Greece American tourist a retired cop, 59, not returned from a solo hike, Amorgos Island, 11 June 24

I do note in other people's photos posted on All Trails of hikes on Amargos, that often the trail is next to the stone walls of the terraces. From these photos, many areas looks rocky but well trod. There are really no wilderness areas on this very small island, it's more like acres of ancient stone walls with pens or even windmills here and there. And goat trails, too.

The brother did complain bitterly that the US Consulate could offer no help in organizing a search and had no resources. I think mention was also made that shepherds were aware and were also alerted to search for him.

I think posters and a reward could be very useful.
It's possible that a helicopter search could miss seeing EAC if (like Dr Moseley recently) he was potentially seeking shade alongside a wall. As said above, there are lots of walls. SAR on foot would have to take in both sides of a wall, as depending on the time of day the shade could fall on either side and not necessarily the side adjacent to a path or trail.

Sky news channel - video - about 9 days ago - how they found Dr Mosley's body after he went missing after his Greek island hike. He describes how this area had previously been searched by helicopter and by drones and it was bad luck they didn't see him.

rbbm
''Albert Calibet, 59, a retired police officer who holds duel U.S.-French citizenship, was still missing Monday after he set out on a hike alone Tuesday morning on the island of Amorgos. Two French women were also missing, according to reports in Greek media.

A Greek rescue operation leader said tourists appeared unaware of the risks they face walking in the extreme heat.

"We saw a couple [of tourists] walking a trail in 41C [105.8F] without hats," Dimitris Katatzis told local media, according to Britain's Independent newspaper. "It defies logic."

Hopes are fading that the two French tourists who disappeared in Sikino will be found alive: Αγωνία για την τύχη των δύο τουριστριών στη Σίκινο - Συνεχίζονται οι έρευνες

<MOD NOTE - Second link is a google translated link of the first>

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopes are fading that the two French tourists who disappeared in Sikino will be found alive: Αγωνία για την τύχη των δύο τουριστριών στη Σίκινο - Συνεχίζονται οι έρευνες

<MOD NOTE - Second link is a google translated link of the first>
Interesting to note the two women may not have been hiking together. I had wrongly assumed they were. Apparently Sikinos is largely undeveloped, attracts few tourists, and has rugged terrain.

A thread has been opened for the missing ladies on Sikinos.

This article says the authorities believe the women went hiking together though they were not staying at the same guest house/hotel.

Last edited:
Maybe I've missed the info but... have any type of tracking dogs been used?

There do not appear to be any tracking dogs on the very small island of Amargos and the information from EAC's brother indicates that although Greek authorities say there are tracking dogs, none are there and no one seems to have any confirmed plans to send them there.

The article curiously says he is getting a lawyer in order to get tracking dogs to Amargos. This seems like it would take up very valuable time.

The Daily Telegraph has an article about the missing French women on Sikinos.

Several comments remind me that there is a rather amazing app available for phones to use for location:

what3words

Basically the entire earth is divided up into 3 m x 3m squares and a unique combination of 3 words is used to describe the location. This means that one does not have to deal with Google coordinates or such and if help is needed, sending a mail with the 3 words gives a hugely precise location.

I've got it on my phone and my house actually has 10 different 3 word descriptions.

In the case of the missing French woman, the phone info can only give searchers an idea of the south end of the island, whereas what3words would have pinpointed exactly where to look for her.

As with EAC, this would be invaluable if he was connected to his phone when he first disappeared.

I wonder why he had two phones. If one phone was a local phone, due to the US phone not working abroad, then why have two phones to carry on a four hour hike? Although, I do not think we have confirmation that he had two phones actually on him at the time.

I have traveled abroad many times and I have never had to get a second phone so I am curious about why he has two of them.

There do not appear to be any tracking dogs on the very small island of Amargos and the information from EAC's brother indicates that although Greek authorities say there are tracking dogs, none are there and no one seems to have any confirmed plans to send them there.

The article curiously says he is getting a lawyer in order to get tracking dogs to Amargos. This seems like it would take up very valuable time.
I don't know if this is relevant but they initially used a tracking dog when searching for Dr. Mosley on Symi last week. However, the dog's paws were injured by sharp stones and excessive heat of the ground at the time. The dog was not able to work under the conditions. I don't know if the same applies to Amorgos.

I wonder why he had two phones. If one phone was a local phone, due to the US phone not working abroad, then why have two phones to carry on a four hour hike? Although, I do not think we have confirmation that he had two phones actually on him at the time.

I have traveled abroad many times and I have never had to get a second phone so I am curious about why he has two of them.
I can see using two phones.

One USA based for communications with GF and family. The other Greek based, cheaper local rates and perhaps less difficult access.

Sadly, not a GPS satellite phone, apparently as they tend to be quite expensive

His brother is frustrated with the (seeming) inaction of the US Embassy:

The brother had to get a lawyer to obtain a permit for tracking dogs to get involved - 8 days into the disappearance. He also had to get a permit to ping his brother's phone. He had to sign a statement that he believed a crime had been committed when making a request for raw data from the cell towers.

Last edited:
There are two hiking trails from the location where he purchased water to Chora. One route goes past the monastery, the other route is to the West of the highest elevation.

View attachment 511381
topography trail map
Yes, and that upper path does go very close to a dirt road at another point. He might have considered hitchhiking if he was running late because of a late start.

But we don't really know exactly when he started 7ish or 9ish or maybe even 8ish

I don't know if this is relevant but they initially used a tracking dog when searching for Dr. Mosley on Symi last week. However, the dog's paws were injured by sharp stones and excessive heat of the ground at the time. The dog was not able to work under the conditions. I don't know if the same applies to Amorgos.
Yes, Greek authorities may have decided against using dogs due to the significant problems they had in the search for the late Dr. Mosely.

Yes, and that upper path does go very close to a dirt road at another point. He might have considered hitchhiking if he was running late because of a late start.

But we don't really know exactly when he started 7ish or 9ish or maybe even 8ish
I'm leaning towards him starting the hike around 7, and sending the photo of the trailhead at the same time as buying water at 9:20. That would place him at Katapola at noon for his lunch appointment. If he started the trail at 9:20, he would be too late for lunch.

I'm leaning towards him starting the hike around 7, and sending the photo of the trailhead at the same time as buying water at 9:20. That would place him at Katapola at noon for his lunch appointment. If he started the trail at 9:20, he would be too late for lunch.
Yes. I'll give him credit for knowing it was going to be hot and being smart enough to go for an early start.
Probably going through his phone when he stopped for water at Asphondilatis, and remembered to send a photo to GF. This could indicate that he had his US phone at that point and it was working. However, he didn't send her a "Here I am Now" photo, which is kind of curious. The view from there must have been amazing and worth a quick snap to her.

As a long-time first responder I'll bet he had all sorts of mapping and alert apps on there. Mystery as to why none of them were activated or alerted his GF when a photo certainly was sent.

Still no traces of him found since then.

Last edited:
Yes. I'll give him credit for knowing it was going to be hot and being smart enough to go for an early start.
Probably going through his phone when he stopped for water at Asphondilatis, and remembered to send a photo to GF. This could indicate that he had his phone at that point and it was working.

Still no traces of him found since then.
Bbm

Yes this seems the most plausible explanation. Trailhead sign sent to GF at 9.20am.
What confused me was the sign said Asforiditis 2 hours and created a bit of confusion in my mind as to when he started his hike.

The back of 7am seems way more likely to be the starting time. I am still of the mind that he is in the Steki Tou Machera area.

A poster had mentioned upthread, can't remember which, that drinking Coke in hot weather can create stomach problems. Not sure how accurate that is but perhaps could offer an explanation to what happened.

IMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hirundo
Back