All Sauvie Island Searches

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
We just went out to Sauvie for a couple of hours, poodling around & went to a couple of nurseries we like. Naturally we were chatting about Kyron's case... for one thing, you pass several of the billboards on the way; his face is everywhere.

A couple of things of note: The roads are SO narrow, on most of the island. There are not ample places to pull over on the side of the road. In fact, very few. The other thing is a reminder of how busy it is out there. Naturally on a nice weekend day, but there's working farms out there, there are people around, even on week days. While it is a way from town, it's by no means deserted.

What about access roads to the riverfront?

Seems the searches concentrated on dive teams.

http://www.kptv.com/news/23927964/detail.html

*REPORTEDLY* cell phone pings tracked Terri to Sauvie Island that morning.
WHAT is on SI that would connect Terri?

1. Kyron' body

2. Physical evidence (eyeglasses)

3. A place to go to throw LE off knowing her cell would ping there (having already disposed of Kyron closer to school & home).
4. Vegetation/Soil under her vehicle, tires, shoes.

5. Video Surveillance (remote chance but, possible)

There's five that I can think of...

BBM
I agree with all and especially agree with #3. When all the searches started at Sauvies I kept thinking a clever cookie that did advance planning just might think to take her cell phone on a joy ride to Sauvies after the dirty deed was done, "just in case" she was ever found in any way suspicious. I have thought that for a long time. And even lying about being there. That makes sense if you want to throw LE off and buy more time before the body is found.

Like Caylee, I believe Kyron, if he is deceased, was disposed of closer to school and home, just like you said. I have been very suspicious of the pond near the school, but I'm sure there are other areas. I believe that pond was searched, but searched thoroughly? not sure. I think there might be another pond like location nearby that may have been more secluded. Perhaps a ravine? Plenty of those out there I bet. Just my opinon. Thanks for bringing up those great points.

What about access roads to the riverfront?

Seems the searches concentrated on dive teams.

http://www.kptv.com/news/23927964/detail.html

It's mostly private land, making it even more difficult to get around undetected.
Personally, I think there are a lot more opportunity options on the Hwy 30 side of the Multnomah Channel, if you're trying to get to water, and not be seen.

We don't know yet what tips led LE to make those dive searches, so it's difficult to speculate.

Sorry, coming into this thread late, but if you click on the coordinates in the right-hand corner of the Wikipedia article, there is a large selection of maps--topo, satellite, etc.

Slightly OT, but for future reference, and full disclosure about potential conflict of interest, I'm a longtime editor of Wikipedia and there is a dedicated group of Oregon people who work very hard on the Oregon-related Wikipedia articles to make sure they are fully referenced, accurate, etc. I'll be the first to say that one should take anything one reads there with a grain of salt, but in general the Oregon articles are quite good. So if you have any Oregon geography-related questions, check Wikipedia first. And do drop me a note if you see anything that should be fixed (though it is OK to fix it yourself--it's a wiki!) or have any questions. I'm biased but I think it's a fabulous reference.

Mods, I don't know if that counts as professional qualification, but if you think it would be helpful to list me as a Wikipedia "expert" (for this case only for now), let me know and I'll send you my cred.

Good Morning,

I have spent a lot of time on Sauvie Island for vacations. Just wanted to share my impressions:

There is one car bridge on and off the island. As soon as you come over the
bridge, you can turn either left or right, and the road circles around the island and meets up back at the same spot. There is a little store, called "The Cracker Barrell" just to the left as you come off the bridge. To use the recreation facilities on the island, ie the beach, you have to buy either a day pass or season pass from either that store, or the only other little store on the island which is a few miles away, toward the public beaches. You go inside, pay your money, and you get a slip to put in your window. I guess it is technically a parking permit, and they will tow you if it's not in your window. It is to park at the beach areas.

Keep following the road to the right, and you will see expensive looking houseboats on your left. A couple of farms with sales outlets are on the right, the scenary on the island is bucolic and has been referred to in the New York Times as Oregon's "Martha's Vineyard". You pass lots of farms and houses, horticultural farms and acres and acres of corn.

We turn off the right and go left at the next stop. We follow this road along to the north and east of SI. The public beaches are just where the paved road turns into a gravel road. You have to park along the gravel, then cross the road to get to the beach areas. There are a lot of woods on the beach side, but the road side is mostly fields. There are some dog trial hunting training type places further west.

There are several marked entrances to the public beaches. You pretty much have to follow the paths to the beaches the further north you park along the road as the trees get thicker.

For what it's worth (and I like to go there sometimes) there is a public clothing-optional beach, called Collins Beach, further north on the beach road. Lots of people go there, including families with children, old folks, and just regular middle-age ladies like me who have fibromyalgia and need a break from clothes once and a while. There is an organization that sort of watches over what happens there (ORCOBA) and it is most definitely not about sex or sexuality for most people. In fact, anyone who starts staring too long usually gets a reproach from another beach person.

FWIW, as someone who does not live on the island, it is definitely a destination type place, not a just "passing thru" place.

Go, sleuths, go!

Good Morning,

I have spent a lot of time on Sauvie Island for vacations. Just wanted to share my impressions:

There is one car bridge on and off the island. As soon as you come over the
bridge, you can turn either left or right, and the road circles around the island and meets up back at the same spot. There is a little store, called "The Cracker Barrell" just to the left as you come off the bridge. To use the recreation facilities on the island, ie the beach, you have to buy either a day pass or season pass from either that store, or the only other little store on the island which is a few miles away, toward the public beaches. You go inside, pay your money, and you get a slip to put in your window. I guess it is technically a parking permit, and they will tow you if it's not in your window. It is to park at the beach areas.

Keep following the road to the right, and you will see expensive looking houseboats on your left. A couple of farms with sales outlets are on the right, the scenary on the island is bucolic and has been referred to in the New York Times as Oregon's "Martha's Vineyard". You pass lots of farms and houses, horticultural farms and acres and acres of corn.

We turn off the right and go left at the next stop. We follow this road along to the north and east of SI. The public beaches are just where the paved road turns into a gravel road. You have to park along the gravel, then cross the road to get to the beach areas. There are a lot of woods on the beach side, but the road side is mostly fields. There are some dog trial hunting training type places further west.

There are several marked entrances to the public beaches. You pretty much have to follow the paths to the beaches the further north you park along the road as the trees get thicker.

For what it's worth (and I like to go there sometimes) there is a public clothing-optional beach, called Collins Beach, further north on the beach road. Lots of people go there, including families with children, old folks, and just regular middle-age ladies like me who have fibromyalgia and need a break from clothes once and a while. There is an organization that sort of watches over what happens there (ORCOBA) and it is most definitely not about sex or sexuality for most people. In fact, anyone who starts staring too long usually gets a reproach from another beach person.

FWIW, as someone who does not live on the island, it is definitely a destination type place, not a just "passing thru" place.

Go, sleuths, go!
Thanks Mistermissy, Multnomah Channel is much wider than I expected it to be. Do you know where LE was searching in the channel?

Also, the houseboats on the left as one drives north, I didn't see any access to them besides a plank walkway and a few little row boats. It that how they get to their homes and carry in everything they buy? WOW It was different on Lake Oswego. LOL

I think SI looks impeccably well groomed in every way and am totally impressed. Lots of fields not planted it looked like to me when you first hit the island.

I'm going to start going there to get veggies and fruit instead of shopping at New Seasons. LOLOLOL

Thanks all for the great descriptions of the island.
For some reason, the bridge on the southern part of the island intrigues me....

There's no link yet, but there's a "breaking news" banner on KATU right now that says 150+ searchers are back on Sauvie Island right now looking for Kyron again. That's a lot...I wonder what brought this on. :|

Please, please...I hope they find him this time! :woohoo:

I wonder if this search is based on new tips or whether the perp(s) is talking. Please find Kyron!!!

Maybe Desiree touched someone's heart...although it seems too large a search to have been organized last minute?

Maybe when a local checks in, they could tell us what the foliage is like?

I guess it could just be a change of season search...but I hope not, I hope it is based on information...and that this nightmare will have an ending, although not the one we've all hoped for...but it needs to come to a conclusion...

Everything is still green here, leaves haven't really started falling yet. This week it was in the 80s a couple of days, pretty typical for one last summer hurrah around here before the start of October. I think most of the trees on Sauvie are evergreen rather than deciduous but it has been forever since I was out there.

I guess it could just be a change of season search...but I hope not, I hope it is based on information...and that this nightmare will have an ending, although not the one we've all hoped for...but it needs to come to a conclusion...

I was thinking along these lines--that maybe it's a search before it starts getting really cold?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NopeNopeNope
Back