AL - Mass shooting at teen’s birthday party, 20 + shot, 4 + dead, Dadeville, 14 Apr 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I can't think of a rivalry that extreme in that area. I know there was some teen shootings in opelika a few months ago and am wondering if this is related. It sounds like maybe the shooter (s) weren't strangers at the party though

Now you have me wondering if it’s related, Opelika is only a short drive on 280, kids in small towns close by cross paths through relatives or school activities, or just riding around out of boredom and meeting up which has long been a custom among teenagers in small towns.
It looks like the Opelika cases started out in 2022 as a typical teenage feud that escalated when guns were brought into the situation, at least until you see in one case where they caught the perps a 20 year old was with the kid.
This “teen feud” has been going on over a year!
I guess parents can’t keep their guns away from teens, they can’t even seem to keep them away from toddlers.
Jmo

Teen killed as violent feud escalates between two groups in Opelika

The feud between two groups of teens that’s sparked at least eight shootings since February [2022] has turned deadly, just as Opelika police feared it would.

Opelika police arrested two people in Morgan’s shooting. Twenty-year-old Eric Stenson Jr. from Auburn, AL, and a 16-year-old juvenile are charged with attempted murder. Their charges will likely be upgraded to murder.

The first shooting was reported on February 20th [2022]. Five teens between 16 and 18 were arrested on various gun charges. The feud settled for a few months.

Then, on July 8th, three 16-year-olds were arrested for shooting into an occupied dwelling and other charges but not before getting into a vehicle chase with police.

Another three shootings were reported in July with no arrests, with shots fired into homes.

Another shooting was reported Sunday, August 28th, with two 16-year-olds and a 17-year-old arrested for shooting into an occupied dwelling

Following Morgan’s death Opelika had two shootings, one deadly. The first shooting on Saturday. A man, suffering from a gunshot wound, died at the scene. The suspect(s) left before the officers’ arrival. The shooting is under investigation. Police don’t know if it’s related to the feud or not.

Then, eight hours later, another shooting with non-life-threatening injuries. This happened in the area where previous shootings related to the feud have occurred.

Two teens wounded in Saturday Opelika shooting
Feb. 12, 2023

Last edited:
I understand and I'm devastated for you and others in your country. I truly am. But I am limited in what I am allowed to say.
I'm Canadian and we just can't relate to these mass killings south of the border.
I completely understand. Hopefully you and your country will NEVER have to deal with this nightmare..........

'This is going to be a long, complicated process,' ALEA spokesman Sgt. Jeremy Burkett told reporters, adding that the scene is still being processed and that a methodical investigation will be conducted.

Neither Burkett nor other officers present provided any update as to a suspect, and would not reveal whether any arrests had been made.

The town's police department, meanwhile, revealed Sunday that they had already handed the investigation to the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency, due to the magnitude and possible implications of the death investigation.

Third victim named is Siah Collins

This article actually mentions Opelika.

Ashley Hill, a resident of Opelika, traveled to downtown Dadeville along with two other women upon hearing about the shootings, in an attempt to ascertain the safety of a family friend.

He said the party paused when someone with a gun was turned away. An hour later, Cooper said, gunfire rang out, and he grabbed as many teenagers as he could, about five, and had them hit the ground.

Keenan Cooper was the DJ at the birthday party. He said he believes around 40 or 50 people were in attendance when the shooting happened.
It wasn't anything you could pretty much see because the lights were off. They mentioned someone had a gun. They stopped the party for a second, asked them to leave, nobody left and the party continued," he said.
An hour later the shooting began.

So there were 40-50 kids at the party and around 34 were killed or injured… what an absolute travesty, so many families affected and those young people seeing things they should never see. Heartbreaking.

The suspect responsible for the recent Alabama mass shooting is no longer a threat to the community, cops have claimed - as witness accounts from those who attended the deadly Dadeville party continue to shed light on what happened.

He said the party paused when someone with a gun was turned away. An hour later, Cooper said, gunfire rang out, and he grabbed as many teenagers as he could, about five, and had them hit the ground.

Keenan Cooper was the DJ at the birthday party. He said he believes around 40 or 50 people were in attendance when the shooting happened.

An hour later the shooting began.
This is the most information I’ve seen, I hope the media interviews more people who were there, like parents, chaperones, security, because authorities aren’t telling us much of anything. Eyewitness accounts have said it sounded like multiple shooters but police have not used the plural or given any descriptions.
It looks like it’s possible the shooter(s) could have been gone by the time police arrived. Jmo

More from your link:

The mother was one of at least three parents present, Cooper said.
“The building was packed," he said.
Taylor said the event had chaperones and security.

[Alabama Law Enforcement Agency Sgt. Jeremy] Burkett has not shared any information about what led up to the shooting or whether any suspects were in custody, saying Sunday evening the situation was “fluid.”
He said early Sunday evening that investigators were still trying to account for everyone who had been at the party.

And your second link:
“I only tried to help who was in front of me, so I had a lot of people under the table and beside me trying to protect them," Cooper said. He added that "after everybody ran out, I made sure they were okay and that's when I came out and the police arrived."

*Audio is very low. Speaker talking about hospital transports and health care staff.

Last edited:

The suspect responsible for the recent Alabama mass shooting is no longer a threat to the community, cops have claimed - as witness accounts from those who attended the deadly Dadeville party continue to shed light on what happened.
So is the suspect in custody and/or did someone at the party shoot him? Which would explain the description of gunfire from multiple guns.
Why won’t they tell us?

So is the suspect in custody and/or did someone at the party shoot him? Which would explain the description of gunfire from multiple guns.
Why won’t they tell us?
I'm curious about that, as well. Perhaps the suspect(s?) are also injured and in the hospital and they haven't sorted out exactly who did what? Probably minors, but other than releasing names, why not reassure the community?

Knox identified the two remaining victims as Marsiah Emmanuel “Siah” Collins, 19, and Corbin Dahmontrey Holston, 23, of Dadeville.

Collins was a defensive end on Opelika High Schools 2021 football team and was pursuing a music career.

Holston graduated from Dadeville High School in 2018, according to social media posts.
*So both were older and not part of the high school scene and one has a firearms charge from last year.

On February 1st Deputy Mitchell arrested Corbin Dahmontrey Holston of Dadeville, Al for Attempting To Elude, Reckless Endangerment, And Possession Of Pistol Without A Permit. He was processed into the Coosa County Jail on a $6,500 bond.

eta:
Martin, who lives in Louisiana, said he learned early Sunday morning that Marsiah was one of the victims.

“From Saturday night, I didn’t sleep at all until midday yesterday, because I just couldn’t believe it. I still can’t believe it. I can’t accept it,” he said.

Martin said his son grew up in a two-parent household. Martin served in Iraq with the Marine Corps, graduated from Samford, and said Marsiah was a honor student.

“Everything I’ve done in my life was to show my son it can be done, and to give him a positive role model to follow,” he said. “There’s been some crap on Twitter trying to make my son look like a , because he was making a music video with a gun that wasn’t even real. They’re trying to make this narrative that he was a and was responsible for his own death. He didn’t know anything about no street life.”

“I’ll graduate from law school next year,” he said. “People say guns don’t kill people. If people kill people, and we have an influx of guns around this country, then we have a people problem. We have a problem with people having access to guns. I saw a picture of a bullet that went through the building. That gun had to be high caliber.”

Last edited:

I am not a subscriber on social media so I can't tell if kids who witnessed the shooting(s) are talking about it. Has anyone here read what they are saying as to number of shooters and if they know who the original kid with a gun was, who the mother told to leave???? JMO

Where do kids get guns? Why don’t people secure their weapons?Why did perp bring gun to party? Premeditation? I’m surprised there isn’t more info leaking out.
Edited (my original was argumentive, so I change it) We should not assume that the guns used in this shooting were legally registered guns. JMO

*Audio is very low. Speaker talking about hospital transports and health care staff.
Transcript of hospital press conference --

Good morning. Welcome, everybody, to Lake Martin Community Hospital here in Dadeville, Alabama. As you all know, this was the city that had a great tragedy over the weekend. The hospital has been available to help families, friends, as well as many of the shooting victims.

Lake Martin did have 15 patients come through here on, let’s see, that would have been Sunday morning early and part of Saturday night. We had 15 teenagers that came through our emergency room, all of which had sustained gunshot wounds. Of those 15, we were able to treat 6 patients successfully. Treat them here and discharge them.

As you know, Mother Nature wasn’t on our side over the weekend. We had some rough weather. We had 9 patients that we needed to transfer out. Some of those transfers were a little bit delayed because, as you know we have a helicopter pad, but we could not fly the helicopter due to inclement weather. So, as soon as the weather kinda subsided, we were able to get most of those people transferred on out.

Of those 9 that transferred to other places, 5 of those were in critical condition and 4 were stable. And all 9 were placed in other hospitals. They went to sister facilities. In the healthcare world, hospitals—we’re all brothers and sisters. All healthcare workers are brothers and sisters because we help each other. We sent people to Baptist South in Montgomery, to Piedmont, to University of Alabama, as well as Children's Hospital.

At this time, here at Lake Martin Community Hospital, we don’t have any of those patients. And no fatalities here at our hospital. The hospital’s role right now will be to take care of our staff. Ivy Creek Healthcare, that owns Lake Martin Community Hospital, is a rural health organization here in the south, and our job is going to be to take care of our staff. It’s very traumatic in the healthcare setting, in the emergency room setting, when you have one gunshot wound come through. But when you have 15, and they’re all teenagers, our staff has been through a lot. They stood up like troopers. They did a fantastic job. They are heroes. The rural hospitals are heroes in this situation and will continue to be, but our job now is going to be to take care of our staff and to take care of our beloved community, the families and the friends.

Many of our staff attended the vigil that we had here last night in Dadeville, reached out to lots of family members. Over behind you guys, there’s a building. This is where Ivy Creek Hospice is located, and we’re going to be doing free counseling all day for family members of the victims, for children at the high school, and for our staff members. We’re getting ready to go here in about 30 minutes and take a crew that we’re so grateful for from East Alabama Medical Center. They've volunteered many of their counselors. We have skilled counselors from our detox unit. We have clergy from our hospice, and we’re going to take all those people, set up so that people can come by and receive counseling, and also go over to the high school and extend open arms to those children that are gonna arrive today to a tragedy. Many of them were present last night, and they’re going to have a tough week. It’s going to be a tough graduating year.

Do you all have any questions?

Q: How many doctors and nurses were working on the patients?

A: That evening we had a good crew. We had activated our emergency crisis situation that we have – we activated that, and we had 20 to 25 people working diligently. And also, we had a lot of people working remotely. The weather wasn’t pretty. We had many of our people that had gone to different locations, and they were able to work remotely to guide the staff, to consult. So, we had a lot more than what was just physically present here.

Q: I know you mentioned it was traumatic with one gunshot wound but when you have 15 teenagers with gunshot wounds, the staff goes through a lot. Can you talk a little bit more about that? What they went through?

A: I’m very sure that it’s difficult. I haven’t talked to a lot of them because we’ve all been very, very busy, as you can imagine. I just got a phone call from a staff member – a night shift member – that is staying over this morning. They want to be the first one in for counseling. Just to see so many of our healthcare providers have their own children, and I think just knowing that could have just as easily been one of your own children or your children’s friends, hits so close to home. Lots of parents and grandparents, and aunts and uncles here that can really put themselves in those people’s shoes. And hey, Dadeville is a very small community. It was just really difficult because everybody knows everybody, and seeing people come through the emergency room that you know… I think it was just very difficult. And like I said, they handled it like troopers. Everything I’ve heard has been very positive. They’ve received accolades from all over the country. Outstanding performance by our healthcare providers.

Q: About how long will y’all be offering the counseling here and at other locations like the high school?

A: As long as they need it, and as long as they request it. We want to take care of our community. That’s something that Ivy Creek is known for. Lake Martin Hospital has always been a community hugger, as I call it. And we will be here for them as long as need us. Graduation is coming up next month and this is confirmed -- I talked to one of the teachers last night at the vigil, and of those that passed away, all were seniors. So, it’s going to be a tough time for graduation for these kids, and we will be here for them and their families for the duration.

Q: Is this something you guys prepare for or something that you’ve never prepared for?

A: You know, it’s kind of like any death. You can’t really prepare for it, but you do practice for it. Our hospitals do have mass shooting practices. We have scheduled those, and we have a pretend shooter and those kind of things, and practice emergencies and crisis where we have a lot of people come in. But I don’t think it’s anything that you’re ever really prepared for. But we certainly do practice things like this, and I feel like that’s probably why it was executed with such expertise and professionalism. Because we hope it never happens, but we do practice for these type things.
Excellent question.

Q: Regarding the shooter, we haven’t been given much information on that. Do you have any word on the shooter?

A: I do not. I absolutely don’t. We’re questioning, ourselves, and watching the news just like everybody else. We do not have any information.

If there’s no further questions, we’re going to get to taking care of our folks. And we appreciate all the professionalism and the patience that you all have shown to us.

Thank you.

Why won’t they tell us?
MOO, there isnt "a" suspect. I think there were multiple shooters and they are either deceased or, more likely in the hospital under police watch.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back