GUILTY AL - Three dead, 3 injured in shooting at UAH, Amy Bishop charged

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm wondering if she deliberately planned this and will now try to concoct an insanity defense.
Was she perhaps aware before the meeting took place of the probability of being denied tenure, or was the announcement totally unexpected? In the latter case, why would she bring a gun to the meeting, if she was expecting approval?

I haven't read anything that reliably points to her being aware beforehand, only speculative comments. Evidence of such awareness would be important in proving premeditation.

I don't find her any different than other workplace shooters.

They always have their preconceived beliefs they have been wronged.

They say the death penalty can be brought in this case and imo it should be used due to the many victims she killed and the three others she tried to kill.

imo

Professor charged with murder: Did tenure pressure play a role?

A Harvard-trained neuroscientist known for her strong opinions allegedly shot and killed three colleagues after hearing for the second time that she was denied tenure at the University of Alabama in Huntsville.
“A person of her obvious talent and intelligence does not go around murdering someone,” writes commenter “Alabama Rooster” on the AL.com website, which represents major state papers in Alabama. “This is most bizarre and demands a lot of answers, not just about the shooting, but the climate at UAH which might lead to such a confrontation. There is something rotten here and it may be professional jealousy, which is rampant in the research and development community....egos awash with the possibility of $$$$$$.”

Excellent Christian Science Monitor article about pressures of achieving tenure:

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2010/0213/Professor-charged-with-murder-Did-tenure-pressure-play-a-role

The University of Alabama biology professor accused of slaying three of her colleagues fatally shot her brother in an apparent accident in Massachusetts more than two decades ago, a local police chief said.

Braintree Police Chief Paul Frazier confirmed the 1986 shooting in his town and slated a news conference this afternoon to discuss the incident.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/02/professor_accus.html

Wow, she really fixed that didn't she? She was upset because she didn't get tenure this time and so she made it where she'll NEVER get tenure.

My prayers go out to the people that were killed, injured, their loved ones and those that witnessed this attack.

The University of Alabama biology professor accused of slaying three of her colleagues fatally shot her brother in an apparent accident in Massachusetts more than two decades ago, a local police chief said.

Braintree Police Chief Paul Frazier confirmed the 1986 shooting in his town and slated a news conference this afternoon to discuss the incident.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/02/professor_accus.html
So she fatally shot her brother, it was deemed an accident, and I presume she never got any kind of punishment?

I don't think it shows she snapped at all. She was there in the morning then she returned around 4 pm and opened fire. Sounds totally premeditated to me. She brought the weapon with her because she had every intention of using it.

IMO

When I wrote that I thought the meeting was about her tenure and she snapped within milliseconds of finding out she didn't get the tenure.

So she fatally shot her brother, it was deemed an accident, and I presume she never got any kind of punishment?

It very well may have been an accident and the psychological scars were never adequately handled. JMO

Wow, she really fixed that didn't she? She was upset because she didn't get tenure this time and so she made it where she'll NEVER get tenure.

My prayers go out to the people that were killed, injured, their loved ones and those that witnessed this attack.

Yeah, I can't understand people like this. Even if they have no compunction about murder, you'd think the prospect of getting caught and getting a life sentence or death penalty would rein them in. Killing people because you're po'd about tenure sure isn't going to get you that tenure you wanted.

ETA: Wow, that article about her shooting her brother. Some are saying she was trying to learn how to use the gun and it went off and shot him. Others are saying there was an argument and she shot him on purpose, then ran outside and tried to carjack a passing car and had to be arrested at gunpoint. If the latter is true, hoo-boy. I was wondering how someone could get to the age of 42 without having any signs of being out of whack and then just suddenly go on a shooting rampage.

At an Academic Pressure Cooker, a Setback Turns Deadly, Officials Say
(New York Times)
On Friday, Ms. Bishop presided over her regular neuroscience class before going to a biology faculty meeting on the third floor of the Shelby Center for Science and Technology.

There she sat quietly for about 30 or 40 minutes, said one faculty member who had spoken to people who were in the room. Then Ms. Bishop pulled out a 9-millimeter handgun and began shooting, firing several rounds before her gun either jammed or ran out of ammunition, the police said. At least one person in the room tried to stop Ms. Bishop and prevent further bloodshed, said Sgt. Mark Roberts of the Huntsville Police Department.
The shootings opened a window into the pressure-cooker world of biotechnology start-ups, where scientists often depend on their association with academia for a leg up. Ms. Bishop was part of a start-up that had won an early round of financing in a highly competitive environment, but people who knew her said she had learned shortly before the shooting that she had been denied tenure at the university.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/14/us/14alabama.html

When I wrote that I thought the meeting was about her tenure and she snapped within milliseconds of finding out she didn't get the tenure.

It very well may have been an accident and the psychological scars were never adequately handled. JMO

Did you even read the link to the article about it?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100213/ap_on_re_us/us_ala_university_shooting

EXCERPT:
More than two decades ago, Amy Bishop fatally shot her teenage brother at their Massachusetts home in what police at the time logged as an accident — though authorities said Saturday that records of the shooting are missing.

She shot her brother, an 18-year-old accomplished violinist, in the chest, said Paul Frazier, the police chief in Braintree, Mass., where the shooting occurred. Bishop fired at least three shots, hitting her brother once and hitting her bedroom wall before police took her into custody at gunpoint, he said.

However, the police chief at the time told officers to release Bishop to her mother before she could be booked. At the time, it was logged as an accident.

I'd like to know who ordered her released back in 1986 without being booked. The current chief (Frazier) said it was the police chief at the time (John Polio), but he's denying it, says he "can't recall". He's also saying he forwarded the report to the DA at the time, who is now a U.S. congressman, William Delahunt.

Who removed the report from the files, and why?

Seems to me, while this Mass. coverup is interesting and says alot about her, it is pointless.

There is no statute of limitations for murder. But likely there is a statute of limitations for the cover up, if there is one. So, anyone who covered it up, is probably off the hook because of it. Is that right?

I guess she could be tried for the Mass. murder, but since there are no documents, no files and it is so long ago, the evidence for the murder of her brother will probably be very weak.

according to this article, Bishop had known for a while her tenure was denied

Bishop, 42, had just months left teaching at the University of Alabama in Huntsville when police said she opened fire Friday in a room filled with a dozen of her colleagues from the school's biology department. Bishop, a rare woman suspected in a workplace shooting, was to leave after this semester because she had been denied tenure.

Some have said she was upset after being denied the job-for-life security afforded tenured academics, and the husband of one victim and one of Bishop's students said they were told the shooting stemmed from the school's refusal to grant her such status. Authorities have refused to discuss a motive, and school spokesman Ray Garner said the faculty meeting wasn't called to discuss tenure.

William Setzer, chairman of chemistry department at UAH, said Bishop was appealing the decision made last year.

"Politics and personalities" always play a role in the tenure process, he said. "In a close department it's more so. If you have any lone wolves or bizarre personalities, it's a problem and I'm thinking that certainly came into play here."

more here in 2-page article

http://www.fox10tv.com/dpp/news/professor-rare-among-workplace-shooters

snipping from Texas Mist:

...school spokesman Ray Garner said the faculty meeting wasn't called to discuss tenure.

This does not make it so. School spokespersons serve the administration and the alleged "best interests" of the institution. While it may be so, it must not be accepted uncritically. It's a key point as, if the meeting had have been called especially to discuss her tenure, it might be said by defense counsel to have had the effect of embarrassing her in front of colleagues. Also, note that the spokesperson does not say that tenure was NOT discussed.

None of which, of course, explains what the shooter was doing there with a gun in the first place.

EXCERPT:
Before Bishop, who was 19 at the time, could be booked the police chief back then called officers and told them to release her to her mother, Frazier said. The shooting of the brother, Seth Bishop, an 18-year-old accomplished violinist, was logged that day as a "sudden death" and later considered accidental, but detailed records of the shooting have disappeared, Frazier said.

"The report's gone, removed from the files," he said.

The police chief said Saturday that he planned to meet with the local district attorney over the possibility of launching a criminal investigation into how the case was handled.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100214/ap_on_re_us/us_ala_university_shooting_brother

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100213/ap_on_re_us/us_ala_university_shooting

EXCERPT:
More than two decades ago, Amy Bishop fatally shot her teenage brother at their Massachusetts home in what police at the time logged as an accident — though authorities said Saturday that records of the shooting are missing.

She shot her brother, an 18-year-old accomplished violinist, in the chest, said Paul Frazier, the police chief in Braintree, Mass., where the shooting occurred. Bishop fired at least three shots, hitting her brother once and hitting her bedroom wall before police took her into custody at gunpoint, he said.

However, the police chief at the time told officers to release Bishop to her mother before she could be booked. At the time, it was logged as an accident.

sorta looks like another mother protected and covered up for her daughter now look 3 more lives lost and 3 changed forever!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juliehollz
Back