AL AL - J.B. Beasley, 17, & Tracie Hawlett, 17, Ozark, 31 July 1999 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
JMO: someone comfortable being out late at night(darkness), familiar & comfortable with handguns(experienced), someone conifdent that they can move freely in this area(local or works locally), someone that has killed before ( former military, LE, or sociopath). Also why does he have to be a young man? Where does this dog with the briars fit in?? Was it just luck leaving so little clues behind?

I based the young single man on the FBI profile of the killer. I tend to think FBI has some intelligent people working for them. It does not have to be a young man. It does not have to be someone with a dog. He could be old and single. He could have a wife and kids. He may or may not own a dog.

Yes, it was luck leaving so little clues behind. I really would not say that he did not leave any clues. DNA, possible palm print, are things that can definitely tie you to the victims or their car. In my opinion, this seems like a rather lazy killer. I think where this case went wrong was Johnny Berentine. Police probably thought they had their suspect and with a confession that made it even stronger. With so many false confessions these days the police probably should have looked a little closer at the crime. Maybe they did and maybe I am wrong, but I have come to one solid conclusion after looking at cold cases, watching investigation shows, and reading Websleuths posts:

1. Criminals are not that smart.

What hurts this case is 16 years. Maybe police did ask the right questions. The one question I would have asked after trying to turn the conversation to religion would be "Did you go to church on Sunday?" And go from there.

I based the young single man on the FBI profile of the killer. I tend to think FBI has some intelligent people working for them. It does not have to be a young man. It does not have to be someone with a dog. He could be old and single. He could have a wife and kids. He may or may not own a dog.

Yes, it was luck leaving so little clues behind. I really would not say that he did not leave any clues. DNA, possible palm print, are things that can definitely tie you to the victims or their car. In my opinion, this seems like a rather lazy killer. I think where this case went wrong was Johnny Berentine. Police probably thought they had their suspect and with a confession that made it even stronger. With so many false confessions these days the police probably should have looked a little closer at the crime. Maybe they did and maybe I am wrong, but I have come to one solid conclusion after looking at cold cases, watching investigation shows, and reading Websleuths posts:

1. Criminals are not that smart.

What hurts this case is 16 years. Maybe police did ask the right questions. The one question I would have asked after trying to turn the conversation to religion would be "Did you go to church on Sunday?" And go from there.
I understand the need to keep some clues " secret" for,the benefit of the investigation . I was under the impression that some evidence was not released to the public, but after this much time LE seems to need all the help they can get. Many criminals aren't very smart , the very intelligent ones are the exception & sociopaths are a different category altogether. I agree the police wasted time on Barrentine and should have looked,for more evidence etc. where does the religion, " Did you go to church?" Fit in?

I understand the need to keep some clues " secret" for,the benefit of the investigation . I was under the impression that some evidence was not released to the public, but after this much time LE seems to need all the help they can get. Many criminals aren't very smart , the very intelligent ones are the exception & sociopaths are a different category altogether. I agree the police wasted time on Barrentine and should have looked,for more evidence etc. where does the religion, " Did you go to church?" Fit in?

The church question is a 1999 question I would have asked on the off chance of trying to narrow down possible suspects. It does not mean the person goes to church or does not go to church and just missed that Sunday because they were sick. Just another broad question. I doubt you can ask that question today.

What got me so interested in this case was the map of the area. If J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett followed the directions given to them and turned onto Union St. (123 S/also spur to 231 S.) there are few ways they could have directly found themselves back inside of Ozark. The main way would be to make a left onto Adams St. which turns into James St., cross paths with killer, who then leaves car on Herring. But why would they make a left going back into town? The other directional error they might have made would be to not have made a left at the main spur for 231 S and keep going down the same road (Perry), but this would take them well outside the main city part of Ozark.

Because I do not know what the road signs looked like in 1999 vs. today it is difficult to figure out psychologically what they might have done. But I think there are 3 main things to keep in mind:

1. How EXACTLY did the witness give directions to the girls?
2. It was dark outside.
3. There probably would have been light traffic at that time of night(11:30pm).

The other thing that I have never seen discussed is whether or not after calling Tracy's mom if the girls ever called back the people at the party in Halesburg to let them know they were not coming? I thought maybe they forgot to do this and once they were on the main route back home stopped at another gas station to make that phone call. But then there would be another person to inform police of that call they got from the girls. How many quarters did they have in their pockets when their bodies were found? Maybe they got out of the car but never made it to the payphone?

This is exactly what I mean about 2015 vs. 1999. Payphones are more and more becoming a thing of the past. I constantly see old areas where you can tell there was a payphone but not anymore, especially if the payphone is isolated by itself. There are still payphones at truck stops and other major areas but they tend to be inside. Any gas stations along there route after getting directions that might have an isolated payphone and be kind of run down with lots of weeds? All these questions are just educated guesses even my ideas about the Ozark AL map.

The truth of the matter is that what happened to J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett after they left that Ozark gas station in July 1999 remains a mystery.

I've looked at this case here at Websleuths, and I've discussed it at work withpeople who watch a lot of the shows on cable TV that discuss cold cases. We're all of the opinion that the girls were stopped by a cop, either one who'd gone rogue or someone was impersonating a cop. The partially rolled down window, the IDs where they were found, and the gun caliber all point in that direction.

If that rumor about a 6-cell cop-type flashlight being found in a stream after the crime is true, that would add even more evidence, as who wouldn't go back to recover it? Only someone who had something to hide. It might also explain the victims' wet pants legs.

The cop angle makes sense, although I think it's more likely somebody impersonating a cop. Were there any other incidents or busts, of people in that area impersonating cops?

I know there has been a lot of speculation concerning J.B. and Tracie being killed by a LE or an LE impersonator. While I don't support this theory, here is an incident of that that occurred near where the unsolved murders took place:

http://www.rickeystokesnews.com/article.php/beware-law-enforcement-impersonator-134733

"The Slocomb Police Department and Houston County Sheriffs Office respond to a 911 call in the North State Highway 103 vicinity within the police jurisdiction of Slocomb. The caller was identified as a white female, and she reported that a BLACK DODGE CHARGER with police lights across the front dashboard pulled her over at that location, after stopping, she identified a white male, approx 6'1,250 lbs, muscular build, clean shaven and bald, did approach her car. Upon approaching her car, the suspect reached in the vehicle and grabbed the female by her scarf and preceded to pull her from the car, in doing so, suspect struck driver with his fist causing injuries to driver, Driver was aware that her car was still on and she put the car in drive during the struggle and drove off and called 911 and preceded to the Slocomb Police Department."

Thank goodness this woman was quick thinking/ acting and escaped!

Thank goodness this woman was quick thinking/ acting and escaped!

I agree. I wonder why she left her car running after she stopped?
I probably would have turned off the engine.
Because of her escape, she may well be the key to solving this case after all these years.

I agree. I wonder why she left her car running after she stopped?
I probably would have turned off the engine.
Because of her escape, she may well be the key to solving this case after all these years.

Thank goodness, indeed!!! What great thinking. The guy may have a bum arm and a black dodge charger, today, be off somewhere for the weekend, away from family, or something that holds him down to the general area.

The theory of the police officer is one that has been talked about and there are many good points to it. The biggest problem with it being a police officer are the logistics of the case. Whoever killed J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett drove their car. So unless they stopped at the home of a police officer, the police officer would have to leave his vehicle wherever he kidnapped them.

One argument you can make in favor of it being a police officer are the directions the girls were given to get home. The directions seem very simple to get back to 123/231 S. Once on that road it does not seem like they would need much guidance in finding their way. So you could argue that once on 123/231 S. they did not stop again because they did not need to. Most likely they were stopped by someone else, whether it be a real police officer or someone impersonating one on 123/231 S.

The problem is you have the car being left on Herring Ave. Why would a killer leave his car or truck on 123/231 S., leave the car on Herring, and then have to walk through town all the way back to it. Since the most direct route would be James St. what would he pass along the way?

So you would have to hypothesize that if they were stopped by a police officer it was probably in the general area of where the car was found on Herring Ave. If it is a police officer or someone impersonating one, they took a very big risk wherever they left their car in order to drive J.B. Beasley's car.

I think there is a very important aspect of this case that does not get enough attention and that is that it was dark outside. Imagine a police officer or impersonator randomly pulling over cars. Would you not want to make sure the person you are pulling over is not some huge guy or a real police officer? This is all the more true for someone impersonating a police officer although you will find cases of individuals actually dumb enough to do this.

I tried the following experiment. Drive home at night and try to identify an individual driving in a car towards you with their headlights on. I could not do it with any certainty. So I would argue that if someone is stopped by a police officer looking to commit kidnapping that the person was probably seen earlier before they were followed. At some point they were outside their car and seen by whoever kidnapped them.

So the biggest clue to a random kidnapping involving a vehicle would be where the victim stopped before they were kidnapped, especially if it happens at night. That is what makes the case of J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett so unique. If their killer did not see them at the gas station the only other way to identify them would be to recognize their black car. It is either that or they did stop somewhere else on the way home and that location is probably the key to solving the case.

Or the guy just got lucky with who he stopped that night. Anything is possible.

If reports are indeed correct about blood drip patterns from the trunk indicating they were driven there in the trunk of the car after being shot, then whoever did it most likely didn't act alone, or they lived/worked nearby and fled on foot. This case haunts the hell out of me.

There is one aspect of the case of J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett that I thought about. I never could understand why they were killed.

If the Haunting Evidence scenario is correct or even if just the vehicle part of the case is correct, when you look at the case from the perspective of them living it makes you think.

Lets say the killer takes them to the wooded area where he assaults them. Then instead of killing them he leaves them in that secluded area, takes their vehicle and parks it on Herring and walks back to his vehicle. Unless J.B. and Tracie were very observant and remembered the license plate of the killer's vehicle before he drove their car, the only other way he would be caught would be through his physical description. Maybe there is something unique about his physical description? Since it was dark outside I think coming up with a good vehicle description would be difficult. Does Alabama require that license plates be lighted so the number can be clearly read?

The killer might have known them, but then why is the license out? Did he think J.B. Beasley lived in Ozark? Did he mistake their car for someone else's?

There is always the other possibility that the murderer has zero regard for human life no matter what the circumstance. About the only benefit of hindsight is asking what if. The downside is that people move, get different jobs, and drive different cars. That is why cold cases are so hard to solve.

There is one aspect of the case of J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett that I thought about. I never could understand why they were killed.

If the Haunting Evidence scenario is correct or even if just the vehicle part of the case is correct, when you look at the case from the perspective of them living it makes you think.

Lets say the killer takes them to the wooded area where he assaults them. Then instead of killing them he leaves them in that secluded area, takes their vehicle and parks it on Herring and walks back to his vehicle. Unless J.B. and Tracie were very observant and remembered the license plate of the killer's vehicle before he drove their car, the only other way he would be caught would be through his physical description. Maybe there is something unique about his physical description? Since it was dark outside I think coming up with a good vehicle description would be difficult. Does Alabama require that license plates be lighted so the number can be clearly read?

The killer might have known them, but then why is the license out? Did he think J.B. Beasley lived in Ozark? Did he mistake their car for someone else's?

There is always the other possibility that the murderer has zero regard for human life no matter what the circumstance. About the only benefit of hindsight is asking what if. The downside is that people move, get different jobs, and drive different cars. That is why cold cases are so hard to solve.

I never could understand why they were killed. None of us really know. There have been several theories put forth on here and other places pointing the finger at a variety of people. But I believe they were killed by someone either one or both of the girls knew and the motive was rejection and jealousy. I come to this conclusion after reading everything I could find on the case and believe me, it was a lot of reading and research.

Unless J.B. and Tracie were very observant and remembered the license plate of the killer's vehicle before he drove their car, the only other way he would be caught would be through his physical description. I think they were killed because he did something in the woods to at least one of them and the girls knew who he was.

The killer might have known them, but then why is the license out? Again, just my theory, but it was for one of two reasons: (1) after shooting both girls, the killer was looking for something in her purse and pulled her license out to get it out of the way so he could find what he was looking for, such as something that had either his name, address and/or his phone #. (2) An attempt to make it look like LE was involved.

There is always the other possibility that the murderer has zero regard for human life no matter what the circumstance. No matter who he was or what his motive was, he put a bullet in the head of two innocent teenagers. I think that pretty much said that he had no zero regard for human life.

I never could understand why they were killed. None of us really know. There have been several theories put forth on here and other places pointing the finger at a variety of people. But I believe they were killed by someone either one or both of the girls knew and the motive was rejection and jealousy. I come to this conclusion after reading everything I could find on the case and believe me, it was a lot of reading and research.

Unless J.B. and Tracie were very observant and remembered the license plate of the killer's vehicle before he drove their car, the only other way he would be caught would be through his physical description. I think they were killed because he did something in the woods to at least one of them and the girls knew who he was.

The killer might have known them, but then why is the license out? Again, just my theory, but it was for one of two reasons: (1) after shooting both girls, the killer was looking for something in her purse and pulled her license out to get it out of the way so he could find what he was looking for, such as something that had either his name, address and/or his phone #. (2) An attempt to make it look like LE was involved.

There is always the other possibility that the murderer has zero regard for human life no matter what the circumstance. No matter who he was or what his motive was, he put a bullet in the head of two innocent teenagers. I think that pretty much said that he had no zero regard for human life.

I saw a murder case on 48 hours the other day where a couple murdered a woman in college, dumped her body, left her car at her dorm, and then walked 6 miles back to their apartment. 6 miles is a long way. So there really is not a right or wrong answer as to where or who J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett's killer is or where they live. He might live close or he might live farther away.

I tend to think the reason they were killed was because they stumbled onto someone's property. The simple answer in this case, in my opinion, is the killer lives south of where he left the car and has a driveway or road that is either dirt or gravel. He is inexperienced because I do not think he would get away with his crimes for very long if he took the same approach as he did in this double homicide.

If he did know J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett or one of them, he got very lucky with his timing. To manage to come across them after 11:30pm after they have already made two phone calls letting others know they were lost and where they were and then getting directions from a witness who also confirmed they were lost, I certainly would not blame police for thinking they ran into a stranger. Since the witness at the gas station said she saw them pull out after her, they either had to be moving when they were stopped like on the Haunting Evidence episode or they stopped somewhere else on the way home. Until there is some new information in this case that sheds some light on where they went after they left that gas station in Ozark, this case will probably continue to have a lot of unanswered questions.

I saw a murder case on 48 hours the other day where a couple murdered a woman in college, dumped her body, left her car at her dorm, and then walked 6 miles back to their apartment. 6 miles is a long way. So there really is not a right or wrong answer as to where or who J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett's killer is or where they live. He might live close or he might live farther away.

I tend to think the reason they were killed was because they stumbled onto someone's property. The simple answer in this case, in my opinion, is the killer lives south of where he left the car and has a driveway or road that is either dirt or gravel. He is inexperienced because I do not think he would get away with his crimes for very long if he took the same approach as he did in this double homicide.

If he did know J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett or one of them, he got very lucky with his timing. To manage to come across them after 11:30pm after they have already made two phone calls letting others know they were lost and where they were and then getting directions from a witness who also confirmed they were lost, I certainly would not blame police for thinking they ran into a stranger. Since the witness at the gas station said she saw them pull out after her, they either had to be moving when they were stopped like on the Haunting Evidence episode or they stopped somewhere else on the way home. Until there is some new information in this case that sheds some light on where they went after they left that gas station in Ozark, this case will probably continue to have a lot of unanswered questions.
I'm trying to understand your second paragraph. Do you think they drove onto someone's property where they witnessed something that led to their murder? Why is the simple answer that the killer lives south of where he left the car? Why would the road or driveway be dirt or gravel? We don't know if this was his first time committing murder and he has gotten away with this for a long time. I still think the " unplanned" aspects lack of motive & clues make this a sad crime of opportunity for someone that unfortunately happened to be lurking on this particular night. Someone familiar, but not local. In past chats on other sites people have mentioned Ft. Rucker. How far is it from Ozark?

Thinking about the victims shoes & lower pants being muddy & wet. Maybe he did take them somewhere secluded with a pond or creek nearby & planned to kill them in the water but heard someone or something that caused him to change plans. Taking them back to the car and moving from the original crime scene to give him time to leave the area. I can see him living south of where the car was found in this scenario & also maybe leaving the car closer to where he first encountered the girls. If Tracie or JB did know this person, I think that would have been exposed by now.

I'm trying to understand your second paragraph. Do you think they drove onto someone's property where they witnessed something that led to their murder? Why is the simple answer that the killer lives south of where he left the car? Why would the road or driveway be dirt or gravel? We don't know if this was his first time committing murder and he has gotten away with this for a long time. I still think the " unplanned" aspects lack of motive & clues make this a sad crime of opportunity for someone that unfortunately happened to be lurking on this particular night. Someone familiar, but not local. In past chats on other sites people have mentioned Ft. Rucker. How far is it from Ozark?

I did not mean for anything I wrote to sound as if I am certain about it. It is an educated guess and my opinion. The military post you bring up is also a good idea. I tended to eliminate police officers and military because I would think that after 16 years those angles would have been looked at closely. That does not mean that it cannot be a police officer or military person, just that I think it is less likely.

In my opinion, this killer took a very haphazard approach towards this double homicide. I really think this type of killer today would be apprehended in many cases. Unfortunately with Johnny Barentine and the case looking as if it was solved inadvertently caused investigators to lose precious time at the beginning.

This is my theory. This is only my opinion. I think the reason J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett ended up in Ozark, AL was because J.B. followed the road signs literally from where they made their first phone call in Headland. The girls were going west thinking they were going north. Because the town part of Ozark seems rather locked in, it seems to me that for whatever reason they never made it to Route 123/to 231 S. At that point the only way to make it through town is to go south. If they had turned around they would have been back on Broad St. (AL 27). I have never driven this so it is very difficult for me to hypothesize where they drove in Ozark once they were lost again. But following it on Google earth it is hard for me to understand how they could not even make it to 123 that takes you to 231 S in the first place.

In terms of the killer I think there came a point where J.B. and Tracy realized they were lost and decided to stop. Since it would not be smart to stop on the roadway I think they pulled into a driveway to talk about what to do. While in the driveway I think that either the killer saw them through his window or heard his dog barking and grabbed his gun. This is what I mean by the simple answer. I am guessing based on being lost and there probably not being many people to ask for directions at 11:30pm at night. Without seeing pictures of the car I remember when I drove through a gravel driveway the gravel tends to leave a white stain mixed with the mud water on the tires.

I think asking simple questions are the best way to solve crimes because in my opinion most criminals do not think complicated.

@ Somequestions...

My theory (and it is just my opinion based on everything I have read) is similar to yours. I don't believe a LE officer was involved or they were forced off the road or they were carjacked. I also want to state that I do not believe they were up to anything devious or trying to trick their parents in any way as some have suggested. I believe that very soon after they left the Big/Little Store, they abandoned the idea of going to the Field Party since it was late and they still didn't know the actual location it was being held. I think they decided to stop briefly at someone's house for an unknown reason-maybe something as innocent as using the bathroom before the 20 or so minute drive back to Dothan. At least one of the girls knew some people in Ozark. When they went to the home, they quickly found themselves in a situation they couldn't get out of. They were either cleverly tricked or forced at gunpoint to an unknown location where they were eventually killed. At some point, they may have made a run for it (on foot) in a desperate attempt to get away, probably running thru a stream or creek in the process. That would explain their pants being wet from the knee down and the mud on their shoes. The briers in their clothes indicates they were in some type woods or heavy brush. After whatever sexually was done to them, they were ordered into the trunk of the car, murdered and driven back to near where the killer lived or to where his car was parked.

Again...MOO

The one clue to the case that I think is very important has to do with light. This crime happened when it was dark outside.

In my opinion, I think J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett's car turned left early at Southeastern Ave. and they never made it to 123/to 231 S. They turned early because that is where the sign was for the road. That is my guess.

So when searching for where they stopped I think you have to look for a place that is well lit. There is always the possibility the car's headlights were used to illuminate the scene, but with the briars and wet pants, the car would have to be parked near water. There is the possibility they ran, but not many people can run faster than a bullet. Without knowing the victims it is difficult to guess as to how they would think and respond to the situation they were in. Were they mellow and obedient or overt and demanding with their kidnapper?

Did they go straight home or stop somewhere? It is a possibility, but with J.B. still having to drop Tracie off, it probably was not for long.

So areas like the baseball fields close to where the car was parked, were the lights on there after 11:30 pm? I think when looking for the place where the girls were assaulted and murdered, there would have to be lights on somewhere.

All these ideas have one big problem. I am basing my ideas about road signs and light bulbs on Ozark, AL today and not 1999. If I were investigating this case I would search places that were well lit at that time of night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GonzoToxic