Greece American tourist a retired cop, 59, not returned from a solo hike, Amorgos Island, 11 June 24

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It sounds like the searches are concentrated to the NW of the trail, not on the SE (the side with the steep drop-off). I don't know if this is true but it seems to be based on phone pings. Take all of this with a huge grain of salt.

Yet, I keep reading that he was last witnessed about 2 hours from the trailhead at Aegiali by a woman who sold him a soda drink and water. Her location was not specified, but 2 hours into the hike would be at the inflection point of the trail where the NW corner merges with the SE side, at the region of the village of Asphondilitus which is described in other sources as abandoned. There is a road up from the west side that goes up to Asphondilitis and it meets up with the trail near what is marked on maps as the Steki cafe/restaurant and the Agios Nicholaos church.

It's been stated that his intent was to meet someone in Katapola after his hike, so we would presume he had no reason to explore, or deviate from the path he knew, and he knew it well enough to predict his arrival time. Perhaps he actually turned around and went back NW on the trail he had just done, perhaps to retrieve something he dropped, like a phone. or just from disorientation. I think the possibility is still out there that he might have gotten into someone's vehicle at Asphondilitus and then an untoward attack occurred, or he actually died of heatstroke and his body was hidden by someone not wanting to be implicated in the death of a foreigner.

Sadly, I think all cards are still on the table at this point.

Last edited:
It sounds like the searches are concentrated to the NW of the trail, not on the SE (the side with the steep drop-off). I don't know if this is true but it seems to be based on phone pings. Take all of this with a huge grain of salt.
Maybe he was trying to get to the closest road, where he could get picked up or even an ambulence?

I think he'd know that there'd be no medi-vac helicopter, or trained search and rescue personel standing by to bring him water, IV, etc.

Calling for help in the middle of the hike would mean that someone, probably less fit than he was, would have to hike out and find him, carrying extra supplies.

At least if he got to a road they could quickly just drive there. I think he might go off trail to try to find the road more quickly.

JMO

Sorry for quoting myself but I've done a bit more research of this area. It seems that this is the general area that one might walk through if you were hiking from Chora down to Kapatola. So did Albert make it to Chora and he just continued motoring on? This hike from Chora to Kapatola is about one hour and is basically downhill, although there are certainly deep ravines and the terrain is not flat.

Here is the description from the Amorgos website of the normal hiking route one would take:

CHORA – MILIES – ST. IRINI – KATAPOLA (XILOKERATIDI)​

This easy walk starts from the northern part of the Chora (Vorina), where the path follows alongside the deep ravine, Kato Filladi. Just opposite is the chapel of the Madonna of Fidopotamianis and immediately after the second chapel of the Archangel. Then it crosses the area of “Fonias” and arrives at Milies, with lush vegetation and springs and in the old time it was a ceramic workshop here. The path continues through the olive grove of Gialyna to the chapel of St. Irini and ends in Katapola (Xilokeratidi).

Sorry for quoting myself but I've done a bit more research of this area. It seems that this is the general area that one might walk through if you were hiking from Chora down to Kapatola. So did Albert make it to Chora and he just continued motoring on? This hike from Chora to Kapatola is about one hour and is basically downhill, although there are certainly deep ravines and the terrain is not flat.

Here is the description from the Amorgos website of the normal hiking route one would take:

As he has not been located by local searchers with experience in the area and no other hikers have noted anything unusual about the trails, it is certainly wise to think a bit outside the obvious trail route and consider exactly that, Snoopster.

Here is the All-Trails description.

"From Chora of Amorgos, the route heads west along the southern slopes of the green gorge of the Fonia stream, full of terraces. Initially following a good path and then a dirt road, the route ends at the beach of the Rachidi village, while heading southwest to Katapola. Very beautiful view to the sea and the narrow bay of Katapola."

He was going in the easy direction, all downhill, with some areas of shade. However, if you are in the early stages of heatstroke, all bets are off as to what might have happened. Could he have wandered looking for a stream? And, one would think his phones would ping there, unless they were lost way back during the first hour of the hike and he wasn't aware of it until he got into trouble later on.

It's really lovely and quite an appealing hike. I can see why he would want to return to Amorgas and to enjoy hiking there often.

ABC News has a video which includes an interview with Calibet's girlfriend Debbie, as well as his brother, Oliver.
Is this the same "Debbie" who has posted on Amorgos FB mentioned earlier? And, has it been confirmed Calibet had no cell service on the trail??

Retired Los Angeles County Sheriff’s deputy Albert Calibet, 59, from Hermosa Beach, California, was reported missing after he didn’t return from a hike on the island of Amorgos.

“We’re sick to our stomachs, knowing he’s out there somewhere,” his girlfriend Debbie Leshane told KABC.

She said that Calibet called her just before he left to go on a hike. At about 9.20am local time on Tuesday, he had sent an image from the trailhead sign. That was the last time she heard from him.

On the island of Amorgos, also in the Cyclades, authorities are still searching for a 59-year-old tourist reported missing since Tuesday, when he had gone on a solo hike in very hot conditions. U.S. media identified the missing tourist as retired Los Angeles County Deputy Sheriff Albert Calibet of Hermosa Beach, California

On the island of Amorgos, also in the Cyclades, authorities are still searching for a 59-year-old tourist reported missing since Tuesday, when he had gone on a solo hike in very hot conditions. U.S. media identified the missing tourist as retired Los Angeles County Deputy Sheriff Albert Calibet of Hermosa Beach, California

Last edited:
An article on The DAILY TELEGRAPH app on my phone says

"American tourist Eric Calibet, 57, Missing since Tuesday June 11, found dead Sunday June 16"

However the text of the article, which outlines all the heat-related missing or dead tourists in the Grecian islands describes the search for missing American tourist Albert Calibet continues.

I am not sure what is correct. Using the name Albert doesn't bring up any new information.

* Edited because I had stated it was the BBC, but it was The Daily Telegraph. No one else has reported this. However, several other UK tabloid papers are using the name Eric Calibet, rather than Albert Calibet.

Last edited:
An article on the BBC app on my phone says

"American tourist Eric Calibet, 57, Missing since Tuesday June 11, found dead Sunday June 16"

However the text of the article, which outlines all the heat-related missing or dead tourists in the Grecian islands describes the search for missing American tourist Albert Calibet continues.

I am not sure what is correct. Using the name Albert doesn't bring up any new information.
Thanks for the update. I'll have a look at the BBC app.

Thanks for the update. I'll have a look at the BBC app.
APLOGY:

The mistaken post is from the Daily Telegraph, not the BBC. I found the same mistake on the Daily Telegraph on-line website.

What made it seem credible was that the report says he was found today, Sunday June 16. That is not correct.

I have edited my above post to make the change. I note that the incorrect name of Eric is used by other UK tabloid news sites, like Daily Mirror.

Dbm. Yuk. Copying a Yahoo News article showing the name Eric Albert Calibet and it is pasting an article by the Independent.

Ebm - screenshot added.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240617_051332_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240617_051332_Chrome.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
An article on The DAILY TELEGRAPH app on my phone says

* Edited because I had stated it was the BBC, but it was The Daily Telegraph. No one else has reported this. However, several other UK tabloid papers are using the name Eric Calibet, rather than Albert Calibet.
All the media are reporting that an unidentified American was found deceased near Corfu, but that the search for Albert continues. I think the lack of a name for the confirmed deceased man has confused some of them...

All the media are reporting that an unidentified American was found deceased near Corfu, but that the search for Albert continues. I think the lack of a name for the confirmed deceased man has confused some of them...

Yes, especially when the headline is Missing American found Dead, but they use the photo of Eric Albert Calibet and it isn't until half a page down they finally note that the search from him continues.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back