GUILTY AL - J.B. Beasley & Tracie Hawlett, both 17, murdered, Ozark, 31 July 1999 *ARREST in 2019* #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Setting Date: Thursday, January 6, 2022
Judge WILLIAM H. FILMORE

Case Number Time Name
26-CC-2019-000188.00 1:30 PM MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS
26-CC-2019-000189.00 1:30 PM MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS
26-CC-2019-000190.00 1:30 PM MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS
26-CC-2019-000191.00 1:30 PM MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS

link: Alacourt ACCESS V2.0

Setting Date: Thursday, January 6, 2022
Judge WILLIAM H. FILMORE

Case Number Time Name
26-CC-2019-000188.00 1:30 PM MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS
26-CC-2019-000189.00 1:30 PM MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS
26-CC-2019-000190.00 1:30 PM MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS
26-CC-2019-000191.00 1:30 PM MCCRANEY COLEY LEWIS

link: Alacourt ACCESS V2.0

It’s the hearing date for the State’s motion in limine.

There are several other motions filed since the hearing date was ordered. For some reason all I am getting on my access and download are the transmittal cover sheets.
I find that curious, but I will recheck on this soon.

Something of interest, but I will not speculate further for now. It may just be a “housekeeping” matter. However, I have learned through the years that a judge may be the most difficult to read while on the bench.

On the hearing for the State’s motion in Limine:

On 12/21/2021 the presiding judge orders the hearing for 1/6/2022

On 12/30/2021 the presiding judge modifies his hearing order to restrict the hearing to oral arguments only.

Interesting though for sure

Dropbox - 26-CC-2019-000191.00 - ORDER FOR IN LIMINE - MOTION OTHER - In Limine #1.pdf - Simplify your life

Dropbox - Limine Order Hearing 2.pdf - Simplify your life

As always, my thanks to everyone for being advocates of truth

Last edited:
This is a bit long since he hasn't been in court in awhile - I shall shorten it up.

Thursday, January 6th:
*Motions (in Limine) Hearing (@ 1:30pm CT) – AL – J.B. Hilton Green Beasley (17) & Tracie Jean Hawlett (17) (July 31, 1999, Ozark, found August 2, 1999 in trunk of car) - *Coley Lewis McCraney (25 @ time of crime/45/now 48) arrested (3/15/19), charged (3/16/19) & indicted (6/6/19) with 2 counts of 1st degree murder, 2 counts of 1st degree murder while in the act of murdering two or more persons & 1 count of 1st degree rape (Beasley). Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA will seek DP.
Parabon Nanolabs GEDMatch DNA
Trial was set to begin on 5/4/20-cancelled due to COVID19 & rescheduled on 11/16/20 & cancelled & rescheduled on 5/2/22.

Court information from 4/3/19 thru 10/7/19 reference post #142 here:
AL - J.B. Beasley & Tracie Hawlett, both 17, murdered, Ozark, 31 July 1999 #5 *ARREST*

2/3/20 Update: Nothing on court site. Trial on 5/4 has been cancelled due to COVID19. 5/14/20 Update: Trial in Alabama will not start up again until after September.
9/24/20 Update: McCraney had a trial date tentatively set for Nov. 16, 2020. However, a motion was filed recently by McCraney’s defense attorneys requesting a continuance due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The motion states additional time is needed to meet with witnesses & to re-examine evidence. Dale County Circuit Judge William H. Filmore issued an order granting the motion to continue trial; no specific trial date has been scheduled for 2021.
9/10/21: Motion to transfer prisoner denied. McCraney’s sister passed away last week. He was seeking permission to attend her funeral. 9/15/21 Update: Trial is set for 5/2/22. Dale County Circuit Judge William H. Filmore will preside over the trial. 12/6/21: Prosecutor added an additional (3rd) member assigned: Daniel Emmett Massey IV. State filed motion for discovery.
12/20/21 Update: On Monday morning, prosecutors filed the following Motion in Limine, which is requesting a preliminary decision on evidence they are objecting to before McCraney’s set trial date on 5/2/22. According to legal documents, the prosecution is requesting to restrict the defendant from attempting to present evidence they call improper & the argument that another person committed the crimes. Per court documents, the State of Alabama submitted the following as improper evidence that should not be part of this trail: 1) A witness’s opinion as to the guilt or innocence of either the defendant or another person. 2) Speculation as to what, why, who & how the murders were committed by either another person or class of people such as law enforcement officers, drug violators, carnival workers & government officials. 3) Less than “legal evidence” that a third party committed an act that goes to the perpetration of the res gestae of the murders the defendant is indicted for. 4) Either records of or testimony in reference to Johnny William Barrentine. 5) Suspicion & speculation that an Ozark police officer murdered the victims. 6) Any one of numerous reports to law enforcement agencies that were not helpful in the investigation of the murders before the court. 7) Hearsay & opinions from Mr. Hilton Lanier Beasley. 8) Social media records, newspaper reports, television & radio reports & other forms of hearsay. 9) Testimony concerning the laboratory procedures followed by Parabon Nanolab in the present case & any other case wherein Parabon Nanolab analyzed DNA. Dale County Circuit Judge, William H. Filmore has not made any comments on when a judgement will be made.
12/21/21: Defense’s response to State's Motion in Limine restricting the submission of evidence that another person committed the murders.
link: Dropbox - 26-CC-2019-000191.00 - STATE OF ALABAMA; MOTION - OTHER - DEFENDANT''S RESPONSE TO STATE''S MOTION IN LIMINEOther - Defendant''s Response to State''s Motion in Limine.pdf - Simplify your life
Circuit Judge William H. Filmore set a hearing date on the motions for 1/6/22.

Any news on what might have happened at the hearing? Checking the court calendar nothing comes up thru 1/12 - it's as far as it goes.

Tried searching but just coming up with the most current of Dec., 2021.

TIA if you do!
c0130.gif

Any news on what might have happened at the hearing? Checking the court calendar nothing comes up thru 1/12 - it's as far as it goes.

Tried searching but just coming up with the most current of Dec., 2021.

TIA if you do!
c0130.gif

You’re welcome

The results of the hearing were:

The Judge granted the State’s motion in Limine, It is absolute, but with conditions.

Basically the defense will have to present to the court (i.e. the judge in chambers, away from the jury) almost any exculpatory witness or evidence they intend to present. While this sounds restrictive, it is quite fair. It can actually leave many additional opportunities for appeal should a conviction be secured.

I found it interesting that the judge extended this restriction as far as the jury selection ( see Voir Dire). It is obvious that Judge Filmore is covering potentialities early. This is a mark of an experienced jurist in potentially keeping the trial from possibly being tainted during jury selection.

Here is the judge’s order:

Dropbox - McCraney Order in response to State motion in Limine (Document 218).pdf - Simplify your life

Last edited:
Thank you for your patience everyone. I hope I am helping with clarity as opposed to just posting the court documents.
There is nothing else currently on the docket until the trial. However I expect additional filings soon. I will do my best to stay up to date.

many thanks to everyone for your support.

Last edited:
Thank you for your patience everyone. I hope I am helping with clarity as opposed to just posting the court documents.
There is nothing else currently on the docket until the trial. However I expect additional filings soon. I will do my best to stay up to date.

many thanks to everyone for your support.

I appreciated ALL the info that you can provide so I can keep my notes up to date! Post when you can! :)

ADMIN NOTE:

@Blacklist has now been verified as a family member of J.B. Beasley.

Verified insiders are not required to provide links to information they state as fact or their knowledge of the case. Please treat our VI with respect at all times and if you happen to disagree with something they have contributed, do not argue with them or challenge them. Just scroll and roll without engaging.

Thank you to Blacklist and all others for being here to discuss this case.

Welcome to @Blacklist ! I had been wondering if you were a lawyer, as you always post with such great knowledge of the legalities of this case. Thank-you for coming here as a family member of J.B. Beasley for all of us who continue to keep tabs on this horrific crime. My continuing condolences to you and the family members of both young teens.

Additional results from the January 6th hearing on the States motion in Limine.
Apparently during the hearing the Court ordered the release of the Barrentine interviews to defense counsel. Confirmation of that release is attached below. The interviews in total were not attached to the e-filing. (It could be sealed for the time being. I cannot advise currently). I am a bit surprised that these were not obtained long before now. In fact, they may have been and this is litigation housekeeping of sorts. But as I have alluded to prior, the DA’s office (like a number of others) can be a bit stingy on release of discovery. No matter, most of those interested in this case can see where it’s going.

Dropbox - Discovery Notice Re Barrentine Interviews transmittal January 2022.pdf - Simplify your life

Last edited:
Welcome to @Blacklist ! I had been wondering if you were a lawyer, as you always post with such great knowledge of the legalities of this case. Thank-you for coming here as a family member of J.B. Beasley for all of us who continue to keep tabs on this horrific crime. My continuing condolences to you and the family members of both young teens.

Thank you and everyone for their support.
My (other) professional credentials and background are currently being vetted by the Administration staff. Those will be presented in time I am sure. The staff is very thorough as they should be. I truly respect and admire the professional level at which Websleuths is organized and operated.

As I try to always remind everyone, I am grateful to all that contribute to this case. I assure you that it is helping carry forth justice whether you may think of it that way or not.
I am also grateful for those that watch without posting. It is my hope that this forum not only provides salient information, but also introspection for the future.

Good work my friends. You are much more than you may realize.

Last edited:
Blacklist, I almost hate to like your post, because I do see where it’s going. I just hope we have a jury that is too smart too fall for Harrison’s tricks.

Being knowledgeable regarding the residents of Ozark and Dale County, I agree with the apparent thoughts of the presiding judge. I am supremely confident in a highly qualified, intelligent and fair jury. One that will see the facts in their own light and disregard theatrics by either side. As long as it is a level field, justice will prevail I feel.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties
Back