable of the murders. In October 1996, Barrentine was arrested for striking one of his sisters in the face, for which he pleaded guilty. He was fined and had to pay court costs. Then, in June 1998, he was arrested for assault against his wife, when he allegedly struck her in the face. He pleaded not guilty and the case was dismissed, when his wife refused to testify against him. Barrentine's family described him as a gentle person who couldn't stand to see a woman cry, so this revelation is kind of shocking to hear. One of the family members who described him in this way, filed a domestic complaint against him three years ago.

During the tape recorded interview by police, Barrentine first stated that he went to a grocery store on U.S. Hwy 231 to get milk, when he saw the black truck. Investigators told him the store he went to was closed at the time. Barrentine then changed his story and told the investigators interviewing him, that he went to a convenience store. Next he said that he didn't leave his house at all that night. Finally he told the investigators that he went with an acquaintance, who was described as a tattooed man, to the Big/Little store on East Broad St. to get cigarettes and the friend that he was with got in the car with the two Dothan teens while he followed them to Herring Avenue. He then told police that the friend shot the girls while they were in the trunk of the car, after they refused his friend's sexual advances. Police reportedly interviewed the acquaintance and said that he had an alibi for the night of the murders.

Divers searched Lisenby Lake (Dale County Lake) for a 9mm gun and the keys, but they didn't find them. Police Chief Tony Spivey said that he is confident in the arrest and feels like they are nearing the discovery of a possible motive. A possible grease stain that was found in the back seat of the Mazda 929 on the drivers side, is trying to be matched to gloves that were found in the glove box of Barrentine's car. The gloves are in the forensics lab at present with the results still pending.

At Barrentine's first appearance before Judge William "Buddy" Matthews, two attorneys were appointed by the court. The appointed attorneys, Bill Kominos and Joe Gallo.The attorneys for Barrentine said that there are too many unanswered questions and no evidence to hold their client. The attorneys challenged investigators on some of their theories such as the exact location of the shootings, where the murder weapon is, if any fingerprints were found, or if it was determined if their client even owned a gun.

Barrentine lives within 1/2 mile of the location where the car belonging to J.B. Beasley was found. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett, both 17 of Dothan, were found in the trunk of the car and had been shot execution style.

Barrentine was working at Flemming Foods in Geneva, but wasn't an employee of the company. He worked for truck drivers who were delivering goods to the plant, and helped them unload their trucks. He was also employed, part-time, at Daniel's Auto Repair on South Union Ave in Ozark. Barrentine is married and has one child.

Preliminary Hearing Set For Barrentine
Tuesday, September 7, 1999 - 6:45 p.m.

A preliminary hearing has been set for September 20, 1999, in the Dale County courthouse for John William Barrentine, who was charged with capital murder for killing J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett. Barrentine's attorneys made a request of the court to hold the hearing as soon as possible, so they could see what kind of evidence investigators have on their client.

Also today, Mayor Bob Bunting explained why the reward fund was not allowed to continue to grow and was discontinued. Bunting had been the target of some people who had written letters to the editor about him cutting the fund raising effort off. Bunting said that he talked with investigators in the case and they thought the fund needed to be stopped. He explained that the fund had met it's goal and he felt like the time was right for the fund to be closed. He also said that the fund wouldn't be paying anyone if Barrentine is convicted, since no one was responsible for turning Barrentine into investigators. All of the money that has been collected will be returned to the donors if requested, and any money left will be used for future use in other cases.

Bond Hearing Set For Barrentine
Wednesday, September 8, 1999 - 3:45 p.m.

John Barrentine, the man accused of killing two Dothan teens in Ozark, will have a bond hearing on the same day as his preliminary hearing. Judge William "Buddy" Matthews will be presiding over both hearings, which are scheduled for 9:30 a.m. on September 20, 1999. Barrentine's attorneys, Bill Kominos and Joe Gallo, had previously filed a motion for a bond hearing, so both hearings will be held on the same day.

It is expected that the Barrentine and his attorneys will get to hear the evidence against him at the hearing. Barrentine is still being held in the Dale County Jail without bond. Police are remaining quiet about any evidence or possible motive in the case.

Barrentine Possibly Not as Gentle as Reported
Thursday, September 9, 1999 - 3:45 p.m.

John Barrentine, the man accused of killing two Dothan teens in Ozark, has been previously arrested for assault on two separate occasions. In October 1996, Barrentine was arrested for striking one of his sisters in the face, for which he pleaded guilty. He was fined and had to pay court costs. Then, in June 1998, he was arrested for assault against his wife, when he allegedly struck her in the face. He pleaded not guilty and the case was dismissed, when his wife refused to testify against him.

Last week, Barrentine's family described him as a gentle person who couldn't stand to see a woman cry, so this revelation is kind of shocking to hear. One of the family members who described him in this way, filed a domestic complaint against him three years ago.

Barrentine was also arrested in Dothan on March 3, 1993 on another domestic charge of criminal trespassing, for which he received a suspended sentence and fine.

The Rumor Mill Starts Again
Thursday, September 16, 1999 - 3:55 p.m.

I have been hearing a lot of rumors again. This time the rumors are about someone else being involved in the murders of the two Dothan teens, besides John Barrentine. The rumors don't appear to be accurate, unless the police are being super-secret about it. It seems highly unlikely that it could be true since the police department hasn't made an arrest by now. I won't even go into the details of the rumor, since none of it has been substantiated. I just thought I should mention the rumors, to perhaps keep others from spreading them. So if you happen to hear the rumor, remember that none of it has been confirmed and it seems like there has been plenty of time for an arrest or announcement to have been made, if it were true.

Preliminary Hearing Leads to Grand Jury
Monday, September 20, 1999 - 5:35 p.m.

There wasn't much evidence released by the state today in the preliminary hearing of John William Barrentine, 28, of Ozark. The only real piece of evidence that was released, was that there was a grease stain in the back seat on the drivers side of the Mazda 929 belonging to J.B. Beasley, one of the victims in the case. Police are in the process of trying to link the grease stain to Barrentine. Beside the grease stain, the only other evidence released were details of the tape recorded interview that two investigators had with Barrentine.

Police testified that Barrentine had gone to the police to report seeing a black truck near the crime scene on the night of the murders and upon further questioning he changed his story five or six times. Police said that Barrentine first stated that he went to a grocery store on U.S. Hwy 231 to get milk, when he saw the black truck. Investigators told him the store he went to was closed at the time. Barrentine then changed his story and told the investigators interviewing him, that he went to a convenience store. Next he said that he didn't leave his house at all that night. Finally he told the investigators that he went with an acquaintance, who was described as a tattooed man, to the Big/Little store on East Broad St. to get cigarettes and the friend that he was with got in the car with the two Dothan teens while he followed them to Herring Avenue. He then told police that the friend shot the girls while they were in the trunk of the car, after they refused his friend's sexual advances. Police reportedly interviewed the acquaintance and said that he had an alibi for the night of the murders.

When police were asked if they were going to pursue the man who pulled the trigger, they stated that he was in custody and pointed to Barrentine. Another police officer testified that Barrentine had made a "jail house confession" while in custody at the Dale County jail.

The case has been bound over to a grand jury, for them to determine if there is enough evidence to pursue the case against Barrentine. The next scheduled grand jury is set for September 23. 1999, but it is unclear if this case will be included in their deliberations.

More Details of Preliminary Hearing
Tuesday, September 21, 1999 - 6:35 p.m.

Here are some different versions and additional details of the preliminary hearing that was held yesterday, Sept. 20, 1999.

A clerk at Video Warehouse in Ozark reported to investigators that John Barrentine had inquired if he could rent a video tape taken by security cameras at the Big/Little Store because he observed a fight at the store and wanted to see about what time it was. After the tip from the clerk, investigators went to the residence of Barrentine and talked to his wife, who informed them that her husband had gone to the store to get milk the night of the murders. She reported that he left at around 11:00 p.m. and returned about 15 minutes later, although it could have been longer since she didn't have a watch. Her husband told her that a black truck ran him off the road on his way home. The investigators then went to question Barrentine about the black truck at his part time job.

Barrentine described the person who actually did the killing as a person that lived near him and worked for his father. Police say that they questioned the person, but he had three witnesses that said he was in Clayhatchee on the night of the murders. Barrentine told investigators that his friend saw the girls and told him to pull into the parking lot of the Big/Little store so they could try to pick up the girls. This man was actually the second person that Barrentine had blamed for the murders. A day or two after the murders, Barrentine went to police with a name of someone else that possibly did the killings.

The possible grease stain that was found in the back seat of the Mazda 929, is trying to be matched to gloves that were found in the glove box of Barrentine's car. The gloves are in the forensics lab at present with the results still pending.

The attorneys for Barrentine said that there are too many unanswered questions and no evidence to hold their client. The attorneys challenged investigators on some of their theories such as the exact location of the shootings, where the murder weapon is, if any fingerprints were found, or if it was determined if their client even owned a gun. District attorney David Emery said that Barrentine had already answered all of the questions posed by his attorneys, during his interview with police. Mr. Emery said that the motive appears to be a case of Barrentine being scorned by young attractive girls when he wanted to have sex with them. Emery also hinted at trying to get the death penalty imposed if Barrentine is found guilty.

Barrentine Testifies at Bond Hearing
Wednesday, October 6, 1999 - 6:30 p.m.

John Barrentine, the man charged with two counts of capital murder, appeared in court yesterday and took the witness stand during a hearing that was requested by his attorneys to set bond in the case. During Barrentine's testimony, he said that he didn't kill J.B. Beasley and Tracey Hawlett and he didn't have anything to do with the girls. He said that he was only trying to get reward money when he went to police and reported seeing a black truck around the scene of the crime on the night of the murder. Barrentine said that he was tricked into making the statements that he made during the 4 hour interview, and that he made everything up as he went along.

Barrentine's attorneys say that police don't have any evidence against their client. Among some of the attorneys points are:

• No gun has been found and it hasn't been shown that Barrentine even owned a gun.
  • No fingerprints of Barrentine's were at the scene.
  • Herring Ave. hasn't been proved to have been the actual location where the girls were shot.
District attorney David Emery, said that Barrentine has been caught up in his own lies. He said that police actually were led to Barrentine through Barrentine's wife when she was interviewed. They were following up on her statements when they interviewed Barrentine.

No bond was set by Judge P.B. McLauchlin. The judge requested a copy of the preliminary hearing transcript and he will make a ruling at a later date.

Bond Denied for Barrentine
Tuesday, October 19, 1999 - 6:30 a.m.

Judge P.B. McLauchlin denied bond for John William Barrentine, while he awaits trial on two counts of capital murder. The ruling came after Judge McLauchlin reviewed the preliminary hearing transcripts. The bond denial was based on Barrentine's confession to being at the scene of the crime when the two Dothan teenagers were murdered on July 31/August 1.

No other mention has been made by any other news media, about the fingerprints found in the vehicle not matching Barrentines.

More Evidence Discovered by Crime Lab
Monday, October 25, 1999 - 8:00 a.m.

After initial reports from authorities that no evidence of sexual activity took place against the two Dothan teens found murdered in Ozark, the crime lab has found evidence of semen on the clothing of one of the vitims. The reports are coming from unnamed sources close to the investigation, with a couple of different versions being reported by local media.

One version reports that the semen was found on J.B. Beasley's dress while some of the other reports say that the semen was found on Beasley's bra and panties.

No comments have been issued by either Police Chief Tony Spivey or District Attorney David Emery on the latest reports.

It was also reported that John Barrentine had blood samples taken for DNA testing, to determine if there is a match with the DNA of the semen.

DNA Test Results Don't Match Barrentine
Friday, November 5, 1999 - 6:45 a.m.

Investigators were informed Thursday, Nov. 4, that the DNA of the semen found on one of the victims, doesn't match the DNA of the main suspect, John Barrentine. Barrentine remains in custody at the Dale County Jail and isn't expected to be released even though the DNA results don't implicate to him. Police Chief Tony Spivey said that the investigation is continuing and investigators are pursuing all leads in the case. It appears that investigators still believe that Barrentine was somehow involved in the murder of the two Dothan teens.

Lawyers for Barrentine indicated that they weren't surprised by the results and they plan on filing an appeal on Judge McLauchlin's order for no bond. A motion for dismissal can not be filed since Barrentine hasn't been indicted by a grand jury, according to Barrentine's attorney, Bill Kominos. It is expected to take about two weeks for the state to answer the appeal, once it has been received and then the appellate court will consider the appeal and render a decision.

Search for Second Suspect Continues
Tuesday, November 9, 1999 - 8:30 a.m.

Police Chief Tony Spivey said that the search for a second suspect is underway and has been underway since John Barrentine said that he was with someone else on the night of the murder of the two Dothan teens. Investigators are interviewing people that they have already talked with. Spivey stressed that something has been done everyday since the murders occurred.

One thing that has been a mystery since it's announcement, is the semen that was found on J.B. Beasley's clothing having took such a long period of time to be found. Spivey said he doesn't know what the delay was caused from, but they are trying to find out why a key piece of evidence such as this, took so long to get back to them. He added that he feels that this case should have a high priority with the forensics lab and that he has requested such a priority with the lab. Meanwhile, Ozark Police are still awaiting results from the forensics lab on other evidence that was collected from the crime scene.

Investigators still believe that Barrentine played a role in the murders and that he was with someone else on the night of the murders. Chief Spivey explained that Barrentine is still being held in the Dale County Jail, because he has confessed to being at the scene of a capital murder during it's occurrence and that you can't just release someone under those circumstances. According to Chief Spivey, the District Attorney was present during the interview with Barrentine, and he was consulted before Barrentine was arrested.

At present, the DNA results are being compared to a database of convicted felons. Some people that are going to be re-interviewed, will no doubt be asked to submit blood, hair, and saliva samples for a possible match with the evidence.

The reward still stands and Spivey is asking again for anyone with any information to contact law enforcement.

$200,000 Bond Set for Barrentine
Friday, November 10, 1999 - 5:15 p.m.

John Barrentine appeared in Judge P.B. McLauchlin's courtroom today for a reconsideration of his denial of bond for Barrentine. Judge McLauchlin set a $200,000 bond for Barrentine, so he remains in the Dale County Jail until the bond money has been raised. A reasonable bond is suppose to be set by the judge according to Bill Kominos, Barrentine's attorney, and it remains to be seen if the family will be able to raise the bond money. Kominos still has the option to appeal the bond amount if the bond money isn't able to be raised.

Kominos also said that he found out that while the hearing was taking place this morning, federal investigators were searching John Barrentine's father's business in Daleville. He said that he didn't know what they were searching for.

Barrentine Unable to Raise Bond
Sunday, November 21, 1999

Johnny Barrentine remains in the Dale County Jail while his family and friends try to raise enough money to post the $200,000 bond, ordered in the case of two capital murder charges against Barrentine for the murder of two teenage girls from Dothan.

Investigators have been busy collecting DNA samples from several people that they originally interviewed, but no results are expected for a week or two. The DNA samples will be used to compare against the DNA of semen stains on one of the victims.

A search warrant was issued for Daniel's Auto Repair in Ozark, where Barrentine had worked part-time before the murders took place. It has been reported that the warrant was in relation to the missing keys of J.B. Beasley and a gun used in the commitment of the crime.

Barrentine Remains Behind Bars
Sunday, December 12, 1999

The family of Johnny Barrentine have been able to come with $80,000 toward his $200,000 property bond so they have a way to go before he is able to be freed on bond. With the Grand Jury coming up on Jan.6, 2000, it is looking like Barrentine will be in the Dale County Jail at least until that time.

Barrentine's attorney Bill Kominos is pretty confident that the Grand Jury won't indict his client since there is no physical evidence linking him to the murders of the two Dothan teens. If an indictment isn't returned against Barrentine by the Grand Jury, he will be a free man.

Police are still investigating the murders and are still looking for another possible witness who may have seen something at the Big/Little store on the night of the murders. The security tape taken on the night of murders shows a light colored truck leaving the store just before the Mazda, which the two girls were in, left the store.

Police are still considering Barrentine, at the very least, to be an accomplice in the murders, since he knew too many details about the events of the night of July 31.

Barrentine Released From Dale County Jail
Saturday, December 18, 1999

John William Barrentine, the 28 year old Ozark man charged with the murders of two Dothan teens, was released from the Dale County jail Friday at 10:30 a.m.. The $200,000 bond was posted A-Advantage Bonding Inc. of Dothan. It is being reported that Barrentine is staying with his parents in Daleville. Family members have been advised not to discuss the case with the press, while Barrentine is out on bond awaiting to see if he will be indicted by the Dale County Grand Jury which is set to convene in January 2000.

(Continued)

New Information Received
January 16, 2000

Ozark Police Chief Tony Spivey said that investigators had received new information in the murders of two Dothan teens, and they were hopeful that it is valuable in solving the case.

Spivey wouldn't say what the information was but he did say that the state forensics lab had sent some evidence back which has been forwarded to the FBI for further analysis.

No Bill Returned Against Barrentine
January 16, 2000

The Dale County grand jury elected not to return a bill of indictment against John William Barrentine. They didn't feel there was enough evidence against Barrentine to indictment him for capital murder, in the double homicide of J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett.

The Barrentine family is understandably ecstatic with the no bill decision and plan on moving on with their lives. Barrentine's wife said that she isn't sure whether they will moved back to Ozark. She is planning on taking it one day at a time.

Chief of Police Tony Spivey said it was a case of being at the mercy of the department of forensics in Alabama and Washington, D.C. Evidence items that haven't been processed with results returned are:

• particles from inside J.B. Beasley's Mazda car
  • tire impressions from the scene where the bodies were found
  • soil found on the clothing of the girls
  • fingerprints found on the car
The F.B.I. is sending more agents to Ozark from the Violent Task Force, to go over what investigators have come up with so far.

Barrentine Talks With Press
January 16, 2000

John Barrentine and his family talked to reporters about the ordeal they have been through. John Barrentine said that he isn't mad at the Ozark Police Department or police chief Tony Spivey, for arresting him and having to spend 3 months in the Dale County Jail. He said that he lied to police about the being at the scene of the crime and wishes that he had never went to the police with information. Barrentine's mother said that it was hard seeing her son locked up behind bars and she was thankful that her son is back home.

Barrentine was outside his father's mobile home during the interview and was playing with his young son, in the front yard. He said that he is ready to put everything behind him and get out supporting his wife and son. He doesn't plan on returning to Ozark, saying that it would be nearly impossible to find a job in Ozark anymore. Barrentine's mother declined comment when asked if the family plans to pursue legal action against the city of Ozark or the police department.

John Barrentine also said that his son thought he was at work at his father's shop while he was incarcerated, although his son went to the jail to visit him. Barrentine's wife was also present during the interview and said that she hated having to go to the Dale County Jail to see her husband, once a week.

During the interview, Barrentine and his family were smiling and laughing and appeared to be relieved that the ordeal is coming to a close. I was a different view of the man who earlier had been only seen being transported to the courthouse with shackles on.

If Barrentine wasn't involved in the crime, hopefully he and his family can continue on in life and recover from the trauma of the ordeal. If he was involved in the crime, the nightmare isn't over yet, as the investigation is continuing and Barrentine could still be indicted by a grand jury if any evidence were to ever come forward in the future. Whatever the case, hopefully the right decisions will be made by all parties in the investigation and that the case will be resolved in the very near future.

Reward Money at $45,000
January 16, 2000

The reward money offered for information leading to an arrest and conviction in the double murder case of two Dothan teens, has been increased to $45,000. Gov. Don Siegleman increased the states initial offer of a $10,000 reward to $20,000.

The Wiregrass community raised $25,000 shortly after the state offered the $10,000, through a fund raising drive.

Birmingham News Reporting New Information in Case
January 23, 2000

A news article by Robin DeMonia, a Birmingham News staff writer, includes new information in the case of the murder of the two Dothan teens. Among the new items are several quotes from Mike Roberts, Tracie Hawlett's step-father. Here are a few quotes from the article:

• "It was muddy and almost out of gas, despite a fill-up the day before." (talking about the Mazda car the girls bodies were found in)
  • "Miss Hawlett's arm was scratched, her pants had briars, and the $95 New Balance tennis shoes she had bought the week before were covered in mud. First into the trunk, she had been shot once in the temple."
  • "Miss Beasley was dirty, too, and also had been shot once, apparently in the cheek, Roberts said"
  • "They also have one palm print from the trunk lid, Roberts said."
  • "One theory hangs the crime on a police officer or someone posing as an officer. Roberts has raised the possibility himself, saying he believes the girls would not have stopped for anything other than a blue light. In addition, Miss Beasley's window was halfway down, he said, and he's been told her license was on the car's console. "
The article was published to the world wide web, on the Alabama Live web site on January 20, 2000.

Mike Roberts Says He Was Misquoted in News Article
January 23, 2000

Tracie Hawlett's step-father says that a news article by The Birmingham News misquoted him on several comments attributed to him. He also said that the newspaper told him that the news article was going to focus on the lives of his daughter and J.B. Beasley, who were both found murdered found murdered on Aug. 1, 1999.

The Birmingham News is reportedly standing behind it's article and they don't plan on retracting anything that was published in the article.

It isn't exactly clear as to which parts of the article Robert's is referring to as being inaccurate. He did say that some of the comments that were included in the article were of rumors he had heard or that he was assured that the comment he was making at the time would be off the record.

Investigation Continues
February 20, 2000

Ozark police chief Tony Spivey, said that investigators have been following a hot tip that they received about a month ago in the investigation of the murder the two Dothan teenagers. Spivey couldn't release what the hot tip was, but added that the tip has enabled investigators to expand their investigative work. He also said that a new team of investigators are now working with the Ozark police department.

The team of investigators met with the family members of J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett recently, to let the families know where they stand in the investigation. It has been reported that the families have a renewed faith in the investigation and the credentials of the investigators.

False rumors remain a problem for investigators, who have to check out all of the false leads. None of the rumors going around have aided in the investigation.

Evidence is still being processed by the forensics labs, which have a backlog of evidence waiting to be processed. Some of the evidence could be a key to solving the double homicide, but investigators can only wait for the results.

Police Release Details of Evidence
February 27, 2000

Investigators in the double homicide of J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett, released details of some of the evidence that completed processing by the forensics laboratories. Among the evidence and the results were:

• A list of six possible suspects were interviewed and had their blood DNA tested. The results were negative for a match with the victims DNA.
  • Four handguns were tested by a ballistics laboratory. None of the guns matched the murder weapon.
  • One possible suspect had bloody clothing which was tested for DNA. The results were negative for a match with the victims DNA.
Police reaffirmed that the FBI was helping in the investigation and that the investigators are continuing to follow every possible lead in the case.

Ozark police chief Tony Spivey said that contrary to previous published reports, there isn't a new team of investigators. He added that two new investigators from the Alabama Attorney General's office were assigned to the case, but the team remains the same.

The team has been busier over the past several days, following new leads. Investigators searched an area near Depot Lane in Ozark, looking for evidence. One piece of evidence that investigators are continuing to look for are the car missing car keys. The keys were the only thing missing from the vehicle when investigators processed the scene.

Similarities in Cases Being Compared
March 5, 2000

Investigators in the case of the murder of J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett are headed to Jones County Mississippi next week to look into the similarities of a double homicide that occurred there last weekend. The bodies of Amanda Welborn,19 of Laurel, and Kelsea Bullock, 18 of Stringer were found about three feet off the road. Both victims were shot execution style. Two Laurel Mississippi men, Paul Evans Jr. 19, and Nanthan Townsend 18, were arrested on Thursday March 1.

The unnamed person who last week was returned to Ozark from Jones County for questioning in the Ozark murders, was in the custody of Jones County officials when the murders occurred. Similarities in the case are:

• All of the victims were shot execution style
  • Robbery wasn't a motive in the cases
  • All of the victims were out riding around the night that they were murdered
  • All of the victims had dirt on their clothes
  • All of the victims had dark hair
  • All of the victims were about the same age
  • All of the victims were last seen around 11:30 p.m.
  • All of the victims were found three feet off of the roadway
Ozark Man Arrested in Mississippi
March 5, 2000

An Ozark man, who police have been searching for to question about the murders of J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett, was arrested in Mississippi on an unrelated drug charge. Police say that the unnamed man is not a suspect in the case, only that he may have valuable information in the investigation. Police say that the man left the area shortly after the murders occurred and authorities have been looking for him since Christmas. Investigators tracked him through several states before locating him in Jones County, Mississippi, where he was picked up on warrants for charges of possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of cocaine. He has waived extradition and has already been preliminarily interviewed by a member of the Ozark Police Department and an agent with the Alabama Bureau of Investigation. They will be escorting the man back to Ozark and will be returning some time this week.

There are several more individuals who investigators are trying to locate to talk to at this time, although none of their names are being released. Police reiterated that the investigation into the murders continues on a daily basis. The reward money is at $45,000 if anyone had information that would lead to an arrest and conviction in the case.

Investigators Searching Depot Lane Area Again
March 12, 2000

Most of the publicity this week has been focused on an area off Hwy 123 South, that investigators have been searching for evidence or clues. The location is being considered as a possible area where J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett were murdered. Thursday police were also seen quietly searching an area at the intersection of on Depot Lane and James St. at an abandoned building.

The area on Depot Lane has been previously searched by investigators in the case. The building has now been surrounded by police line marking tape. It appears that the area is still under scrutiny by investigators.
Depot Lane is very close to the Big Little store on Broad St. were the two teens were last seen by witnesses on the night of July 31.

Police Search Possible Crime Scene
March 12, 2000

Police began searching an area off Hwy 123 inside the city limits of Ozark last week, believing that it may have been the location where Tracie Hawlett and J.B. Beasley were murdered. Investigators related that they believed the location on Herring Ave. where the car and bodies of the Hawlett and Beasley were found wasn't the location where the shooting actually took place.

The location off Hwy 123 developed from a new lead that came about last week. The area is being searched for any evidence in the case. Police wouldn't disclose what the new lead was and said that they have had other good leads before that fizzled out, but are hopeful that this lead will result in more evidence. Speculation on some of the possible evidence that investigators are searching for include the 9mm handgun, shell casings, and dirt to match that found on the victims clothing.

Police also said that the murders of two young girls in Mississippi that they were looking into appear to be unrelated. It turns out that there are a lot more things that weren't similar that there were that were similar, as they began comparing the cases. They haven't completely ruled out the murders as being unrelated and are awaiting DNA testing of the two young men charged in the Mississippi murders.

The unnamed man who police brought back from Mississippi that they wanted to question about any knowledge of the case has been cooperating fully and volunteered to submit to DNA testing and anything else that police would like him to submit to, so he can be ruled out as a suspect. The man hasn't been able to shed any light on the murders at all.

Rumors Dispelled in Case
March 26, 2000

One rumor going around Ozark actually names three prominent young men from Ozark who are in police custody, or are about to be charged with the murder of J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett, depending on the version of rumor heard. The rumor is untrue according to police chief Tony Spivey, as are most of the rumors that are circulating around town. Chief Spivey said that if you hear something that hasn't been released from the police department, it more than likely isn't true.

The truck that was captured in the security tape from the Big/Little Store on the night of the murder, still hasn't been found. Apparently no one got out of the truck and the truck was there while the girls were on the pay phone. Police would like to locate the truck that was captured in the video tape to interview the occupant or occupants about what they might have seen on the night of July 31, 1999.

Ozark police chief Tony Spivey held a press conference Monday morning to update the public on the status of the case of the murder of J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett. Spivey said that investigators are continuing to follow leads and that so far 49 people have been ruled out as suspects, through DNA testing.
The prospects of a quick resolution in the case appear to be dimming as time goes on. Spivey still feels like more than one person was involved in the murders and that just because someone's DNA doesn't match the semen found on the clothing of one of the teens, doesn't necessarily rule that person out as a suspect in the case.

Investigators are still awaiting results from evidence collected at the Hwy 123 location, where the murders are suspected to have taken place. Among the evidence collected were soil samples which are being compared to the soil found on the clothing of both victims and a 9mm bullet which hadn't been fired. The bullet brand didn't match the one recovered when the two teenagers bodies were discovered on the morning of August 1, which according to Spivey, doesn't mean that much since it is common for people to use different manufacturers of ammunition in a gun. Leads are being investigated to the fullest extent, to make sure that nothing is being overlooked in the case.

Apparently someone heard noises or something on the night of the murders at the Hwy 123 location.
The reward money of $45,000 still is available for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for this crime.

Investigators Going Out of State Again
April 30, 2000

Investigators in the murder investigation of J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett are making a return trip to Michigan to interview a potential suspect. This isn't the first time this unnamed person has been interviewed. Investigators will be following up previous interview to see if any more light can be shed on the case.

The investigators aren't expected to be making an arrest in the case, on their trip to Michigan. Police continue to say that they are investigating the case on a daily basis and that it is a long and drawn out process to track down every potential clue.

Police Await Confirmation from Crime Lab
June 4, 2000

Ozark Police are still awaiting results of evidence submitted to the state crime lab in the murder investigation of J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett.

Among the things that investigators are awaiting word on are soil samples from the possible secondary crime scene on Hwy. 123 just south of Ozark. The samples are being compared to the soil that was found on both of the girls pant legs.

Nothing came about during the trip to Michigan several weeks ago and investigators say that they are continuing to investigate the crime.

"America's Most Wanted" Interested in Airing Murder Case
June 16, 2000

The television show "America's Most Wanted" contacted Ozark Police Chief Tony Spivey this past week, and expressed a possible interest in airing a piece on the murders of J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett. The girls were found murdered on August 1, 1999, after they had been shot at point blank range in the head.

The television show also contacted Cheryl Burgoon, the mother of J.B. Beasley, wanting photographs and video tapes of her daughter, which she sent to them last Monday. She said that she is excited and pleased that the television show is interested in airing a segment, hoping that something may come about by the story being aired nationally.

Apparently producers of the show have been following the case and have had people contact them about getting a segment aired on the murders, which is why the producers contacted Burgoon and Spivey. People can voice their support for the airing the case by calling 1-800-CRIME-TV.

Police are still waiting on soil sample results from the suspected secondary crime scene on Hwy 123, where the actual murders are believed to have taken place.

Chief Spivey said that just last week investigators were working on a hot lead with the assistance of the attorney general's office, the FBI and the ABI, until all avenues of the lead were exhausted.

Mobile Register Published Articles on Murder Case
July 24, 2000

The Mobile Register (Alabama's oldest newspaper) has published a large front-page article with two full-page follow-up articles in the Sunday, July 23, 2000 issue with regard to the history and status of the murders of J. B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett.

Several photographs are included (two on the front page - one showing J. B. Beasley's Mom holding a large photograph of her daughter and one containing smaller photographs of both girls as well as one connect photo of Ozark Police Chief Spivey.

The two large full page follow articles also contain photographs.

'America's Most Wanted' Sending Producer
July 26, 2000

A producer with the television show 'America's Most Wanted" is coming to the area next week on Tuesday of next week, to learn more about the murders of J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett. Producer Andrea Miller will be in the area interviewing family, friends and police about the case which is a precursor to an actual airing of a segment on the television show.

Once the preliminary interviews are completed, they will be shown to the show's executive producers to decide if a future show will include the story. It is hoped that airing a story about the murders across the nation would help generate additional information helpful in the unsolved case.

America's Most Wanted to Air Segment on Murders
August 23, 2000

America's Most Wanted announced that they are going to air a segment on the murders of J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett, which will last about six minutes on this Saturday's episode. A producer for the show said that the six minute segment is the longest time given to any story they show. The show will be aired on Fox-34 at 8 p.m. next Saturday, August 26. The segment is expected to be aired at the close of the television show. The segment will include a reenactment of what is believed to have happened, with emphasis being placed on the search for the white truck that was caught on the Big Little store's security camera. The Big Little store is the last place that the girls were seen alive.

America's Most Wanted Airs Segment on Murders
August 27, 2000

The television show America's Most Wanted aired a segment on the murders of J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett last night on Fox Television Network. During the segment, a reenactment of the events that are believed to have occurred, showed the girls being chased through the woods and then forced in to the trunk of J.B.'s car. Someone then shot both girls once in the head.

Two women, Marilyn Merritt and her daughter, gave directions to J.B. and Tracie at the Big Little store. They added that after they gave the girls the direction, they left the store heading west toward downtown Ozark and the direction to 231, and the girls left right behind them. The women didn't notice what happened to the girls after they left the store.

The white truck that was parked at the gas pumps at the Big Little store, left the parking lot before the girls did. They would like to talk to the driver to find out if they noticed anything unusual.

Barrentine's attorney, Bill Kominos, said that his client made the story up about talking to the girls and being at the scene of the crime, to get the reward money. An investigator with the Alabama Bureau of Investigation who interviewed Barrentine said that they didn't have any choice but to arrest Barrentine when he placed himself at the crime scene and saying that he was a participant by giving the murder a ride from the area.

Hopefully, this airing will help to get the person driving the white truck to come forward in case they can shed light on what they saw or didn't see.

A.M.W. Airing of Segment Results in More Leads
September 3, 2000

Ozark police say that after America's Most Wanted aired a segment on the murders of J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett, at least 26 phone calls were received in regards to the murders. Most of the leads that were received were ones that police have already tracked down but that some of them were new and interesting. They will begin to follow up on the leads immediately.

Most of the leads were from the local area although they did receive a couple of calls from outside the area. Ozark police sent someone to Washington to help field the calls as they came in after the show.

Police Following Leads
September 17, 2000

Of all of the leads from the television show "America's Most Wanted", police are working on one that has resulted in DNA testing on a possible suspects from Green Bay, Wisconsin.

In other action in the case, Martin Charles Tonn Jr, 36 of Destin Florida, was arrested in Enterprise, AL on Friday, for a double murder that occurred in Texas, 15 years ago. The murders that occurred in Texas were of the domestic violence type of murders. Tonn's DNA didn't match the DNA in the local murder case after investigators in Ozark asked Texas officials to forward the DNA profile of Tonn to the Department of Forensic Science for comparison. It didn't require very much time for experts to compare the two DNA profiles and come to a determination that there wasn't a match. Ozark police knew it was a long shot but they are continuing to pursue every avenue that is even a remote possibility.

A third man from the Georgia/Carolina area is also being tested for DNA after investigators were in the area for more than a week looking into the possible suspect.

Police Chief Tony Spivey said that the white truck in the video at the Big/Little store is believed to be a 80's model Nissan or Toyota with oversized tires or four wheel drive.

Maury Povich Show Airs
January 21, 2001

The unsolved murder of J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett received national recognition again this week when Cheryl Burgoon, the mother of J.B. Beasley, was a guest on The Maury Povich Show.

During the segment which opened the show, Burgoon made a tearful plea, saying that she wanted the murder to be resolved and wanted anyone with information to come forward.

The segment included never before seen pictures and video footage of J.B., and the last pair of dance shoes which J.B. never got to wear. A tape recording of J.B.'s voice was expected to be played when the show was in the process of planning, but the tape recording wasn't played during the airing.

Ozark police said that they didn't receive anymore calls or tips as a result of the show's airing, but that it was good to get the story out in public again.

Police Investigate Possible Link to Murder of Dothan Teens
May 12, 2002

Investigators are performing DNA testing on a work release prisoner, after he admitted to murdering a Montgomery woman by beating her and ditched her car last week in Ozark, at the same location on Herring Ave. where the two Dothan teens were found murdered almost three years ago.

Eugene Eutsey, a 24-year-old Barbour County man, was in a prison work release program in Montgomery and was working on a cleaning crew at Rave Motion Pictures, a movie theater on Vaughn Road in Montgomery, early on the morning of May 1, 2002. The cleaning crew was being supervised by 42-year-old Melva Johnston, who was reported missing at the same time that Eutsey also went missing from the work site. Eutsey was arrested by Enterprise Police at around 3:00 Saturday morning. They said that he was riding a bicycle through downtown Enterprise. After he was arrested, Eutsey eventually told police where Johnston's body and car could be found. The missing woman’s Pontiac Grand Am was located on Herring Ave. in Ozark, while her body was found behind the Rave Movie Theater in Montgomery.

Police say Eutsey probably wanted Johnston's car to escape from his work release program. Eutsey confessed to the murder and he was taken to the Montgomery County Jail without bond.

Eutsey is now a suspect in the murder of two Dothan teenagers almost three years ago in Ozark. Ozark Police Chief Tony Spivey said Eutsey has relatives and friends in Ozark and was known to visit the city frequently around the time of the murders of Tracey Hawlett and J.B. Beasley in the summer of 1999. Spivey also said there were some similarities in the murders in Ozark and the Montgomery murder, which weren’t going to be released at this time. Ozark investigators traveled to Montgomery last and questioned Eutsey. He denied any knowledge of the Ozark murders but a DNA sample was sent to the lab to be checked against DNA from the double murder. Eutsey is considered a suspect until the DNA results come back, which will be in about four to six weeks. So far, more than 100 people have been DNA tested in the case without a match.

Eutsey's criminal record includes three felonies, with one of them occuring while he was on a work-release job in Barbour County. Eutsey allegedly stole a car in Feb. 2001 while in the work-release program in Barbour County. Eutsey is serving a 15-year sentence for theft, unlawful breaging and entering and burglary, and had only been in prison for less than a year before being placed in the Montgomery work-release program.

There is still a $45,000 reward being offered for information in the Ozark murders.

Eutsey Cleared of Involvement in Murder of J.B. and Tracie
May 19, 2002

DNA test results have cleared Eugene Eutsey of any involvement in the murder case of Dothan teen-agers Traci Hawlett and J.B. Beasley. Eutsey admitted to murdering a Montgomery woman and abandoning her car on Herring Ave., where the two Dothan teens were found murdered almost three years ago. Eutsey has relatives and friends in Ozark and reportedly visited Ozark around the time of the murders of Hawlett and Beasley in the summer of 1999.

New Details in Murder Case Released
July 18, 2004

Ozark Police Chief Tony Spivey Spivey said that evidence reveals that the killer of J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett, likely suffers from a sexual dysfunction which leaves him unable to perform normally. Some of the evidence mentioned was that neither of the two Dothan teens was raped although semen was found on Beasley's bra and other clothing.

At least 100 people have been ruled out as possible suspects when the DNA hasn't matched. Investigators are still waiting for results on evidence collected at the scene, such as soils samples on the clothing from the girls.

The driver of the white truck shown on the security camera at the Big/Little store has been identified and cleared of any involvement.

Police Chief Spivey said that he is totally committed to solving this case and that he will not waiver in his commitment to the community and to the families of the victims.

Parents Hire Private Investigator
August 14, 2005

The parents of one of the girls killed in the double murder six years ago have hired a retired police chief who has experience dealing with cold cases. He has reportedly already identified three possible suspects.

Mike Roberts, the step father of Tracie Hawlett, appeared on CNN and Fox News last week naming Eugene Dusty as a suspect in the murder of Tracie and J.B. Beasley. Dusty was a work release prisoner in Montgomery when he escaped and stole a woman's car and abandoned it on Herring Ave. in Ozark. Herring Ave. is the location where the two girls were found dead in the trunk of Beasley's car.

Ozark police said that Dusty wasn't a suspect in the case. He was finger printed and had DNA tests run on him two years ago and there wasn't a match to the case.

The victim's families are asking Ozark police and the Dale County Sheriff's Office to cooperate with the private investigation. A $5,000.00 reward is being offered by the investigator for information on the location of the gun used in the murders. Also, a $1,000.00 reward is offered for the keys from J.B. Beasley's car. No question asked in either case. Information for the reward can be called to 334-714-1253. Again, no questions asked for those who supply information.

In the interest of gauging where we stand as a group on some key aspects, here are five poll questions. Obviously we're all unsure about a great many things related to the case, so I'm not going to include "Not Sure" as an option here. Whether it's instinct, deduction or you have reliable information, I'm interested in your answers and, by extension, whether a majority of us share some of the same suspicions and beliefs, or if we're completely divided as we continue to discuss.

Feel free to answer publicly or, if you're not comfortable with that, send me a private message. The goal is not to isolate and critique any one person's views, but to see what we're thinking as a group at this point.

1. Did Johnny Barrentine have direct involvement in the murders?

2. Is the DNA that was found on J.B. Beasley related to the murders?

3. Why was the car moved to Herring Avenue following the murders?

4. Who is the strongest suspect?

5. Does LE know who the killer is but they lack the evidence to convict, or does the identity of the killer continue to elude authorities?

In the interest of gauging where we stand as a group on some key aspects, here are five poll questions. Obviously we're all unsure about a great many things related to the case, so I'm not going to include "Not Sure" as an option here. Whether it's instinct, deduction or you have reliable information, I'm interested in your answers and, by extension, whether a majority of us share some of the same suspicions and beliefs, or if we're completely divided as we continue to discuss.

Feel free to answer publicly or, if you're not comfortable with that, send me a private message. The goal is not to isolate and critique any one person's views, but to see what we're thinking as a group at this point.

5. Does LE know who the killer is but they lack the evidence to convict, or does the identity of the killer continue to elude authorities?

1. No. MOO, I believe he saw the girls somewhere earlier that evening and got a good look at them.

2. Unknown. Most people think it came from the killer, but it may have come with something she did earlier in the evening. Evidently LE thinks it did as they are using it to clear suspects.

3. For one or possibly two of three reasons (1) To deny LE evidence left at the scene (footprints, bullet casings or possibly the killer lost something at the scene); (2) The killer's vehicle was parked near Herring Ave or the killer lived or was staying with someone near there or (3) The killer could be identified with the land where the girls were killed. By that I mean the land (1) belonged to the killer or a relative of the killer or (2) the killer was known to hang out or party there.

4. There are no known suspects. I think it is someone local or was local at the time and not a random killing. If this case is ever solved, I wouldn't be surprised if the killer was known to one or perhaps both of the girls.

5. There are no known suspects.

1. Johnny Berentine might know something or thought he did about the murders, but with all the crime shows I have seen about people that confess or are cohersed into confessions by police, it would not be surprising if he was playing detective like the rest of us and got caught up in something he could not get out of. If he did know what they were wearing then I guess he might know or have seen something.

2. I would hope law enforcement eliminated this by testing boyfriends, ex-boyfriends, etc. A sex crime looks to be the only motive since they were not robbed.

3. I personally believe it is because the crime happened at the residence of the killer or property too close to where he lives for him to feel comfortable leaving it where he shot them in the trunk.

4. FBI profile says young man described as a loner. I agree with the profile and since all the other suspects have been ruled out by DNA I do not know if there is a strong suspect.

5. I do not think law enforcement wait 16 years to formulate plans to try and catch killers so I think the identity is probably unknown.

There is one other thing about this case. If the FBI profile is correct then when you think about it, a single man would not need an entire house. What if he lives in an apartment? The crime happened on the night of July 31st. Maybe his lease was up and he did this before he left town?

After 16 years I guess that was thought of, but I did not read about anything like police investigating apartments. The killer could very well be someone like Berrentine who had family at home and could not take them back to his house.

If it were me, I would look for the killer in the direction where the nearest apartment is located. Maybe a landlord remembers something.

You get my first post! This case bothers me 16 years on we're no closer to knowing what happened.
To answer the above in a round about way.
1, No, maybe he's heard something though.

2,I think so. But I'm more convinced the palm print on the car is.

3, I think the suspects car was parked on the road. Otherwise why leave it somewhere it was going to be found.

4, So far I don't see any viable ones.

5,I wish they knew,really I do. But my gut says they just don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MADELINE123654