AL AL - Sherry Milton, 26, Tuscaloosa, 14 Aug 2005

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Ok, some real inconsistencies here.
First: al.com reports on Fri. 8-26 that Police have identified Andrew Givens, 28, of Docena as a person of interest. He is not considered a suspect. This doesn't fit into with the later versions of events.

Second: postherald.com Charlie Hovell "She has no family but me," said Hovell, who also has four daughters of his own who are close to Milton, too.

When asked if Milton would disappear on her own, Hovell said she loves her son too much to do that. David, he said, is with his grandfather in Prattville.

Third: ledger-enquirer Milton's boyfriend, David Burt, last spoke to Milton about 10:30 p.m. the night she drove to Birmingham for a night out with a girlfriend.

Milton called Burt's cell phone about 10 times between 2 a.m. and 2:30 a.m. the next day, while she was in Birmingham. Burt said that on the last voice mail message she left him, Milton said: "Help me, please. Where are you? ... This is unbelievable."

Burt said he was sleeping when she called and didn't answer.

FourthMilton's girlfriend told Hovell and police they were driving home to Tuscaloosa on Interstate 20/59 when they decided to stop for matches at the gas station. The friend initially said Milton disappeared while she was inside the store.

But Hovell said two witnesses gave him a different version. They said Milton was begging her girlfriend to get in the car, but the girlfriend was mad and had called her husband to come get her, Hovell said.

and yet according to postherald.com

Milton's friend told him they were driving home on Interstate 20/59 in Milton's Ford Mustang when they exited in Ensley to get a book of matches.

They stopped at an Exxon service station near the exit ramp at 19th Street and Avenue V Ensley. Milton's friend went in to get the matches, but when she returned Milton and her yellow convertible were gone, Hovell said, recounting the story as it was told to him.

And yet, Hovell said Milton used her cell phone twice after she disappeared from the Ensley service station, calling her friend at the gas station to tell her she would return. Thirty minutes after she disappeared, Milton called a friend in Montgomery and said she was lost, Hovell said.

"It all doesn't add up," Hovell said. "I believe she was abducted at that store. Then someone made her call and tell her friend she was coming back."

Milton's friend called her husband, who drove to Ensley and brought her home. When Milton failed to return home Sunday morning, her friends drove back to Ensley to look for her. They filed a police report that night.

Boyfriend got all of these calls at 2-2:30 am and yet he wasn't looking for her the next AM?

mmilton said:
Sherry Milton is still missing and we are praying for her safe return. Our son, 9 year old David is living with me now. We are doing fair, just awaiting a safe return of his mom. I have known Sherry for about 15 years, married for 7, she is a great person and the best mother that any child could possibly ask for. This is definitely not normal for her and you are right the stories we are getting do not match up. I want to thank everyone for your concern and prayer.

We're still praying for her safe return. Give your son a hug.

Who is Andrew...the guy that the police want to talk to? How is he fitting into this picture? Is he someone the girls knew?

When people say one thing and then change their story it really raises red flags. If the girlfriends had an arguement and the one wanted to call her husband to come and get her....just say so. If the one girl went into the store and when she came out Sherry was gone...just say so.

Either of the girls smoke? If so and they needed matches I can see them pulling off and going to a store. One of the girls probably knew where the store was...maybe been there before.

I wonder if the cops have checked Sherry's cell phone records to see who she actually did call and what time the calls came through. Sherry could easily have gotten lost trying to find her way back to the freeway. Happens to me all the time when I go to strange places...seriously. Happened to me in a real rough area of Seattle WA. and even though I had 3 people with me I was scared to death.

I sure hope Sherry is found soon. Any strange fingerprints in her car? I would think if dopers got ahold of Sherry they would have taken her car. Those older Mustangs sell for quite a bit. Even parted out they could make enough to feed their habit a few times.

Bobbisangel said:
...Sherry could easily have gotten lost trying to find her way back to the freeway...
It happens to me in my own hometown. I am just thoroughly confused. If in fact the girlfriend wouldn't get back in the car and the gas station was truly open, why didn't Sherry ask the clerk for directions back to the Interstate? I know that is what I would do. Maybe, she thought that she could easily find her way to the Interstate because they are usually right by the gas stations although not always.

I myself get very disoriented during the day. I can well imagine how disoriented you could get at night. :eek:

If she was in a bad section of town and desperate, perhaps, she asked the wrong person for direction. I shudder when I think who is out at that hour.

There has not really been a search. The only one searching was Charlie Hovell and now he is gone back to South Alabama. The police in the area (Birmingham) are not doing a thing...Basically they are waiting for her to show up...And the media well they have ran it on a couple of news shows but that is about it. Not much coverage at all...

mmilton said:
There has not really been a search. The only one searching was Charlie Hovell and now he is gone back to South Alabama. The police in the area (Birmingham) are not doing a thing...Basically they are waiting for her to show up...And the media well they have ran it on a couple of news shows but that is about it. Not much coverage at all...
Can you contact news media like Nancy Grace and Greta Van Susteran? You could send them emails. I know that the hurricane is taking precedence and Greta is on location covering that. However, Nancy Grace may run something for you.

mmilton said:

Birmingham PD needs to get off of their azzes and start searching. Can't they see that something has happened to Sherry? Her car was discovered for pity sake. I wonder if they have even gone over the car for evidence? Have you talked to Birmingham PD? If you can't get anywhere with them go to their chief and if you don't make any progress there contact the Attorney General of your state.

Right now the hurricane disaster has 100% news coverage and next week it will be John Roberts appt for the Supreme Court. I think we could do with out watching that all week. He is either accepted or he isn't...they could tell us later. You may not be able to get any news coverage but the darn police are getting paid to do their job. This has to be so frustrating and such a helpless feeling. My heart goes out to you and your little boy.

mmilton said:
Do they tell you why they aren't looking for her? This just makes me sick! :banghead:

Jovin said:
Is it just me, or does there seem to be a real rise in missing young women lately?

There has been a drop in violent crime, since the late 1980's. I think you can look at the stats and find blips here and there, but murders aren't up recently.

Media outlets have realized this is a cash cow for them, and they report every single pretty missing woman in the country. Some show up at a friend's house, some don't reappear, and some are found murdered.

The stats aren't up. Only the media focus is up. So it seems like there is more crime.

Up until Hurricane Katrina hit the Gulf Coast, Charlie Hovell spent every day searching the streets of west Birmingham for Sherry Milton, a 26-year-old woman who disappeared there Aug. 14.
Hovell said Milton's adopted parents died four years ago and she became part of his family — a family devastated first by her disappearance and then by last week's hurricane.

After Katrina made landfall, Hovell said he went home to be with his wife and daughters in Calvert, a town north of Mobile.

But Hovell said he has not given up his search for Milton. He plans to return to the Birmingham area Friday, he said during a telephone interview.

"I call up there every day," said Hovell, who added that he has friends still searching for Milton while he is away. "But we haven't found one trace of her. It's like she just disappeared off the face of the Earth."

Hovell's daughter Tina Denton, 31, lost her new home in Pascagoula, Miss., and three rental homes to the hurricane. Katrina also destroyed the roof of his 29-year-old daughter Mandy Boswell's home in Hurley, Miss. And his youngest daughter, Kacie Hovell, a 21-year-old student at Tulane University, is looking for another college to attend while the New Orleans campus is closed.
http://www.postherald.com/me090805.shtml

This is such a sad case. The police are moving at a snail's pace, and probably realize she is no longer in this world. Still, there's just so many holes in the stories. You would think this would be a priority case, especially since her car was found, and her cellphone calls, asking for help.

I really wish there was more news on this case, I'd like to know more about this poi too. I feel so awful for her family and friends, especially her son..he must be devastated :-(

KatherineQ said:
There has been a drop in violent crime, since the late 1980's. I think you can look at the stats and find blips here and there, but murders aren't up recently.

Media outlets have realized this is a cash cow for them, and they report every single pretty missing woman in the country. Some show up at a friend's house, some don't reappear, and some are found murdered.

The stats aren't up. Only the media focus is up. So it seems like there is more crime.

Sorry, but whoever is doing those stats has their heads up there rears. They just want people to believe that there has been a drop. What I heard the other night was that violent crime is down except for RAPE. Don't believe everything that they throw out there. They want us to believe we live in a safer world now but it is a crook of poop.

I wonder what makes LE think this guy would know where Sherry is? Where did they get info about him after all of this time?

I've always wondered what the real story was with that girlfriend that Sherry was with that night. Her story never did ring true. I also wonder if LE finger printed Sherry's car.

I hope that they put that guy's picture on the media so that someone will identify him. Can't LE run his social security number to see where he works....if he does? Can't they run his name through DMV to see if he has a drivers license and a car? Credit cards? Cell phones? What makes it so hard to find him...I wonder.

If LE had got off of their butts right away they probably could have found Sherry. I wonder if her girlfriend was ever asked to take a lie detector test.
Someone knows where Sherry is or what happened to her darn it. Hopfully they can find this guy and he can shed some light on what happened to her.

It's just so sad how many missing people have just vanished into thin air. It just seems impossible that there are no leads on so many people.

It seems as though LE is dragging their feet on this one. It's so sad, given the fact she has a young son wanting his mommy home. Still, nothing. I don't think she's alive, but someone needs to be punished for this crime. I agree, about the girlfriend's story not fully truthful. I think if we prod the Birmingham PD enough, they will get moving.
Prayers for those that love her.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crunchy Riff
Back