GUILTY AL - Three dead, 3 injured in shooting at UAH, Amy Bishop charged

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
When this was announced on CNN a couple of hours ago, they said that the perpetrator is a female faculty member who was just denied tenure, but I have not been able to find anything stating this in print.

When this was announced on CNN a couple of hours ago, they said that the perpetrator is a female faculty member who was just denied tenure, but I have not been able to find anything stating this in print.

Authorities said a female faculty member during a Biology faculty meeting learned she would not receive tenure. She then pulled out a gun and started shooting...Police also have the alleged shooter's husband in custody. He has not been formally charged with anything. UA-Huntsville spokesman Ray Garner confirmed three people were shot and killed. Three others were wounded.
—http://www.wsfa.com/Global/story.asp?S=11978977

not really.
people tend to ignore the warning signs.

I've recently read gavin de becker's "the gift of fear". there are always warning signs - probably why they were trying to get rid of her in the first place.

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. - A biology professor was charged with murder late Friday in the shooting deaths of three colleagues at the campus.

Amy Bishop, a Harvard University-trained neuroscientist, was reportedly upset over being denied tenure.

Authorities say the researcher opened fire during an afternoon faculty meeting at the University of Alabama's Huntsville campus, killing the three colleagues and injuring three other school employees. Bishop has been charged with one count of capital murder, which means she could face the death penalty if convicted.

Gina Hammond, a UAH student, told WAFF that she lobbied the University of Alabama trustees to allow students with gun permits to carry their weapons on campus. She was turned down.

“I’m scared to go back to school,” Hammond said. “However, if they were to allow me to carry my pistol on campus, I would not be as scared.

“... I’m sorry that nobody in that room had a pistol to save at least one person’s life,” Hammond said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35372168/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

Amy Bishop charged with murder in UAH shooting
Bishop, 42, was taken Friday night in handcuffs from a police precinct to the county jail and could be heard telling TV reporters, "It didn't happen. There's no way .... they are still alive."
UAH President David Williams predicted in November 2008 that the couple's InQ device would "change the way biological and medical research is conducted."

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2010/02/amy_bishop_biology_professor_a.html

Humm, such a quite thread, considering the breadth of violence. I wonder why?

The student gun permit twist is interesting.

Amy Bishop charged with murder in UAH shooting
Bishop, 42, was taken Friday night in handcuffs from a police precinct to the county jail and could be heard telling TV reporters, "It didn't happen. There's no way .... they are still alive."
UAH President David Williams predicted in November 2008 that the couple's InQ device would "change the way biological and medical research is conducted."

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2010/02/amy_bishop_biology_professor_a.html

I'm wondering if she deliberately planned this and will now try to concoct an insanity defense.
Was she perhaps aware before the meeting took place of the probability of being denied tenure, or was the announcement totally unexpected? In the latter case, why would she bring a gun to the meeting, if she was expecting approval?

I haven't read anything that reliably points to her being aware beforehand, only speculative comments. Evidence of such awareness would be important in proving premeditation.

I'm local, and from what I have heard the University wasn't the only place she might have had problems......so I would think she would try the insanity defense...

It sounds like she just snapped. However, having a gun handy sure makes it look premeditated. I think she went in there prepared to kill them if they denied her. JMO

it would be interesting to know whether she was suppose to be at the meeting or if she just showed up with the intent.

I'm wondering if she deliberately planned this and will now try to concoct an insanity defense. There are reports that she basically knew months ago she would be denied tenure.

Exactly. Tenure isn't approved or denied in a roomful of other faculty, so she had probably just received the official letter.

She snapped. It happens. Academia has sharp edges. It will be interesting to learn why she was denied tenure, what with the university president having made great claims for her invention.

My prayers to the families involved in this horrible event. I can not understand these killings for the life of me. If you are despondent, kill yourself, don't take anyone elses life away! No one has that right!

It sounds like she just snapped. However, having a gun handy sure makes it look premeditated. I think she went in there prepared to kill them if they denied her. JMO

I don't think it shows she snapped at all. She was there in the morning then she returned around 4 pm and opened fire. Sounds totally premeditated to me. She brought the weapon with her because she had every intention of using it.

IMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velvetshadow
Back