Alec Baldwin fired prop gun, killing 1 on movie set, Oct 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From your bottom link: ‘A location manager for “Rust” says at least four people were responsible for checking the weapon that killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins — including gun-firing star Alec Baldwin.

“A massive mistake was made,” Stacey Mickey-Evans told Australia’s 92.5 Triple M Gold Coast.’
So according to this article there must have been a protocol that should have been followed. Since this was a location manager for Rust I'm assuming he or she would know. The gun should have been checked by at least 4 people. That obviously wasn't done or we wouldn't be discussing this. Heartbreaking.

So according to this article there must have been a protocol that should have been followed. Since this was a location manager for Rust I'm assuming he or she would know. The gun should have been checked by at least 4 people. That obviously wasn't done or we wouldn't be discussing this. Heartbreaking.
Different crew members are saying different things. I wouldn't count on this one knowing what the protocol is.

Different crew members are saying different things. I wouldn't count on this one knowing what the protocol is.
It makes sense to me. Earlier in the thread there were many people who work in the industry describing the same thing. Multiple checks by multiple people. Obviously this gun wasn't checked, even once.

If Baldwin was practicing a cross draw he should have keep his finger off of the trigger while doing so IMO.

Another possible factor in why this tragedy happened. JMO.

Alec Baldwin shooting: Actor was practicing drawing gun when it discharged - CNN
And if he was practicing a cross-draw, nearly that entire room should have been cleared. A cross-draw would involve the barrel of that gun crossing from behind AB, entirely across the room until the gun was pointed in front of him at the camera. To follow the basic safety rule of not pointing it at anyone would require there to have been no people in the entire path that the barrel if the gun took while being pulled out and aimed. ...of course waiting to do that would have taken more time and could have set them even further behind...

He was told the gun was empty. They were rehearsing the scene where presumably he was going to take a shot in the direction of the camera after he drew the gun.

He ( AB) was not "going to take a shot"...he was practicing drawing his weapon, per this link:

Alec Baldwin shooting: Actor was practicing drawing gun when it discharged - CNN

'Rust' director told authorities Alec Baldwin was practicing drawing his gun when weapon discharged

Souza told them Baldwin was "sitting in a pew in a church building setting, and he was practicing a cross draw," the affidavit said. A cross draw is when a shooter pulls the weapon from a holster on the opposite side of the body from the draw hand.

And if he was practicing a cross-draw, nearly that entire room should have been cleared. A cross-draw would involve the barrel of that gun crossing from behind AB, entirely across the room until the gun was pointed in front of him at the camera. To follow the basic safety rule of not pointing it at anyone would require there to have been no people in the entire path that the barrel if the gun took while being pulled out and aimed. ...of course waiting to do that would have taken more time and could have set them even further behind...
As far as I can tell, not pointing the gun at anyone, while a good practice in real life, really doesn't work on the movie set.

Yes we are hearing lots of variations. That was the first time I had read the key grip should have checked it too. I asked my SO who works camera dept and has previously been a grip, and that was news to him. He said he had never known the key grip to check the guns on any set he has worked on that had firearms. He said that's the armourer's job. Although grips are certainly responsible for other safety aspects.

Yes we are hearing lots of variations. That was the first time I had read the key grip should have checked it too. I asked my SO who works camera dept and has previously been a grip, and that was news to him. He said he had never known the key grip to check the guns on any set he has worked on that had firearms. He said that's the armourer's job. Although grips are certainly responsible for other safety aspects.
I've seen stories claiming armorer should have had guns in her possession at all times. To me it looks like the guns were left outside un-attended. They might have gone to lunch during which nobody was watching the guns.

I've seen stories claiming armorer should have had guns in her possession at all times. To me it looks like the guns were left outside un-attended. They might have gone to lunch during which nobody was watching the guns.
The guns being left on a tray boggles my mind. I wonder if we are missing some info. Where was the armourer at that time? Even if she had other responsibilities on set (which she shouldn't have had in the first place), I can't imagine they would even rehearse a scene involving guns without her there. I am interested to find out more.

That is a very good approach.

I am thinking, however, that answers to your questions maybe incomplete and include a lot of "Usually- but not always" and "Should- but does not really need to- well...not always" type quantifiers.

At the end of the day, movie sets don't seem to operate like military firing ranges where everything is always done according to very set procedures and under a very clear chain of command regarding weapons.

Rather, sets seems to operate under varying definitions of what is, or is not fundamentally safe and also have varied rules regarding the use of weapons and who is permitted to handle them besides the armorer, and who can over ride who regarding weapons.

And of course, some set rules might be written down, others maybe customary or be derived from a "common understanding", and still others subject to change based on alot of factors.
I have seen/read a lot of interviews with directors, producers, prop managers and armorers since this shooting, all saying what is "supposed" to happen. And they all seem to be a little different. So I am guessing that there is a general protocol to be followed. I don't know if that is in writing somewhere or not. but given the different explanations, I am also guessing that how those rules are actually followed an applied varies greatly. You can have all the safety regulations in the world, but they wont do any good in they are not followed, by EVERY one, EVERY single time. We still don't know all the facts here, just beginning to find out some really. But clearly there were a lot of breakdowns by multiple people here.

The guns being left on a tray boggles my mind. I wonder if we are missing some info. Where was the armourer at that time? Even if she had other responsibilities on set (which she shouldn't have had in the first place), I can't imagine they would even rehearse a scene involving guns without her there. I am interested to find out more.
The cart with guns was supposedly outside because of covid protocols. Which really doesn't make sense to me, because cart is not going to infect anyone with covid. So why would it have to be outside?

The cart with guns was supposedly outside because of covid protocols. Which really doesn't make sense to me, because cart is not going to infect anyone with covid. So why would it have to be outside?
Thank you, I hadn't heard that before. Covid protocols are important on set but you don't sacrifice one safety aspect for another surely. The armourer should have been with the guns wherever they were. That doesn't make sense to me. I don't see how that workaround would have improved Covid safety anyway. Usually on film sets now everyone is regularly tested and can only work with a negative result. Not sure what the protocols are in New Mexico though.

Because people would have had to go inside to get the guns, I guess. Maybe it was a small space and no one was willing to wear a mask.

Lots of questions about this whole thing, but one thing I do know: producers and directors have different personal interests than the rest of the crew. IMO>

Because people would have had to go inside to get the guns, I guess. Maybe it was a small space and no one was willing to wear a mask.

Lots of questions about this whole thing, but one thing I do know: producers and directors have different personal interests than the rest of the crew. IMO>
Guns are not supposed to be left un-attended.

As far as I can tell, not pointing the gun at anyone, while a good practice in real life, really doesn't work on the movie set.
Depends on whether your priority is the safety of your crew and coworkers & actors, or if it's to make upnfor lost time and to complete a movie as cheaply as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnjackson971@