Amanda Berry, Gina deJesus & Michelle Knight - General discussion #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone remember the Josef Fritz case? That's what this reminds me of.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritzl_case"]Fritzl case - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Well if they couldn't reach her on the phone, then maybe they should just have gotten their car and gone to visit her in person, or looked for other ways to contact her. Maybe contacting her acquaintances. But just canceling a missing persons report, because you can't get in contact with the persons mother is just lazy police work.

Anyways, if they really, truly wanted to get in contact with her, you don't think they could have found her? Even with all the resources that the police have at their disposal?
I don't know about really, truly wanting to find her, but I can tell you with certainty that it isn't easy once your forwarding address has expired. State databases don't talk to other state databases, so since she moved out of state, finding her would have been pretty difficult, especially 11 years ago. It's not like Ohio can see a Texas (or any other state) driver's license database or car registration database.

I'm not saying LE acted responsibly in any way, just that it's not always that easy to find someone when they move.

I doubt it, I did not see an AC unit on any of the photos of the house.
My grandparents lived a few neighborhoods further south from this area, same era of home, very similar style.
When we slept over when we were young, we would stay on the screened front porch in the summer. The upstairs was miserably hot.
They eventually got a window unit for their main floor later on.
In my opinion, that house would have had to been renovated to add AC and it certainly does not look updated based on the photos.
In fact, it does not even appear to be "taken care of".
Only one bathroom to share with him?? I cannot fathom. (that is IF he let them use the bathroom??)
I also cannot imagine being "locked up" in the basement either. Those older basements in that era of homes had that "icky old" basement smell.
I never went in my grandparents basement unless I had to help get the laundry...damp and dreary!
Yuk!!
I cannot even envision what those poor women went through.
A total nightmare.

I tend to agree. FWIW, according to records show that the house was last remodeled in the 1950s. I doubt that a remodel at that time would have included central air conditioning. I don't think that Castro gave a f- if it was too hot for them. He apparently complained about the gas bill for the house. So it wouldn't surprise me if he let the house get pretty damn cold in the winter too.

One of the articles said that the house did not have air conditioning.

Ah thank you, I missed that. I saw a couple of other replies about how it'd probably have window units that would be visible in some of the pics we've seen, which is a good point. I know they were going through so much worse than the heat/cold/humidity in the house, but this just makes me feel so bad for them all over again.

That they didn't suffocate or suffer heat stroke is a miracle in itself...I doubt this scum would spring for a box fan for himself much less a window ac...

I tend to agree. FWIW, according to records show that the house was last remodeled in the 1950s. I doubt that a remodel at that time would have included central air conditioning. I don't think that Castro gave a f- if it was too hot for them. He apparently complained about the gas bill for the house. So it wouldn't surprise me if he let the house get pretty damn cold in the winter too.

Oh, yes, the "lake Erie effect" cold winters...you are correct, they probably froze in the winters too!
The gas/electric company probably never questioned his usage, he was too cheap and could care less to heat or cool the place adequately.
I wonder how they had the will to live and survive?
Each other and prayers they would be rescued??

I completely agree. Or even if not a hoarder, just someone who's very private and/or doesn't keep his house very clean. I have a close relative whose house I haven't been into in many years (don't want to specify who in case they read this forum someday :) ). This relative almost always comes to my house or we meet out somewhere, but if I do go there for some reason will almost always come out and meet me in the driveway. I honestly didn't even think it was unusual until I had a friend point it out to me. Last time I was actually inside the house (probably at least 8 years ago now) it was messy but not "hoarder" level, just really not clean. There is no way there's something sinister "hidden" in there, just an embarrassing mess that became overwhelming and as a result it snowballed. I delicately offered to come help clean up figuring the two of us could tackle it more easily together, but apparently I wasn't delicate enough (?) because that's the last time I've been inside the house.

One of the band members who had been to AC's house said the first floor was reasonably neat.

Ah thank you, I missed that. I saw a couple of other replies about how it'd probably have window units that would be visible in some of the pics we've seen, which is a good point. I know they were going through so much worse than the heat/cold/humidity in the house, but this just makes me feel so bad for them all over again.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...e-monster-life-next-door-to-ariel-castro.html

In more recent years, Parker would come over in the heat of the summer to work on his rental house, on Seymour Avenue on Cleveland’s west side. As sweat poured from his brow, he would notice that next door was buttoned down—windows tightly sealed, no air conditioning, all the blinds shut. And he knew Castro was in there because his car was parked out front.

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/lo...e-3-cleveland-women-held-captive-for-10-years

Downstairs, there is a living area with three smaller rooms and no air conditioning.

I don't know about really, truly wanting to find her, but I can tell you with certainty that it isn't easy once your forwarding address has expired. State databases don't talk to other state databases, so since she moved out of state, finding her would have been pretty difficult, especially 11 years ago. It's not like Ohio can see a Texas (or any other state) driver's license database or car registration database.

I'm not saying LE acted responsibly in any way, just that it's not always that easy to find someone when they move.

With all due respect all state data bases for driver's license and car registrations are connected, and have been for the last 50 years. They can even check some foreign countries. It takes seconds for them to get that type of information.

Room air conditioners fit in windows, and I highly doubt he had a fancy outdoor unit for whole house air. Small thing I guess considering what else was going on, but damn, that had to be brutal upstairs with hot air rising.

Basements stay reasonably cool in the summer as well.

With all due respect all state data bases for driver's license and car registrations are connected, and have been for the last 50 years. They can even check some foreign countries. It takes seconds for them to get that type of information.

I don't know about 50 years, because prior to 9-11 it was a lot easier to get drivers licenses after one had been suspended in one state.
I know Arizona (ticket) keeps finding me, even after a name change and completely new drivers license number (I'm not purposely evading)...but they definitely can find me based on either credit report info or drivers license info.

IF someone doesn't drive, or perhaps is on a mostly cash basis...they may be harder to track. (Not saying either applies here) But she may have made it as difficult to find her as she thought her daughter made it to find her. :twocents:

Ariel Castro's lawyers...Wow. Yes in American you get a trial but for then to say they met with him for three hours and he is not a monster and to say the truth will come out. What truth could there be to why you kidnap, rape, abuse, etc.? Are they going to try for mental issues or blame the victims in some way? Crazy.

Maybe they are going to claim that the girls ran away and he provided space to them- but I'm hoping his little journal is admissible and is as forthcoming as the media reports claim.

Angie 33
Anthony 31
Emily abt 27
Arlene 22 or 23

We are supposed to think that if a young teenager or woman accepts a ride from a man that anything that happens to them at the hands of the driver is okay. Preposterous. He has no defense for his the atrocious abuse he perpetrated on these women! Thankfully he didn't kill them but they may have yearned for death in the times he horribly tortured them. I hope he gets the death penalty for murdering the unborn babies.

I don't know about 50 years, because prior to 9-11 it was a lot easier to get drivers licenses after one had been suspended in one state.
I know Arizona (ticket) keeps finding me, even after a name change and completely new drivers license number (I'm not purposely evading)...but they definitely can find me based on either credit report info or drivers license info.

IF someone doesn't drive, or perhaps is on a mostly cash basis...they may be harder to track. (Not saying either applies here) But she may have made it as difficult to find her as she thought her daughter made it to find her. :twocents:

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REAL_ID_Act"]REAL ID Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
The REAL ID Act of 2005:

The REAL ID Act Driver's License Summary[15] details the following provisions of the Act's driver's license title:

Linking of databases

Its the National Driver Register (NDR). It was created in 1960.

National Driver Register celebrates 50 years
with 21st century upgrade

Its the National Driver Register (NDR). It was created in 1960.

National Driver Register celebrates 50 years
with 21st century upgrade

Says nothing about a national database for car registrations and driver licenses. That was not done until 2005. The NDR was a database for suspended or revoked driver licenses or drug or alcohol violatons or other serious driving offenses. I never knew there was something like that.

To help keep dangerous drivers off the roads, the National Driver Register (NDR) was created in 1960 to help states communicate which drivers have had their licenses suspended or revoked or have been convicted of serious traffic violations such as driving while impaired by alcohol or drugs.

Angie 33
Anthony 31
Emily abt 27
Arlene 22 or 23

Oh my goodness, he had a daughter the exact same age as those he kidnapped. WTH. Coincidence????

I'd be looking to see if there were any attempted abductions of boys after Knight was taken and before Berry........Or maybe it's just about the girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne