GUILTY AL - J.B. Beasley & Tracie Hawlett, both 17, murdered, Ozark, 31 July 1999 *ARREST in 2019* #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
WTVY DOTHAN

Impact Statements: Mitchell Barnhill, jailer at Dale County Jail

11:23 a.m. “He’s a good inmate, never caused a problem,” Mr. Barnhill said.

Impact Statement: Cody Kelly, former inmate with McCraney

11:24 a.m. “He did a lot for me. He was a great person to be around, to talk to,” Mr. Kelly said. He talked about how McCraney held Bible classes in the jail everyday. “He introduced Christianity to me again,” Kelly testified. He stated that McCraney impacted his life “a great deal.” “I would say I was not saved before. I would say he saved my soul,” Kelly said. “I’ve never met a better man than Coley McCraney,” he said.

Impact Statement: Jeanette McCraney, McCraney’s wife

11:31 a.m. “He’s very family oriented,” she said. “He’s a great father.” Mrs. McCraney said they have a total of 6 kids and he’s close with them and their 12 grandchildren. Mrs. McCraney spoke about how McCraney helped children and families in need. Mrs. McCraney looked at photos of their grandchildren and other family pictures. She spoke about how two of their children were chosen to be “distinguished children,” because of their grades and religious beliefs. She spoke about how McCraney was chosen as the “Driver of the Region.” “More than life,” Mrs. McCraney responded to Harrison’s question about if their children and grandchildren love McCraney. “He’s a good man. His children need him. I need him. My heart goes out to that family, I hate what they’re going through, but our family, we need him. I love you Coley,” Mrs. McCraney said.

Impact Statement: Alicia McCraney, McCraney’s daughter

11:42 a.m. “I’m very close with my father. We have a very similar personality,” Miss McCraney said. She described the “loving” household that she grew up in. “He’s never been aggressive toward anyone,” Miss McCraney said. She spoke about her father’s spirituality. “They were very loving to each other. They never argued in front of us. They had a rule to never go to bed angry,” Miss McCraney said. She explained that she and her father write letters to each other as often as possible. “I know that one day he will see the life that I’ve made for myself,” Miss McCraney testified. “Time is something you can’t get back and I have a long life ahead of me. I want him to be there to see it.”

I am disgusted that the victims only had two impact statements on their behalf while he has at least a dozen including people who work at the jail.

I am disgusted that the victims only had two impact statements on their behalf while he has at least a dozen including people who work at the jail.
Yeah so....I don't feel super comfortable commenting on this because I have no idea what the reason(s) are for why there were only 2 on behalf of the girls. With all due respect to their families for whatever decisions they made in that regard, it made me sad to see that was the case. I also understand, though, that it's just too difficult for some.

Yeah so....I don't feel super comfortable commenting on this because I have no idea what the reason(s) are for why there were only 2 on behalf of the girls. With all due respect to their families for whatever decisions they made in that regard, it made me sad to see that was the case. I also understand, though, that it's just too difficult for some.

Well said my friend. I do think however, the weight of the case will add to the impact statements and the scales of justice shall balance in the end.
Take solace in knowing that justice will be done in the larger picture.
The only regret that I feel is that in a murder case, the court can never complete its intended function, and that is to make one whole again. The victims remaining behind as well what was taken.

In the end, we will never be whole. This is just a bittersweet step that is termed as justice

Last edited:
Life in prison without parole is how the jury came back
I'm shocked. And I'll just leave it at that.

Well said my friend. I do think however, the weight of the case will add to the impact statements and the scales of justice shall balance in the end.
Take solace in knowing that justice will be done in the larger picture.
The only regret that I feel is that in a murder case, the court can never complete its intended function, and that is to make one whole again. The victims remaining behind as well what was taken.

In the end, we will never be whole. This is just a bittersweet step that is termed as justice

There is no doubt the "surviving" victims will never be whole. It is unimaginable.

I hope and pray you all know how many have said prayers and never forgotten Tracie and JB. I trust that will continue. You've definitely been dedicated here. I hope you won't disappear!

I'm shocked. And I'll just leave it at that.

There is no doubt the "surviving" victims will never be whole. It is unimaginable.

I hope and pray you all know how many have said prayers and never forgotten Tracie and JB. I trust that will continue. You've definitely been dedicated here. I hope you won't disappear!

Not a chance my precious friend. I’ll be around until the breath leaves me.

Life in prison without parole is how the jury came back

A case like this sometimes comes back with a bifurcated verdict. The jury decides to convict in the guilt phase while intending to give life without parole instead of a death sentence in the penalty phase.

I once saw Marcia Clark gives this "bifurcated" explanation on TV. And I've seen it happen as a long-time trial junkie.

One more from the penalty phase, just for posterity since it's over now.

WTVY DOTHAN

Closing Arguments: Prosecution

1:39 p.m. Marshall addressed the jury, explaining that McCraney had 20 years free after committing these crimes. “The man you heard about today is very different from the man you’ve heard about the past two weeks. That man was not a Godly man,” Marshall said. Marshall stated that man was “a rapist and a murderer.” He spoke about how JB and Tracie were children who never got to live. “A majorette and a ballerina,” Marshall described Tracie and JB. He urged the jury to “exercise the judgement they have so far.” He finished by stating that they would “respect whatever choice” the jury makes.

Closing Arguments: Defense

1:44 p.m. Scarborough addressed the jury, telling them that the witnesses they heard from today said that “Coley McCraney still has value.” He spoke about the boy who was incarcerated with McCraney and how he helped him to God. “The choice you’re making is life or death,” Scarborough said. “As attorneys, our heart goes out to Ms. Beasley and Ms. Hawlett. My heart goes out to them because of the memories they’ve lost with their children. But taking a father away from his children doesn’t fix it.” Scarborough said that his children should have the opportunity to be in his children’s lives, “whatever that may look like.” He pointed out that McCraney does not have a prior criminal record. “That man has value...He has value to others. He can make good in other people’s lives. Allow him to continue to do that.” He asked the jury to “wholeheartedly consider the testimony today.” “Before you make your choice, consider the value that this man has to offer,” Scarborough finished.

e was very proud of her name, and would not deviate from using it. In fact, she would be quick to tell anyone who asked what the initials JB stood for, she would tell you firmly that it stands for JB only. She was a very strong willed person, even at a young age she was very proud of her name, and would not deviate from using it. In fact, she would be fast to tell anyone who asked what the initials JB stood for, she would quickly tell you that it stands for JB only. She was a very strong willed person, even at a young age and took a lot of pride in herself and everything she was involved with.

I totally agree it would be. I knew JB would get trashed; everyone suspected she would be. I don’t think anyone suspected a subtle degradation such as using an alias.

I am just hoping that the jury could feel the shallowness of it even if for just fraction of the amount that I felt reading it.

BTW…. Just as I thank everyone, I thank you for your caring focus

Justice On Folks!!!

Side Note: I don’t know if it shows in the limited press photos, but for McCraney having two pro-bono lawyers, they are bringing one heck of a support staff with them. If that is what they actually are. Often there are four “support“ members.
I have to pay my support staff no matter what I am pursuing. I have a vague suspicion there are some pockets involved, who and what unknown for now. Nothing truly is actually free.

Watch what comes after the trial folks. No matter the verdict
New here, but thought I'd share. For what it's worth defendants charged with capital murder in Alabama get an unlimited defense budget. No telling what Harrison and company will bill the state.

I'm a local and have been curious about this case for years. I'm very happy the family can get a little bit of "relief"..if that's the right word. Even with that satisfaction, I can't help but be sad regarding the loss of these two young girls. Maybe having a teenage daughter makes it hit that much harder these days. God Bless the families of the victims and may they find peace more and more each day.

For the court reporter to transcribe the preceeding wouldn't be cheap. Very expensive for whoever would want a copy. Just thought I'd share!
Oh yeah.... I wouldn't want to pay for it. LOL But I would definitely read it.

I'm a local and have been curious about this case for years. I'm very happy the family can get a little bit of "relief"..if that's the right word. Even with that satisfaction, I can't help but be sad regarding the loss of these two young girls. Maybe having a teenage daughter makes it hit that much harder these days. God Bless the families of the victims and may they find peace more and more each day.
I'm local as well. Nice to "meet" you and couldn't agree with your post more!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back