GUILTY AL - J.B. Beasley & Tracie Hawlett, both 17, murdered, Ozark, 31 July 1999 *ARREST in 2019* #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I noticed that the blog says Day 4 of trial, but he is counting the jury selection days - where I am not... so yesterday was Day 2. :)

Friday, April 21st:
*Trial continues (Day 3) (@ 9am CT) – AL – J.B. Hilton Green Beasley (17) & Tracie Jean Hawlett (17) (reported missing July 31, 1999, Ozark & found August 2, 1999 in trunk of car) - *Coley Lewis McCraney (25 @ time of crime/45/now 49) arrested (3/15/19), charged (3/16/19) & indicted (6/6/19) with 2 counts of 1st degree murder, 2 counts of 1st degree murder while in the act of murdering two or more persons & 1 count of 1st degree rape (Beasley). Plead not guilty. Held without bond. Denied bond request 11/15/22. DA will seek DP.
Parabon Nanolabs GEDMatch DNA.
Trial began on 4/17/23 with jury selection & ended on 4/18/23. 12 jurors & 2 alternates. (7 men & 7 women/2 men alternates). Juror dismissed (4/20/23). Now 12 jurors & 1 alternate (7 men & 7 women/1 man alternate).
Trial began with opening statements began on 4/19/23.

Court information from 4/3/19 thru 4/13/23 & Jury Selection Day 1-2 (4/17-4/18/23) & Trial Day 1 (4/19/23) reference post #751 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...17-ozark-31-july-1999-5-arrest.465871/page-38

4/20/23 Thursday, Trial Day 2: State witnesses: Bobby Blankenship, retired Ozark police officer. Alton Miller, retired Dothan police officer. Marc Crews, retired lab director with the Department of Forensic Sciences, Dothan Laboratory.
for more info see posts #752 & 755 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...ed-ozark-31-july-1999-5-arrest.465871/page-38
State witness: Gregory Wanger, retired forensic pathologist.
for more info see posts #757 & 758 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...ed-ozark-31-july-1999-5-arrest.465871/page-38
State witness: Katherine Richert, forensic scientist.
for more info see post #759 here:
Juror that caused the delay this morning has been arrested & dismissed from jury duty due to a failure to appear warrant in Houston County.
Trial continues on Friday, 4/21/23.

Finally …..

Can hardly believe this trial is finally starting! I hope for justice for Tracie and J.B. A horrific case.

Last edited:
During his testimony, Miller recounted the events of Sunday, August 1, 1999, the day after JB Beasley and Tracie Hawlett were murdered.

According to Miller, Sunday morning he received a call from his supervisor about a possibly missing persons or runaway juvenile case, Beasley and Hawlett, and their car was found in Ozark by a patrol officer earlier that morning. Miller knew Hawlett’s mother and stepfather, Carroll and Michael Roberts, and when he heard who it was, he went to the Roberts’ home to learn more.

“She (Carroll) told me her daughter was missing and I told her I was gonna find her,” said Miller.

Miller says that he got directions to the area where the car was found, Herring Avenue in Ozark, and when he arrived on the scene, he saw the vehicle and a path leading to the woods, which he started to walk down, but turned around when he heard an Ozark Police car pulling up.

When he got back to the car, the OPD officer gave him a rundown of the morning, telling him that officers had been patrolling the area since the car was found around 6:40 a.m. that morning, and Miller began investigating the scene, according to Miller.

“There were some red flags about the car,” said Miller.

Miller described the car as dusty on the outside with dry sand and mud in the front seats, and smudge marks resembling a hand on the back door of the driver’s side.

After finding a dark substance on the bumper of the car, Miller says he had to open the trunk and searched the car until he finally found the release lever, opened the trunk, and found Beasley and Hawlett, dead. They had been shot to death in the trunk.

According to Miller, after calming down the OPD officer and contacting his supervisor, Miller ordered the scene to be secured.

What Miller described seems to contradict the testimony of Bobby Blankenship, a retired OPD Sergeant who said he was the one who discovered Beasley’s car that morning.

A question if I may. Has the prosecution done any redirect testimony of their witnesses?
Actually yes. The reporting is spotty as the Court is not allowing cameras or recording live. Note taking here is the standard therefor. Actual testimony is much more full than the note taking would show.

Last edited:
Witness: Marc Crews (cross examination)

11:00 a.m. 1314 HWY 123 N Ozark is presented by Crews as the secondary scene. He stated that it was a residential area.

Witness: Katherine Richert, forensic scientist

2:48 She testified about going to a second scene along Alabama Highway 123 to see if there was evidence there.

These statements are interesting to me because there is some evidence that the secondary scene that was investigated was actually slightly further south than 1314 Hwy 123N at 2271 Hwy 123 N.

The True Crime Notebook (a site that doesn't appear to exist any more) quoted the following description of the secondary scene. I'm not sure of the origin of this description, but it was on the old True Crime Notebook site.

"The area, next to what neighbors said is a now-vacant house, is surrounded by trees and has two World War II-era buildings on the property. The spider-web-encrusted buildings — wooden structures that appear to be a barn and a half-collapsed garage — sit about 100 feet off the roadway."
Capture1.JPG

Below is an image of law enforcement at this site. I'm not sure of the origin of this image, but it was posted on the True Crime Notebook.
Hwy 123.jpeg

The site at 2271 Hwy 123 N is also close to a small pond.
Capture2.JPG

Last edited:
Anyone else find I odd and unlikely that his wife said he left out that morning to work on the land they were clearing and when he got home he looked the same as when he left, clean. Or am I missing something? I know I'm far from clean when I spend a full day, let alone July day, in the yard.

Anyone else find I odd and unlikely that his wife said he left out that morning to work on the land they were clearing and when he got home he looked the same as when he left, clean. Or am I missing something? I know I'm far from clean when I spend a full day, let alone July day, in the yard.
True 'nuf! I really would not put much stock in what a wife says 'on the stand' about a hubby (in general) if they are a staunch supporter of said hubby. Obvious bias ;) JMO.

At the end of testimony today, the Judge had a sidebar meeting with counsel. It is my understanding that one of the five charges may have been dropped, leaving four capital charges.

There has not been an order posted on Alacourt regarding this as of yet, so I should not elaborate on the details at this time.
I should be receiving more clarification directly and will fill in everyone in as I can.

Quite a trip of twists, turns and contradictory information.

Justice On friends !!!

Last edited:
It also seems that his wife’s testimony is not giving him an alibi for the time in question. Not only is it not giving him an alibi, it’s indirectly putting him at the BIL/Little with car trouble when the girls were there.

Another point. If McCraney "gave them directions to Highway 231 heading toward Dothan," why didn't Tracie Hawlett and J.B. Beasley get on 231 and drive back to their homes in Dothan?

Found a few articles for Friday, 4/21/23. All of the articles did not have all the witnesses' names - that is why I have so many! :)

April 21, 2023
OZARK, Ala. (WTVY) - The harshest blow to suspected killer Coley McCraney’s defense may have come from his wife, who on Friday placed him at the location where the two teens that police say he killed were last seen.

Jeanette McCraney testified that her husband’s car broke down at an Ozark convenience store where victim Tracie Hawlett called her mother about 11:30 on July 31, 1999.

She promised that she and her classmate JB Beasley would be home soon after they became lost while searching for a party in Dale County.
[.....]
Retired state agent Barry Tucker testified earlier Friday that the girls’ killer drove them from the unknown shooting scene to Herring Avenue, a seldom traveled and narrow road near Dale Medical Center.
[.....]
Not until 20 years later was McCaney’s DNA available after he voluntarily provided a sample to then-Ozark Police Chief Marlos Walker who had received preliminary analysis that indicated an unknown relative of McCraney could be the killer.

and another article Day 3, 4/21/23 - just the morning session.

April 21, 2023
MONTGOMERY, Ala. (WSFA) - Testimony continued inside the Dale County Courthouse Friday, day three of the Coley McCraney murder trial.

A former state investigator was the first witness on the stand for the prosecution today. Most of his testimony focused on mud that was found on the outside and the inside of the car where J.B. Beasley and Tracy Hawlett bodies were discovered. We know from previous testimony that the girls had mud on their clothes and that mud was found on the outside of the car and Trunk. But, the only place mud was found inside the car was on the driver’s side.

Agent Barry Tucker testified.....

and another article for Friday.

April 21, 2023
Former Ozark Police Chief Marlos Walker told the court Friday that he became involved in the case in 2009 as a member of the Wiregrass Violent Crimes Task Force. When he became OPD Chief in 2015, the department’s investigators were still working on solving the case, he said. When the DNA report with McCraney’s name on it came back from the law enforcement resource center, he reached out to McCraney and McCraney agreed to come in to the police department and provide a DNA swab, Walker said. McCraney’s attorney Andrew Scarborough asked why, after McCraney had agreed to come in, Walker had him arrested during a traffic stop in Daleville. Walker said it was because of the positive DNA match.
[.....]
Michael Bryan, now the OPD Deputy Chief and in 1999 an investigator, arrested McCraney in 2019. Video from the body camera Bryan was wearing during McCraney’s arrest was played for the court Friday. Bryan said that McCraney told him that he did not know the girls and had he ever met the girls.

I think he was home for a bit after working outside all day. If I remember correctly, he left around 10pm to go to his parents’ house. I assume he showered in between. Although, if he walked home after having car trouble I imagine he was pretty sweaty (plus dirty from messing with the car). The humidity at that time of year is brutal even at night.

Unless the defense ties this up at the end, I don’t see how the wife’s testimony helps him.

If McCraney’s defense counsel had any idea she was going to pooch up her testimony into what it turned out to be, they would have thought deeper about invoking spousal privilege on this testimony.

Forbidding some drastic event, this case is imploding on itself.

Nothing new on Alacourt to report or post.

Justice on Friends!!!!

Monday, April 24th:
*Trial continues (Day 4) (@ 9am CT) – AL – J.B. Hilton Green Beasley (17) & Tracie Jean Hawlett (17) (reported missing July 31, 1999, Ozark & found August 2, 1999 in trunk of car) - *Coley Lewis McCraney (25 @ time of crime/45/now 49) arrested (3/15/19), charged (3/16/19) & indicted (6/6/19) with 2 counts of 1st degree murder, 2 counts of 1st degree murder while in the act of murdering two or more persons & 1 count of 1st degree rape (Beasley). Plead not guilty. Held without bond. Denied bond request 11/15/22. DA will seek DP.
Parabon Nanolabs GEDMatch DNA.
Trial began on 4/17/23 with jury selection & ended on 4/18/23. 12 jurors & 2 alternates. (7 men & 7 women/2 men alternates). Juror dismissed (4/20/23). Now 12 jurors & 1 alternate (6 men & 7 women/1 man alternate).
Trial began with opening statements began on 4/19/23.

Court information from 4/3/19 thru 4/13/23 & Jury Selection Day 1-2 (4/17-4/18/23) & Trial Day 1-2 (4/19-4/20/23) reference post #762 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...17-ozark-31-july-1999-5-arrest.465871/page-39

Recap of State witnesses for Thursday, 4/20/23-I did not get them all. The court heard testimony from retired Ozark Police Sgt. Bobby Blankenship, retired Dothan Police Sgt. Alton Miller, former Alabama Forensic Science Dept. Dothan Lab Director Marc Crews, retired forensic pathologist Gregory Wanger, retired Alabama Forensic Science Dept. Montgomery Lab Director Katherine Richert, Michael Hitchcock, now a senior forensic chemist with the U.S. Postal Service & in 1999, a forensic scientist with the Alabama Dept. of Forensic Science & Houston County Sheriff Dept.’s Internal Affairs Investigator Barry Tuckers.
4/21/23 Friday, Trial Day 3: State witnesses: Retired Houston County Sheriff Dept. Internal Affairs Investigator Barry Tucker back on stand. Jeanette McCraney, McCraney's wife. Former Ozark Police Chief Marlos Walker. Michael Bryan, now the OPD Deputy Chief & in 1999 an investigator who arrested McCraney in 2019. Video from the body camera Bryan was wearing during McCraney’s arrest was played for the court Friday. Bryan said that McCraney told him that he did not know the girls & had he ever met the girls.
for more info see post #776 (articles) here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...ed-ozark-31-july-1999-5-arrest.465871/page-39
Trial continues on Monday, 4/24/23. Per Blacklist: At the end of testimony today, the Judge had a sidebar meeting with counsel. It is my understanding that one of the five charges may have been dropped, leaving four capital charges.

Coley McCraney takes the stand: Follow Day 4 of McCraney trial here

Witness: Coley McCraney , defendant

9:34 a.m. Coley McCraney takes the stand.

9:35 a.m. McCraney stated that he was 49 and that he worked as a part time pastor before his arrest. Defense attorney David Harrison asked how far Johnstown was from his previous place of residence. McCraney stated about 3 miles. Harrison presented a photo of McCraney from 1998 in which he was 23 years old. That photos was shown to the jury, they passed the photo around to all the jurors.

9:37 a.m. McCraney said he moved back to Ozark in 1997 where he lived with his parents in Johnstown before moving to his Lisenby Street, 3 miles from Johnstown.

9:40 a.m. Harrison asked how he stayed in contact with his family while he was on the road as a truck driver. McCraney said that he had to use payphones. Harrison asked if he was married in 1998. He said no that he married Jeanette McCraney in 2001. Harrison had McCraney explain the pagers that he and Mrs. McCraney had.

9:42 a.m. McCraney said he and Jeanette were planning to move in 1999 to the vacant lot next to his parents house in Johnstown. “We had been working on it off and on all year,” McCraney said of the land. He said he worked on the land every time he came home from truck driving. The mobile home was already planned to be moved.

9:44 a.m. McCraney said he met JB in June of 1999 at the Wiregrass Commons Mall. He was in Dothan to drop his then girlfriend, now wife, off at work and he stopped at RadioShack in the mall. JB was walking by the store when McCraney was walking out. He testified that he walked up to her and introduced himself and they struck up a conversation. He gave JB his mother’s number because he did not have a phone and he did not want her to page him while his girlfriend was around. McCraney testified that JB called him at his mother’s house that same day. He said that JB called him again in July. “We had plans to meet up whenever we could,” McCraney said.

9:48 a.m. Harrison asked when McCraney came home on July 30,1999. He said it was after lunch and testified that he would park his truck on County Road 18 at a gas station because his truck wouldn’t fit at their Lisenby Street home. McCraney said that he would leave his truck there until he needed to get back on the road.

9:50 a.m. Harrison asked if their was a shortcut from the Big Little to Dothan and McCraney said yes and that it would let out at the gas station that he parked his truck at all the time. McCraney testified that there was a bed in the truck where he slept when he was on the road. McCraney testified that he had several children at the time. Harrison asked if one was with a “white woman” and McCraney said yes and that they dated for two years.

9:52 a.m. McCraney said he went out to the land they owned on July 31, 1999. He said he got a call from JB that day saying that she would be in Ozark. He asked her if they were going to get together. McCraney asked JB, whom he called “Jennifer” if she knew where Carroll high school was and gave her directions. McCraney said he was going to “meet Jennifer,” at 10 p.m.

9:56 a.m. McCraney said he waited for her at the Big Little until after 10 p.m. and then went back to his mom’s house because that was the only number that JB had if she were to call him. McCraney said she never called. McCraney testified that he visited with his family for a while and then left around 11:45 p.m. He said that his “alternator started acting up” and he parked his car at the Big Little. As he got closer to the payphone, he said he recognized the girls, one of them being JB. McCraney testified that he talked to both of the girls. He said JB was supposed to meet him and she said she was running late. He said he got in the back side passenger side of their Mazda 929 to show them the shortcut that McCraney knew back to 231 passed the gas station where his truck was parked.

10:00 a.m. McCraney said that he showed them the truck and JB got in and “one thing lead to another” and they ended up having sex in the truck. Harrison asked if he raped her in the truck. McCraney said “absolutely not.” He stated that they only talked for a few minutes because she said she had to meet someone. He asked them to drop him off but he didn’t want to be dropped of at his house for his girlfriend to see them. McCraney said the Mazda 929 was clean when he got in.

10:02 a.m. Harrison asked what time he was dropped off, he said 12:45 a.m. and he walked home. He asked his girlfriend to help jump the car. McCraney testified that Mrs. McCraney drove him to the Big Little where they jumped the car and returned home around 1 a.m. Harrison asked if he left the house again that night. McCraney said no. Harrison asked McCraney what he did on August 1, 1999. McCraney explained that he and Mrs. McCraney went to Walmart.

10:04 a.m. McCraney said that he didn’t hear about the murders until a few week later when Mrs. McCraney told him. “Did that concern you at all,” Harrison asked. “No, because everything she was telling me was completely different from what I knew,” McCraney responded.

10:05 a.m. McCraney detailed the call he got from Marlos Walker in which Walker asked him to come help go through names of people near Johnstown. McCraney said they made arrangements to meet because he was on the road at the time. McCraney said his wife went with him. Walker asked him if he knew about the two girls. “Yeah, everyone does,” McCraney responded. Walker asked for DNA to “help fill out the family tree.” McCraney testified that he knew it was about the murders and he volunteered his DNA.

10:07 a.m. Harrison asked McCraney if he had “started putting two and two together.” McCraney said he did not. McCraney said that Walker called him again to come back and help with the names. McCraney made arrangements to come in because he was on the road again. McCraney explained that he tried to call Walker’s office number several times to let him know he was back in Alabama but could not get in contact with him.

10:10 a.m. McCraney detailed his arrest in Daleville. He said he was shocked and they did not tell him why he was being arrested. Harrison asked if he was handcuffed and put in an interrogation room. McCraney said yes and that he was “terrified.” He said he was wondering if he was being charged with the murder of JB and Tracie. Harrison asked why he didn’t tell investigators that he knew the girls. He said that he was scared and that once they put the handcuffs on him he “figured they had already made up their minds.” Harrison had McCraney detail his time in the interrogation room. McCraney testified that he slept on the floor. He also said that any time someone would come in that they would ask if he was ready to talk.

10:13 a.m. Harrison asked about the conversation he had with Walker at the station. He said that Walker took him outside of the interrogation room and that they talked about high school. McCraney said that Walker told him they didn’t have to talk about the case if he didn’t want to.

10:14 a.m. Harrison asked if McCraney raped Ms. Beasley. He said no. He asked if he murdered Ms. Beasley. McCraney said no. He asked if he murdered Tracie Hawlett. McCraney said, “No, I did not.”

10:15 a.m. Steve Marshall began cross examination. Marshall asked if McCraney was “mistreated” in the interrogation room. McCraney said no. Marshall said that he reviewed the videos of McCraney in the interrogation room. He broke down the video by time. Marshall asked if he had never publicly told anyone that he had met those girls. McCraney said that after he asked for a lawyer, he didn’t talk to anyone about it. Marshall continued breaking down the video by timestamp, asking McCraney if the times sounded right.

10:19 a.m. Marshall asked if once the table and chairs were removed from the room, there was more space. McCraney said yes. Marshall asked about the mat they brought in and McCraney said that they did bring a mat and blankets. McCraney testified that he was brough food multiple time, including breakfast from McDonald’s. McCraney said he did not eat until someone asked him what he wanted. He said he didn’t want anything, but that they wanted him to eat. He asked for Arby’s fries.

10:22 a.m. Marshall brought up the lights. He asked if they were bright “heat lamp” type lights. McCraney said no. Marshall gestured to the florescent lights in the courtroom and asked if the lights in the interrogation room were like those. McCraney said that they were. McCraney explained how his trucking schedule worked. “It’s one load at a time,” McCraney said. He also said that it was usually two to three weeks per trip.

10:25 a.m. Marshall asked how JB knew to call his mother’s house. McCraney said that she would know if he were going to be home, it would be on the weekend. McCraney testified that JB had to call on any given weekend and hope he was there. Marshall asked if he told his mom that a girl would be calling for him but not to tell Jeanette. McCraney said no because people called for him all the time. He said that he was “single but dating.” McCraney also testified that he didn’t tell anyone about a possible relationship with JB.

10:59 a.m. Judge Filmore called for a break.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unique sky 6793
Back