AL AL - J.B. Beasley, 17, & Tracie Hawlett, 17, Ozark, 31 July 1999 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, I see that now, an hour long program. Maybe we'll see it one day on one of the myriad of shows on Investigation Discovery.
What do you make of that title?

I have the feeling that this is more of an independant and non-commercial documentary in the vein of Bayou Blue (about Ronald Dominique) that ppl will be able to buy on dvd or watch on netflix/hulu only because from what I could see from the Discovery Investigation channel is that most of their shows come from almost the same production companies (a company which likes to add drama and inaccuracies to their documents :/ ) There could be many reasons why it hasn't been released yet and knowing a little about cinema I'd say it might be because they are still looking for a distributor for it.

I'm also wondering about the title to be honest.

I have the feeling that this is more of an independant and non-commercial documentary in the vein of Bayou Blue (about Ronald Dominique) that ppl will be able to buy on dvd or watch on netflix/hulu only because from what I could see from the Discovery Investigation channel is that most of their shows come from almost the same production companies (a company which likes to add drama and inaccuracies to their documents :/ ) There could be many reasons why it hasn't been released yet and knowing a little about cinema I'd say it might be because they are still looking for a distributor for it.

They could be still shopping it around. Add 29 minutes of commercials to it and it would almost pass for a feature lenght doc. It can't be any worse than haunting evidence.

shined

1 - to emit rays of light

2 - to be bright by reflection of light

3 - to be eminent, conspicuous, or distinguished, to perform extremely well

4 - to have a bright glowing appearance

5 - to be conspicuously evident or clear

Apparently only one rabbit shown or was shined.

Could it be some sort of local slang term?

They could be still shopping it around. Add 29 minutes of commercials to it and it would almost pass for a feature lenght doc. It can't be any worse than haunting evidence.

I know what 'shined' means lol I just meant that it's a strange title lol but like CoolJ said maybe it's a local slang.

I know if you add those tv commercials it would pass as a full lenght documentary but since it's an independant documentary I doubt Investigation would be willling to buy it but then I think it's better if it's available on netflix/hulu since in the long run it's gonna reach more ppl.

Btw, I sent a message to the producer(s) of Shined Rabbit and talked about the case being on websleuth and that they were welcomed to check it out.

It is my understanding that it is being "shopped" to networks such as Sundance, etc. for airing. It is supposed to be released by next summer or earlier if a network is found.

In response to questions about the title:
Being from LA, (lower Alabama), to "shine" an animal means to blind the animal with light(s) at night, as in, "Come on Bubba, let's go shine some deer." Poachers, or "night hunters" as they are known locally, usually shine deer before shooting them. Not sure whether or not that has to anything to do with it, but I am very familiar with that term.

New poster, but have read the #1 thread and #2 thread. I lived in Dothan and graduated from Northview, years prior to JB and Tracie. I was not living in Dothan, when this happened. Once I left Dothan for College, I did not come back much, because my family eventually moved away as well. I only heard about this case recently.

A new documentary about the case is an interesting development. I am hoping it could help with some kind of revelation or new information. Very tragic and can't imagine what the families have been living through for 17 years. Does anyone know anything about the producer/director and how they got interested in this case? I'm not a researcher, but did do a Google search and didn't come up with any more information than already stated here.

Thank you all for keeping this case going to find a resolution.

New poster, but have read the #1 thread and #2 thread. I lived in Dothan and graduated from Northview, years prior to JB and Tracie. I was not living in Dothan, when this happened. Once I left Dothan for College, I did not come back much, because my family eventually moved away as well. I only heard about this case recently.

A new documentary about the case is an interesting development. I am hoping it could help with some kind of revelation or new information. Very tragic and can't imagine what the families have been living through for 17 years. Does anyone know anything about the producer/director and how they got interested in this case? I'm not a researcher, but did do a Google search and didn't come up with any more information than already stated here.

Thank you all for keeping this case going to find a resolution.

Welcome to Websleuths!

In response to questions about the title:
Being from LA, (lower Alabama), to "shine" an animal means to blind the animal with light(s) at night, as in, "Come on Bubba, let's go shine some deer." Poachers, or "night hunters" as they are known locally, usually shine deer before shooting them. Not sure whether or not that has to anything to do with it, but I am very familiar with that term.

Fell out my chair LOL ... yes my kin and dim say this same thang .. in mid alabama .. "Come on Bubba, let's go shine some deer." :facepalm:

I had no idea there was a thread on this case here. I should start venturing out of the Ramsey section more often.

I should probably read this lengthy thread before responding but here goes....

I don't buy the cop conspiracy theory and the false confession many years ago likely did irrepairable damage to the case. IMO what happened here is these two girls were going out with some guys they didn't know very well. It wouldn't have been out of character. If memory serves me correctly(it may not), these teens went to Panama City, FL during spring break unsupervised so going out to party was probably a regular event in their lives.

I don't believe they were genuinely lost from the get go. Its fairly obvious they had no intentions of really going to that field party. They made the one phone call to a friend and never made a serious attempt to go. In fact, they gave up quickly and they also only allowed themselves a couple hours to go to this party before curfew for Tracie....which leads us to that call she made to her mother. IMO the call has a lot more to do with explaining to mom that they are not going to be home on time than it does about the two of them not knowing where they are. The girls were simply covering the curfew base with that call....as many other teens have done before and since.

I can see why this case hit a brick wall. No one knows what the girls were really doing. They never told anyone. We just know what they weren't doing and that's being at the party they were supposed to be going to.

IMO something went wrong during a rendezvous with a couple of guys and unfortunately they wound up being murdered. If memory serves me correctly(again, it may not), JB showed signs of sexual activity but Tracie did not. Maybe Tracie did not like the guy she was with, he made a move, she struggled, one thing led to another....

Cases like this should be taught in high schools. Teens should always tell their parents where they are going...even if they are up to no good. Most times it turns out ok but in the one in a million cases it does not. Don't be that one in a million.

I wish this case could be solved.

I mainly read the Ramsey section here but I'm gonna bookmark this thread and start reading it.

I had no idea there was a thread on this case here. I should start venturing out of the Ramsey section more often.

I should probably read this lengthy thread before responding but here goes....

I don't buy the cop conspiracy theory and the false confession many years ago likely did irrepairable damage to the case. IMO what happened here is these two girls were going out with some guys they didn't know very well. It wouldn't have been out of character. If memory serves me correctly(it may not), these teens went to Panama City, FL during spring break unsupervised so going out to party was probably a regular event in their lives.

I don't believe they were genuinely lost from the get go. Its fairly obvious they had no intentions of really going to that field party. They made the one phone call to a friend and never made a serious attempt to go. In fact, they gave up quickly and they also only allowed themselves a couple hours to go to this party before curfew for Tracie....which leads us to that call she made to her mother. IMO the call has a lot more to do with explaining to mom that they are not going to be home on time than it does about the two of them not knowing where they are. The girls were simply covering the curfew base with that call....as many other teens have done before and since.

I can see why this case hit a brick wall. No one knows what the girls were really doing. They never told anyone. We just know what they weren't doing and that's being at the party they were supposed to be going to.

IMO something went wrong during a rendezvous with a couple of guys and unfortunately they wound up being murdered. If memory serves me correctly(again, it may not), JB showed signs of sexual activity but Tracie did not. Maybe Tracie did not like the guy she was with, he made a move, she struggled, one thing led to another....

Cases like this should be taught in high schools. Teens should always tell their parents where they are going...even if they are up to no good. Most times it turns out ok but in the one in a million cases it does not. Don't be that one in a million.

I wish this case could be solved.

I mainly read the Ramsey section here but I'm gonna bookmark this thread and start reading it.

Thank you for your interest in this case. We welcome all the new members to this thread. The short version of what happened is this...They (J.B. & Tracie) originally planned to go to the Field Party, but sometime during the evening their plans changed. They had hoped to meet up with a couple of boys, but were not able to locate them. All of this was confirmed by the private investigator hired by one of the parents. Tracie, had a job at J.C. Penny in Dothan. After she got off of work @ 9 PM, J.B. picked her up and they went back to Tracie's house and changed clothes before heading out. J.B. had planned to spend the night at Tracie's house and go to Church with her the following day. They had roughly 2 hours of time which was probably spent looking for the two aforementioned boys before they ended up at the Big/Little Store where the phone call was made to Tracie's mother at approximately 11:30 PM., which was the time of Tracie's curfew.

The witness who gave them directions at the store said they were alone and nothing appeared wrong. She also said that no vehicle followed their car as they pulled out. J.B. had been to Ozark several times and knew her way around the town. However, she was probably confused about which road to take to get into part of the town she was familiar with.

The hapless Johnny Barrentine never confessed to the crime. He went to LE and told several different stories about what he claimed he saw. He probably did this in a clumsy attempt to collect reward money. While he apparently saw the girls that night as he was able to correctly describe their clothing, the stories he told LE were false and it didn't take them too long to see thru them. His efforts sidetracked the investigation for at least a month and valuable time and resources were lost pursing his stories.

As far as Beasley's "signs of sexual activity", she did have semen on her skin and undergarments. While it was initially thought to originate from the killer, a lot of people are now saying it was not related to the murders.

Also, there is a documentary film that has been made on the murders, but not released as of yet. Here is the link if you would like to read about it: http://www.shinedrabbit.com/

The AL Attorney's General Office has assigned a cold-case investigator to this case and we are hopeful he can solve it. He welcomes all tips and information the public may have. Here is the link: http://www.ago.alabama.gov/Page-Cold-Case-AG-Beasley-Hawlett

Thank you again for your interest in this case and by all means post any information you or questions you have. There are several people that have worked very hard on this case and we welcome anyone willing to work!

TedMac

Yeah I figured there were some details I had forgot over the years or got wrong(the confession). I should've brushed up on the case before commenting although I do know the cliffs notes version.

Thanks for posting that link. I bookmarked it. I would love to see a documentary on this case. One is about 17 years overdue. I know this case got some media attention back then but it deserved more. Its odd how the media picks and chooses which cases to push hard but that's beside the point.

Like I said, I need to read this whole thread to learn more info on the case but I do have some questions for you(or anyone)....

If the story has now veered in a more logical, realistic direction about them going to hook up with a couple guys and abandoning the plans for the party, why is the party still being pushed as one of the focal points of the story? That website you posted a link to even does it in their brief summary of the case. In fact, this was pushed from day one and like I mentioned in my post, even back when I first heard about the case back then I immediately believed the murder revolved around lying about going to the party and were really going to have a discreet hookup with a couple older guys(early 20s). It actually reminded me of some of the things I did in my early 20s(going out with a few 17 year olds). Might be one of the reasons this case fascinated me at the time. One girl I went out with in summer 98(I was 23, she 17), we met at the pool hall and she wanted to go out and do other things. She told her mom she was staying the night at a friend's house and obviously that is not what she was doing. Luckily for her I am no lunatic and everything was fine and she was safe the entire time. Now if she had met the wrong guy and something tragic happened, the trail runs cold immediately since she never told anyone what she was really doing that night. I actually told her to stop doing that and I am fairly certain that earned me no brownie points.

When I heard about these murders the next summer(was it AMW?), I thought of her. We've all been teens once and had that confidence that only a teen can have....the whole invincibility factor going and bad things only happen to OTHER people.

When and how did they find out that they were going out with guys? Did one of their friends who either knew about it or assumed it finally speak out? If this is now considered an official part of the story/timeline, the party, the supposed drive to this party and them being "lost" while trying to find it needs to be thrown in the red herring category IMO. It will not help get us any closer to finding out what realy happened that night.

I think this case is solvable although it may take a lucky break to bust it wide open.

They had roughly 2 hours of time which was probably spent looking for the two aforementioned boys before they ended up at the Big/Little Store where the phone call was made to Tracie's mother at approximately 11:30 PM., which was the time of Tracie's curfew.
IMO they did not spend two hours just looking for these boys. When young people hook up and have it planned, they generally have an idea of how its going to play out.....where to meet, where you're going, etc. Even if the girls did not know the area very well, there would have been a spot chosen(say a store, mall, hotel, etc.) for the meetup.

Odd timing for that phone call. LIke I said earlier, it comes across as covering the curfew base. Two different scenarios IMO could've played out here....

1. They met up with the boys during those two hours, didn't like them or something happened, so they decided to end the evening early and put a call in to mom to let her know they're on their way. Then these guys follow them from the store and all hell breaks loose later on.

2. They met them, everything clicked, the call was made to explain being late and they planned on hooking up with them again later that night after the call was made. Later on....all hell breaks loose.

IMO the chances of them being murdered by some random guy(s) they don't know are minimal at best.

Were they tested for drugs and/or was there any drug residue found in the car? I'm sure the answers are buried in this thread and I don't remember the details on this. JB's drivers license being found like that is probably the main reason some believe it was a cop or someone impersonating a cop. I disagree. I can think of two reasons(and I've personally experienced both in my youth) why that license was there....

1. Someone didn't believe their ages(I'm assuming they said they were 18) and this guy(s) wanted to see some ID.

2. Young people are known to use an ID/drivers license to whip up lines of meth/cocaine. This doesn't mean they were going to use drugs themselves but the people with them may have wanted to so JB pulled out her license. Its in the perfect spot in the car if anyone there that night wanted to snort meth/cocaine in the car. If there is no drug residue in the car or on the license, its possible that this is a sign(IF this even happened) when things may have taken a turn for the worse and the girls are now in trouble.

The location of the car is odd to say the least. Not really sure what to make of that. I need to read up on this case further in this thread and I notice there's an even older thread on the case before I speculate on that aspect of the crime.

If the story has now veered in a more logical, realistic direction about them going to hook up with a couple guys and abandoning the plans for the party, why is the party still being pushed as one of the focal points of the story? Probably because the original story that newspapers printed, radio news broadcasted and TV news reported had the story of them getting lost on their way to a party and running into the killers. It wasn't immediately known that they were trying to meet a couple of guys. They had told their parents that they were going to the field party and that is what the parents told LE.

When and how did they find out that they were going out with guys? Did one of their friends who either knew about it or assumed it finally speak out? I am not sure exactly when it was discovered that they were hoping to meet the boys. I know the private investigator interviewed the boys several years after cleared them. They (the boys) were able to provide verified alibis where they were that night.

Odd timing for that phone call. LIke I said earlier, it comes across as covering the curfew base. Carol Roberts (Tracie's mom) said that Tracie was never late. She apparently never acted out and kept her mother informed of what she was doing. I believe she knew she couldn't make it back to Dothan by 11:30 so she simply called her mom to tell her they were on the way home.

1. They met up with the boys during those two hours, didn't like them or something happened, so they decided to end the evening early and put a call in to mom to let her know they're on their way. Then these guys follow them from the store and all hell breaks loose later on.

2. They met them, everything clicked, the call was made to explain being late and they planned on hooking up with them again later that night after the call was made. Later on....all hell breaks loose.

Again, it has been verified they never met up with the boys.

IMO the chances of them being murdered by some random guy(s) they don't know are minimal at best. Agreed. I think they were killed by someone they knew or at a minimum, at least one of them knew. This person was someone they did not fear or never thought would do them harm. Basically, I believe they decided to make one stop before going home-possibly a bathroom stop and the killer was there waiting for them.

Were they tested for drugs and/or was there any drug residue found in the car? The autopsies confirmed that neither girl had any type of drug or alcohol in their systems.

JB's drivers license being found like that is probably the main reason some believe it was a cop or someone impersonating a cop. I disagree. I can think of two reasons(and I've personally experienced both in my youth) why that license was there.... It was recently announced that the investigators and crime scene techs took J.B.'s license from her purse and photographed it and did not put it back. Thus was born the theory of the killer being a police officer or impersonator.

The location of the car is odd to say the least. I think the car was left where it was because the killer drove it back there. He or she either (1) lived near where the car was parked, (2) was staying with someone who lived near there or (3) had his or her vehicle parked near there.

If the story has now veered in a more logical, realistic direction about them going to hook up with a couple guys and abandoning the plans for the party, why is the party still being pushed as one of the focal points of the story? Probably because the original story that newspapers printed, radio news broadcasted and TV news reported had the story of them getting lost on their way to a party and running into the killers. It wasn't immediately known that they were trying to meet a couple of guys. They had told their parents that they were going to the field party and that is what the parents told LE.

When and how did they find out that they were going out with guys? Did one of their friends who either knew about it or assumed it finally speak out? I am not sure exactly when it was discovered that they were hoping to meet the boys. I know the private investigator interviewed the boys several years after cleared them. They (the boys) were able to provide verified alibis where they were that night.

Odd timing for that phone call. LIke I said earlier, it comes across as covering the curfew base. Carol Roberts (Tracie's mom) said that Tracie was never late. She apparently never acted out and kept her mother informed of what she was doing. I believe she knew she couldn't make it back to Dothan by 11:30 so she simply called her mom to tell her they were on the way home.

Again, it has been verified they never met up with the boys.

IMO the chances of them being murdered by some random guy(s) they don't know are minimal at best. Agreed. I think they were killed by someone they knew or at a minimum, at least one of them knew. This person was someone they did not fear or never thought would do them harm. Basically, I believe they decided to make one stop before going home-possibly a bathroom stop and the killer was there waiting for them.

Were they tested for drugs and/or was there any drug residue found in the car? The autopsies confirmed that neither girl had any type of drug or alcohol in their systems.

JB's drivers license being found like that is probably the main reason some believe it was a cop or someone impersonating a cop. I disagree. I can think of two reasons(and I've personally experienced both in my youth) why that license was there.... It was recently announced that the investigators and crime scene techs took J.B.'s license from her purse and photographed it and did not put it back. Thus was born the theory of the killer being a police officer or impersonator.

The location of the car is odd to say the least. I think the car was left where it was because the killer drove it back there. He or she either (1) lived near where the car was parked, (2) was staying with someone who lived near there or (3) had his or her vehicle parked near there.

Very good write up TedMac

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I tend to think J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett were killed by a stranger the night of July 31, 1999. The reason is that police 101 is usually they look at men associated with females that go missing or are murdered.

The map of the town of Ozark, AL looks like a town that is landlocked by streets so if you miss your turn to go south you will end up driving around town. Spatially the only way to end up close to the area where the car was found is to try to go south by following streets to their end, then turning south.

I cannot make any guesses as to phone calls or what their plans might have been. The only conclusion tends to be that they never fulfilled those plans.

If you remember that the first phone call was made from Headland, AL and the second from Ozark, AL, something changed in their plans or they were lost. Even if they changed their plans how did the killer know without a phone call?

Tracie made the call to her mom at around 11:30 pm.

If a person just shows up at your door at 11:30pm without letting you know, would you be concerned at that time of night about who was at the front door? How did J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett let the person know they were coming over?

In my opinion, there is no evidence to suggest they knew their killer.

I tend to think J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett were killed by a stranger the night of July 31, 1999. The reason is that police 101 is usually they look at men associated with females that go missing or are murdered.

The map of the town of Ozark, AL looks like a town that is landlocked by streets so if you miss your turn to go south you will end up driving around town. Spatially the only way to end up close to the area where the car was found is to try to go south by following streets to their end, then turning south.

I cannot make any guesses as to phone calls or what their plans might have been. The only conclusion tends to be that they never fulfilled those plans.

If you remember that the first phone call was made from Headland, AL and the second from Ozark, AL, something changed in their plans or they were lost. Even if they changed their plans how did the killer know without a phone call?

Tracie made the call to her mom at around 11:30 pm.

If a person just shows up at your door at 11:30pm without letting you know, would you be concerned at that time of night about who was at the front door? How did J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett let the person know they were coming over?

In my opinion, there is no evidence to suggest they knew their killer.

You may be correct that a stranger killed them. None of us know for sure. As you know, there are several theories that have been discussed here. But as far as "If a person just shows up at your door at 11:30 pm without letting you know, would you be concerned at that time of night about who was at the front door? How did J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett let the person know they were coming over?" The truth is J.B. was made aware of a certain party earlier that day and she was invited. A certain person was there and I think you know whom I am referring too. Of course, this doesn't mean he killed them, but it just makes me even more suspicious of him. M.O.O. Also, this same individual had stated that J.B. had been in his company several times before, including in his home. I really believe they went by the residence he had told J.B. earlier about possible to "put in an appearance" before going home or simply to use the bathroom or both. The phone call Tracie made to her mom bought them a little more time. But again, I could be totally wrong about my theory and a stranger may have killed them.

One more thing...FWIW...The infamous "Man from Michigan" was also also in Ozark that night and was also at a different party. He is the one that made the "suspicious" statements as described by the Ozark Police Chief and their investigators went to Michigan 3 times to interview him. I can't help but believe that they had more than a passing interest in him.

I just hope that whether the killer or killers were known to them or not, the case will be solved.

You may be correct that a stranger killed them. None of us know for sure. As you know, there are several theories that have been discussed here. But as far as "If a person just shows up at your door at 11:30 pm without letting you know, would you be concerned at that time of night about who was at the front door? How did J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett let the person know they were coming over?" The truth is J.B. was made aware of a certain party earlier that day and she was invited. A certain person was there and I think you know whom I am referring too. Of course, this doesn't mean he killed them, but it just makes me even more suspicious of him. M.O.O. Also, this same individual had stated that J.B. had been in his company several times before, including in his home. I really believe they went by the residence he had told J.B. earlier about possible to "put in an appearance" before going home or simply to use the bathroom or both. The phone call Tracie made to her mom bought them a little more time. But again, I could be totally wrong about my theory and a stranger may have killed them.

One more thing...FWIW...The infamous "Man from Michigan" was also also in Ozark that night and was also at a different party. He is the one that made the "suspicious" statements as described by the Ozark Police Chief and their investigators went to Michigan 3 times to interview him. I can't help but believe that they had more than a passing interest in him.

I just hope that whether the killer or killers were known to them or not, the case will be solved.

One could also make argument that there is no evidence to suggest the killer was a stranger.

It is mostly because of the cracked window that I think the killer is someone they did not know. I think if someone went to a person's house they knew(especially if they did not call first), then I think they would just get out of the car and go inside the house. Or at least they would be comfortable in getting out of the car. This is why I think a phone call is important to let the person know they are coming over first.

But maybe J.B. Beasley was having a cigarette or the killer had a cigarette when he drove the car later. Who knows. That is why they call it a mystery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper