Alec Baldwin fired prop gun, killing 1 on movie set, Oct 2021 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That cannot be. Granted I have not been on here in awhile so I can't pull up links on this thread but I know for a fact (though I have to say MOO) that it was reported elsewhere that they engaged in target shooting. And, I know this because I have not been on here and only heard this on the news broadcasts - of which TMZ is not a part (for me). So it was indeed reported pretty widely. Whether it has been officially corroborated or not, however, I'd have to agree because I cannot recall. MOO Speculation.

But, again ... as stated in the prior post, if they had sealed off that scene and interviewed everyone they may have established whether or not this actually did occur. But, they didn't do that until this until the next day. MOO

And yet, HGR issued a statement via her attorney saying she knew of no such thing and would not have allowed it.

That's a strong stance to take. OTOH, I am not sure she has a great lawyer - that remains to be seen. The lawyer is definitely setting the stage for a sabotage defense for her.

And yet, HGR issued a statement via her attorney saying she knew of no such thing and would not have allowed it.

That's a strong stance to take. OTOH, I am not sure she has a great lawyer - that remains to be seen. The lawyer is definitely setting the stage for a sabotage defense for her.

The ole Hear no evil, see no evil? If that's the case they can't prove (or they are going to have a hard time proving) she did know, hence the strong statement. This case seems to be getting more and more messy. MOO

Just saw the DA speaking on GMA this morning. She says NO SABOTAGE and she knows who loaded the gun but won’t say. She also said how the live rounds got onto the set is the key. She also said the AD did hand the gun to AB from the cart although his lawyer is saying that did not happen.
This interview wasn’t on the GMA website yet—I just saw it. But I’ll add it when it appears.

Yikes, Vermont also has very limited exemptions regarding assets and that possible residence is way over the limit for home exemptions.

What ever his plans are regarding settlements or long term residences, an alternative get away mansion in the Miami area or the Texas hill country would seem to make more sense.

Both Texas and Florida completely exempt homestead homes from forced sale to settle debts of any kind. And.... a homestead is a homestead- no matter the size (at least as far as the home goes, acreage does have a limit).

Texas especially has a 180 year tradition of unfriendly laws towards debt collection. This could well extend to judicial thought and case law. Thus, my bet is that if there is a question of interpretation regarding foreiture, Texas courts as a whole come down on the side of the defendant.

Just saw the DA speaking on GMA this morning. She says NO SABOTAGE and she knows who loaded the gun but won’t say. She also said how the live rounds got onto the set is the key. She also said the AD did hand the gun to AB from the cart although his lawyer is saying that did not happen.
This interview wasn’t on the GMA website yet—I just saw it. But I’ll add it when it appears.

Not sure if this is the whole interview

Santa Fe D.A. Plays Down 'Rust' Sabotage, Not Sure How Live Ammo Surfaced

• Mary Carmack-Altwies said there were 'so many levels of failures' on set of 'Rust' that led to the fatal shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins
  • The District Attorney has said she knows who loaded the gun
  • She added that there were additional live rounds found on set and refuted claims that the shooting was caused by sabotage
District Attorney in charge of 'Rust' investigation says she knows who loaded the gun | Daily Mail Online

The statement by the DA as quoted on TMZ and Fox was not quite that strong. She said that they had "no evidence" of tampering at this time. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, as she and all of us know, and she carefully left the door open with the phrase facts we have now [TMZ] and "The defense attorneys, we don't have the same information that they do. But until we have it in our hands, it doesn't play into the decision-making process," Carmack-Altwies continued. [Fox News].

The TOS may view the Daily Mail as MSM but I do not. And the Fox News headline is a clear exaggeration.

For the record, I believe the circumstantial evidence for tampering is strong enough to keep it open as a line of inquiry.

The statement by the DA as quoted on TMZ and Fox was not quite that strong. She said that they had "no evidence" of tampering at this time. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, as she and all of us know, and she carefully left the door open with the phrase facts we have now [TMZ] and "The defense attorneys, we don't have the same information that they do. But until we have it in our hands, it doesn't play into the decision-making process," Carmack-Altwies continued. [Fox News].

The TOS may view the Daily Mail as MSM but I do not. And the Fox News headline is a clear exaggeration.

For the record, I believe the circumstantial evidence for tampering is strong enough to keep it open as a line of inquiry.

It sounds to me like the DA has the preliminary results of the FBI's examination of the ammunition and they know who loaded the gun. I am going to trust the DA on her conclusions, especially as it fits with everything else I've learned about this case (on-set management, prior behavior of various members of the crew).

Yes, she said "at this time." They're probably going to need actual eyewitnesses to tampering for it to reappear in the narrative. Or a confession.

And why was it loaded with anything at all, then?

This is indeed the biggest question. Any use of blanks (say, in the later scenes that day when there was to be a filmed shoot-out) should be carefully supervised and camera angles chosen. They were just getting to camera angles (and re-blocking after apparently giving up their crane camera for budgetary reasons). Alec was apparently still practicing his draw. A "cold gun" is a gun with either all dummies or empty.

Empty is best. They weren't even to the point of firing blanks for the later scene. They weren't filming, it should have been empty and the armorer should have known that (and the AD too, who should have checked before handing to actor). Sure, AB should have checked too, but he was trying to stay in character.

There were three guns on the cart - I wonder if the other two were empty? There's a podcast where HGR speaks about her learning curve and inexperience right before they started filming...it's chilling now to hear her speak about it.

The ole Hear no evil, see no evil? If that's the case they can't prove (or they are going to have a hard time proving) she did know, hence the strong statement. This case seems to be getting more and more messy. MOO

I believe there will be multiple witnesses to what was actually going on - DA says they found more live ammo (there was that fanny pack...with ammo...was it live ammo? I bet it was). Were they following olde tyme tradition and the armorer was making her own blanks? She has only one prior film credit (with mishaps) and says publicly what her experience level was. Because it's not uncommon on Western sets, apparently, to buy live ammo and then make it into blanks in a shed somewhere away from others. It's all supposed to be locked up, but various crew (including HGR) have also stated that the ammo was not locked up, just the guns were in the safe.

Still, sure sounds like the DA is satisfied with the forensic results from the bullets and they know whose forensic evidence was left on the gun and the bullets themselves. I also suspect that HGR has had several more conversations (with attorney present) with the DA about the basics of what happened that morning and afternoon.

I think her attorney may not be the best one possible, and they may have to walk some of her statement back, if the evidence is as clear as it might be.

'Rust' Gaffer Sues Alec Baldwin, Armorer, Asst. Director Over Deadly Shooting

Oops

And, there's this ... according to the lawsuit, the scene Baldwin was rehearsing did not call for him to pull the trigger. According to the lawsuit, the scene called for Baldwin to draw the gun and point it in the general direction of the camera, but, "the scene did not call for Defendant Baldwin to shoot the Colt Revolver."

Last edited:
More details, I wish someone would just post the whole lawsuit

Alec Baldwin Sued Over 'Rust' Shooting: He Should Have Checked The Gun!

In the lawsuit, Svetnoy claims Alec Baldwin “owed a duty to (him) and other crew members and actors on the ‘Rust’ set to handle the Colt Revolver provided to him by defendant Halls with reasonable care and diligence for the safety of the ‘Rust’ cast and crew.” It continues, “This duty called for Defendant Baldwin to double-check the Colt Revolver with Halls upon being handled to ensure that it did not contain live ammunition.”

'Rust' Gaffer Sues Alec Baldwin, Armorer, Asst. Director Over Deadly Shooting

Oops

And, there's this ... according to the lawsuit, the scene Baldwin was rehearsing did not call for him to pull the trigger. According to the lawsuit, the scene called for Baldwin to draw the gun and point it in the general direction of the camera, but, "the scene did not call for Defendant Baldwin to shoot the Colt Revolver."

Until the script is entered in evidence in a civil or criminal proceeding, we don't know whether this indirect journalistic reference to "scene" refers to the final "take" or the improvised rehearsal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amelia65452