AL - No exceptions for rape, incest as Alabama Senate passes near-total abortion ban

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

blankenship

Reaction score
Alabama Senate passes near-total abortion ban

(CNN) Alabama sent the most restrictive abortion bill in the country to the governor's desk Tuesday night, with the state's Senate passing legislation that could punish doctors who perform abortions with life in prison.

The state's Republican backers have pushed the legislation, which amounts to a near-total ban on abortion in the state, forward with the express goal of overturning Roe v. Wade, the Supreme Court case legalizing abortion. Alabama lawmakers join legislators in several other states in putting forth legislation to restrict abortion, such as Georgia's recent fetal heartbeat bill.
After more than four hours of debate, the Republican-led Senate voted 25-6 to pass HB 314, which would slap doctors with up to 99 years in prison for performing an abortion. The Alabama House passed the bill earlier this month.

more here: Alabama Senate passes near-total abortion ban - CNNPolitics

Alabama Senate passes near-total abortion ban

(CNN) Alabama sent the most restrictive abortion bill in the country to the governor's desk Tuesday night, with the state's Senate passing legislation that could punish doctors who perform abortions with life in prison.

The state's Republican backers have pushed the legislation, which amounts to a near-total ban on abortion in the state, forward with the express goal of overturning Roe v. Wade, the Supreme Court case legalizing abortion. Alabama lawmakers join legislators in several other states in putting forth legislation to restrict abortion, such as Georgia's recent fetal heartbeat bill.
After more than four hours of debate, the Republican-led Senate voted 25-6 to pass HB 314, which would slap doctors with up to 99 years in prison for performing an abortion. The Alabama House passed the bill earlier this month.

more here: Alabama Senate passes near-total abortion ban - CNNPolitics

Doesn't that mean that abortion is still legal prior to the detection of a heartbeat, and prior to 6 weeks gestation? Doesn't this mean that women have to pay more attention to their bodies and use early pregnancy detection tests to address unwanted pregnancies? Is that a completely unacceptable option? On the surface, it looks like regulation that women have to make up their minds about the pregnancy within 6 weeks of conception rather than 20 weeks.

Doesn't that mean that abortion is still legal prior to the detection of a heartbeat, and prior to 6 weeks gestation? Doesn't this mean that women have to pay more attention to their bodies and use early pregnancy detection tests to address unwanted pregnancies? Is that a completely unacceptable option? On the surface, it looks like regulation that women have to make up their minds about the pregnancy within 6 weeks of conception rather than 20 weeks.
If only someone, man, woman anybody would just invent contraception that was legal to prevent these inconveniences for people so they don't have to kill a human fetus. One day, my friends, one day. The good Lord willing. MOO!!

If only someone, man, woman anybody would just invent contraception that was legal to prevent these inconveniences for people so they don't have to kill a human fetus. One day, my friends, one day. The good Lord willing. MOO!!

Unfortunately, those contraceptions are not 100% effective. And providers are not doing a good enough job of educating their patients on exceptions like if you are taking the pill and have to go on antibiotics that the antibiotics make the pill less effective so you need to use another form of contraception.

And in the cases of rape, I do not believe that contraception is even a thought beyond how it might help not leave DNA.

Terrible.
Why is it that a bunch of MEN make these laws for women?

My standard statement to each one of them:
"When you are 18 years old and you just got a full scholarship to a good university, and you get pregnant, come see me -- THEN we'll talk."
or
"When your 15 year old daughter comes to you, crying, and says, 'Daddy, I'm pregnant,' come see me. THEN, we'll talk."

Dammit.

Most women are only a bit suspicious when their monthly period is only two weeks late -- you have very few, if any, symptoms -- other than a missing/late period at six weeks. And pregnancy tests can be hit-or-miss that early.

Six weeks is a totally ridiculous, impossible, and calculated time period. Why not 6 days?

We could discuss the larger principle, a woman's right to choose, and I could understand each side's argument (while supporting that unequivocal right to choose, always). But to include rape and incest? Like those two acts, this move on the legislature's part is about power - the power to degrade the body of a woman, and to deprive her of her ability to survive criminal acts. Absolutely murderous.

Unfortunately, those contraceptions are not 100% effective. And providers are not doing a good enough job of educating their patients on exceptions like if you are taking the pill and have to go on antibiotics that the antibiotics make the pill less effective so you need to use another form of contraception.

And in the cases of rape, I do not believe that contraception is even a thought beyond how it might help not leave DNA.

All prescription medication have a warning on the bottle and insert concerning birth control may not be effective. Folks have to step up to the plate and take responsibility and stop looking for ways to blame others. Imo

Imo, Its not a blame game, folks that are having sex, both male and female know the possible outcome, with a few exceptions for mental deficiency and incest.

Sex education is being taught at a very early age in school, and it is the parents responsibility to teach this, not the government.

All prescription medication have a warning on the bottle and insert concerning birth control may not be effective. Folks have to step up to the plate and take responsibility and stop looking for ways to blame others. Imo

Imo, Its not a blame game, folks that are having sex, both male and female know the possible outcome, with a few exceptions for mental deficiency and incest.

Sex education is being taught at a very early age in school, and it is the parents responsibility to teach this, not the government.

The problem is that Alabama's law does not allow for any exceptions, even incest.

We could discuss the larger principle, a woman's right to choose, and I could understand each side's argument (while supporting that unequivocal right to choose, always). But to include rape and incest? Like those two acts, this move on the legislature's part is about power - the power to degrade the body of a woman, and to deprive her of her ability to survive criminal acts. Absolutely murderous.

When a criminal act, rape takes place, that is the time to discuss the what if I am pregnant. It is the rape victims responsibility to follow up and monitor.

If I am attacked and have 10 stitches and the hospital tells me I must have them removed after 7 days and I don't. Who is responsible for my infection, the hospital, LE, the doctor????

They have a choice to be responsible, they can have an early abortion. the morning after pill is offered to most rape victims ....why wait til 6 months?????

Yes, IMO women have a choice. Many forms of birth control, morning after pill, and early term abortion.

The problem is that Alabama's law does not allow for any exceptions, even incest.

Yes, it does not outline incest, I just read the bill. A physician and/or psychiatrist can make the determination per the law to determine it is a detriment to the mental or physical health of the mother.

Most women are only a bit suspicious when their monthly period is only two weeks late -- you have very few, if any, symptoms -- other than a missing/late period at six weeks. And pregnancy tests can be hit-or-miss that early.

Six weeks is a totally ridiculous, impossible, and calculated time period. Why not 6 days?

In the 1980s, it took 6 weeks to confirm pregnancy. Today, it can be done much sooner. Rather than condemn the change, why not view it as a change that is fair and reasonable given modern medicine?

If a woman is 16 weeks pregnant and still doesn't know whether she wants to give birth, should she have another 4 weeks to think about it? At 23 weeks, a fetus is viable, known as a premie. Is it realistic for women to have 20 weeks to think about having a baby, or should they be able to make that decision in 6 weeks? It is a responsibility, but how much time is reasonable for a woman to think about terminating a pregnancy? Is it unreasonable that she is asked to make that decision prior to the occurrence of a fetal heartbeat at 6 weeks?

When a criminal act, rape takes place, that is the time to discuss the what if I am pregnant. It is the rape victims responsibility to follow up and monitor.

If I am attacked and have 10 stitches and the hospital tells me I must have them removed after 7 days and I don't. Who is responsible for my infection, the hospital, LE, the doctor????

They have a choice to be responsible, they can have an early abortion. the morning after pill is offered to most rape victims ....why wait til 6 months?????

Yes, IMO women have a choice. Many forms of birth control, morning after pill, and early term abortion.

This law will not allow abortion under any circumstances.

In the 1980s, it took 6 weeks to confirm pregnancy. Today, it can be done much sooner. Rather than condemn the change, why not view it as a change that is fair and reasonable given modern medicine?

If a woman is 16 weeks pregnant and still doesn't know whether she wants to give birth, should she have another 4 weeks to think about it? At 23 weeks, a fetus is viable, known as a premie. Is it realistic for women to have 20 weeks to think about having a baby, or should they be able to make that decision in 6 weeks? It is a responsibility, but how much time is reasonable for a woman to think about terminating a pregnancy? Is it unreasonable that she is asked to make that decision prior to the occurrence of a fetal heartbeat at 6 weeks?

With both of my children I tested negative on home pregnancy tests until I was over 6 weeks pregnant. Also with both I had spotting at the time I would have normally had my period. My periods have never been regular and there are times that my cycles are 40-50 days, my longest being 58 days recently. With my history of not showing positive on home tests, do I need to go and have a doctor give me a pregnancy test every time I am more than a few days late?

Do people realize that most women are over 6 weeks pregnant when they find out they are pregnant.

BUT AGAIN, we are talking about Alabama that is outlawing any kind of abortion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roberts1979