GUILTY AL - Three dead, 3 injured in shooting at UAH, Amy Bishop charged

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
EXCERPT:
A former auto-body worker claims Amy Bishop put a gun to his chest and demanded a getaway car just minutes after she shot her brother to death 24 years ago in a controversial case that is now being reviewed.

Tom Pettigrew, 45, told the Herald he was working at the Dave Dinger Ford auto repair shop in South Braintree, near the former Bishop home, when he saw the gun-wielding woman run into the dealership with what he thought was a BB gun...

“I go over to the door and I can sense that she’s right near the door,” Pettigrew said. “I’m thinking it’s a BB gun. I open the door and she’s right there and we basically bumped into each other and I got a shotgun right in my chest!”

“And she’s like, ‘Hands up!’ and I’m like, ‘Yes ma’am’ ”

http://news.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view/20100215quincy_man_recalls_bishop_holdup/

Notice how police report doesn't mention that at all, but it fits well with what their current police chief is saying. They arrested her at gun point, and then they waited 11 days to question her, after her brother was shot and killed. It boggles my mind.

BRAINTREE POLICE DEPT - Deputy Chief Russell Jenkins dated 2/13/2010

http://static.cbslocal.com/station/wbz/wbz/2010/February/Amy Bishop.doc

(snip)
“I have been in contact with the Huntsville Police Department to confirm that the suspect in their shooting had been involved in a shooting incident in Braintree 24 years ago. Their investigators will be back in touch with us within a couple of days.”

“I (Chief Frazier) spoke with the retired Deputy Chief who was then a Lieutenant and was responsible for booking Ms. Bishop. He said he had started the process when he received a phone call he believes was from then Police Chief John Polio or possibly from a captain on Chief Polio’s behalf. He was instructed to stop the booking process. At some point Ms. Bishop was turned over to her mother and they left the building via a rear exit.”

Colleague speaks to press

http://www.decaturdaily.com/detail/53564.html

“I saw her at a spring (2009) orientation for the new freshmen,” Seemann said. “She said she was not tenured and she felt like she had been given a raw deal.”

Despite her excellent research ability, Seemann was not surprised she struggled to obtain tenure.

“Amy was kind of hard to get along with,” he said. “I’ve talked to people who said, ‘Wow, she can be really arrogant,’ or be really headstrong. I knew that to be true. But at the same time she was brilliant. She was really one of UAH’s rising research stars. People I know in biological sciences would say, ‘She’s a great researcher, but she’s lousy to work with.’ ”

She was brilliant and she knew it.

“At one meeting I was with Amy, she was complaining to a group of us. She said she was denied tenure not because she was a lousy researcher — she’s not, quite the opposite — and not because she didn’t have good classes, she believed she did — I think some might say otherwise — but because she was accused of being arrogant, aloof and superior. And she said, ‘I am.’

“She said, ‘I am arrogant, I am aloof and I am superior in my attitude. But it doesn’t mean I don’t want to get along with people.’ ”

Interesting article here about the whole tenure issue:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/15/us/15alabama.html

“Mr. Anderson said that months ago, the university administration overruled a successful appeal of the decision to deny Dr. Bishop tenure in spring 2009.
“She won her appeal,” he said, “and the provost canned it.”
The university has declined to elaborate on the details of Dr. Bishop’s tenure application, saying only that she was denied last spring and that she could stay at the university only until the end of this academic year. Even if a faculty member successfully appeals a tenure denial, the final decision rests with the administration.”

I'm anxious to hear more from her colleagues.

Biship and her husband were also suspected in a attempted bombing in 1993 of another professor

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/02/ala_slay_suspec.html

This woman should have been locked up so long ago, these murders should have never happened had she been arrested for killing her brother or at least the attempted bombing.
I am so sick of hearing about all these "missed opportunities, to prevent such tragedies".

I think her invention becomes unversity propery (at least partially). I found this link. It explains unversity patents in good detail.
http://www.tms.org/pubs/journals/JOM/matters/matters-0301.html

Eta: upon rereading the link, I'm not sure now whether or not the university owns her invention.

I've already provided a link to an article that says that despite not being granted tenure, she would have been able to profit from her invention. Although I don't think she will have to worry about spending her profits, since the relatives of her killed co-workers are likely going to sue her for wrongful death.

I haven't been around much, but wanted to pop in and read what y'all were saying about this tragic, fascinating case. There is certainly more to Bishop than meets the eye and I suspect other things will continue to come to light as this case is investigated.

I appreciate sniperacer's comments about shotgun pumping and accidental shooting. Hinky, to be sure, though I am not willing to blame the Braintree PD for what happened at the UAB.

One thing is certain to me - this woman is psychologically damaged and she is dangerous. I doubt we'll be seeing her on the streets any time soon. And that is a good thing.

My prayers to the family and friends of those killed and to her family and friends as they try to make sense of all of this.

Biship and her husband were also suspected in a attempted bombing in 1993 of another professor

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/02/ala_slay_suspec.html

This woman should have been locked up so long ago, these murders should have never happened had she been arrested for killing her brother or at least the attempted bombing.
I am so sick of hearing about all these "missed opportunities, to prevent such tragedies".

Not just missed opportunities it also seems like corruption in the police dept they are reinvestigating her brothers shooting and the handling of it.She was released to her mother seems hinky to me.Somehow the records have been lost.I wonder how wealthy and connected her family is seems like she has been a danger for a very long time.

I just noticed that the police have her being born in Feb of 1968, but the U of Alabama have her birthday as April, 1965. That's why some new reports say she's 44, some 42.

http://newinfo.uah.edu/news/newspages/campusnews.php?id=172

I wonder if she gave the university a false birthday when she was hired, so they wouldn't track down her previous record? though it's unclear she even had a record... giving a false birthday might still make it harder for her to be connected with the killing of her brother.

Not just missed opportunities it also seems like corruption in the police dept they are reinvestigating her brothers shooting and the handling of it.She was released to her mother seems hinky to me.Somehow the records have been lost.I wonder how wealthy and connected her family is seems like she has been a danger for a very long time.

I don't think it was. I think it was the DA at the time that made this all go away. It is his call whether charges are to be filed. All the police can do is offer the evidence. I believe that is why some of the detectives were highly upset when this happened but the DA imo had tied their hands.

I think he made a call to the PC and told him to drop it and send her home to her mommy.

Her father was a professor and he mother had a prominent role in the personnel department at the time.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if it was learned that her parents had contributed to the DAs campaign when he was running for DA each term.

imo

Amy Bishop was clearly a bomb waiting to go off (pun admitted). Besides her deadly eruptive personality, there is the more thorny issue of tenure: In her mind, her apparently valuable research verified her worth. Her teaching, which seems almost mechanical (even her last class that morning was apparently unexceptional), probably seemed a side issue. By its very nature, biology courses are not generally regarded by students as great arenas of excitement and doubtless many of her students were taking her introductory course only to fulfill requirements. Her online ratings from students were often critical, though several of them do allude to her impressive credentials. According to one report, some of her students actually approached the dean, petitioning against her. None of these factors would have strengthened her case for tenure. Nor is it likely that she won friends among faculty or administration with her probable attitudes towards Alabama education or educators.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PixelP
Back