Alec Baldwin fired prop gun, killing 1 on movie set, Oct 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been wondering about this. Where would a production source their guns from?, are there companies from which you hire the specific type of firearms needed for the genre?.
This would make the most sense to me, but until now I think I have always assumed all guns in movies and TV productions were replicas so I'm interested to find out.
Colt still makes their Single Action Army model.

Colt's Manufacturing LLC

Here's a link to reproduction revolvers of the old west.

Best Reproduction Old West Revolvers

I've been wondering about this. Where would a production source their guns from?, are there companies from which you hire the specific type of firearms needed for the genre?.
This would make the most sense to me, but until now I think I have always assumed all guns in movies and TV productions were replicas so I'm interested to find out.

Great questions!
Now, for some added confusion...
Knowing this was a " Budget film", who is ordering and procuring the prop weapons? (Please note, the word "prop" means property. Not, fake...as I had thought previously )
Why would a film " on a budget" pay for a vintage weapon, when they could obtain replicas for less? Surely, this would cost more.
How many vintage weapons were there on set?
Did 'someone' insist on the vintage weapon? If so, who? The prop manager? The director? The producer? The actor?

Great questions!
Now, for some added confusion...
Knowing this was a " Budget film", who is ordering and procuring the prop weapons? (Please note, the word "prop" means property. Not, fake...as I had thought previously )
Why would a film " on a budget" pay for a vintage weapon, when they could obtain replicas for less? Surely, this would cost more.
How many vintage weapons were there on set?
Did 'someone' insist on the vintage weapon? If so, who? The prop manager? The director? The producer? The actor?
I've read multiple posts that mention vintage guns. I have searched for a source and have not found one that states this.

Can you help with this? Thanks.

Althouse: So Alec Baldwin punched the wall because of the air conditioning.

In thinking about what @steeltowngirl had said about if Alec had walked off the set....I agree completely. I'm surprised he was even involved in such a small-fry movie, but it could have been a passion project or a favor to the director.

But yes, IMO as well, without AB this production would’ve come to a halt before this tragedy.

The above link is from an incident I remember which happened in 2006. Alec was in a play and he punched the wall because the air conditioner was not working and he was sweaty. This is the Alec we often read about, throwing fits to get his way.

If he had thrown a fit when he saw things were crumbling, which he had to know since half the crew walked off, this would have been avoided.

That said, I blame the AD and the incompetent armorer for what happened. I’m just surprised AB tolerated these conditions and wish his well- known temper had flared up finally because this time, it was needed. IMO.

I've read multiple posts that mention vintage guns. I have searched for a source and have not found one that states this.

Can you help with this? Thanks.

I wish I could! I have read many many articles over this last week. This was stated in an article somewhere about the weapon being vintage. And, that someone insisted on having a true period time weapon. The article and/or the statement seems to have disappeared from the web though. Imagine that..

Hopefully not. I have to have faith that they will go step by step and get to the bottom of exactly who did what. However I just heard on CNN that New York Times is saying the target practice that morning is UNCONFIRMED. So who knows if that actually happened now?
Interesting. I imagine with so many people working on the set, there will be some that will talk and share the names of the the people that were involved (shooting) in the target practice.

I wish I could! I have read many many articles over this last week. This was stated in an article somewhere about the weapon being vintage. And, that someone insisted on having a true period time weapon. The article and/or the statement seems to have disappeared from the web though. Imagine that..
It may have been a mistake and taken down. Thanks for looking.

Safety issues need to be addressed by the industry and state of NM .
It is going to require a lot of legal research & review.
Anyone that has information about any target practice - needs to contact us.
We know there was one live round on set.
We have to determine if there were other live rounds in the area.

bbm

Hannah may have had possible access through her father’s collection, but that’s my opinion only.

One armorer who turned down the job because he didn’t feel it was safe, said part of the reason he turned it down was down was due to the low budget, and he mentioned the source of the props:

“He couldn’t get an answer on the budget for his “kit,” industry jargon for his cache of props needed to stock the set.”…

Zoromski said he initially asked for a department of five technicians. He was told that “Rust” was a low-budget production and that plans were to use items from a local prop house. He modified his request to have at least two experienced crew members: one to serve as an assistant prop master and the other as an armorer, or gun wrangler, dedicated to making sure the weapons were safe, oiled and functioning properly.

But the “Rust” producers insisted that only one person was needed to handle both tasks.

“You never have a prop assistant double as the armorer,” Zoromski said. “Those are two really big jobs.”

Veteran prop master turned down 'Rust' film: 'An accident waiting to happen'

bbm

Hannah may have had possible access through her father’s collection, but that’s my opinion only.

One armorer who turned down the job because he didn’t feel it was safe, said part of the reason he turned it down was down was due to the low budget, and he mentioned the source of the props:

“He couldn’t get an answer on the budget for his “kit,” industry jargon for his cache of props needed to stock the set.”…

Zoromski said he initially asked for a department of five technicians. He was told that “Rust” was a low-budget production and that plans were to use items from a local prop house. He modified his request to have at least two experienced crew members: one to serve as an assistant prop master and the other as an armorer, or gun wrangler, dedicated to making sure the weapons were safe, oiled and functioning properly.

But the “Rust” producers insisted that only one person was needed to handle both tasks.

“You never have a prop assistant double as the armorer,” Zoromski said. “Those are two really big jobs.”

Veteran prop master turned down 'Rust' film: 'An accident waiting to happen'
I assumed film companies just rented their props from some prop company. But I'm not sure that would work with real firearms. I'm not sure how that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarah573x