Allison Baden-Clay - GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD #33

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This article emphatically says mobile phones are untraceable when switched off.
http://greenreview.blogspot.com.au/2012/01/can-cell-phones-track-your-movements.html?m=1

I would expect the battery to last far longer than Allison's did if the phone was switched off and only broadcasting GPS location.

I have proven that when you switch the Iphone off, you can still locate it by using any other device , ( someone elses phone, ipad, computer etc) by simply logging into Apples " find iPhone app" and typing in my Apple ID and my password.
So, this artical is incorrect.

I Have my iPhone 4 and IPad on my kitchen bench.
I just switched my IPhone off and then logged into Find IPhone App.
I was able to see both devices , located at my home.
So , there you go, even when switched off, I can still see where it is exactly - on a map. It is very accurate and shows it within my property boundary.
Amazing technology.

I think some folks may be confusing a couple of things here.

When the phone is turned OFF (as opposed to being in Sleep Mode), it does NOT ping the cells or the carrier. Or do anything. It is OFF.

When the phone is in SLEEP MODE - it does continue to ping the carrier. Also, location services, if switched on, will continue to work.

The "Find My iPhone" app (and the iPad equivalent) will continue to show the LAST KNOWN POSITION, even when turned off - as that is stored at the Apple server. BUT - it won't update that position.

In other words, when you turned your phone off on the kitchen table, and tried to locate it, it showed the last known position. But if you were to take that phone - while still switched OFF - to somewhere else, it would still show up as being on your kitchen table (or close to it).

An iPhone that is switched off doesn't ping the carrier - that's why they ask you to turn it off on a plane - they don't want it pinging to try and find a carrier. Even in flight mode, the wireless component is turned off (carrier ping, GPS, data and wifi - all are off in flight mode).

Hope that all makes sense.

So, if Allison's phone was switched on when lost, it would still be pinging the carrier, and that is how they would have triangulated it. If the "Find My iPhone" app was activated, then logging onto Allison's (or the family's) iCloud (or MobileMe) service from any computer would show the last known position of the phone to within a couple of metres. But presumably it didn't - hence the comment in GBC's text message (innocent or otherwise). So they only have the carrier signal to try and locate. "Find My iPhone" was presumably deactivated or not turned on, or location services was turned off on Allison's phone.

So , there you go, even when switched off, I can still see where it is exactly - on a map. It is very accurate and shows it within my property boundary.
Amazing technology.

You can't tell me that QPS haven't got Allison's phone. Technology is going to nail 'em. :please::please:

Mani's fabulous photos of Kholo Creek Bridge got me thinking (it happens occasionally lol).

In particular I think of the photos of the pile of castor oil plants that had been removed during the clearing of the site, post-discovery of Allison's body.

There seems to have been many such plants growing down the slopes beside the bridge.

Could GBC's 'caterpillar incident' have actually been a 'castor oil plant incident'?

Did the irritating hairs on those plants make contact with his skin as he scrambled down the side of the hill in the dark with Allison's body?

I'm tending to go with the 'placing of her body at Kholo Creek Bridge Theory' seeing as there were 'no external injuries to her body except a chipped tooth'.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-new...e-mistress-badenclay-case-20120622-20rv6.html

I think if she'd washed down Little Ugly Creek during a flood then her body would be showing signs of extreme damage.

Regardless of where she was initially deposited, I think that the 'caterpillar witness' will be easily discredited, unless they actually saw the caterpillars on GBC. Even if he/she is an 'expert' (eg. a doctor) then in order to rule out one skin irritant from another (ie caterpillar hairs from castor oil plant hairs) they'd have needed to perform actual biopsies/tests.

Of course, the scratches on GBC's torso could have been inflicted by Allison herself as she fought for her life.

Some info re Castor Oil plants....although can't find anything at the moment on hairs on the plant....

The plant contains a thick, white sap that can cause a
caustic reaction on the skin of some people and
may cause a severe reaction if the sap comes into
contact with mucus membranes such as the nose,throat or eyes

http://www.agric.wa.gov.au/objtwr/imported_assets/content/pw/weed/fn_control_castor_oil_plant.pdf

------------------------------

IF there are these hairs on the plant...or hairs from caterpillars...these could also be found on clothing he was wearing.

I think some folks may be confusing a couple of things here.

When the phone is turned OFF (as opposed to being in Sleep Mode), it does NOT ping the cells or the carrier. Or do anything. It is OFF.

When the phone is in SLEEP MODE - it does continue to ping the carrier. Also, location services, if switched on, will continue to work.

The "Find My iPhone" app (and the iPad equivalent) will continue to show the LAST KNOWN POSITION, even when turned off - as that is stored at the Apple server. BUT - it won't update that position.

In other words, when you turned your phone off on the kitchen table, and tried to locate it, it showed the last known position. But if you were to take that phone - while still switched OFF - to somewhere else, it would still show up as being on your kitchen table (or close to it).

An iPhone that is switched off doesn't ping the carrier - that's why they ask you to turn it off on a plane - they don't want it pinging to try and find a carrier. Even in flight mode, the wireless component is turned off (carrier ping, GPS, data and wifi - all are off in flight mode).

Hope that all makes sense.

So, if Allison's phone was switched on when lost, it would still be pinging the carrier, and that is how they would have triangulated it. If the "Find My iPhone" app was activated, then logging onto Allison's (or the family's) iCloud (or MobileMe) service from any computer would show the last known position of the phone to within a couple of metres. But presumably it didn't - hence the comment in GBC's text message (innocent or otherwise). So they only have the carrier signal to try and locate. "Find My iPhone" was presumably deactivated or not turned on, or location services was turned off on Allison's phone.
Ok, I'm going to drive up road and see if you are correct. ( with it switched off)
Be back soon.

I have proven that when you switch the Iphone off, you can still locate it by using any other device , ( someone elses phone, ipad, computer etc) by simply logging into Apples " find iPhone app" and typing in my Apple ID and my password.
So, this artical is incorrect.

The quote could be out of date. These techies are not necessarily 'up to date' themselves. Even the Apple thread says the same thing. Take it as fact when someone tests it and it works is my motto.

ps: If you have the latest Mac OS software (Lion) then there is a link in "Settings" to iCloud.

Pulp Fiction post makes an interesting read in this regard:

Allison Baden-Clay - GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD #33 - Page 32 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

The phone was smashed and dead yet he found it........

Some info re Castor Oil plants....although can't find anything at the moment on hairs on the plant....

The plant contains a thick, white sap that can cause a
caustic reaction on the skin of some people and
may cause a severe reaction if the sap comes into
contact with mucus membranes such as the nose,throat or eyes

http://www.agric.wa.gov.au/objtwr/imported_assets/content/pw/weed/fn_control_castor_oil_plant.pdf

------------------------------

IF there are these hairs on the plant...or hairs from caterpillars...these could also be found on clothing he was wearing.

Thanks Marly. No, I can't find any info on 'hairs' but, having seen the plants up close, the leaves are prickly. Yes, I'd think the hairs would be found on clothes if someone had brushed by these plants.

Some more info here:-

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/documents/environment/castor_oil.pdf
"Do not over-handle leaves as they can cause skin irritation.
It is recommended disposable gloves be worn when
handling this plant."

http://www.ehow.com/facts_6763328_do-plants-keep-moles-away_.html
The sap and the leaves of the plant are irritating to people, too, and can cause a skin rash if touched.

Apple's site says if Find My iPhone doesn't work it could be because the phone is switched off, not connected to GPS or not connected to wireless:
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2734

The Apple Support Community say your device can't be tracked if it is switched off.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3698419?start=0&tstart=0

I can't think of a less desirable feature than one that continues to drain your battery and access the mobile network when you have specifically turned it off, so I didn't believe the iPhone would do it.

Morning all,

For anyone who would like to download this. A 15 year old girl has written and recorded a song for Allison Baden Clay’s girls. All proceeds for the song will go to the Trust Fund set up for the girls on-going costs and education.

The song can be downloaded from iTunes. The details are as follows:

Artist: Georgia Horsley
Song: Three of a kind
Cost: $1.69.

Cheers,

Thanks for this FirstTimer....have sent it further afield as it really has the potential to raise quite a bit of money for the girls fund. Nice to see that all the proceeds from it will be going to the girls.

I'd hope that would be the case with anyone who does similar, be it songs, books...that all of the money goes to the fund & not to line someone's grubby pockets.

off topic just heard on news, kristi abrahams straight to trial, no committal hearing!

Ok, I'm going to drive up road and see if you are correct. ( with it switched off)
Be back soon.

Aunty - what you really need to do is take it up the road - and LEAVE IT THERE turned OFF.

Or turn it on, drive up the road, THEN turn it off and bring it home.

That way you can log on from home to try and locate it.

Unless of course you have an iPad or laptop with 3G connection that you can test the theory up the road with the iPhone still switched off....

Just taking it up the road then bringing it back to its same last known position won't demonstrate a lot....

Will be interested to hear the result of your test... :)

Have just reread GBC's blog. What a joke! This saying comes to mind. You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time.

One of his favourite movies is the 'Mission Impossible' series.

"Gerard's personal philosophies of ethical excellence and team loyalty, derived from his lineage as the great-grandson of international Scouts founder Baden Powell, have found their perfect landing spot in the field of real estate. Gerard’s commitment to the local community is genuine and entrenched. In addition to his own family – wife Allison and three young daughters – much of the extended Baden-Clay family also lives within the 4069 postcode. Gerard is a keen supporter of the local Scouts and..."

http://www.blogger.com/profile/07907839226403813399

Just a reminder if I remember correctly that G had a Mac computer as well that was confiscated from his parents.

Mani's fabulous photos of Kholo Creek Bridge got me thinking (it happens occasionally lol).

In particular I think of the photos of the pile of castor oil plants that had been removed during the clearing of the site, post-discovery of Allison's body.

There seems to have been many such plants growing down the slopes beside the bridge.

Could GBC's 'caterpillar incident' have actually been a 'castor oil plant incident'?

Did the irritating hairs on those plants make contact with his skin as he scrambled down the side of the hill in the dark with Allison's body?

I'm tending to go with the 'placing of her body at Kholo Creek Bridge Theory' seeing as there were 'no external injuries to her body except a chipped tooth'.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-new...e-mistress-badenclay-case-20120622-20rv6.html

I think if she'd washed down Little Ugly Creek during a flood then her body would be showing signs of extreme damage.

Regardless of where she was initially deposited, I think that the 'caterpillar witness' will be easily discredited, unless they actually saw the caterpillars on GBC. Even if he/she is an 'expert' (eg. a doctor) then in order to rule out one skin irritant from another (ie caterpillar hairs from castor oil plant hairs) they'd have needed to perform actual biopsies/tests.

Of course, the scratches on GBC's torso could have been inflicted by Allison herself as she fought for her life.

What the heck is a "caterpillar witness"??

Amazing technology.

Does it just tell you the last "known" location though rather than where it actually is?

Never mind. Dr Watson already answered that. Thanks Doc!

Just a reminder if I remember correctly that G had a Mac computer as well that was confiscated from his parents.

Yep correct...

April 26, 2012

Three police cars arrived at 9am and eight officers entered the house, which is home to the parents of Mrs Baden-Clay's husband, Gerard, The Courier-Mail reported.
The officers left at 10am with several bags, including one containing an Apple laptop computer and a hard-drive.

http://www.news.com.au/national/tim...lison-baden-clay/story-e6frfkvr-1226338462814

OR it may have been NBC's??...I'd presume GBC's computer may have been taken from his house under crime scene warrant if it was there that is.

Have just reread GBC's blog. What a joke! This saying comes to mind. You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time.

One of his favourite movies is the 'Mission Impossible' series.

"Gerard's personal philosophies of ethical excellence and team loyalty, derived from his lineage as the great-grandson of international Scouts founder Baden Powell, have found their perfect landing spot in the field of real estate. Gerard’s commitment to the local community is genuine and entrenched. In addition to his own family – wife Allison and three young daughters – much of the extended Baden-Clay family also lives within the 4069 postcode. Gerard is a keen supporter of the local Scouts and..."

http://www.blogger.com/profile/07907839226403813399

GBC hasn't posted on this blog since Xmas 2008 I think. It's all been downhill for him since then eh wot.

Hope Aunty isn't breaking the speed limit.:ufo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member