GUILTY AL - Natalie, 5, & Jonathan DeBlase, 3, beaten, poisoned, Mobile, 1 March 2010

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Christian Jennings ‏@Christian_WPMI 49m49 minutes ago

11 voted for death, 1 for life. #HeatherKeatonTrial

Christian Jennings ‏@Christian_WPMI 44m44 minutes ago

If the judge upholds the jury's recommendation, Keaton will be the first woman from Mobile county ever sent to death row.

Christian Jennings ‏@Christian_WPMI 31m31 minutes ago

DA Ashley Rich gets emotional during interview following verdict. Hear from her and the defense tonight at 5.

Christian Jennings ‏@Christian_WPMI 22m22 minutes ago

The judge will sentence Keaton August 20th

i am just crying my eyes out :heartbeat: finally justice for these babies, finally...........both the "father" and "stepmother".........juries saw fit to sentence them both to death........i pray this judge sees fit to uphold this recommendation and sentence her to death and she can then join her husband on death row..............:rose: :rose:

-74d869bc2f88e085.jpg

natalie and chase, sister and brother, forever together united in heaven :rose: :rose:

lovingly thinking of you both...august 20th will be here soon :heartbeat:

i know it's after the fact.........

but here's an excellent summary of closings this morning............

http://www.wkrg.com/story/29216307/jury-likely-to-recommend-keaton-sentence-today

some of the prosecution:

“Terror, sheer terror for Chase DeBlase, he can't scream for help he has a sock in his mouth,” said Rich. “Cruel is someone who knows a child is suffering and dying because they have antifreeze in their body. Cruel is someone who does nothing to get that child help.” Rich said Keaton didn't get help because she wanted Chase to die. The District Attorney said it is preposterous that Heather Keaton was held in control by John DeBlase. She said Keaton had many times to leave or get help.

“This is what the trial is really about, these tiny hands and Chase's tiny feet and tiny body,” said Rich. Rich said Keaton watched and allowed his body to shut down as he was poisoned. “Heather Keaton went further, took that suffering body and tried to control it even further.” Rich said there's evidence of antifreeze, duct tape and a broom stick in evidence testimony. To drive the point home Rich keeps pulling repeatedly at the duct tape simulating the last sounds Chase heard.

some of the defense:

“All the mitigating factors from the beginning to now mean Heather Keaton deserves life in prison without parole,” said Hughes. “We wanted you to have some insight into Heather Keaton and how she came to be here before you. We think these circumstances show why she should not be put to death.” Hughes points out that Keaton has no prior history of criminal activity. Although the same could be said for John DeBlase last year.

“She was always unable to develop interpersonal relationship with other people,” said Vollmer. “She's not a malingerer, she doesn't know any other way to live.” Much like the defense in John DeBlase's trial, the defense here is trying to put the blame on the codefendant. Vollmer claims John DeBlase was the first person in Heather's life to treat her like an adult. He questions the use of a broomstick and antifreeze in the courtroom.

“Why is this here, it's not evidence, it's designed to evoke your emotions,” said Vollmer. “She'll never breathe free air, she'll never take a shower without permission.” He says there was a pattern of abuse of Natalie and Chase long before Heather Keaton ever got there.
----------------
much more at link

i'll post stories from all my links i've saved late tonight or in the morning so they will be completed updated.........and then i'll archive the links for easy access here on the thread for the 8/20 sentencing date...........

be back later

natalie and chase :heartbeat:

RIP Chase and Natalie! Lets hope the judge upholds the recommendation!

This is a local case for me. But, this is the first time I've come to this thread. It is just all too much for me. I can't even watch it on the local news. It just really, really gets to me. It's every bit a tragedy. Heartbreaking; and my heart is pretty tough.

Thank you for all the info. Queen Bee.

RIP, sweet babies.

UPDATE: Jury Recommends Death Penalty for Heather Keaton

(snip)
11 jurors voted for the death penalty, and one juror voted for life in prison. The jury did not have to be unanimous.

The jury deliberated for less than an hour.

The jury foreman started crying when she read the verdict aloud.

District Attorney Ashley Rich says this has been the longest criminal case in the county's history. The case took six weeks including jury selection.

"From the very moment we heard about the facts and circumstances surrounding these children's deaths, we were looking to this day to hopefully convict Heather Keaton and John DeBlase both of capital murder and have them both sentenced to death," said Rich. "So today is a conclusion to five years that we've been working toward providing justice for these babies.
-----------
more at link http://www.local15tv.com//shared/ne...nalty-heather-keaton-20884.shtml#.VW76xEZntL8

Jury's decision could make Heather Keaton first Mobile County woman sentenced to death

It took jurors a quick 30 minutes on Tuesday to recommend that Heather Leavell-Keaton be sentenced to death for the murder of 3-year-old Chase DeBlase, capping an exhausting six-week-long capital murder trial.

(snip)
Wiping back tears, the characteristically unflappable Mobile County District
Attorney Ashley Rich told reporters that the verdict concluded five years that the office has worked towards "providing justice for these babies."

"A death penalty verdict is never personally gratifying," Rich said. "A death penalty verdict was appropriate in this case and the jury did what was appropriate given the heinous, atrocious and cruel acts committed against Chase DeBlase and Natalie DeBlase."
-----------much more at link http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index.ssf/2015/06/jury_recommends_heather_keaton.html

MOBILE, AL (WALA) - Heather Keaton could soon become the first woman from Mobile County every sentenced to the death penalty.
That was the jury's recommendation after deliberating for only 30 minutes Tuesday.

Keaton showed no emotion as the jury foreman read the decision.

(snip)
"By there verdict they found that unanimously, and then they returned the death penalty, and that's what this case deserved. I mean when you look at this capital case compared to other capital cases there is no doubt. You in the media you see the work that we do down here, and all the capital cases," Rich said.

Rich had to stop talking as the tears came.

Assistant District Attorney Jennifer Wright finished as Rich gained her composure.

"It's been an emotional ride for all of us down here, an emotional journey. We've been with this case for a long time, for five years we've been fighting for justice for these children and so this is kind of the end of the journey for us," Wright said

Keaton's lawyers apparently left through a back exit without talking to reporters. A man who said he was keaton's uncle was also in the courtroom . He did not want to comment either.

Read more: http://www.fox10tv.com/story/29218476/keaton-jury-ready-to-deliberate#ixzz3c0MV8E8w

sentencing for heather keaton........august 20th.........1:30 cst

i'll be right here, god willing, natalie and chase and praying that this jury's recommendation is upheld for death......this monster deserves nothing less......

rest easy sweet babies, justice has been a long time coming and now the end is finally in sight.........

:rose: natalie.........gone too soon
:rose: chase...........gone too soon
:rose: strength to those that love them

:heartbeat: :heartbeat:

Justice for Natalie and Chase. Rest in peace x

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads