GUILTY AL - Kathleen "Kat" West, 42, murdered, Calera, 13 Jan 2018 *husband arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Re when trial will start ^^ I see he has a prelim hearing on March 21st. Maybe we'll find out more than.

Putting this one on my list to follow....

By the way - I spent all day catching on all the 660 posts. Okay - I did skip a few....

I can't believe his lawyer is saying he was asleep.... as some of you said, it was probably alcohol fueled!

Yeah the preliminary hearing was scheduled for the 21st, but from what I understand from that article bc the indictment was handed down, the hearing won't happen now. Maybe PrarieWind can help enlighten us on indictment vs hearings.

Yeah the preliminary hearing was scheduled for the 21st, but from what I understand from that article bc the indictment was handed down, the hearing won't happen now. Maybe PrarieWind can help enlighten us on indictment vs hearings.

Typically state prosecutors can bring charges in two ways. He can file an Information with the Court which is the charging documents. The defendant is arrested, if not already, and Arraigned (enters guilty or not guilty plea). Then the will have to be a preliminary hearing or probably cause hearing. There is sort of a mini-trial and the prosecutor must present just enough evidence to convince the judge that there is probable cause for the cause to proceed. The defense can defend at the preliminary hearing. Often preliminary hearings are waived by the defendant. The prosecutor can also bring charges by presenting evidence to a grand jury. This is done in secret and the defense is not allowed to attend or even know what goes on. If the grand jury finds probably cause of the crime they return a "true bill" or a "no bill" if they don't find probably cause. Then this "true bill" is turned into an Indictment that is the charging document filed with the court. Since the grand jury has already found probably cause, no preliminary hearing is required. In this case the DA used a grand jury. Typically prosecutors prefer informations because its just easier and cheaper than impaneling a grand jury. The defense attorney is insinuating that the DA is afraid to have his evidence challenged in a preliminary hearing. Its probably just blustering on the part of the defense attorney.

FYI, in the federal systems, charging by Information is not allowed and all charges must be brought through a grand jury.

Typically state prosecutors can bring charges in two ways. He can file an Information with the Court which is the charging documents. The defendant is arrested, if not already, and Arraigned (enters guilty or not guilty plea). Then the will have to be a preliminary hearing or probably cause hearing. There is sort of a mini-trial and the prosecutor must present just enough evidence to convince the judge that there is probable cause for the cause to proceed. The defense can defend at the preliminary hearing. Often preliminary hearings are waived by the defendant. The prosecutor can also bring charges by presenting evidence to a grand jury. This is done in secret and the defense is not allowed to attend or even know what goes on. If the grand jury finds probably cause of the crime they return a "true bill" or a "no bill" if they don't find probably cause. Then this "true bill" is turned into an Indictment that is the charging document filed with the court. Since the grand jury has already found probably cause, no preliminary hearing is required. In this case the DA used a grand jury. Typically prosecutors prefer informations because its just easier and cheaper than impaneling a grand jury. The defense attorney is insinuating that the DA is afraid to have his evidence challenged in a preliminary hearing. Its probably just blustering on the part of the defense attorney.

FYI, in the federal systems, charging by Information is not allowed and all charges must be brought through a grand jury.

Are there rules regarding release of court documents before trial? Basically, I'm asking when might we (the public) see more evidence/info, or is it likely we won't?

The prosecutor could release some information about what his evidence is but he doesn't have to. He does of course have to give everything to the defense, and they could release it as well. But not having a preliminary hearing deprives us of a good chance to see some of the State's case. So we may not get to know a whole lot until trial.

Early on in this case, some folks her saw some of Jeff's social media posts. Wasn't he saying or insinuating then that her death was a drunken accident? That will come back to bite him if now he is saying he was asleep and someone else murdered her.

The prosecutor could release some information about what his evidence is but he doesn't have to. He does of course have to give everything to the defense, and they could release it as well. But not having a preliminary hearing deprives us of a good chance to see some of the State's case. So we may not get to know a whole lot until trial.

Early on in this case, some folks her saw some of Jeff's social media posts. Wasn't he saying or insinuating then that her death was a drunken accident? That will come back to bite him if now he is saying he was asleep and someone else murdered her.

I hope the defense doesn't go 'OJ Simpson' on us because of some stupid technicality. How would you even explain that to your daughter when she comes to visit in the penitentiary and starts asking questions about what happened that night?

The defense will get all information in the discovery process.

But the prosecutor will probably give them 20% actual evidence and 80% motive due to her online job. Jmo

Wednesday, March 21st:
*Prelim Hearing (@ CT) – AL – Kathleen West (42) (Jan. 13, 2018) – William Jeffrey West (44) arrested (2-22-18) and indicted (3-2-18) with murder. Held on $500K bond.

Anyone has a link to court dockets? Or an update on this?

TIA! :wave:

Thanks for the updates all! Much appreciated.

The defense is trying to sell husband was asleep scenario, and his FB friend claims terrible boozy accident. I say vicious crime of passion. Patiently waiting for mic drop evidence.

Monday, April 9th:
*Bond Reduction Hearing (@ 1:30pm CT) - AL - Kathleen Dawn "Kat" West (42) (Jan. 12, 2018) - William Jeffrey West (44) (husband) arrested (2/22/18) and indicted (3/7/18) with murder. Held on $500K bond.
The bond reduction hearing is set for 1:30 p.m. on April 9.

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2018/04/kat_west_death_husband_jeff_we.html

This breaks my heart. Kathleen's mom is standing by Jeff West and refusing to believe he's guilty. She's stated that her daughter was an alcoholic and bi-polar. But the prosecutors stated that the absinthe bottle had Kat's blood on it and the only set of finger prints on the bottle were Jeff Wests. So they are maintaining that Kat died from a fall. This can't explain the blood on the bottle, the fact that the bottle was found upright on top of a cell phone or the fact that JW didn't seem upset at all when he was told his wife was dead.

I just don't want Kat's mother to be heart broken a second time. She's already lost her daughter and now if she finds out that the man she's standing up for is her killer I imagine that would pain her a lot.

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2018/04/kat_west_death_husband_jeff_we.html

This breaks my heart. Kathleen's mom is standing by Jeff West and refusing to believe he's guilty. She's stated that her daughter was an alcoholic and bi-polar. But the prosecutors stated that the absinthe bottle had Kat's blood on it and the only set of finger prints on the bottle were Jeff Wests. So they are maintaining that Kat died from a fall. This can't explain the blood on the bottle, the fact that the bottle was found upright on top of a cell phone or the fact that JW didn't seem upset at all when he was told his wife was dead.

I just don't want Kat's mother to be heart broken a second time. She's already lost her daughter and now if she finds out that the man she's standing up for is her killer I imagine that would pain her a lot.

Wow, her mom's remarks are pretty harsh

Both mothers - who said they are now "attached at the hip" said Kat West's blood-alcohol level was extremely high at the time of her death. Neither believe her online exhibitionism was a factor in her death.

"He wasn't jealous, he knew she was sick and needed the attention," Carolyn West said.

Nancy Martin said she was not aware of that part of her daughter's life until after her death, but said she was not surprised. She said Kat was very insecure and always had been.

"She wanted everyone to think she was beautiful," Martin said.

Martin said nothing could make her think Jeff West is guilty. If there was video of the death showing him killing her, she would think it was doctored.

BBM

Sounds like Kathleen's mom is a little in denial. JMO

ETA: Photo of her mom and husband's mom at the link.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste
Back