GUILTY AL - Three dead, 3 injured in shooting at UAH, Amy Bishop charged

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
<snip>

Bishop, 44, had been fighting the school for a year over a tenure denial, Anderson said in the phone interview from the family&#8217;s home. This was to be her last semester.

Bishop was involved in another shooting in 1986, when she shot and killed her brother, 18, in the family&#8217;s Braintree home. The shooting was ruled accidental, but yesterday Braintree police said the 1986 police report is missing and called the investigation &#8220;troubling.&#8221;

more here

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=1232734

Sounds like Bishop had some time to stew over the tenure denial, IMO.

Her husband sounds like every other relative, no matter how serious the accusation is. "But he is a such a good boy," or in this case "she is such a good girl."
:rolleyes:

On Geraldo tonight, it was said that it is not accidental when you shoot three times. Question....did she shoot her brother only one time and missed him the other two times?

supposedly, she fired a round into her bedroom wall, another round accidentally got her brother & another round ended up the ceiling when she ran out of the house with the gun.

that's a lotta 'accidental' shooting w/ a *pump* action shotgun.

That's the first I've heard that there was an inquest. A coroner's inquest is a public hearing. I'd like to see more details about this.
to me (with the inquest) it sounds like at least more than one person questioned this shooting. I think we will see this investigation reopened in the future. Especially in light of what has just happened. moo

<snip>

Bishop, 44, had been fighting the school for a year over a tenure denial, Anderson said in the phone interview from the family’s home. This was to be her last semester.

Bishop was involved in another shooting in 1986, when she shot and killed her brother, 18, in the family’s Braintree home. The shooting was ruled accidental, but yesterday Braintree police said the 1986 police report is missing and called the investigation “troubling.”

more here

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=1232734

Sounds like Bishop had some time to stew over the tenure denial, IMO.
bbm and ita.

she sure did... bet it played a lot into her thought process... and rather mimics that of her past shooting of her brother... as she is shoved in the cop car she denies them being dead...not that she didn't intend to inflict injury or denying that she did the deed but that they possibly couldn't be dead. I see a psyche defense in the very near future. She is CERTIFIABLE! MOO

State Police investigative report: '86 Bishop shooting
The Massachusetts State Police attached to the Norfolk District Attorney's Office searched its records archive and discovered the investigative report into the shooting of Bishop's brother, Seth, in December 1986.

Six pages.

http://www.necn.com/02/13/10/State-...6-Bis/landing.html?blockID=180126&feedID=4215

Hinky-dinky-doo...In the shooting of her brother, Amy states that she thought she had "ruined" something in the kitchen, (not shot her brother)...and in the recent shooting, Amy also says, "it didn't happen, they aren't dead." (paraphrasing) This chick has an excuse for everything, doesn't she!...Too bad mama lied for her way back when, because these people's deaths would not have had to happen. I'd love to know how Amy's parents comment on this.

bbm and ita.

she sure did... bet it played a lot into her thought process... and rather mimics that of her past shooting of her brother... as she is shoved in the cop car she denies them being dead...not that she didn't intend to inflict injury or denying that she did the deed but that they possibly couldn't be dead. I see a psyche defense in the very near future. She is CERTIFIABLE! MOO

I don't think she will be certified as being legally insane.

She seems to be a full blown narcissist who cant stand that others may be as good or better than she thinks she is and rages against others who do not grovel at her feet.

I see rage at her brother because he too seemed to be as intelligent as she and already receiving three awards in science by the age of 18. She did not want the competition in her family imo that would take away from her. And she had rage at the faculty because they too didn't think she was as great as she thinks she is.

imo

One need only to have lived in Boston to understand a cover-up happening back then. See "Charles Stuart"--a case with some of the worst twists and turns I've ever seen. :(

SFGate.com/San Francisco Chronicle blogger touches upon a topic I wondered about - motive for shooting?
It was revealed to this blogger by a source who claims that Amy Bishop was his faculty advisor, that Dr. Amy Bishop Anderson killed to protect what she considered to be her intellectual property...

"You called it when you said you thought this happened over her invention," and referring to this bloggers first post on this matter,"When her tenure was denied, that invention became the intellectual property of the university."

The invetion [sic] Dr. Amy Bishop believed was hers and that she had rights to something Bishop created, and what was reported in this space, is a portable cell-incubator called "InQ" which won the couple an award in a state competition and won $25,000 of seed money in a business competition, money they could use to start a company around the invention.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/abraham/detail??blogid=95&entry_id=57209

SFGate.com/San Francisco Chronicle blogger touches upon a topic I wondered about - motive for shooting?
It was revealed to this blogger by a source who claims that Amy Bishop was his faculty advisor, that Dr. Amy Bishop Anderson killed to protect what she considered to be her intellectual property...

"You called it when you said you thought this happened over her invention," and referring to this bloggers first post on this matter,"When her tenure was denied, that invention became the intellectual property of the university."

The invetion [sic] Dr. Amy Bishop believed was hers and that she had rights to something Bishop created, and what was reported in this space, is a portable cell-incubator called "InQ" which won the couple an award in a state competition and won $25,000 of seed money in a business competition, money they could use to start a company around the invention.

Well, maybe, but I would think that it would be University property only if she DID have tenure.

Well, maybe, but I would think that it would be University property only if she DID have tenure.

Could be. Would depend on the school and the contract, I guess.

I don't think she will be certified as being legally insane.

She seems to be a full blown narcissist who cant stand that others may be as good or better than she thinks she is and rages against others who do not grovel at her feet.

I see rage at her brother because he too seemed to be as intelligent as she and already receiving three awards in science by the age of 18. She did not want the competition in her family imo that would take away from her. And she had rage at the faculty because they too didn't think she was as great as she thinks she is.

imo

I agree with that. Being gifted can make a person feel more privileged to whatever they want rather than grateful for the opportunities they receive. Disturbing that the murder of her own brother seems to have been excused and brushed to the side. Little question that any person, especially a psychopath, will see the excuses and dismissal of bad choices and crimes as a confirmation of their superiority and entitlement. It enflames their ego and increases their anit-social behaviors

This woman has four children -- my heart breaks for them and for all the children, family, friends and associates of her tragic victims.

What does the tenure have to do with whether or not her invention became the intellectual property of the university?
Tenure provides faculty with job security. I don't think it has anything to do with whether or not the inventions are intellectual property of the faculty.

This news about her killing her brother is so disturbing

I think that they did cover this up...I think this is yet another example of how we should not be so easy on criminals...so what if she is "disturbed"...her mental state or problems doesn't bring the people she killed back to life

there is a reason we used to have mental hospitals and I for one wish we had more of them again...some of these people need hospitals, lifelong "monitoring"...IMHO this woman murdered her brother, it was no accident..she might be "brilliant" but she lacks something , some soul or conscience....I hope they lock her up this time and throw away the key
she was a danger and she will be a danger in the future

What does the tenure have to do with whether or not her invention became the intellectual property of the university?
Tenure provides faculty with job security. I don't think it has anything to do with whether or not the inventions are intellectual property of the faculty.

If the invention was made using professorial release time - allotted time not spent in the classroom, but for the purpose of developing intellectual property via on-site research and development - whose property the subsequent invention becomes is arguable: the inventor's, or the school which paid the inventor for the time spent in development? This depends on school policy and the wording of the professor's contract with the school.

If the invention was made using professorial release time - allotted time not spent in the classroom, but for the purpose of developing intellectual property via on-site research and development - whose property the subsequent invention becomes is arguable: the inventor's, or the school which paid the inventor for the time spent in development? This depends on school policy and the wording of the professor's contract with the school.

Her contract presumably was in place at the time she made the invention. Whether or not she subsequently was denied tenure should presumably make no difference in whether or not the invention is her intellectual property. By the way, killing people isn't going to protect the intellectual property, any way you look at it.

This news about her killing her brother is so disturbing

I agree

I think that they did cover this up...I think this is yet another example of how we should not be so easy on criminals...so what if she is "disturbed"...her mental state or problems doesn't bring the people she killed back to life

there is a reason we used to have mental hospitals and I for one wish we had more of them again...some of these people need hospitals, lifelong "monitoring"...IMHO this woman murdered her brother, it was no accident..she might be "brilliant" but she lacks something , some soul or conscience....I hope they lock her up this time and throw away the key
she was a danger and she will be a danger in the future

I can't help but also think of the man in Las Vegas that brutally murdered a baby and nearly murdered the baby's mother. Both strangers to the man. His family admits he is schizophrenic, bi-polar, depressed and whatever else, but he didn't believe in taking his meds. He was a disaster waiting to happen. Now we have this woman that murdered her brother and walked away when her [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]family [/FONT]intervened. Little question they will now use some underlying mental/medical condition to excuse away her behavior[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]s[/FONT] that they didn't want to admit until now.

The incident in Braintree certainly puts a new light on academic households. Who has a loaded shotgun in their kitchen -- and in the home of a university professor -- and it accidentally discharges THREE times? Sounds like a setting more narrowly associated with the home of a blue collar worker in the south.

I agree

I can't help but also think of the man in Las Vegas that brutally murdered a baby and nearly murdered the baby's mother. Both strangers to the man. His family admits he is schizophrenic, bi-polar, depressed and whatever else, but he didn't believe in taking his meds. He was a disaster waiting to happen. Now we have this woman that murdered her brother and walked away when her [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]family [/FONT]intervened. Little question they will now use some underlying mental/medical condition to excuse away her behavior[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]s[/FONT] that they didn't want to admit until now.

The incident in Braintree certainly puts a new light on academic households. Who has a loaded shotgun in their kitchen? And in the home of a university professor? And it accidentally discharges THREE times? Sounds like a setting more narrowly associated with the home of a blue collar worker in the south.

If you are talking about the gun that she shot her brother with, it was not kept loaded. As the official story goes, the gun was kept unloaded, and she loaded it supposedly to see how to operate it.

Her contract presumably was in place at the time she made the invention. Whether or not she subsequently was denied tenure should presumably make no difference in whether or not the invention is her intellectual property. By the way, killing people isn't going to protect the intellectual property, any way you look at it.

It is my understanding that if she used university data, developed her project with university support, and on their clock, they own her invention. Tenure is a sweet deal for anyone in education. Once you make tenure, it is virtually impossible to dismiss someone.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzyQuinn
Back