Alec Baldwin fired prop gun, killing 1 on movie set, Oct 2021 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I think Ms Reed will be in need of a lawyer along with several others on the set.
I totally agree. But the fact that she likely doesn't have as deep of pockets as some other parties involved here leads me to think that she may not come out quite as well as some of those others.

I totally agree. But the fact that she likely doesn't have as deep of pockets as some other parties involved here leads me to think that she may not come out quite as well as some of those others.
True. I imagine there are plenty of high profile lawyers who may want the job though. Maybe even pro bono. They may feel getting their name attached to such a high profile case would be great for their career. You know, the old "no publicity is bad publicity" thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait. Just from the headline of the link you included here, that link seems to imply that she's contacting a lawyer & that is a bad thing. If we were to assume that, I'd like to know what the call records on AB's cellphone show. I'm guessing that that pic we've all seen shared with him in upset & on his cell may very well have been taken while he was talking to one of his lawyers as well. & if he wasn't talking to lawyer already at that stage, when did his first call to a lawyer happen? "lawyering up"? Seriously? I'd love to see a comparison list of which parties on this set made initial contact with their lawyers and see who "lawyered up" when.

My take on the headline is that HGR hasn’t made any public statements, so the assumption is that she is only speaking to her lawyer. AB tweeted with sorrow and pain and he also contacted Halyna’s family. I’m sure he too has “lawyered up”, but he didn’t immediately go dark.

Peer of 'Rust' gun handler expresses shock: 'I'm surprised any of this happened on her watch'

“I don’t do anything unless I’m the best at it, really,” Reed said on the podcast, adding that she rides a Harley-Davidson 883 Sportster. “I’m pretty competitive. I hope to grow to the point where I’m pretty much just an untouchable person that has all the knowledge of everything.” ...

^RSBM

HGR sounds pretty full of herself. Her last sentence - I hope to grow to the point where I’m pretty much just an untouchable person that has all the knowledge of everything - doesn’t even make sense.

jmo

I also see a scenario with lack of respect for the Armorer, and for the ownership of prop weapons.

Why were guns even available for what sounds like random people to use for target practice?

Why were people allowed to take weapons, put in real ammunition, and shoot at "targets"? Shouldnt the props be locked up at all times, as much to prevent theft or tampering?

And why was there even live ammo.?

Did the rest of the crew just run roughshod over The Armorer because she was young and less experienced and a woman they could intimidate?

Or did she allow this behaviour because she didn't know how to or want to be the one to shut all the goofing around with real weapons?

I'm going with she flat out didn't know what she was doing.

Good article. Basically, actors are not expected to check guns. It should have been done by the armorer and in this case also by AD who declared the gun to be "cold."

"Added Corrie: “The reason that Alec Baldwin did not check the firearm is because… he’s not given time to do so. It is an understood that when the firearm is handed to him it is in proper working order. And that is the responsibility of the armorer prop master, whoever is in control of the firearms on set. So all the armchair quarterbacks that are sitting back and saying well, Alec Baldwin is responsible because he didn’t check the gun, that’s not the procedure that’s used on set — so stop with that. Ultimately it is the responsibility of the armorer or prop master or whomever is on set in control and responsible for those firearms being available and made ready for each scene.”"

'Rust': Armorers and Propmasters Talk On-Set Gun Safety, What Happened - Variety

Yeah, I have been saying there are a lot of people going around and giving interviews claiming they would never do this or never do that. Bet me.

My take on the headline is that HGR hasn’t made any public statements, so the assumption is that she is only speaking to her lawyer. AB tweeted with sorrow and pain and he also contacted Halyna’s family. I’m sure he too has “lawyered up”, but he didn’t immediately go dark.
AB had the power of what I am guessing to be a large SM following that he needed to reassure. If HGR had made an early statement, she would not only not have had that same support of a large following, but she also would have likely found herself in the crosshairs of AB's followers. Not to mention that she wouldn't have had the experience of dealing with the general public, pressure from the press, or the a lifetime of acting experience that someone in a situation like this may find useful to fall back upon when reacting to a situation like this.

I feel the need to add here that I am in no way trying to state that HGB had no culpability on this. But I do feel like there are several others that are just as much at fault and have much more extensive means to avoid answering for their involvement.

Hannah Gutierrez-Reed probably doesn't have a large amount of assets that could be used to pay a very large civil lawsuit award. Maybe she carried a large amount of liability insurance. I kind of doubt that.

I wonder if she could file for bankruptcy and would that protect her from paying a large amount of money from personal assets?

JMO.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but..... it strongly appears that live ammunition is used on some sets. I do not know why, but it could be for effects of some sort.

They used to be used to show close ups of an actor loading a gun. Ironically, last night I watched John Travolta load a gun. In a movie, not real life.

^RSBM

HGR sounds pretty full of herself. Her last sentence - I hope to grow to the point where I’m pretty much just an untouchable person that has all the knowledge of everything - doesn’t even make sense.

jmo
I can understand the part where she hopes to grow but wanting to be "untouchable" while knowing "everything" is a bit strange to me.

They used to be used to show close ups of an actor loading a gun. Ironically, last night I watched John Travolta load a gun. In a movie, not real life.
You don't need to use live ammunition for that kind of scene.

You use "dummy" rounds that are not loaded with gunpowder and primer. Totally safe that way. JMO.

Hannah Gutierrez-Reed probably doesn't have a large amount of assets that could be used to pay a very large civil lawsuit award. Maybe she carried a large amount of liability insurance. I kind of doubt that.

I wonder if she could file for bankruptcy and would that protect her from paying a large amount of money from personal assets?

JMO.

File bankruptcy to get out of her responsibility for the tragedy she caused? Wow!

Bullet-Parts-Diagram.jpg

This image shows the components of a cartridge. If you remove the powder and primer from this you have a dummy round that looks like it's real live ammunition but is not able to fire.

This is were a qualified and experienced armorer would be vital on set. To keep all of these different types of props in a safe place and only brought out when needed.

What Are The Basic Parts of Ammunition? - The Components of Ammo

from your article :
No denying Alec Baldwin's role in shooting mishap tragedy
“If you’re capable of memorizing 120 pages of dialogue, you can memorize four lines of gun safety,” special-effects and firearms expert Steve Wolf tells The Post.
“If that scene required him to put the gun to his head and pull the trigger, I’m sure he would have taken a look inside the gun. Wouldn’t you?
That's how Jon-Eric Hexum died. He played "Russian Roulette" with a gun loaded with blanks. But even a blank can be deadly if fired in close proximity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco67