AL AL - J.B. Beasley, 17, & Tracie Hawlett, 17, Ozark, 31 July 1999 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
After reviewing the rest of the articles, the only thing that stood out to me is the difference in the way the girls' families perceive the investigation. I think that Tracie's family have been skeptical about OPD's effort to solve the murders. JB's mother had this to say, "We have used psychics...they have not left any stone unturned...to tell you the truth. They aren’t like ‘oh we aren’t going to do that’...they do it." Interesting.

Man, I wish @DimeDetective Detective would come back

I am new to the site, so please bear with me. I was living in Ewell (5 miles east of Ozark) at the time the girls were murdered. The attached PDF came from information on a link called HenryCountyReport. I can't vouch for the accuracy. The information may already be common knowledge here, and I just overlooked it. Anyway, at that time my daughter was married to an Ozark policeman who is now a Sargent with OPD. The PDF was constructed 3 years ago, and the website has since taken this information down, probably because of the defamation lawsuit brought against the site administrator by Ozark Police.
If I am off base posting this, forgive me, and offer any constructive guidance. I would love to see this crime solved for several personal reasons. Thanks, All

Attachments

• JB-Beasley-Murder (1).pdf
    427.8 KB · Views: 30
I am new to the site, so please bear with me. I was living in Ewell (5 miles east of Ozark) at the time the girls were murdered. The attached PDF came from information on a link called HenryCountyReport. I can't vouch for the accuracy. The information may already be common knowledge here, and I just overlooked it. Anyway, at that time my daughter was married to an Ozark policeman who is now a Sargent with OPD. The PDF was constructed 3 years ago, and the website has since taken this information down, probably because of the defamation lawsuit brought against the site administrator by Ozark Police.
If I am off base posting this, forgive me, and offer any constructive guidance. I would love to see this crime solved for several personal reasons. Thanks, All

Welcome to Websleuths and thank you for joining this thread. We, too would love to see this crime solved and the killer or killers brought to justice.

Yes, Most of us are famliar with the HCR and its contents concerning the murders of J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett. It has been the subject of much debate here. I can only speak for myself, but the idea of two 17 year-old girls having extensive knowledge of a major organized drug ring involving who the article claims to be be high ranking government officials, seem to be a bit far-fetched for me. It also claims that the girls had in their possession tapes that would identify these officials and also identify certain officers of the Ozark PD that were involved in not only a major drug running scheme, but who also murdered Beasley & Hawlett. I find it all a bit incredible to be true. I really don't believe a major illegal drug cartel would involve two 17 year old girls or expose them to anything they could tape or testify to. It defies logic. While the killer or killers have not been identified, most people here doubt that members of the Ozark PD were involved in the murders or were involved in a vast cover-up. Twelve different law enforcement agencies on the local, state and federal level had part in and/or continue to have part in the investigation. I can't help but believe that any conspiracy to obstruct justice by covering up a double homicide and a major drug dstribution plan would have been uncovered a long time ago.

Welcome to Websleuths and thank you for joining this thread. We, too would love to see this crime solved and the killer or killers brought to justice.

Yes, Most of us are famliar with the HCR and its contents concerning the murders of J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett. It has been the subject of much debate here. I can only speak for myself, but the idea of two 17 year-old girls having extensive knowledge of a major organized drug ring involving who the article claims to be be high ranking government officials, seem to be a bit far-fetched for me. It also claims that the girls had in their possession tapes that would identify these officials and also identify certain officers of the Ozark PD that were involved in not only a major drug running scheme, but who also murdered Beasley & Hawlett. I find it all a bit incredible to be true. I really don't believe a major illegal drug cartel would involve two 17 year old girls or expose them to anything they could tape or testify to. It defies logic. While the killer or killers have not been identified, most people here doubt that members of the Ozark PD were involved in the murders or were involved in a vast cover-up. Twelve different law enforcement agencies on the local, state and federal level had part in and/or continue to have part in the investigation. I can't help but believe that any conspiracy to obstruct justice by covering up a double homicide and a major drug dstribution plan would have been uncovered a long time ago.
I would think the same way you do but, why is it that the OPD won't work with CJ or submit the DNA that they have to any outside source? It seems that they aren't doing EVERYTHING they can to solve this. I myself brought up the case to an individual with LE and he acted like he didn't want to discuss anything to do with it. (not even, do you know anything.........nothing?) I'm no genius or expert but, If I was an officer or anyone claiming to wanting to see it solved, I'd at least ask if I knew anything. Right?? All I'm saying is.......IF OPD doesn't want people thinking things like that then they need to do a little more than what they're doing now. We know that JB&T was at the big little and spoke to Ms Marilyn. She said that she saw them pull out and head towards the direction they should've been going................then they're dead. After this many years, I think it's time to think outside the box and try something different. They've proved it's not gonna get solved their way so let someone with EXPERIENCE in cold cases try and release more info. Going about it the way they have is doing NOTHING. From what we know, they have DNA (which doesn't have to be connected to the murder) and a palm print from the trunk .............neither has been tied to anyone. Some people have said forget the story that R

I'm not saying there is any major drug cartel or drug distribution among LE but If some of the things are true like...........OPD won't work with CJ and will not try outside sources for DNA then I can't believe that theyre too interested in solving these murders. I myself, asked someone in LE about the case and they didn't even bat an eye. Now if I was anyone in LE and someone asked me about a case that has went almost 20 yrs without being solved, I'd at least ask.......have you heard something or know anything. If the OPD doesn't want people thinking things like LE was involved or it was some kind of cover-up then they need to do a little more than what they're doing. All we know is that Ms Merritt (think that's right) spoke to JB and watched them pull out of the big little.........then they're dead. Right?? Some people say "forget about it" when it comes to RC's story. My question is........if none of it's true then why did she tell it?? Some people say that the HCR isn't true and neither may be, BUT has both been investigated thoroughly?? If it has then great..........if it hasn't......why? After almost 20 yrs........NOTHING is too far fetched.

I would think the same way you do but, why is it that the OPD won't work with CJ or submit the DNA that they have to any outside source? It seems that they aren't doing EVERYTHING they can to solve this. I myself brought up the case to an individual with LE and he acted like he didn't want to discuss anything to do with it. (not even, do you know anything.........nothing?) I'm no genius or expert but, If I was an officer or anyone claiming to wanting to see it solved, I'd at least ask if I knew anything. Right?? All I'm saying is.......IF OPD doesn't want people thinking things like that then they need to do a little more than what they're doing now. We know that JB&T was at the big little and spoke to Ms Marilyn. She said that she saw them pull out and head towards the direction they should've been going................then they're dead. After this many years, I think it's time to think outside the box and try something different. They've proved it's not gonna get solved their way so let someone with EXPERIENCE in cold cases try and release more info. Going about it the way they have is doing NOTHING. From what we know, they have DNA (which doesn't have to be connected to the murder) and a palm print from the trunk .............neither has been tied to anyone. Some people have said forget the story that R

I'm not saying there is any major drug cartel or drug distribution among LE but If some of the things are true like...........OPD won't work with CJ and will not try outside sources for DNA then I can't believe that theyre too interested in solving these murders. I myself, asked someone in LE about the case and they didn't even bat an eye. Now if I was anyone in LE and someone asked me about a case that has went almost 20 yrs without being solved, I'd at least ask.......have you heard something or know anything. If the OPD doesn't want people thinking things like LE was involved or it was some kind of cover-up then they need to do a little more than what they're doing. All we know is that Ms Merritt (think that's right) spoke to JB and watched them pull out of the big little.........then they're dead. Right?? Some people say "forget about it" when it comes to RC's story. My question is........if none of it's true then why did she tell it?? Some people say that the HCR isn't true and neither may be, BUT has both been investigated thoroughly?? If it has then great..........if it hasn't......why? After almost 20 yrs........NOTHING is too far fetched.

Ozark PD isn’t the only agency working the case. The AL Attorney General’s Cold Case Investigator and the FBI are all involved in the investigation. If there was a major cover up, wouldn’t either of those two found out and made it public?

You mentioned RC’s story. Who is RC and what is his/her story?

Who has tested the DNA? It was my understanding the State Lab tested it and it has been tested several times. My personal opinion is it isn’t related to the murders.

I still cannot understand why anyone thinks that J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett were involved in some type of situation where they were followed.

I do not think J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett had a plan about where they were going to go that night. Whether they got lost on the way to the party near Haleburg when they stopped at the gas station, a BP in Headland(often confused with the second gas station they stopped at, the Big Little in Ozark, AL), they do not seem to know where or what they are going to do next. So the only way anyone could murder them would be to follow their car around all night and stop and wait at the same places they stopped at. That seems kind of ridiculous doesn't it?

I think it is more likely that they either stopped for someone in authority(or who they thought was authority) or they stopped somewhere that night and ended up meeting their murderer. And this only occurred after they left the Big Little gas station in Ozark, AL.

With the film release coming very soon- I will have to leave my personal theory out of this post, thank you for understanding. I can however clear up the timeline and give you a few of my thoughts.

As for their timeline- yes you are correct, they made the call at 11:38 with the plan to meet their 2 guy friends at the shell station in Midland City. Tracie asked her Mom permission to stop, and her Mom agreed it would be ok, just for a few minutes.
But- Tracie also knew her Mom would go to sleep as soon as she hung up the phone- that she would get home not too late but she wouldn’t worry too much because her parents would be asleep. They were trying to reach the boys by midnight, and wanted to get their quickly- thus why they asked Ms Merritt the “quickest way to 231”.
IMO- The girls wouldn’t have stopped at a rest stop, the restroom at the big little store was outside and should have been open at the time they were there, it doesn’t make sense that they would leave without using the bathrooms at the store so they could hurry to Midland City to meet friends- to then stop at a rest stop on the way which is only a 15 mi/ 20 min drive. Also, J.B. was a cautious and street smart girl, I doubt she would feel comfortable stopping a a rest stop in the middle of nowhere at midnight.

The boys waited a while after midnight but left when the girls didn’t show up. They should have made it from the big little to Midland Ciry in 20 mins, logic suggests that they were followed and stopped somehow- as soon as they left the store. How and by who is the major question.

As far as it being random or planned- to me, logically thinking- they left the house for less than 2 hours and were executed. I don’t see how they could have come in contact with so much trouble between 11:38 and midnight that would get them randomly murdered. Especially when they had so much interaction with so many teenagers that night- and no one mentioned they were in fear of their life. Also where their bodies were found was just around the corner from the store- it was arguably the closest dump site, quiet and dark with no traffic.

@CoolJ I have thought of having a screening for you all -for a long time, just couldn’t come up with a way to give you access. I do appreciate all of you and have read everything you all have ever written on this page. I know the families both appreciate your diligence to this case.

I will let you know a release date very soon.

I am very new, so it is with hesitation that I speak. The Big Little store has changed franchises several times over the years so policies probably have changed somewhat too. I think it was an Inland franchise at that time. I used to fill up there regularly on my way home from work, and I recall having to get the restroom key on a wooden stick from the cashier. So I think that the restrooms would be locked after closing. Again, the policy may have changed over time, but I don't ever remember its having unlimited access to restrooms.
If they made a right turn from Big Little, they would be westbound on Andrews Ave and would intersect 123 within half a mile. A left turn on 123 would take them south to intersect 231. Upon intersecting 231 they would be southeast bound on 231/123. Within half a mile 123 would separate to the right south toward Newton. I read that a barn was investigated on 123 south of Ozark near the city limit. If the girls departed 231 and took 123 south (whether to shake someone following them, or for whatever reason), they would not have traveled 231 much more than half a mile. But if they were killed at the barn, I can think of no logic that would have the killer(s) taking the girls and their car back north on 123 to the intersection of 123 and Adams St at the Dale County jail, and past Dale Medical via James St to Herring Ave. It just seems to add too many layers of risk. I keep wondering if the barn investigation was a red herring to distract from Herring Ave. I realize that this may be influenced by my skepticism of OPD.

TedMac, I believe CuriousD is referring to Rena Crumb and you have more information on her as a long time follower of this case.

Good question, what did she have to gain? She and someone else passed her off as an Ozark police officer. It turns out she was never a sworn officer anywhere in the state of AL. Perhaps it was her 15 minutes of fame?

TedMac, I believe CuriousD is referring to Rena Crumb and you have more information on her as a long time follower of this case.

Thank you for the clarification. Yes, I am familiar with Crumb’s story. I just wasn’t sure that is who CuriousD was referring to. There is another person with the initials RC that has been mentioned with possible ties to the case and that “RC” name has re-emerged. I had never read that person’s theory and that was why I was asking.

I am new to the site, so please bear with me. I was living in the Ozark area at the time the girls were murdered. The attached PDF came from information on a link called HenryCountyReport. I can't vouch for the accuracy. The information may already be common knowledge here, and I just overlooked it. The PDF was constructed 3 years ago, and the website has since taken this information down, probably because of the defamation lawsuit brought against the site administrator by Ozark Police.
I still cannot understand why anyone thinks that J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett were involved in some type of situation where they were followed.

I do not think J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett had a plan about where they were going to go that night. Whether they got lost on the way to the party near Haleburg when they stopped at the gas station, a BP in Headland(often confused with the second gas station they stopped at, the Big Little in Ozark, AL), they do not seem to know where or what they are going to do next. So the only way anyone could murder them would be to follow their car around all night and stop and wait at the same places they stopped at. That seems kind of ridiculous doesn't it?

I think it is more likely that they either stopped for someone in authority(or who they thought was authority) or they stopped somewhere that night and ended up meeting their murderer. And this only occurred after they left the Big Little gas station in Ozark, AL.
This has likely been said repeatedly, but here goes. Upon departing the Big Little, westbound on East Broad St., at the intersection with 123, the girls could have gone straight ahead on Andrews Ave. till it intersected 231. Or, if they followed the signs (see attached photo), they would have turned left on South Union (123) intending to follow it to 231. This is the more likely scenario. As 123 leaves the downtown business district, passing College St., the road broadens to four lane and slopes steeply down to a creek, then fairly steeply up the other side, leveling out after it passes the Dale County jail. The downhill slope is deceptively good at causing cars to drift above the 25 MPH speed limit. Add to that, darkness, late hour, and a sense of youthful urgency to progress toward points south, and you have the makings of a car sufficiently above the limit to get stopped.
OPD frequently used the parking area between Logan's Cleaners and Sanders Electrical to set up. They had a command view of traffic in both directions while having concealment till a car's speed had already been recorded. If the girls were in this situation and saw the blue/red lights come on, the nearest, safest, well lighted place to stop would be the Dale County jail parking lot (a mere 1/2 mile from Herring Ave.).
From this point, this scenario assumes that we have a bad cop and that, owing to artificial light, Ms. Merritt was mistaken about how clean the car was.
The bad cop, either persuasively or authoritatively has the girls follow him, either supposedly to police headquarters (which would be believable with the current location being the jail), or to a location less public. Herring Ave. is undeveloped, uninhabited, and unlighted with dense vegetation on both sides all the way down past the creek, which is about 600 feet from the James St intersection. There are plenty of briers, mud, and water there. The car was found parked about 150 feet from the intersection.
OPD at that time was on a more limited budget, as it was prior to the influx of federal funds following 9/11. They had wisely configured an older dark navy blue pickup truck with grille lights and siren. In the dark or in artificial light, it could pass for being black. This unmarked vehicle was ideal for its purpose. Unless you noticed the municipal license, or the blue grille lights came on, you would never know it was a cop. Once shots were fired and trunk was closed, Bad Cop could have been hurriedly leaving the scene as curious Johnny B arrived at the James St intersection, lending some believability to his assertion of a black truck. I think his claim of Dothan license is not credible. Licenses are identifiable by county based on population. Dale County is 26, and Houston County is 38. So the first two digits of the tag number identifies the county. It is very unlikely that one could identify the difference between 26 and 38, given the environment and circumstances.
When a crime is committed, I think the primary objective of LE is to get an iron-clad conviction that will not be overturned. If they get the guilty party convicted, that is even better. When a cop does bad, it brings heat, dishonor, and scrutiny down on the entire department. I think it is possible that the killer could have acted alone. I think that LE will look much harder outside their own ranks and may accept the story of their own more readily than they would that of anyone outside the blue shield.
I seriously doubt that the officers on traffic duty that night have been DNA tested for a possible match. It could either yield a break, or it could go a long way toward dispelling the suspicions of folks like me.

Attachments

• Ozark North Court Square.JPG
    Ozark North Court Square.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
This has likely been said repeatedly, but here goes. Upon departing the Big Little, westbound on East Broad St., at the intersection with 123, the girls could have gone straight ahead on Andrews Ave. till it intersected 231. Or, if they followed the signs (see attached photo), they would have turned left on South Union (123) intending to follow it to 231. This is the more likely scenario. As 123 leaves the downtown business district, passing College St., the road broadens to four lane and slopes steeply down to a creek, then fairly steeply up the other side, leveling out after it passes the Dale County jail. The downhill slope is deceptively good at causing cars to drift above the 25 MPH speed limit. Add to that, darkness, late hour, and a sense of youthful urgency to progress toward points south, and you have the makings of a car sufficiently above the limit to get stopped.
OPD frequently used the parking area between Logan's Cleaners and Sanders Electrical to set up. They had a command view of traffic in both directions while having concealment till a car's speed had already been recorded. If the girls were in this situation and saw the blue/red lights come on, the nearest, safest, well lighted place to stop would be the Dale County jail parking lot (a mere 1/2 mile from Herring Ave.).
From this point, this scenario assumes that we have a bad cop and that, owing to artificial light, Ms. Merritt was mistaken about how clean the car was.
The bad cop, either persuasively or authoritatively has the girls follow him, either supposedly to police headquarters (which would be believable with the current location being the jail), or to a location less public. Herring Ave. is undeveloped, uninhabited, and unlighted with dense vegetation on both sides all the way down past the creek, which is about 600 feet from the James St intersection. There are plenty of briers, mud, and water there. The car was found parked about 150 feet from the intersection.
OPD at that time was on a more limited budget, as it was prior to the influx of federal funds following 9/11. They had wisely configured an older dark navy blue pickup truck with grille lights. In the dark or in artificial light, it could pass for being black. This unmarked vehicle was ideal for its purpose. Unless you noticed the municipal license, or the blue grille lights came on, you would never know it was a cop. Once shots were fired and trunk was closed, Bad Cop could have been hurriedly leaving the scene as curious Johnny B arrived at the James St intersection, lending some believability to his assertion of a black truck. I think his claim of Dothan license is not credible. Licenses are identifiable by county based on population. Dale County is 26, and Houston County is 38. So the first two digits of the tag number identifies the county. It is very unlikely that one could identify the difference between 26 and 38, given the environment and circumstances.
When a crime is committed, I think the primary objective of LE is to get an iron-clad conviction that will not be overturned. If they get the guilty party convicted, that is even better. When a cop does bad, it brings heat, dishonor, and scrutiny down on the entire department. I think it is possible that the killer could have acted alone. I think that LE will look much harder outside their own ranks and may accept the story of their own more readily than they would that of anyone outside the blue shield.
I seriously doubt that the officers on traffic duty that night have been DNA tested for a possible match. It could either yield a break, or it could go a long way toward dispelling the suspicions of folks like me.

What would have been the “bad cop’s” motivation to kill these two girls?

I didn't want to get specific, but the DNA evidence could partially explain the motive. The presence of a second witness (Tracie) could have moved the situation from plausible deniability to two witnesses against him, which could have been an unacceptable risk to his career and personal life.

I didn't want to get specific, but the DNA evidence could partially explain the motive. The presence of a second witness (Tracie) could have moved the situation from plausible deniability to two witnesses against him, which could have been an unacceptable risk to his career and personal life.

So you are suggesting that he did something to one or both of the girls and afterwards killed them? Since he knew all along it was two girls there, the murders would have been premeditated as he knew Tracie witnessed everything or are you saying he thought of killing them after the fact?

Ozark PD isn’t the only agency working the case. The AL Attorney General’s Cold Case Investigator and the FBI are all involved in the investigation. If there was a major cover up, wouldn’t either of those two found out and made it public?

Who has tested the DNA? It was my understanding the State Lab tested it and it has been tested several times. My personal opinion is it isn’t related to the murders.
I'm not saying that there IS or WAS a cover up. I just don't think that because multiple agencies are working the case, that it couldn't go this long without being uncovered. If you have someone on the inside that can lose evidence and hide things, I believe it could go on forever. I'm not saying that the girls were some kind of secret agent or narc or anything to that effect BUT I do know good girls tend to like bad boys. If they saw or knew something that could jeopardize any kind of official or anyone with power then that could be a bad. ( example RC's story and HCR) I'm not saying any of it is facts or true but sometimes answers lie where most wouldn't look. As far as the DNA, I don't think that it's part of the murder but I could be wrong. If OPD would test it in other sources then they may get a family member connected to it. If it's not part of the crime then It would then be eliminated. What would it hurt for CJ to investigate the case?? Only reason not to let them, in my mind, is that they don't want them to point in the direction of the killer. What else could it be? I think it's time for these two families to get some answers either way. If it was my child, I wouldn't care what tactics they use and if they wouldn't I WOULD. All of this is just my opinion and thoughts on it. None of it is based on facts......just my theory

So you are suggesting that he did something to one or both of the girls and afterwards killed them? Since he knew all along it was two girls there, the murders would have been premeditated as he knew Tracie witnessed everything or are you saying he thought of killing them after the fact?
If something caused the girls to bolt (hence the briars, mud, and scratches), causing him to feel the need to give chase, that would be an indicator to him that he would not be able to reach a non-disclosure understanding with them that he could depend on. He may have at that time feared that the only option was to kill them, even though it could be that nothing was done forcibly prior to their attempting to run. But I am the amateur here, and my only strong point is my knowledge of the area and presence in the community when this occurred. I do not have honed sleuthing skills.

Last edited:
What would have been the “bad cop’s” motivation to kill these two girls?
If the girls had something done to them, seen something or knew something that would ruin him would be my guess. I believe there was a reason behind it .....just trying to figure out what it is. someone dont just kill two beautiful young girls for no reason at all. I think the person or persons responsible had to know the area pretty well to know that the spot on herring ave was covered so well and had to be comfortable to drive the car there with two bodies in the trunk.

I have read almost the whole thread tonight and my brain is now full of information that I have to process for a while.

A question- where did the poster Thinblueline go? Tbl is not a member anymore it seems.

I have read almost the whole thread tonight and my brain is now full of information that I have to process for a while.

A question- where did the poster Thinblueline go? Tbl is not a member anymore it seems.
Seemed like TBL wasn't gonna say anymore about the case from what I gathered. He had some good info and seemed to have inside knowledge on it but was limited as to what he could talk about. It would be nice if he would tell us everything he knows about the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay