AL AL - J.B. Beasley, 17, & Tracie Hawlett, 17, Ozark, 31 July 1999 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
When did the p.i interview the two boys?
LE failing to interview them immediately after the murders is much more nefarious than than simple incompetence IMO

I do not know when the PI actually interviewed them but he made his statement public in 2007. He was quite shocked that LE never interviewed them.

There has been confirmation that they were trying to meet up with 2 boys in Midland City that night. I don't think anyone has ever definitively confirmed the nature of their relationship, with these 2 boys or how they knew them, to the public. I may be wrong, but I believe the Police knew of them and their identity.

I don't know if we have access to the Thread #3 anymore. But there was a poster, who posted some documents and statements on Thread #3 before it was shut down, which cleared some things up, if what was posted was true (the following is all from my recollection of the posts in Thread #3 and I can't remember the poster's handle/screenname):

- There was another party near Skipperville, which Tracie and JB stopped at before Ozark; supposedly, there were confirmations from people at this party, that JB and Tracie were in fact at this party for a short time - like 15 min; so this indicated to me, they did not go to Midland City prior to Ozark

- In Ozark, the phone call to Tracie's mom was to ease her mom's worrying and buy more time, they were not lost; Tracie asked if they could stop in Midland City to meet the 2 boys at a gas station; Tracie's mom agreed but that was only stop and they were not to stay long

I read over my last post about lost directions and forgot something very important. I did not actually "drive" the route from the Headland, AL gas station to make wrong turn ending up in Ozark, AL at Big Little Store. When I drove the route, I meant I drove it on Google Earth maps. It would actually help to drive it in person, but I am not from Alabama. That is kind of an important detail about my mapping route post. There are many different ways J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett could have gone north to end up on Rt. 27 and then going west into Ozark, AL.

My opinion from driving the route on Google maps is that they made a wrong turn near the Headland downtown square and after that point they had to guess the best route at night which took them north and eventually over to AL 27. This is all speculation. I hope it clears up any confusion.

If anyone ever does try to do the drive in real life, I would be interested in reading about it.

This story makes a lot of sense. My specialty is mapping. When I tried driving the route on Google maps to Midland City from the Headland gas station, I ended up taking a wrong turn in Headland near the square in town I think if I remember correctly.

So to start you would leave the Headland gas station on 134. Then somewhere in Headland you end up thinking you are still on 134 when you are actually on 173. Next, because it is night and you cannot tell direction(disorientation) you would end up following 173 north all the way to 27. Then you would end up taking 27 south(real direction west) over to Ozark, AL where they ended up at the Big Little gas station and Tracie Hawlett makes the call to her mom about being lost at 11:38 pm. This is all done guessing things like road signs were the same as they were the night of July 31, 1999.

That is why it made me think that maybe J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett stopped at the rest stop on the way home, to get a roadmap and use the restroom. However as far as I have read, police did not find a roadmap in the car. So in conclusion, when Tracie Hawlett told her mother on the phone that they were "lost" and on their way home, I believe she was telling the truth.

My edit about driving the map route "on Google maps".

I don’t think LE “zeroed in” on the DNA at all. The most overlooked fact in this case is that it was actually “solved” VERY early on. They had their man! Case was closed. The DNA was what ruined their case. Spivey and Co. were ready to send Barrentine away for life.

Barrentine was supposed to be the patsy.

I want to see that interrogation!

Agree Barrentine was the fall guy ...

I concur with somequestions and killarney rose in that they were actually lost, not buying time and trying to get home.

This may have been discussed before too and I apologize if it has but I've always wondered if they turned too early to get on highway 231 south. In the screenshot below is Broad Street headed west to highway 231 the gas station they stopped for directions would be several blocks behind them. The sign indicates 231 south is a left turn but you can also continue straight to 231 in a better illuminated, heavier trafficked route on Andrews Avenue (by McDonald's for those familiar with Ozark).
View attachment 141270

This case is so interesting because I have literally tried to guess using Google maps how J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett may have gotten "lost" after the phone call by Tracie Hawlett from the Big Little gas station at 11:38 pm on July 31st, 1999.

I thought maybe they were not familiar with Ozark, AL, but then I saw an interview with J.B. Beasley's sister that said they were familiar with Ozark, AL and when you look at the directions it does seem kind of hard to understand how they would have gotten lost in Ozark, AL after the phone call from the Big Little gas station.

My first thought post too was that maybe they turned early(where the street sign for 123 is) and did a circle on residential streets to end up over near Herring Avenue where there car was found. So they ended up on someone's property over there.

Another thought post was that after they got directions they turned around to go back out of Ozark, AL the way they came but went straight at a turn(because of another sign), and then ended up dead ending on Bingham Avenue and someone kidnapped them in that area.

Yet another thought post was that when J.B. Beasley got to 231 she took a right to go north instead of a left and they ended up turning around in someone's driveway when they realized they were going the wrong direction. This person then kidnapped them at their home.

And finally I came up with the idea that they were not "lost" but stopped somewhere like the rest stop on 231, but that theory does not make a lot of sense to me because of the logistics of how one person can drive two cars because Herring Avenue is a ways from the 231 rest stop.

So what I am saying is that I am very confused and still do not know how J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett's car ended up over on Herring Avenue in Ozark, AL after they were seen leaving the gas station by a witness and going the right direction on the night of July 31, 1999. It is a mystery.

Maybe they intently went to Ozark and stopped at someone'splace that was not far from where the car was found. Remeber there were a few characters in this story and from what I recall they lived within a mile at most from where the car was found.

The case was botched from the beginning .....

cherrymeg,

Bookie was a freshman at Northview HS, about to be a sophomore and JB and Tracie were about to be seniors. Apparently, JB and Tracie knew Bookie.

On the night in question, JB and Tracie ended up at the BP gas station in Headland, after they gave up trying to find the field party in Haleburg from the hand written map/directions. This is the gas station, where JB called on the pay phone to her friend who was hosting the party, but she did not speak to the friend, but spoke to friend's sister. Bookie ended up at the gas station as well. JB and Tracie told him about the field party and stated they couldn't find it. They gave the map to Bookie. Then JB asked Bookie for directions to get to Midland City from Headland, without going all the way back to Dothan. Bookie gave them these directions and JB and Tracie left in the direction that Bookie had just given them. And Bookie and his friend left to go find the party, which I think they eventually did. A Law Enforcement Officer, I do not recall his jurisdiction, confirmed seeing JB and Tracie at this gas station that night.

My recollection is, that one of JB's sister's asked Bookie about that night, and that is what prompted him to make the video you posted.

Also, I believe the same sister confirmed that JB had a cell phone. However it was either the pre-paid minute plan or her plan had a set # of minutes and she had already used up her minutes. Also, in 1999, some of the places where they were driving that night between cities and rural, would not have had great service, if any service.

He names friends he was with. They could have witnessed something without even thinking about it at the time. I wonder if the police checked her cellphone. I don't know if you could check messages if the phone was off or not activated. If you were in a dead zone could they check attempted calls. It doesn't seem like the police put in a lot of effort to solve this case. Maybe things are being held back, if they didn't try very hard that lends credibility to the rumors that a cop was involved.

This case is so interesting because I have literally tried to guess using Google maps how J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett may have gotten "lost" after the phone call by Tracie Hawlett from the Big Little gas station at 11:38 pm on July 31st, 1999.

I thought maybe they were not familiar with Ozark, AL, but then I saw an interview with J.B. Beasley's sister that said they were familiar with Ozark, AL and when you look at the directions it does seem kind of hard to understand how they would have gotten lost in Ozark, AL after the phone call from the Big Little gas station.

My first thought post too was that maybe they turned early(where the street sign for 123 is) and did a circle on residential streets to end up over near Herring Avenue where there car was found. So they ended up on someone's property over there.

Another thought post was that after they got directions they turned around to go back out of Ozark, AL the way they came but went straight at a turn(because of another sign), and then ended up dead ending on Bingham Avenue and someone kidnapped them in that area.

Yet another thought post was that when J.B. Beasley got to 231 she took a right to go north instead of a left and they ended up turning around in someone's driveway when they realized they were going the wrong direction. This person then kidnapped them at their home.

And finally I came up with the idea that they were not "lost" but stopped somewhere like the rest stop on 231, but that theory does not make a lot of sense to me because of the logistics of how one person can drive two cars because Herring Avenue is a ways from the 231 rest stop.

So what I am saying is that I am very confused and still do not know how J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett's car ended up over on Herring Avenue in Ozark, AL after they were seen leaving the gas station by a witness and going the right direction on the night of July 31, 1999. It is a mystery.

BBM...If it was just one person, perhaps he was on foot. Also, it also could have been two or more people together in one vehicle

BBM...Their car ended up on Herring Ave because that is where the killer drove it to. JB & Tracie were in the trunk. Tracie was dead and JB was either dead or dying. The question I would like ansered is why was it driven to Herring Ave.

BBM...If it was just one person, perhaps he was on foot. Also, it also could have been two or more people together in one vehicle

BBM...Their car ended up on Herring Ave because that is where the killer drove it to. JB & Tracie were in the trunk. Tracie was dead and JB was either dead or dying. The question I would like ansered is why was it driven to Herring Ave.

Maybe due to it being within walking distance ....

I concur with somequestions and killarney rose in that they were actually lost, not buying time and trying to get home.

This may have been discussed before too and I apologize if it has but I've always wondered if they turned too early to get on highway 231 south. In the screenshot below is Broad Street headed west to highway 231 the gas station they stopped for directions would be several blocks behind them. The sign indicates 231 south is a left turn but you can also continue straight to 231 in a better illuminated, heavier trafficked route on Andrews Avenue (by McDonald's for those familiar with Ozark).
View attachment 141270

This was a good picture. I considered this route as well. Basically according to Google maps, turning here would put you on 123 south(if I am correct), but the thing is as long as they follow 123 it looks like it runs right back into 231 south. That is why I kind of dismissed this idea.

In my opinion, what I was looking for was how a person could psychologically become confused by directions at night while following signs. The reason night is so important is because J.B. Beasley would lose her visual cues and relying on signage would be even more important.

It is really hard to figure out because the directions from the Big Little store to US 231 seem like simple directions. All they had to do was follow Broad street from the Big Little gas station, and they would run into 231. Or if they took 123 south, that would also run into 231. So I do not get it. It is probably best to focus on the actual mud/water evidence found on their shoes and clothing. That will probably help determine where they went the night of July 31, 1999.

Agree Barrentine was the fall guy ...

I don't have much sympathy for Barrentine. LE didn't seek him out. He went to them. He lied thru his teeth about what he did or did not see, told several different stories about what happened and even went as far as to evidently falsely accuse at least one person he knew of murdering the girls. I do not agree with the prosecuting attorney's decision to charge him, but again, he brought it all on himself.

Maybe they intently went to Ozark and stopped at someone'splace that was not far from where the car was found. Remeber there were a few characters in this story and from what I recall they lived within a mile at most from where the car was found.

The case was botched from the beginning .....

I wondered about this too. I'm trying to remember the timeline and if it was possible for them to have driven the car to Herring st or close by. I've never been to Ozark Alabama or the state unless I drove through it, so I don't know what it's like. Could Tracie and J.B have gotten lost? Is it realistic? They asked for directions from Mrs Merritt at 11 at the big/little. Did the mom hear them talking to a woman? This seems like a smart way to convince a parent that you are lost. If they can hear one person talking to an adult female it's much more genuine than if you say you're lost and it sounds like you are at a party or guys can be heard in the background. I could be way off. I'm not judging I'm trying to think of things I would do as a teen.

I considered the killer being on foot as well. But the problem with that theory is that Ozark, AL seems like a small town. If someone did drive there around 11:30 - 12 at night, how many people would be out walking? How many places are open along the route J.B. Beasley needed to drive to get home? Why would they stop their car for someone walking at night that I would be surprised they could even see? Even if they stopped at the 231 rest stop, what person would be there by walking? It is just hard for me to think the killer was on foot.

I don't have much sympathy for Barrentine. LE didn't seek him out. He went to them. He lied thru his teeth about what he did or did not see, told several different stories about what happened and even went as far as to evidently falsely accuse at least one person he knew of murdering the girls. I do not agree with the prosecuting attorney's decision to charge him, but again, he brought it all on himself.

Could he have seen something? I'd like to know what he said and if it was coerced. If the cops didn't coerce him or lead him and give him details about the crime but he knew them anyway, that means he saw her heard it somewhere.

I considered the killer being on foot as well. But the problem with that theory is that Ozark, AL seems like a small town. If someone did drive there around 11:30 - 12 at night, how many people would be out walking? How many places are open along the route J.B. Beasley needed to drive to get home? Why would they stop their car for someone walking at night that I would be surprised they could even see? Even if they stopped at the 231 rest stop, what person would be there by walking? It is just hard for me to think the killer was on foot.

Well, we don't know how they were captured, but he could have simply drove up on them while they were parked somewhere like the rest area. Or, if they were inside somewhere, he could have pulled up to their car and nabbed them at gunpoint.

Could he have seen something? I'd like to know what he said and if it was coerced. If the cops didn't coerce him or lead him and give him details about the crime but he knew them anyway, that means he saw her heard it somewhere.

According to ABI Agent Huggins who testified at Barrentine's hearing he (Barrentine) was able to "correctly identify the girls clothing and other things pertinent to the crimes". So, unless he was fed the info, he definitely saw the girls somewhere that night.

Well, we don't know how they were captured, but he could have simply drove up on them while they were parked somewhere like the rest area. Or, if they were inside somewhere, he could have pulled up to their car and nabbed them at gunpoint.

They could have picked up a person/s they thought they knew. If it wasn't an authority figure like a cop or a person pretending to be one, it could have been someone they planned to drive somewhere with. Where girls ever considered suspects? Were there issues with classmates. Women can be brutal.

The shell casing that was on J.B's leg could that be a signature a killer would use. It seems like it could be meant to send a message. It could also mean the killer didn't care about picking up after themselves because they knew they'd toss the gun and/or it wasn't traceable to them. Then there is the option that they were careless and lucky.

This case is so baffling. Two teenage girls go out to celebrate a birthday and they end up basically executed and left in the one girl's trunk. No one knows the exact location of where they were killed. The killer leaves the car on a street, instead of dumping it and J.B and Tracie into a body of water, that could take days to find or even years. Was there a reason they were easily found? Was it a threat or message to someone. There is a chance it was simple laziness and the car was parked near the killer's home or they place they were staying at that night. The murders seem professional or very cold. Have similar crimes occured in other states?

The killer doesn’t have to be the one who drove the car to Herring.
In fact, I suspect it wasn’t the killer who drove the car to Herring.

The reason for the car being left on Herring could simply be that it was know to the driver to be a dark and secluded place.

According to ABI Agent Huggins who testified at Barrentine's hearing he (Barrentine) was able to "correctly identify the girls clothing and other things pertinent to the crimes". So, unless he was fed the info, he definitely saw the girls somewhere that night.

Key words :

“Unless he was fed the info..”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members