Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM:propeller:

You are right HGL, that would be a truly DEMONIC feature of society if there was one set of principles for the accused and different set for the innocents.

Freudian typo slip up no doubt!

LOL agreed

WOW! Marlywings. Thanks for a wonderful, educative resource. It's interesting that following a Committal hearing, the Magistrate can determine Bail or not until awaiting a further hearing date.

Yes thanks Marly. That virtual tour is excellent. I was expecting quite a different set-up than that.

It is certainly going to be very uncomfortable/humiliating for GBC.

Thanks also Alioop, as always :)

Hi Aunty - I found the page on WS that refers to that case, but I'd have to do a fair bit of research to catch up with the whole thing from the beginning, as I didn't see the 60 minutes story.

I'll see what I can get, but I'm on Telstra 3G mobile Internet here in Tassie, so limited bandwidth and allowance. But thanks for pointing me to it - I'll do some preliminary research on the case if I can. In between monitoring the two committals next week - GBC and the Jill Meagher accused, Bayley.

And I'll stop with the bad jokes already ;)

I actually laughed today, but ... about an hour after I read your first joke. It flew right over my head. Lucky for me I did catch it, and did have a good laugh.
It gets so consuming and serious in here so a joke is good medicine :) he he

The 60 mins story is a great start. This is where I heard about this case.
Watch carefully the husbands first few comments. I kept saying , he's lying.
I Waited in anticipation for a big twist , for the real story to be told, real crime reporting, but, it didnt happen. I was baffled as to why 60 mins ignored the mothers comments that he was evil. I needed to know what she meant.
So I googled their names, and couldn't believe that there is a whole other version of events , the wifes version, which needs to be heard.

I know it's no laughing matter, but if the main person he's threatening is himself, and he's schizophrenic - does that make it a hostage situation?

Sorry... my somewhat warped sense of humour there... ;)

Does that make him eligible for a 'two for the price of one offer'?
I saw him negotiating with himself!
Seriously-poor bugger :twocents:

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/police-end-standoff-that-shut-down-cbd-mall-20130308-2fq7k.html

Must be just my warped sense of humour again, but if he blew part of his own biceps off last week, you could say he must have been unarmed today.... ;)

And if he blew his fingers off - how was he going to pull the trigger?

Sorry... Again ;)

OK - I'll cease the awful bad-taste jokes, and get back to concentrating on the GBC case. Must be this holiday relaxation mode working...

Another armless joke?

To those who are planning on going on Monday and maybe even keeping us updated... any chance you can put up your twitter handle so that we can follow you? (Is that allowed Marly?)
TIA

Happy to set up a twitter account if anyone thinks it would be useful?

Otherwise was planning on posting here regularly through the day on Monday. I've have my ipad and phone.

Also will take paper and pen notes and post a more thorough report in the evening. I'm not sure if us attending sleuthers should divide tasks? Possibly too hard to arrange? I have a medical background (but not on scale of Dr. W).

I'm on 'holiday' next week, but kind of hoping that Monday won't be SO compelling that I'll feel the need to go in on subsequent days. J4A and Bruno, are you planning on attending later in the week?

Bruno, venn diagrams? Did I read a mention of that? I'm intrigued?

Hi brizzymum, you have no doubt seen my previous posts that Marly found about where to find the magistrates court at 363 George Street in the city. I have just looked at todays court list for magistrate court matters and it looks like most matters start at 9am and a couple at 8.30 am so if you got there around 8 you would be nice and early and have time to find where you need to go. When you can get into the building, find the court room and go and sit outside it and wait until the doors open. Go in as soon as they do so you can get a seat. Don't be shy, get in there. Check the online magistrates court brisbane list from 6.45 am on the day for the time and court room allocated.

http://www.courts.qld.gov.au/__external/CourtsLawList/BrisbaneMagCourt.pdf

Also suggest you don't take a pencil, take 2 pens. I only took a pencil with me to the second bail hearing and by the end it was worn down from my 23 pages of notes ( they were small A6 pages but still a lot of writing). I was worried it was going to break or run out on me and then I would be stuffed! No more notes! As it turned out my phone battery died before my pencil ran out. Oh and another tip, charge batteries so can twitter,post, whatever. Don't waste it like I did before I went into court posting about the weather! Silly me.

Alioop, If ever a phone battery meant so much to so many people it was at the last bail application.
I made a mental note to send Alioop a brand new battery, (if I could find out exactly what phone without stalking) but alas, here we are 3 days from Court and still no new battery for Alioop. Just want you to know, the thought was there! As I said before, never in all history, has Alioop's phone battery meant so much to so many!
Did you know that you can buy pocket "pens" that are actually both video and voice recorders? Not sure if they are available in Australia. Very inconspicuous too.

Thanks brizzymum. When I went to the second bail hearing I did find it hard to listen carefully and take good notes and at the same time post on ws. There will be downtimes between witnesses so as a suggestion, if you take good notes while the witness is in the witness box, then post as soon as they have finished. Speed to post is not as important as accurate notes I think.

TGY , have faith in the powers that be . They will get him . Good will prevail when evil men get caught .(court).

Alioop, If ever a phone battery meant so much to so many people it was at the last bail application.
I made a mental note to send Alioop a brand new battery, (if I could find out exactly what phone without stalking) but alas, here we are 3 days from Court and still no new battery for Alioop. Just want you to know, the thought was there! As I said before, never in all history, has Alioop's phone battery meant so much to so many!
Did you know that you can buy pocket "pens" that are actually both video and voice recorders? Not sure if they are available in Australia. Very inconspicuous too.

Ladybird I am laughing so hard, I can't stop. In my own defence, I did leave home with a fully charged battery!

Thanks brizzymum. When I went to the second bail hearing I did find it hard to listen carefully and take good notes and at the same time post on ws. There will be downtimes between witnesses so as a suggestion, if you take good notes while the witness is in the witness box, then post as soon as they have finished. Speed to post is not as important as accurate notes I think.

Good advice Alioop. OK, emphasis will be on the listening and notes.

Brizzymum - I'm still getting all my maps together at the moment and pinpointing locations before i can start with correlating time frames, but I'm getting there! (Hopefully done before it becomes irrelevent :banghead:)
I like the idea of dividing up note taking tasks, I'm happy with whatever so lets see what others attending think?

BBM (VERY interesting!!)

March 09, 2013

Police might be cross-examined, along with medical experts and residents from around the couple's home and the area where Allison's body was found.

Among the 43 witnesses expected to be called are Baden-Clay's staff, business partners and friends of the couple

Unlike some previous high-profile cases there were no plans to set up a separate media room, a justice department spokesman said.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...erard-baden-clay/story-e6freoof-1226593512565

Slightly off topic but I just caught a bit of a show on crime channel- eerily familiar! Husband and wife argue, she goes out for a walk and is never seen again... Husband has scratches on his face when he reports her missing.. Her body wasn't found for 2 years. He was charged and convicted for her murder.

Chief Magistrate Brendan Butler will be in charge of proceedings at GBC's committal hearing and I've included some further information on His Honour, Brendan Butler.

More than 40 witnesses expected for committal hearing for accused wife-killer Gerard Baden Clay

by: David Murray
March 09, 2013 12:00AM

At the conclusion of the hearing Chief Magistrate
Brendan Butler
will say whether Baden-Clay is committed to stand trial.

BBM.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...erard-baden-clay/story-e6freoof-1226593512565

Click to enlarge.
Chief Magistrate Brendan Butler.png
http://www.legalaid.qld.gov.au/publ...t-us/Pages/our-purpose-vision-and-values.aspx

Extra witnesses to face cross-examine in Morcombe murder case

September 14, 2012
Amy Remeikis

The legal team defending the man accused of murdering Daniel Morcombe has had a small win in a Brisbane Magistrates Court today.

After a one week adjournment to consider the matter, Chief Magistrate Judge Brendan Butler has allowed 11 of the prosecution's 16 "special" witnesses to be cross examined by the defence at Brett Peter Cowan's committal hearing in November.

Judge Butler had been asked to consider whether 16 witnesses should be made available for cross examination.

The witnesses, who the prosecution argued should not be cross examined at the committal, had given police information in a variety of ways, including hypnosis and looking at photo boards.

Judge Butler allowed 11 of those witnesses to be cross examined.

A further four witnesses, deemed contentious by both the defence and the prosecution, will be considered later this month in a closed court.

BBM.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...murder-case-20120914-25w4g.html#ixzz2MxP1n5lz

Queensland’s Chief Magistrate reappointed

“The former Chief Justice of the High Court, Sir Gerard Brennan, once compiled a list of the qualities needed by those holding judicial appointment.

“His list included integrity and independence of mind, moral courage, tolerance of differences, equitable temperament, humanity, commonsense, courtesy, humility of mind, and authority without pompousness.

“Judge Butler possesses all of these qualities and I look forward to working alongside the Chief Magistrate in the years to come,” he said.

BBM.

http://statements.qld.gov.au/Statement/Id/74073

Not sure if this has been posted, apologies if it has.

The case - which has become one of the state's most high-profile - will be heard in Court 17 at the Brisbane Magistrates Court in George St.

MORE than 40 witnesses will appear at next week's committal hearing for Gerard Baden-Clay.
Among the 43 witnesses expected to be called are Baden-Clay's staff, business partners and friends of the couple.
Police might be cross-examined, along with medical experts and residents from around the couple's home and the area where Allison's body was found.
The couple's relationship, finances and insurance arrangements are among the issues open to be probed.
The case has become one of the state's most high-profile; there are plans to set up a separate media room for this Court hearing.

I am glad you are so positive, and I applaud you for that...but what about Tina Watson, and her husband Gabe Watson...the honeymoon killer, the QLD Government stuffed that one up BIG TIME!!! That woman never got justice in my opinion.

The pivotal point of this investigation started when an astute young Constable Ash attended the Baden-Clay property and followed his gut. SIMPLE AS THAT. He could have walked away and thought 'ah another domestic'.
I have the utmost pride and trust in our young upcoming police in this regard.
BigApple you've hit the nail on the head with my thoughts. It doesn't need to be a stuff up but its these loopholes and politically correct decisions from the judicial system that can be the undoing of the wonderful work of our police force.
Yes we have the witnesses, statements & photos but on the day GBC will be there looking all fresh and shaved with his crisp new shirt with his forceful lawyers who could possibly 'win the day' as there are precedences set in stone. Unfortunately we see it time and time again the perp can be let off with a wrap across the knuckles, Jill Meagher should be alive to today.
Webslueths is not a 'lynch mob' mentality but a balanced forum which have looked at this murder investigation from all sides insideout and upsidedown but at times I fear of the possibility justice does not get served for this sweet young mother of three little innocents.
<modsnip>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member