AL AL - J.B. Beasley, 17, & Tracie Hawlett, 17, Ozark, 31 July 1999 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep in mind the mother sued the dance teacher as well I think I'll have to double check.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If this was a targeted killing, you really have to look at the possibility that the girls(or one of them) were lured to a specific location. We have evidence of this because they were talking specifically of meeting "some boys" "somewhere". Also, we have those hand drawn maps. Just something to think about.

Keep in mind the mother sued the dance teacher as well I think I'll have to double check.

Also keep in mind that apparently the mother and the witness at the BL store were friends from back in the day. Just another something to think about.
ETA - just want to add that I am merely pointing out coincidences.

Just to switch off subject for a moment (as we always seem to do). Has anyone ever seen a picture of JB's keys? Were there several or just a few? Were all keys identified? Could the keys have been taken to possibly unlock something holding information? Also, did Tracie drive? Where were/are her keys if she did?
DNA, did the dance instructor have a husband or boyfriend living with her? I bet a murder in Ozark would not warrant obtaining a DNA profile from a live in boyfriend or husband in Dothan. Just a thought.
I have seen plenty of people post about not hiding the vehicle in water. Can anyone suggest a large body of water a vehicle would not be found in (close by to Ozark) that offers easy access and no chance of detection on approach?
Too many coincendences have to be dismissed for someone not to consider a conspiracy of some sort. 16 years after the murder, key evidence missing, no public knowledge of tests that were sent off 16 years ago, new convenient "facts" (license not on dash) coming to light, no definitive answer on if they were shot at location or not, (no slugs found in car but no leakage coming from trunk as car sat for several hours in front of police), break in at one of the girl's house around time of murder, other witnesses to police crimes in neighboring town "missing", etc.. Something isn't right.

IDK who they took DNA from, but Chief Spivey made it sound like it was a lot of guys.

I believe in the first thread there is a picture of a keychain similar to JB's, but with different words spelled out by the beads.
There is a lake in Ozark, as well as the nearby Choctawhatchee River in Newton.

Traditional DNA analysis treats DNA as a fingerprint for identity matching. The information goes into a database and if there is no hit, law enforcement is without a lead or a suspect. Instead, Snapshot treats DNA as a blueprint of an individual, deciphering the genetic content of the DNA to produce a composite image. According to Ellen McRae Greytak, PhD, Director of Parabon's Director of Bioinformatics, "All human DNA encodes the genetic information that largely determines a person's physical appearance. A copy of this genetic code or a 'DNA blueprint' exists in every cell of the body, which makes DNA a potentially invaluable source of investigative information." I was reading about this on another thread . It could put the DNA debate to bed or give a suspect composite.

I believe in the first thread there is a picture of a keychain similar to JB's, but with different words spelled out by the beads.
There is a lake in Ozark, as well as the nearby Choctawhatchee River in Newton.

The Choctawhatchee would not hide a vehicle and the "lake" close to Ozark doesn't offer the access points that would provide anonymity. (Dale County lake)

I was suggesting a picture of her actual keys. Maybe there was a key on her key chain to that unlocked something.

Marking my spot :)

I have spent days and days reading these threads and am so caught up with it all.

Too much information for me to theorize at this point. I think I'll sleep on it and come back.

Marking my spot :)

I have spent days and days reading these threads and am so caught up with it all.

Too much information for me to theorize at this point. I think I'll sleep on it and come back.
Welcome aboard! It's nice to have fresh people it keeps some of us from feeling hopeless at times lol

If this was a targeted killing, you really have to look at the possibility that the girls(or one of them) were lured to a specific location. We have evidence of this because they were talking specifically of meeting "some boys" "somewhere". Also, we have those hand drawn maps. Just something to think about.

Yeah, I've been noodling around this, and the real sticking point in this idea is the phone call. It doesn't totally contradict the theory that they got lured there, but I think it does reduce it's likelihood somewhat.

So if they were lured there, here are the options as I see them:

1) They made contact with whoever they were seeing before the phone call. They left there feeling fine, stopped to call without visibly being followed, left the BL and then were intercepted by whoever lured them out there. Possible, by why would you let them leave, only to hope to catch up with them later, especially since it's possible they weren't 100% sure what directions they should be taking themselves? Why wouldn't you take care of business before they left, or intercept them immediately upon leaving the meeting site. Why give up a situation you are 100% sure of, to try to pick them up and do them in later? Letting them leave hoping to be able to catch them later on in their journey seems reckless.

2) They made contact with whoever had lured them AFTER the call. This doesn't seem likely to me, since they said they were on their way home, but it's not impossible. It's possible that they made the call knowing Tracie's mom would be satisfied to hear from her daughter and fall asleep, buying them a little more time. That still seems like a risky gambit for a teenager...she's already going to be late and it doesn't sound like it's a huge deal...why tell your mother you're going to be home sooner than you are? That's just a recipe for trouble...why not just say you have to stop for gas, or something to be somewhat accurate...if you care enough to make the phone call, I just don't buy her telling her mom she's on her way home when she really plans to go to a party or hook up with some boys.

3) They never connected with them at all. They headed out that way to potentially meet someone, or look for a party, or whatever, and then once they got there couldn't find it, changed their mind or whatever. In this scenario, if the murderer lured them, he somehow knew where the could intercept them, or by dumb luck ran across them soon after they left the BL.

None of those scenarios really ring true for me. I don't have a problem believing they were out in Ozark for some reason...it could have been firm plans, or it could have been "remember those guys we met? They said they'd be out partying in Ozark tonight, want to see if we can find them?" Being a teenager before the ubiquity of cell phones and texting, this kind of thing was common, sometimes you found the party/people, sometimes you didn't, and it wasn't a big deal.

But if the premise was that the killer lured them out there specifically....the call at the BL is a problem to me...it really doesn't fit the killer's plans that they were allowed to make that call.

Again, that doesn't mean that it didn't happen...perhaps one reason this has been so unsolvable is that maybe one aspect is totally inexplicable...maybe they changed their mind on a whim after calling...maybe the killer was out driving when they didn't meet up and just crossed their paths by dumb luck...

But if you're counting on everything being fairly logical and rational...I just can't synthesize the stop at the BL and the call with a planned luring of the girls to their own execution.

I still find it a bit more logical that it was a crime of opportunity.

But if they weren't random targets, I feel like it would be more likely that they were followed to Ozark by the killer than that they were lured to Ozark by the killer. Which raises another question...what if they were targeted (for any of the possible motives), and the killer spent the evening following them? And then decided after the stop at BL that they were likely on their way home and decided to strike. I've seen various motives suggested, and some of those might very well lend themselves to the killer wanting to know who else the girls were seeing that night before striking.

So question for those who know the area...how possible would it be to follow the girls undetected for a couple hours in that area at night? Considering these are teenage girls that wouldn't be "looking for a tail", would they be able to? Of course the big question would be how someone following them would stay out of site while they stopped at the BL.

The Choctawhatchee would not hide a vehicle and the "lake" close to Ozark doesn't offer the access points that would provide anonymity. (Dale County lake)

I was suggesting a picture of her actual keys. Maybe there was a key on her key chain to that unlocked something.

I don't know anything about the lake, however, depending on the level of the Choctawhatchee, it could've temporarily hidden a vehicle, but it would've eventually been found.

Though I think they were more or less headed home after Tracie's call, I can easily see J.B. suddenly deciding to stop and talk to someone she knew "just for a minute". So, while maybe Tracie " would only stop for blue lights", she wasn't driving. They weren't lost or scared, as long as they got home in a reasonable amount of time to go from Ozark to Dothan, then I doubt they would have been in trouble. They had to have stopped for anyone to get control of them. So, what would make J.B. stop?

Maybe she would have stopped if she saw the car of someone she knew at that McDonald's, for example. I know no one has ever mentioned seeing them there, but I don't know what else is around. Could there be anyone in Ozark she especially would want to say hello to?

Jacqui says the woman at B/L gave the wrong directions. The woman said six lights instead of five (or something like that). So, if someone followed that, where would they be? I guess it could be impossible to even do that depending on whether you can keep going straight there.

How far away is this lake?

A lot of murderers don't hide bodies all that thoroughly and they were in the trunk. Leaving them in their car beside the road deprives the police of knowing where the crime was committed. All the murderer has to do is 1. Make sure no one sees him driving it and 2. Get away from it ASAP.

Though I think they were more or less headed home after Tracie's call, I can easily see J.B. suddenly deciding to stop and talk to someone she knew "just for a minute". So, while maybe Tracie " would only stop for blue lights", she wasn't driving. They weren't lost or scared, as long as they got home in a reasonable amount of time to go from Ozark to Dothan, then I doubt they would have been in trouble. They had to have stopped for anyone to get control of them. So, what would make J.B. stop?

Maybe she would have stopped if she saw the car of someone she knew at that McDonald's, for example. I know no one has ever mentioned seeing them there, but I don't know what else is around. Could there be anyone in Ozark she especially would want to say hello to?

Jacqui says the woman at B/L gave the wrong directions. The woman said six lights instead of five (or something like that). So, if someone followed that, where would they be? I guess it could be impossible to even do that depending on whether you can keep going straight there.

I agree with all of those possibilities, 100%. But are any of those possibilities consistent with being "lured" to Ozark by the killer? Would the killer have know where in Ozark they would be passing, and what time? That JB would decide to stop and say hi to a friend? That they would get incorrect directions?

All those things seem much more likely to point to either a random attack, or if they knew their killers, a crime of opportunity, right?

I'm just trying to wrap my head around the concept many have suggested that they were in Ozark because they were lured there by their killer to be executed. Given the phone call, I'm not seeing a very plausible scenario laid out for that being the case.

It seems like people are trying hard to answer two unknowns (the killer, why they drove to Ozark) in one convenient bow, and it tracks on the surface, but given the call I don't think it fully makes sense.

What about a very simple explaination. They took a wrong turn when they were in Headland. It put them on 27 and took them to Ozark. They accidentally ended up there. No slipping around to meet some guys, just a simple wrong turn.the phone call and asking directions at the Big/Little cooberrates this. Sometimes the simplest theory is the correct one.

Where would they end up if they followed directions whether 5 lights or 6? A great question.

At 5 lights they would have ended up near College Ave.

At 6 lights the next street Enterprise I think.

The 7th light would have been 231, the road back to Dothan. Now we have to remember this was 1999 so maybe a stoplight has been installed at one of these intersections during that time, but whether 5 or 6 they would have turned wrong.

What is interesting is that at the 6th light there is a Cannon gas station there with a payphone. But 1999 is a lot different from 2016 and I would imagine this gas station and payphone would already have been checked out in the past 17 years, if it was even there at all in 1999.

Where would they end up if they followed directions whether 5 lights or 6? A great question.

What is interesting is that at the 6th light there is a Cannon gas station there with a payphone. But 1999 is a lot different from 2016 and I would imagine this gas station and payphone would already have been checked out in the past 17 years, if it was even there at all in 1999.

Great thinking! But I don't put a lot of faith in the OPD when it comes to this case.

Truly believe they were lost.. Been to many field parties and also have gotten lost in the back roads of alabama trying to locating.

Cannot seem to find the oost ... Recall there was mention of 2 males with no shirts on jb & tracie ran into that night. Unsure if this was actually confurmed or not

What about a very simple explaination. They took a wrong turn when they were in Headland. It put them on 27 and took them to Ozark. They accidentally ended up there. No slipping around to meet some guys, just a simple wrong turn.the phone call and asking directions at the Big/Little cooberrates this. Sometimes the simplest theory is the correct one.

Absolutely agree. The simplest theory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member