AL AL - J.B. Beasley, 17, & Tracie Hawlett, 17, Ozark, 31 July 1999 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You get my first post! This case bothers me 16 years on we're no closer to knowing what happened.
To answer the above in a round about way.
1, No, maybe he's heard something though.

2,I think so. But I'm more convinced the palm print on the car is.

3, I think the suspects car was parked on the road. Otherwise why leave it somewhere it was going to be found.

4, So far I don't see any viable ones.

5,I wish they knew,really I do. But my gut says they just don't know.

Welcome to Websleuths! :welcome2:

The one thing about this case I do not think is correct is that the killer left his vehicle parked somewhere other than his house to commit double homicide. I just think there is too great a chance of a police officer or someone else reporting or seeing the vehicle and notifying law enforcement. After 16 years, the one benefit of hindsight is knowing what has not been reported. I think someone would have reported it.

That leaves the crime taking place at an apartment or house. With the gunshots it would probably have to be a house or apartment that is isolated from others. J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett probably pulled into the wrong driveway. That is the only thing that makes sense to me. In order for the killer to come outside either the headlights must have shined directly into his house or a dog barked and alerted him. The only thing the killer seems to care about hiding in this case is the victim's car and that makes me think it is because if he had left it where it was it would lead detectives right to his front door.

In the interest of gauging where we stand as a group on some key aspects, here are five poll questions. Obviously we're all unsure about a great many things related to the case, so I'm not going to include "Not Sure" as an option here. Whether it's instinct, deduction or you have reliable information, I'm interested in your answers and, by extension, whether a majority of us share some of the same suspicions and beliefs, or if we're completely divided as we continue to discuss.

Feel free to answer publicly or, if you're not comfortable with that, send me a private message. The goal is not to isolate and critique any one person's views, but to see what we're thinking as a group at this point.

1. Did Johnny Barrentine have direct involvement in the murders?

2. Is the DNA that was found on J.B. Beasley related to the murders?

3. Why was the car moved to Herring Avenue following the murders?

4. Who is the strongest suspect?

5. Does LE know who the killer is but they lack the evidence to convict, or does the identity of the killer continue to elude authorities

This is my first post, I've been following your posts for a while & this case since AMW.
1. I think JB was only involved as an opportunist, & possibly fed info during his questioning by LE.
2.Yes, if the perpetrator had contact with the car & victims, it was most likely his DNA on her.
3. The car was moved to distance it from the killer's home & closer to the original point of first contact.(Big Little Store)
4. I feel strongly they were being watched while getting directions & making the phone call at the store.
5. LE doesn't have a solid suspect & could have done a better job of releasing information. What was sent out for testing, what type of gun was used, did the suspect drive the car & have mud on his feet?

I still feel that the truck that was parked at thee gas pumps/store may be a clue. Yes LE said they found the owner & cleared him but early in the investigation it was a very important clue, then suddenly dropped. Does anyone know what type of firearm was used? I also believe the killer posed as LE by using an easily obtainable flashing light to pull them over after following them.

The point about getting rid of the car near/on a property does make sense.

In my opinion though, why leave the car in the road (as opposed to somewhere hidden) with two dead bodies in the trunk? It's obviously going to be reported at some point. The killer(s) obviously wasn't worried about the risk of it getting reported either way. This makes me think that this was someone outside of town in some respects.

Is the town where J.B and Tracie from big? The reason I ask is surely if it's one of those smaller places where everyone knows one another, but someone committing the murder would know that the girls would be reported sooner, so in my mind, would be considerably more discreet in where the car is in placed after the crime, even if so to buy them time to alibi up etc.

This case is truly mind boggling, getting justice for these young ladies is imperative.

I still feel that the truck that was parked at thee gas pumps/store may be a clue. Yes LE said they found the owner & cleared him but early in the investigation it was a very important clue, then suddenly dropped. Does anyone know what type of firearm was used? I also believe the killer posed as LE by using an easily obtainable flashing light to pull them over after following them.

I do think something went horribly wrong at this point. The sequence in which they left the gas station is very telling too. If I remember correctly the van was there before the girls get there, and leaves immediately after them? I would love to know the explanation as to why it was just parked up in the first place. Not that parking is a crime, and there probably is a legitimate reason, however it. does look suspicious. JMO

5. Does LE know who the killer is but they lack the evidence to convict, or does the identity of the killer continue to elude authorities?

1. Neither direct nor indirect.

2. I'm giving it a 80% probability it is related.

3. After the murders Herring was close and convenient and it offered a quick and undetectable route back to home or vehicle which was not necessarily on Herring.

4. I have a feeling the killer has never been on their radar.

5. Same answer as 4.

A couple more questions I have are,

1. Was the killer known to one or both girls or was it a complete stranger?

2. Were the murders premeditated or impulsive?

BBM The murder weapon was a 9mm. There was a spent shell casing found on Tracie's leg when she was located in the trunk of the car. J.B. 's (the driver & owner of the car) operator's license license was out of her purse. This has given rise to the theory that a LE Officer or impersonator was responsible for this.

Welcome to Websleuths! :welcome6:

In my opinion though, why leave the car in the road (as opposed to somewhere hidden) with two dead bodies in the trunk? It's obviously going to be reported at some point. The killer(s) obviously wasn't worried about the risk of it getting reported either way. This makes me think that this was someone outside of town in some respects.

Is the town where J.B and Tracie from big? The reason I ask is surely if it's one of those smaller places where everyone knows one another, but someone committing the murder would know that the girls would be reported sooner, so in my mind, would be considerably more discreet in where the car is in placed after the crime, even if so to buy them time to alibi up etc.

This case is truly mind boggling, getting justice for these young ladies is imperative.

BBM J.B. & Tracie lived in Dothan AL. Wikepedia indicates the population of Dothan was 65,496 in 2010. The Dothan metropolitan area had 145,639.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dothan,_Alabama

3. After the murders Herring was close and convenient and it offered a quick and undetectable route back to home or vehicle which was not necessarily on Herring.

5. Same answer as 4.

BBM All we can do is speculate since we don't know who the killer or killers are. (1) I believe the killer was known to at least one of the girls. (2) I don't see how this could be premeditated as the girls had planned to go to a field party. They became lost and never made it there. If they had made it to the party, they probably would not have crossed paths with the killer. Because of that, I think it was impulsive or a crime of opportunity.

5. Same answer as 4.

1. I think complete stranger. Because of where they ended up at the gas station either they made a last minute decision to stop to see someone they knew or they really were lost and going directly home. But you could go out on a limb and say maybe someone knew J.B. Beasley's birthday. Maybe the person was already in the trunk of the car? That makes no sense, but you have to look at every possibility.

2. I definitely think the crime was impulsive. Two people who ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I think there is something very important to keep in mind about this case. Where J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett's car was parked could mean something or nothing. I think this criminal is very lazy. The spent shell casing, the DNA on the victim even when they were near water, and there being two victims all say to me this is not a very organized individual. This is the type of criminal where it would not surprise me if he lived across the street from where the car was parked. It would be strange to me based on all the physical evidence he left behind if all the sudden he got smart and decided to park the car two miles away from his house or where he left his truck. I just think there is too much of a risk to be walking around between 12 - 3 am in the morning without someone noticing or thinking that strange. It seems like someone who just does not care and that again makes me think it is a stranger because if they knew J.B. Beasley or Tracie Hawlett they might have taken more precaution in what they left behind. And I base it on 16 years of police talking to people that J.B. and Tracie knew and coming up with nothing.

Maybe that was part of the killers MO. They wanted the crime to be discovered quickly for the thrill, or possibly a message of some kind. I believe the intersecting road was James St..

Maybe the killer wanted the crime to be discovered quickly for the thrill it would generate if they did live locally. If there wasn't dirt inside the cabin of the car then they may have been taken away in the killers car & later returned to JB's car which may have been parked near the original point of contact with the killer. I think the closest crossroad was James St..

5. Does LE know who the killer is but they lack the evidence to convict, or does the identity of the killer continue to elude authorities?

Might as well make my first post here as well.

1) No. I don't think he was involved at all.

2) Unfortunately, I think it probably isn't. I think it was probably missed in the initial autopsy because it was a trace amount left over after being cleaned up from a previous consensual encounter. Just my opinion and obviously not meant to be disrespectful to JB.

3) It was a good place to dump the car. Dark and wooded with a quick escape through the trees if needed. The ball field parking lot would have been a great spot for a second car to be waiting.

4) Don't think they have a clue.

5) They have no idea.

Might as well make my first post here as well.

1) No. I don't think he was involved at all.

2) Unfortunately, I think it probably isn't. I think it was probably missed in the initial autopsy because it was a trace amount left over after being cleaned up from a previous consensual encounter. Just my opinion and obviously not meant to be disrespectful to JB.

3) It was a good place to dump the car. Dark and wooded with a quick escape through the trees if needed. The ball field parking lot would have been a great spot for a second car to be waiting.

4) Don't think they have a clue.

5) They have no idea.

Welcome to Websleuths! :wagon:

[/B]

BBM All we can do is speculate since we don't know who the killer or killers are. (1) I believe the killer was known to at least one of the girls. (2) I don't see how this could be premeditated as the girls had planned to go to a field party. They became lost and never made it there. If they had made it to the party, they probably would not have crossed paths with the killer. Because of that, I think it was impulsive or a crime of opportunity.

I concur that this was not premeditated in terms of who the victim was. I mean for it to have been premeditated they would have had to have been followed from start to finish, and whilst there was a chance that this could happen, it seems with the change in plans that night very unlikely. The killer went out on a mission to kill that night though, and was extremely determined to do so as he was challenged with two people, and obviously this didn't deter him.
Definitely an opportunity kill unfortunately for JB and Tracie.

I'm on the fence with whether the killer knew the girls or not/vice versa. I assume the girls would only stop for a person they potentially recognised, or alternatively a person of higher authority, and no one in between. The fact that the driving license was on the dashboard/window on the drivers side was partially open suggests that it was the latter. I have a scenario in my mind that this LE impersonator asked the girls to step out of the car once the driving license had been produced and promptly on the dashboard, rather then put away. Hence enabling the killer to gain immediate control when the girls stepped outside. Obviously this is JMO on how it could have gone down.

Why else would you leave your driving license out, unless it's to buy alcohol/clubbing etc. They seemed quite sensible from what I've read so I can't see this being the reason. I don't know a single person who just leaves it on the dashboard where it could fall off etc. There is a possibility, it is however remote.

Alternatively, if it was a local person, they obviously were of the opinion that were never going to be caught as IMO they left clues which will hopefully solve these awful murders, though I am aware there are definitely people out there that believe they are invincible so don't give a second thought to evidence. Unless of course the killer was rushing due to interruptions ie potential witness. Also There are times where LE start demanding DNA tests from people which runs the risk of being caught quite quickly if the killer remains in the same vicinity. This makes me think whoever did this was not from this town as the possibility of random DNA sample is just too risky/close to home.

Wow rambling on there! All JMO off course

One aspect of the case that while simple could be important was the time the crime occurred. If they did not cross paths with the kidnapper until around midnight and the crime took place over the next few hours that is rather late. What houses would still have interior lights on after midnight in the area where the car was found?

This leads to an important question regarding maps. On the Haunting Evidence episode one of their ideas was mapping out locations that J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett visited in an attempt to help police. So based on where the car was parked on Herring Avenue,

Where do you think the killer in this case lives in relation to the where their car was left on Herring Ave? Or is he from outside Ozark, AL?

I think based on where the car was parked on Herring, if the killer crossed through the woods he lives either directly east or west of where the car was parked in one of the houses or if he took the time to get the car away from the immediate area, lives to the south on Matthews. I think there are apartments off Matthews so in my opinion the best chance of where the killer lives is on Matthews Street.

3. For one or possibly two of three reasons (1) To deny LE evidence left at the scene (footprints, bullet casings or possibly the killer lost something at the scene); (2) The killer's vehicle was parked near Herring Ave or the killer lived or was staying with someone near there

If it were me, I would look for the killer in the direction where the nearest apartment is located.

I think there is something very important to keep in mind about this case. Where J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett's car was parked could mean something or nothing. I think this criminal is very lazy. The spent shell casing, the DNA on the victim even when they were near water, and there being two victims all say to me this is not a very organized individual. This is the type of criminal where it would not surprise me if he lived across the street from where the car was parked. It would be strange to me based on all the physical evidence he left behind if all the sudden he got smart and decided to park the car two miles away from his house or where he left his truck. I just think there is too much of a risk to be walking around between 12 - 3 am in the morning without someone noticing or thinking that strange. It seems like someone who just does not care and that again makes me think it is a stranger because if they knew J.B. Beasley or Tracie Hawlett they might have taken more precaution in what they left behind. And I base it on 16 years of police talking to people that J.B. and Tracie knew and coming up with nothing.

Maybe that was part of the killers MO. They wanted the crime to be discovered quickly for the thrill, or possibly a message of some kind. I believe the intersecting road was James St..

Alternatively, if it was a local person, they obviously were of the opinion that were never going to be caught as IMO they left clues which will hopefully solve these awful murders, though I am aware there are definitely people out there that believe they are invincible so don't give a second thought to evidence. Unless of course the killer was rushing due to interruptions ie potential witness. Also There are times where LE start demanding DNA tests from people which runs the risk of being caught quite quickly if the killer remains in the same vicinity. This makes me think whoever did this was not from this town as the possibility of random DNA sample is just too risky/close to home.

One aspect of the case that while simple could be important was the time the crime occurred. If they did not cross paths with the kidnapper until around midnight and the crime took place over the next few hours that is rather late. What houses would still have interior lights on after midnight in the area where the car was found?

I think based on where the car was parked on Herring, if the killer crossed through the woods he lives either directly east or west of where the car was parked in one of the houses or if he took the time to get the car away from the immediate area, lives to the south on Matthews. I think there are apartments off Matthews so in my opinion the best chance of where the killer lives is on Matthews Street.

A man from Michigan who was at a party the night of the murders near where the car was found is also a "very viable" suspect, Spivey said.

The man, whom Spivey would not name, left town within days of the murders, the chief said, adding that investigators had traveled to Michigan three times to interview him.

The man cannot account for three or four hours of his time on the night of the murders, and later made "suspicious" statements to people, Spivey said. He would not elaborate on what he meant by suspicious.

—“Killer still on the loose, baffles police,” The Mobile Register, July 23, 2000

I just spoke with Tricia (owner of Websleuths) and she would like to feature the Beasley-Hawlett case on True Crime Radio this coming Thursday, Aug. 20 at 9 p.m. Eastern.

I'll be writing a summary of the case for the show, but Tricia still needs a guest. We both felt that the ideal would be to have a family member on the show. I attempted to contact jburgoon, who is listed as a verified family member, without success.

If anyone has contact with jburgoon, will you please relay the message? This is a great opportunity to raise awareness by bringing the case lots of exposure. As those of you who were here in March 2013 when it was the Featured Cold Case may remember, our discussion really took off, to say the least. We need as many eyes and minds on this case as we can get.

Hi all! New to this thread, and reading from the beginning, but just wanted to throw this idea out there before it gets forgotten. Yall may know things that makes this scenario impossible so please forgive me if so, I'm kind of putting the cart before the horse here because I haven't read all the pages yet.

Once I read about the id being on the dash, I instantly thought that was strange. It made me think they had obviously been stopped by a cop. Now, I have the utmost respect for officers, but I know there are bad apples among every profession. I know 9mm have been a choice of guns that cops carry, but I'm not sure when this became a popular weapon for them. If the girls were lost, they may have flagged a cop down, or driven by one posted somewhere. Or, been stopped by an officer(although I think it would put the cop at risk of being noticed this way) but couldn't a cop have simply pulled his gun and got in the car with them? Like
I said, no disrespect to LE I know MOST are brave and selfless and great people.

Does anyone know what type of gun was used by the police force in that area at that time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member