Alec Baldwin fired prop gun, killing 1 on movie set, Oct 2021 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think his blunt statement that he didn't feel guilty is jarring, imo. He could have said he felt guilty, because he was holding the weapon, but he knows it wasn't his fault, ultimately. That would have been easier to hear, imo.

My good friend has felt guilty for 20 years because her 4 month old baby died from SIDS. :(....She has dealt with those intense feelings of guilt in therapy and she knows she didn't do anything wrong----but still, irrationally and emotionally, she feels guilt because her baby girl died in her crib a few hours before sunrise. How can a mom not feel those pangs of guilt?

I watched the entire program and I must admit I was quite impressed by Alec Baldwin. It was an award winning performance.

I was not impressed. And I don't think that his interview was a good idea. But, he is probably too narcissistic to actually take advice from a legal professional. What do they know anyway?!

A poster up-thread described it well, can't find it so will try.

With a pistol of this style, a revolver AFAIK, you pull the hammer back with your thumb. This is called cocking the pistol. Usually the hammer stays put.

After that, you squeeze the trigger with your index finger, which drops the hammer & launches the bullet.

Takes both steps to launch the bullet/projectile.

In some pistols -- the hammer can fall & launch that bullet without you touching the trigger.

Old, worn pistols; poorly maintained pistols; some brands are probably more likely to have this happen than others.

Don't know where the Pietta falls in this spectrum?

Didn't the armorer have an accidental discharge of this pistol during this project but before the death?

Faulty pistol, perhaps, or a risky brand?

(We are Sturm, Ruger people. From their website regarding Sturm, Ruger revolvers: Transfer bar mechanism provides an unparalleled measure of security against accidental discharge. Ruger® Firearms )

Now how does a professional armorer keep a faulty or risky pistol on a set?

jmho ymmv lrr
I think it's pretty obvious the armorer here was hired because her father is an experienced armorer. She herself barely had any experience. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this particular gun was not in the best of shapes. I believe the gun misfired just like Baldwin says.

snipped
I also don't know how many projects he has done where he used a gun. He himself may be inexperienced with guns on set.
There are quotes by AB earlier in the thread where he talks about his “gun slinging skills” and in this most recent interview he says he has as much experience with guns as anyone with 40 years on sets.

The type of gun he was using absolutely could misfire per the expert.

"“This is a single action and you can very easily accidentally pull the hammer back quickly if riding through brush. And it would, it would end up if it did not catch halfcocked, it would fire and there were many injured with their own pistols,” said Robert Theige, a vintage gun expert."

Will Alec Baldwin face charges in 'Rust' movie set shooting (koat.com)

There are quotes by AB earlier in the thread where he talks about his “gun slinging skills” and in this most recent interview he says he has as much experience with guns as anyone with 40 years on sets.
What do his gun slinging skills have to do with any of it? He didn't know he was given a gun loaded with a real bullet. Furthermore, the type of gun he was given can misfire (per the expert).

I would have been more impressed if he had made liquid come out of his eyes in the crying scenes.
What are you arguing about here? You don't think he is actually upset over what happened? Clearly he didn't intend to shoot anyone. Any normal person is going to be upset if they un-intentionally/accidentally killed someone. He was given the gun he was told was not loaded with real bullets. He was practicing a scene from the movie. He was clearly not intending for any of it to happen.

In the end, I don't think anyone will be charged with a crime. I do think that AB's career is going to tank, and he will be spending a lot of time, money, energy on lawsuits for years.

If anyone actually has liability, my guess is a split between Baldwin and Halls. Neither one followed even the minimum of safety protocols.

As for HG, her career as an armorer is over. I doubt she will ever even be allowed on a set working with her father.

What are you arguing about here? You don't think he is actually upset over what happened? Clearly he didn't intend to shoot anyone. Any normal person is going to be upset if they un-intentionally/accidentally killed someone. He was given the gun he was told was not loaded with real bullets. He was practicing a scene from the movie. He was clearly not intending for any of it to happen.
Ok ok I agree, I was kidding in my response to @MajorHoople, it was an award winning performance!

Alec Baldwin Not in the Clear on 'Rust' Investigation, D.A. Reacts to Interview

She tells TMZ ... "Everyone involved in the handling and use of firearms on the set had a duty to behave in a manner such that the safety of others was protected, and it appears that certain actions and inactions contributed to this outcome."

Her Office, along with the Sheriff's Dept., hasn't completed their probe yet ... and she's making it clear no decisions have been made about exactly who could be charged. She says, "Once I have had the opportunity to review the complete investigation, certain individuals may be criminally culpable for his/her actions and/or inactions on the set of Rust."
:)

The type of gun he was using absolutely could misfire per the expert.

"“This is a single action and you can very easily accidentally pull the hammer back quickly if riding through brush. And it would, it would end up if it did not catch halfcocked, it would fire and there were many injured with their own pistols,” said Robert Theige, a vintage gun expert."

Will Alec Baldwin face charges in 'Rust' movie set shooting (koat.com)
This is a replica gun, not a vintage gun.

Also a quote from your same expert regarding checking the firearm before handling it:
"But Theige said just looking at the base of the bullet really isn’t enough.

"You would have to take it out to know,” he said. "You are not going to see what you need to see. The only way to find out is to take it, use your ejector rod, drop the round out and look at it."

No way Baldwin checked the gun and specifically the bullets inside it. Therefore he bears the ultimate blame in this tragedy.

Expert provides closer look at type of firearm used in 'Rust' shooting

I think he's only worried about going to jail. I don't think he cares that he killed Halyna at all. JMO

Actors are not supposed to unload the guns and look at each bullet. That's why movie sets employ a special person for handling weapons-an armorer. Armorer is supposed to load the gun,and unload the gun. Not an actor. You absolutely will not see if the ammo is a dummy unless you unload a gun and expect each round.
But that's not an actor's job.

You are attacking my answer but ignoring the question about AB’s gun skills.

Surely when he talks about his "gunslinging skills" he is talking about his ability as an actor to look convincing in a gunfighting scene? That he can convincingly portray a character who has the correct shooting stance, etc?. To me that doesn't translate as someone saying they are well-versed and competent in all aspects of gun lore, more that they know how to look like they can competently point and shoot a weapon. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crimecat8