Alec Baldwin fired prop gun, killing 1 on movie set, Oct 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If they did, they didn't announce it.
The Armorer & the AD probably don't have a lawyer so readily on call to advise them to get in front of the camera and show the public how heartbroken you are or that they need to get out on SM and make sure the public knows that there were other people on that set that should be questioned more than themselves.

I feel like there's a lot of info that the public does not yet know on this whole thing. I hope that LE has been privy to it though.

Last edited:
I do not wish anyone to go through what I went through, what her husband @matt Hutchins and her son Andros went through, and the actor Alec Baldwin, who has been handed a gun on set. He has to live with the thought that he took the life of the human because of unprofessional people.

Yes and he talked about the producers as well.

I really believe there will be folks who are terribly disappointed if we find out the majority of the actual witnesses do not blame Baldwin. But so far, between the 911 call and the gaffer, it seems that might be the case. Perhaps they actually know what he was directed to do.

MOO

Well, I brought it up because someone said that there’s no such thing as an ‘accidental discharge,’ and obviously there is. MOO But I think it’s fairly irrelevant to our discussion here, since I don’t think anyone’s claimed that the gun was dropped.

But I’ve missed two important things.

1: Even if it was a rehearsal, why would Baldwin be pointing a gun at people who weren’t actors in the scene?

2: Since it was a rehearsal, why would he pull the trigger?

None of this information has been publicly released by LE at this time. They're still investigating the incident and the actions of everyone at the scene.

There are multiple production companies involved and AB's isn't even the main one. Read what he specifically says about AB, please. It is the exact opposite of what you have stated.

And I get the feeling this guy has no "Fs" left to give. He seems to be telling it like it is, or how he sees it anyway. I have no doubt he'd call out AB as well (or at least not sound so sympathetic towards him) if he actually held him responsible.
Here's some info on the production companies involved, their roles and power.

Rust Death of Halyna Hutchins Spotlights TV, Film Production Problems - Variety

Who was the "unit production manager" for Rust... anyone know??

(I've been watching some of the legal depositions related to Sarah Jones death in 2014. Time consuming and I can't watch much more but interesting regarding titles and activities within a film crew etc) ETA: The AD in the 2014 movie answered to the unit production manager. The link below explains this UPM title/job (and yes, seems the UPM for Rust could likely be in trouble, too).

https://www.masterclass.com/articles/film-101-what-is-a-production-manager-duties-and-responsibilities-of-a-production-manager#:~:text=A production manager—officially called,-the-line” crew.

Last edited:
But where are you getting any of this? Based on what you hear from where? Isn't it just conjecture? I haven't found a single thing yet that says anything about what he was directed to do, where they wanted him to shoot. I don’t think any of this can be assumed, yet I keep seeing it repeated that he was not supposed to be shooting at the camera.

Just how do we know this?

Personally, I'd like some facts before I can state that he was doing anything that he had not been directed to do.
I would have thought he was directed to shoot towards the camera, since the Cinematographer and Director are often behind or near the camera. Either that or they were standing in the line of fire and he was aiming for something else. Such a senseless tragedy.

(I've been watching some of the legal depositions related to Sarah Jones death in 2014. Time consuming and I can't watch much more but interesting regarding titles and activities within a film crew etc)

Not sure, but he/she is in trouble too because someone texted them earlier about the 2 previous gun safety problems.

(I've been watching some of the legal depositions related to Sarah Jones death in 2014. Time consuming and I can't watch much more but interesting regarding titles and activities within a film crew etc)
Not listed in IMDB, so I don't know.

There are so many producers and backers on Rust, but I’m not finding anything specifically about unit producers. Even within one article there is conflicting info about executive producers.

Streamline Global co-founders Emily Hunter Salveson and Ryan Donnell Smith serve as executive producer and producer, respectively, on “Rust.”

Emily Hunter Salveson, Bondit Media Capital’s Matthew Helderman and Cavalry Media’s Matthew DelPiano are listed as executive producers.

Rust Death of Halyna Hutchins Spotlights TV, Film Production Problems - Variety

Allen Cheney, Emily Hunter Salveson, Christopher M.B. Sharp, and Jennifer E. Lamb are EPs.

Female Crewmember Dies After Prop Gun Misfire On New Mexico Set Of ‘Rust’ – Deadline

Last edited:
I really believe there will be folks who are terribly disappointed if we find out the majority of the actual witnesses do not blame Baldwin. But so far, between the 911 call and the gaffer, it seems that might be the case. Perhaps they actually know what he was directed to do.
I'm not really sure that how a particular witness feels is really the main concern. Hopefully though any witnesses would be able to convey to LE a factual description of how events of the day and previous events of the filming production have occurred. How they "feel" about any of the specific individuals may only muddy the waters around the facts they share and could potentially bring their opinions they share into question.
(Edited to fix "previous" from "precious" & "their" from "the".)

(Editing post to remove the quotes around the word "feels" - which was never originally stated in the OP. However I do believe that if persons on site were to offer their opinions or beliefs, they would likely base - at least some of that upon how they feel about the situations they were involved in and how their interactions with others had played out.)

Last edited:
“Production veterans say the industry needs to work to promote a zero-tolerance approach for anyone who tries to avoid or ignore safety protocols. In the case of firearms, producers also emphasized that so much can be done easily now with inexpensive vfx that there is no excuse for pushing the envelope on safety.”

“You can add a muzzle flash so easily now with five minutes of green screen,” the producer said.

“Producers also need to deeply understand the gravity of what they are getting into when the go into production, particularly on location. And industry veterans say that safety protocols need to be a point of pride for producers who need to adopt a buck-stops-here attitude on set.”

“We are asking you to do dangerous things,” the veteran safety officer said. “We put you in airplanes, we put you on mountains, we put you in speeding cars. It’s up to (producers) to make sure everyone gets home safe.”

'Rust' Tragedy Reflects Troubling Trends on Movie and TV Sets: 'We Did This to Ourselves'

I'm not really sure that how a particular witness "feels" is really the main concern. Hopefully though any witnesses would be able to convey to LE a factual description of how events of the day and precious events of the filming production have occurred. How they "feel" about any of the specific individuals may only muddy the waters around the facts they share and could potentially bring the opinions they share into question.
Where did I mention their feelings in the post you are quoting? I'm talking about what they think and have to say as witnesses.

“As we go through this crisis, we have made the decision to wrap the set at least until the investigations are complete,” the producers said in an email to crew members Sunday night….

…Although our hearts are broken, and it is hard to see beyond the horizon, this is, at the moment, a pause rather than an end. The spirit that brought us all to this special place remains,” the producers said.”

https://www.latimes.com/entertainme...stigation?_amp=true&__twitter_impression=true

ETA:
Meg James
@MegJamesLAT

'Rust' producers shut down production during investigation into the circumstances of Halyna Hutchins' death. She was shot by Alec Baldwin. Santa Fe Sheriff's Office disclosed it has seized computers, cameras and taken blood and hair samples.
https://twitter.com/MegJamesLAT/status/1452481042795798531?s=20

Apparently, the production has left the door open for it to continue. I’m surprised by this, considering the loss of life. They were 12 days into a 21-day film shoot…this seems like a really small, low-budget film. Why complete it ?

ETA2: …or am I misunderstanding the article. Is the production team saying it’s pausing and may return, or is it the production of the film itself?

Last edited:
I would have thought he was directed to shoot towards the camera, since the Cinematographer and Director are often behind or near the camera. Either that or they were standing in the line of fire and he was aiming for something else. Such a senseless tragedy.
The normal protocol in a shot towards the camera is not to have anyone behind the camera, it's operated remotely, and also a barrier.
Neither were used in this case.

What are the safety protocols for guns on movie sets?

"We've all seen the very famous shots in films where you get that dramatic effect of a gun being pointed at you, the audience, and of course, it's being pointed toward the camera," explained Steven Hall, a veteran second unit director and cinematographer who has worked on films like Fury and Thor: The Dark World.

"To minimize that, one would put a remote camera in that place, or at least, if someone does have to operate the camera, I'm normally protected by safety goggles, a safety visor and often a PERSPEX screen that withstands pretty much anything. Obviously, it wouldn't withstand a real shot from a gun, but it would certainly withstand a blank."

“As we go through this crisis, we have made the decision to wrap the set at least until the investigations are complete,” the producers said in an email to crew members Sunday night….

…Although our hearts are broken, and it is hard to see beyond the horizon, this is, at the moment, a pause rather than an end. The spirit that brought us all to this special place remains,” the producers said.”

https://www.latimes.com/entertainme...stigation?_amp=true&__twitter_impression=true

The article quotes the production team saying that they’re a family and will get through this together.

They’re leaving the door open to continue the production, according to the article.

I’m surprised by this. Poor timing for this announcement, imo.

This is good news, if it's not from the victims:

The Sheriff’s Office said it had taken blood, saliva and skin and hair samples but did not disclose whose samples it was testing.

Emily Hunter Salveson’s name keeps appearing in each producer list. Notably she is a financial person.

EMILY HUNTER SALVESON
Emily Hunter Salveson is the Founder and Managing Partner of Streamline Global. Responsible for client relationship management, business development, and marketing, Emily educates investors and their teams about state and federal tax incentives that lower film costs and enhance film profitability.

BBM

Film Investing, Section 181 Deduction, Tax Savings, Federal Tax Deduction, Risk Free Film Investment — Streamline Global

Where did I mention their feelings in the post you are quoting? I'm talking about what they think and have to say as witnesses.
My apologies. I dont think you did state the word feelings. I must have incorrectly assumed that others on the set could likely rely at least partially on their feelings as they decide where blame should be cast. I'll go back and see if I can still edit my post to remove the quotes from the word feelings.

“Production veterans say the industry needs to work to promote a zero-tolerance approach for anyone who tries to avoid or ignore safety protocols. In the case of firearms, producers also emphasized that so much can be done easily now with inexpensive vfx that there is no excuse for pushing the envelope on safety.”

“You can add a muzzle flash so easily now with five minutes of green screen,” the producer said.

“Producers also need to deeply understand the gravity of what they are getting into when the go into production, particularly on location. And industry veterans say that safety protocols need to be a point of pride for producers who need to adopt a buck-stops-here attitude on set.”

“We are asking you to do dangerous things,” the veteran safety officer said. “We put you in airplanes, we put you on mountains, we put you in speeding cars. It’s up to (producers) to make sure everyone gets home safe.”

'Rust' Tragedy Reflects Troubling Trends on Movie and TV Sets: 'We Did This to Ourselves'
Also in that link:

“As an industry, in Peak TV times, we did this to ourselves,” said a producer.

Multiple sources pointed to the importance of having experienced skilled technicians on set when weapons are involved. The details of “Rust” situation are not clear, but industry veterans noted that Westerns typically involve a number of firearms for multiple actors.

“On some shoots you might have a truck full of (firearms) and somebody has to keep track of every one of them and how they’re being used,” the producer said.

The armorer on set typically “spends a lot of time coaching people how to handle a gun safely,” the producer said. “In between takes that person is always standing around coaching.”

The producer added that there can often be problems with actors not taking the gun safety training seriously - that’s another reason for having experts on the set and maintaining safety protocols down the letter. “This protects people from themselves,” the producer said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela