Alec Baldwin fired prop gun, killing 1 on movie set, Oct 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is an excellent comment, yet I’m not so sure he would have checked the gun, even if the scene required he point it at himself. AB apparently trusted the chain of custody of the gun. And that’s where I see the problem. As an experienced actor, arguably the biggest name in this now defunct movie - but more importantly, one of the main producers - he should have been aware the production was in shambles. Had he walked off the set the first time safety protocols were breached, the movie set would have shut down until corrections were made. The armourer should have been fired.

Halyna’s life, along with the lives of everyone on the set, was in peril days or weeks before her fatal shooting. Yet those in charge allowed the cameras to keep rolling. Reckless and unconscionable. Halyna’s family and friends, along with everyone that witnessed the shooting, and AB himself, will have to live with that horror for the rest of their lives.

Excellent post @steeltowngirl. I completely agree.

If the Union crew walked out that morning, it sounds like they used whoever they could find instead. Which makes no sense; you’re either a Union set or you’re not. I don’t know how they could legally have dumped their IATSE contract and gone with amateurs at that point. But maybe the subs were union as well. It doesn’t sound like it from their actions, though.
I think because New Mexico is a right to work state, you can hire non union workers on a union set.

'Rust' shooting: How it unfolded, moment by moment - CNN

The cast and crew of "Rust" had just returned from lunch when it happened.

One minute, producer-star Alec Baldwin and a handful of others were rehearsing a scene in a wooden church on a dusty Old West movie set meant to look like 1880s Kansas. The next minute, two people were bleeding from gunshot wounds -- one of which would prove to be fatal -- and everyone was reeling from confusion and shock.

Here, based on a search warrant affidavit and 911 calls, is a moment-by-moment account of what happened that day...

Whichever crew member stole that particular gun off the cart, loaded it and used it for plinking and put it back on the cart still loaded has got to be SWEATING it so bad right now. I’m sure they know who it is and have talked to that crew member. We’ll find out eventually.

I was actually thinking that it may be impossible to know who it was--in fact, if more than one person didn't unload their gun after "plinking," the person him or herself might not be sure. If four crew members were using similar-looking, old style revolvers, and two of them put the guns back without unloading--or, only one did, but doesn't admit to it--I can't see how that person ever gets held accountable.

BBM
AB should of not pointed the gun directly at anyone.
No matter who told him to point the gun at a person ..or persons.
ESP a gun he personally did not check (or shown was empty via AD) as empty.

MOO
Interesting, though, that nobody is questioning what the director asked AB to do. I have a feeling that if AB had been the director, we would be rolling that around as well.

Despite the fact that director was also a victim, I am wondering if he also may bear some responsibility here.

I was actually thinking that it may be impossible to know who it was--in fact, if more than one person didn't unload their gun after "plinking," the person him or herself might not be sure. If four crew members were using similar-looking, old style revolvers, and two of them put the guns back without unloading--or, only one did, but doesn't admit to it--I can't see how that person ever gets held accountable.

I think that if the other 3 know that they unloaded the weapon they used last they would be pretty quick to throw their crewmate under the bus when faced with a negligent homicide charge.

Interesting, though, that nobody is questioning what the director asked AB to do. I have a feeling that if AB had been the director, we would be rolling that around as well.

Despite the fact that director was also a victim, I am wondering if he also may bear some responsibility here.

We will see IMO

What are the rules of gun safety? - 717 Armory
The Rules of Gun Safety are to treat every single gun as if it was loaded, keep your finger off the trigger until you want to shoot your gun, never aim your gun at anyone or anything you are not willing to kill or destroy, and be mindful of your target and anything or anyone who is behind it.

Yes, from what has been said, the director would have been the person in charge of the rehearsal and all aspects around it.

Absolutely. I’ve been wondering about him and his role. Directors have all the power on set IME, and specifically to what actors are doing in a particular scene. But it’s just hard to know without details. He could have been fighting the lax safety and chaos all along during this shoot just like Haylana was :( or he could be complicit.

Hopefully not. I have to have faith that they will go step by step and get to the bottom of exactly who did what. However I just heard on CNN that New York Times is saying the target practice that morning is UNCONFIRMED. So who knows if that actually happened now?

The armorer put the guns on the cart and left them unattended—WRONG

Crew members took the guns off the cart and loaded them with real ammunition and used them for target practice—WRONG

Crew members put guns back, forgetting to unload the gun in question—NO WORDS

AD took gun off cart and handed to actor—WRONG (only armorer is supposed to hand it to actor)

AD didn’t even check gun before handing to actor & announcing “cold gun”—WRONG WRONG WRONG

IMO With all the chaos on set AB should have asked to be shown gun was cold or check himself.

A veteran prop master on CNN last night said AD’s are NOT supposed to ever hand gun to actor. Only the armorer should do that. AD should check the gun while armorer shows him, but he should NEVER touch it.
As to your first item, do we jnownfor sure that the guns on the cart were left unattended? I think I've been kind of assuming that as well but I've gone back thru some linked articles and I can't seem to find that directly stated. Could it have been that the reason the AD handed the gun to AB was because the Armorer was busy monitoring the other weapons left on the cart which COVID rules required to be kept outside? I'm certainly not stating that that is what happened, but I'm not sure that I've read anywhere that that the cart was definitely left unattended the entire time they were at lunch - or even for a short term after they returned. Also, apologies in advance if this was already confirmed and I've just forgotten it.

While I am anxiously awaiting the press conference, the realist in me already knows what will be stated..

The sorrows for those killed and injured.
The thank yous...to all LE, and first responders involved. And the ever favorite.." We cannot discuss any aspects of the case, as it is under investigation".
And...the closer of course...."We will not be taking any further questions."
Thank you
:cool:

I wonder whose gun it was? We’re hearing it was a special antique so was it a crew member’s personal gun they were just using? I’d like to know where it came from. If the target practice actually did happen, could be the owner felt comfortable just snatching it from the cart to use for fun during break?

I've been wondering about this. Where would a production source their guns from?, are there companies from which you hire the specific type of firearms needed for the genre?.
This would make the most sense to me, but until now I think I have always assumed all guns in movies and TV productions were replicas so I'm interested to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader