AL - Mass shooting at teen’s birthday party, 20 + shot, 4 + dead, Dadeville, 14 Apr 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I agree with all you said above but just to clarify what I said upthread........

When I references the innocence I had in my youth I was referring to the fact that at that time we didn't have this.....
"The US has suffered at least 162 mass shootings in the first 15 weeks of 2023, according to the Gun Violence Archive. That’s an average of more than 1.5 mass shootings every day so far this year."
Yes we had violent crime. But this gun violence, the mass shootings in our current society is beyond anything I could have imagined back then. The loss of lives, many of them children. I could not have imagined this in my worst nightmares.

Don't let someone else take away from the good memories of your childhood just because they may not have had happiness; their misery wasn't caused by your joy. You shouldn't have to feel guilty for being a happy kid, nor should you be made to think you're delusional for having good memories. Remembering those times of our lives that smacked of sweetness and contentment is just important as remembering how much maturing our society had yet to do, and to slap that away is just being mean for the sake of being mean.

Knox identified the two remaining victims as Marsiah Emmanuel “Siah” Collins, 19, and Corbin Dahmontrey Holston, 23, of Dadeville.

Collins was a defensive end on Opelika High Schools 2021 football team and was pursuing a music career.

Holston graduated from Dadeville High School in 2018, according to social media posts.
*So both were older and not part of the high school scene and one has a firearms charge from last year.

On February 1st Deputy Mitchell arrested Corbin Dahmontrey Holston of Dadeville, Al for Attempting To Elude, Reckless Endangerment, And Possession Of Pistol Without A Permit. He was processed into the Coosa County Jail on a $6,500 bond.

eta:
Martin, who lives in Louisiana, said he learned early Sunday morning that Marsiah was one of the victims.

“From Saturday night, I didn’t sleep at all until midday yesterday, because I just couldn’t believe it. I still can’t believe it. I can’t accept it,” he said.

Martin said his son grew up in a two-parent household. Martin served in Iraq with the Marine Corps, graduated from Samford, and said Marsiah was a honor student.

“Everything I’ve done in my life was to show my son it can be done, and to give him a positive role model to follow,” he said. “There’s been some crap on Twitter trying to make my son look like a , because he was making a music video with a gun that wasn’t even real. They’re trying to make this narrative that he was a and was responsible for his own death. He didn’t know anything about no street life.”

“I’ll graduate from law school next year,” he said. “People say guns don’t kill people. If people kill people, and we have an influx of guns around this country, then we have a people problem. We have a problem with people having access to guns. I saw a picture of a bullet that went through the building. That gun had to be high caliber.”
Thank you for this long informative post @imstilla.grandma I gave it a Like, tho I also wanted to give a Sad face and all sorts, couldn't decide.

I got teary-eyed reading what Marsiah's father wrote about him. MOO IMO it's good to have that quotation from the father down at the end of your post. I don't think we are allowed to say anything like that here because of the controversy around that whole topic, but when a grieving loved one says it, then that has added meaning anyway. It's there. We read it. Everybody can agree or not agree in their head. I'm glad it's there. MOO

Edited (my original was argumentive, so I change it) We should not assume that the guns used in this shooting were legally registered guns. JMO
Alabama does not require a license to purchase or own a gun. They do not require a waiting period.

Alabama does not require registering your gun in any way.

As of January of 2023, AL became the first state to allow concealed carry without a permit or background check. I posted this article earlier in the thread as well.

Alabama does not require a license to purchase or own a gun. They do not require a waiting period.

Alabama does not require registering your gun in any way.

As of January of 2023, AL became the first state to allow concealed carry without a permit or background check. I posted this article earlier in the thread as well.

Thanks for the clarification. I did not realize that. That boggles my mind.

MOO, there isnt "a" suspect. I think there were multiple shooters and they are either deceased or, more likely in the hospital under police watch.
I agree. I've been wondering since yesterday if there were multiple shooters. It's possible that when the gun fire started there were others in the group that were armed and returned fire trying to take down the original shooter. This is all JMO

I don't think ABCNews reported this correctly.
Al.Com reports the same.

A change in Alabama law that was a decade in the making starts today: No permit is required to carry a concealed handgun or to carry one in a vehicle.

The Legislature passed a bill to repeal the permit requirement in March and it takes effect with the start of the new year. The bill had previously failed year after year, partly because of opposition from the Alabama Sheriffs Association.

Sheriffs said the requirement for a permit and a background check was a safeguard for the public and for law enforcement in a state with high levels of gun violence. Permit fees also help fund sheriffs’ operations.

Al.Com reports the same.

A change in Alabama law that was a decade in the making starts today: No permit is required to carry a concealed handgun or to carry one in a vehicle.

The Legislature passed a bill to repeal the permit requirement in March and it takes effect with the start of the new year. The bill had previously failed year after year, partly because of opposition from the Alabama Sheriffs Association.

Sheriffs said the requirement for a permit and a background check was a safeguard for the public and for law enforcement in a state with high levels of gun violence. Permit fees also help fund sheriffs’ operations.
I know Wyoming hasn't required a permit to carry concealed for several years. You just have to meet all the requirements.

Some of the reasons we may not have all the answers we want right now:
We have 28 injured, some critically, and 4 dead.
Over half the people attending the party were shot. This indicates that either automatic weapons were used and/or there were multiple shooters.
The dead cannot speak for themselves and it is likely that medical staff will not allow LE to interview those in critical condition even if they are able to speak.
Some victims were transferred from one hospital to another. This added to the confusion as to why some people were having problems locating their loved ones.
The location was very dark. This contributes to the fact that witnesses may not be able to give clear accounts of what happened.
Ballistics analysis with that many victims shot and the number of shots fired will take time to complete. Where was everyone standing when they were hit by gunfire? Which direction did it come from? How many types of bullets have been recovered thus far?
There was information that someone had a gun and was asked to leave. Did people know there was trouble brewing?
Why was a 23 year old at a 16 year olds birthday party?
How many people ran during the confusion? Have they been identified?
This investigation has a tremendous amount of moving parts. Some folks were calling foul and coverup less than 24 hours after this horrific incident occurred. Maybe LE didn’t answer all questions because they didn’t know the answers and wanted to be sure they were giving factual information as they knew it at the time.
And if you think everyone that was involved and everyone that was there at the time are just going to come in and sit down with LE to give them the whole story, I have a bridge to sell you.

Over half the people attending the party were shot. This indicates that either automatic weapons were used and/or there were multiple shooters.
The dead cannot speak for themselves and it is likely that medical staff will not allow LE to interview those in critical condition even if they are able to speak.
Some victims were transferred from one hospital to another. This added to the confusion as to why some people were having problems locating their loved ones.
The location was very dark. This contributes to the fact that witnesses may not be able to give clear accounts of what happened.
Ballistics analysis with that many victims shot and the number of shots fired will take time to complete. Where was everyone standing when they were hit by gunfire? Which direction did it come from? How many types of bullets have been recovered thus far?
There was information that someone had a gun and was asked to leave. Did people know there was trouble brewing?
This investigation has a tremendous amount of moving parts. Some folks were calling foul and coverup less than 24 hours after this horrific incident occurred. Maybe LE didn’t answer all questions because they didn’t know the answers and wanted to be sure they were giving factual information as they knew it at the time.
And if you think everyone that was involved and everyone that was there at the time are just going to come in and sit down with LE to give them the whole story, I have a bridge to sell you.
Unfortunately a small town PD not providing everything to media is reported as they are incompetent and/or corrupt. It is sad.
This was i am sure a chaotic scene and mixed reports are abundant. But I am also certain that there are plenty who know what this was all about. But that doesn't mean they are giving that information to Law Enforcement.

Sweet Sixteen parties are a really big thing in some cultures, like the quinceanera in the Hispanic community, so that person might very well have been a sibling, cousin, family friend, or even an employee of the venue. That in itself does not mean anything untowards or inappropriate, unless we find out more.

BBM. This news article said he was there because he was worried there would be "trouble." LE is being very tight-lipped about what his worry was based upon. This article also has a tip line:

Sweet Sixteen parties are a really big thing in some cultures, like the quinceanera in the Hispanic community, so that person might very well have been a sibling, cousin, family friend, or even an employee of the venue. That in itself does not mean anything untowards or inappropriate, unless we find out more.
So true.

BBM. This news article said he was there because he was worried there would be "trouble." LE is being very tight-lipped about what his worry was based upon. This article also has a tip line:

The sad thing is that it appears several people were aware that there was going to be trouble and knew that at least one gun was brought to the party. What could have been done to prevent what followed?

Latest update:

**Dadeville Shooting Third Update**

The Alabama Law Enforcement Agency (ALEA) has confirmed that the total number of injuries has increased to 32 individuals injured during the shooting, which occurred at approximately 10:34 p.m. near the 200 Block of Broadnax Street in Dadeville, located in Tallapoosa County. The number of deceased individuals remains at four.

On Sunday, April 16, Special Agents with ALEA’s State Bureau of Investigation (SBI), along with local and federal partners, established a Command Post at the Tallapoosa County Courthouse in Dadeville. Subsequently, they launched an extensive investigation using all available resources to process the scene.

After conducting a preliminary analysis of the evidence at the scene, as well as reviewing the information that has been received so far, Special Agents are still in the process of gathering and examining information relative to the sequence of events which ultimately led to the shooting. Special Agents did not recover any high-powered rifle ammunition at the scene; however, they did recover numerous shell casings used in handguns. Investigators are still processing all of the evidence, in conjunction with completing interviews, in an effort to solidify a motive and potential suspects.

ALEA is asking for the public’s assistance in this case. If you or anyone you know has information regarding this incident, please contact SBI’s Crime information hotline at 1-800-392-8011 or email at sbi.investigations@alea.gov or contact Central Alabama Crime Stoppers at 1-833-AL1-STOP or at www.215stop.com.

ALEA’s Fusion Center has also partnered with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Mobile Office to provide a digital tip line for videos and photos related to the incident. Those files may be uploaded at: FBI — Seeking information on the 15 April Dadeville Shooting.

Also, if you have information for the 5th Circuit District Attorney’s Office concerning the incident or need to provide information to the individuals or families concerning victim services, please visit: District Attorney for Alabama's 5th Circuit.

Nothing further is available as the investigation is ongoing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back