All things swine flu (H1N1)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I guess Bloomberg is having a presser at this moment? I'm not where I can watch.

I've been thinking about the differences between the 1918 flu and this one. One of the things that is different is how mobile we are now. I think that is why we are seeing it spread so far and wide so fast.

Actually, although WW I was over in Nov 1918, it was spread in part by the mobility of troops aboard ships going to Europe.

eleven, it takes a good six months to make a flu vaccine.

Guess my feeling upon watching the presser is that if a government goes online or goes on national TV with concerns, citizens should be concerned. I don't think DHS wants anyone to panic, but I think there is a definite problem.

News confrence on cnn, expecting it to spread, expecting the US to have a lot more cases. Thinks that this is VERY serious and is nothing to mess with.

A PUBLIC HEALTH EMERGENCY has been called for ALL of the US.

A PUBLIC HEALTH EMERGENCY has been called for ALL of the US.

It was further clarified that this was merely an administrative measure to free up funds, etc. etc. The presser I was watching really downplayed the emergency of that action.

On the lighter side, who was the great looking guy? Was that Joe Bresee? I could hardly get past his movie star looks (LOL).

http://www.latimes.com/la-na-swine-flu27-2009apr27,0,6195760.story

(snips)
The U.S. is declaring a public health emergency to deal with the emerging new swine flu.

The precautionary step doesn't signal a greater threat to Americans. But it allows the federal and state governments easier access to flu tests and medications.

Napilotano said at a White House news conference today that the emergency declaration is standard operating procedure -- one was recently declared for the inauguration and for flooding.

4 cases now confirmed in Nova scotia Canada.

On the lighter side, who was the great looking guy? Was that Joe Bresee? I could hardly get past his movie star looks (LOL).

I had the very same thought!!! Bresser? Bressen?

So the NY cases are confirmed Swine Flu; I noticed 4 confirmed in Nova Scotia.

The "state of emergency" is just a warning that a pandemic could occur. I am hoping that the onset up warm weather will discourage it.

It doesn't hurt one bit to be "prepared" - wash hands often, stay home with symptoms, keep an eye on what states it spreads to, go to Dr. with early symptoms to get antiviral, etc.

To me you can't compare it to the 1918 pandemic; medical care was so different then, no antivirals, people didn't have flu or pneumonia shots like they do today. No antibiotics. Childbirth was hazardous, as was getting an appendectomy.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=090426160928.9ptl1xph&show_article=1

According to WHO, the current swine flu could mutate into a more deadly form.

People shouldn't panic, but it is wise to stay on top of this, and take precautions as you deem appropriate for you and your families.

http://www.wlwt.com/health/19294743/detail.html case confirmed in Ohio.

We are in the earliest stages of what could become a pandemic if this strain mutates. This is nothing to sneeze at.

If you're going to err, err on the side of caution. Basically, we are all still in the dark on what's going to happen with this swine flu. Two months down the road it could be of little concern or it could turn out to be a nightmare.

And from Mexico!!!

However, are we now going to disallow travel from New York? Airlines should be screening people for flu symptoms; wonder if they are yet.

This thing is in North America now; it's going to spread.

ITA. Wherever or however this can possibly be contained, the efforts necessary need to be made.

There will always be the person who gets through, even though they're sick. It's just not air travel but bus and train, too.

The Spanish Flu was one of the worst in history. My grandmother's younger brother died of it and he was 5 years of age. It was rampant among the younger age. This was in upstate NY back in 1918. She was around 6-7 years at that time and all her siblings were removed from the home to be safe. Francis was the only one who died. That said....

There is absolutely no need for panic mode. 91 years ago, we had none of the medical aid, medications for secondary illnesses, or even the MD's who have the education that they have now. At that time, it was as good as it could be. Thankfully, we have gone much further in medical care.

Take care, wash hands, and eat/drink healthy. Awareness, yes. But, be wise in thought process and discussion. There is no need to head to your bunker, imho.

I know I shouldn't panic, but I am panicking badly here. I'm an anxious person anyway. I just don't know what to do!! Part of me wants to ship out our pigs and lock my family up somewhere safe, wherever that is. Another part of me keeps trying to stay calm and not borrow trouble.

Please don't think I'm dumb, but I am truly scared for my family right now.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlanta_2_Philly
Back