Greece American tourist a retired cop, 59, not returned from a solo hike, Amorgos Island, 11 June 24

Bbm

Yes this seems the most plausible explanation. Trailhead sign sent to GF at 9.20am.
What confused me was the sign said Asforiditis 2 hours and created a bit of confusion in my mind as to when he started his hike.

The back of 7am seems way more likely to be the starting time. I am still of the mind that he is in the Steki Tou Machera area.

A poster had mentioned upthread, can't remember which, that drinking Coke in hot weather can create stomach problems. Not sure how accurate that is but perhaps could offer an explanation to what happened.

IMO

I assume the Coke would be chilled otherwise it would be undrinkable at 100F. It has sugar and caffeine. A quick cold pick-me-up for a hot hike. I also assume he ate something for breakfast and had some coffee, too, so it wasn't as though this was all on an empty stomach.

Whatever happened, was after he left that place and was so sudden he didn't have time to make a phone call, hit an emergency button, run or walk back to the Steki place, and didn't cause him to drop anything or leave any sign of a struggle, a fall, a note, drop his pack, make a signal cairn or use a rescue whistle, mirror, or a fire. The very short comment about the interaction with Sophia does not sound as though she thought he was in distress, looked ill, or was not making any sense. The mention does not indicate she thought there was anything wrong with him.

It is, indeed, as if he tumbled off a cliff or wandered deliriously into a ravine.

I assume the Coke would be chilled otherwise it would be undrinkable at 100F. It has sugar and caffeine. A quick cold pick-me-up for a hot hike. I also assume he ate something for breakfast and had some coffee, too, so it wasn't as though this was all on an empty stomach.

Whatever happened, was after he left that place and was so sudden he didn't have time to make a phone call, hit an emergency button, run or walk back to the Steki place, and didn't cause him to drop anything or leave any sign of a struggle, a fall, a note, drop his pack, make a signal cairn or use a rescue whistle, mirror, or a fire. The very short comment about the interaction with Sophia does not sound as though she thought he was in distress, looked ill, or was not making any sense. The mention does not indicate she thought there was anything wrong with him.

It is, indeed, as if he tumbled off a cliff or wandered deliriously into a ravine.
Indeed, just fell off the face of the earth apparently.

Bbm

Yes this seems the most plausible explanation. Trailhead sign sent to GF at 9.20am.
What confused me was the sign said Asforiditis 2 hours and created a bit of confusion in my mind as to when he started his hike.

The back of 7am seems way more likely to be the starting time. I am still of the mind that he is in the Steki Tou Machera area.

A poster had mentioned upthread, can't remember which, that drinking Coke in hot weather can create stomach problems. Not sure how accurate that is but perhaps could offer an explanation to what happened.

IMO
BBM
Drinking soda in hot weather can apparently cause kidney damage. From Prevention magazine:
You know soda increases your risk of diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and poor dental health down the road, but soft drinks can also contribute to a more immediate health risk: dehydration. Research from the American Physiological Society found that using soft drinks to rehydrate actually worsens dehydration and increases kidney injuries, compared to plain water or water sweetened with stevia. Though the study was performed on rats, researchers say the findings still raise serious concerns for people who regularly quench their thirst with soda.

BBM
Drinking soda in hot weather can apparently cause kidney damage. From Prevention magazine:
You know soda increases your risk of diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and poor dental health down the road, but soft drinks can also contribute to a more immediate health risk: dehydration. Research from the American Physiological Society found that using soft drinks to rehydrate actually worsens dehydration and increases kidney injuries, compared to plain water or water sweetened with stevia. Though the study was performed on rats, researchers say the findings still raise serious concerns for people who regularly quench their thirst with soda.

I'm not going to believe EAC suffered acute renal failure or acute dehydration from drinking one can of Coke on a hot day and that's why we can't find him. Coke also has a little bit of sodium, so that can replenish a bit that was sweated out.

Sure, if all you REGULARLY drank on a hot day was a liter or 3 of Coke, you are going to get dehydrated because there is high osmolality sugary liquid, not free water

But not one can of Coke.

Last edited:
BBM
Thank you for that. So, it might explain it. Still, leaning towards heatstroke but you never know.

Soda doesn't dehydrate you. All drinks, except alcohol, lead to net hydration. There is a small diuretic effect from caffeine/sugar but coke is still mostly water, so it leads to net hydration. If anything the sugar would help him to keep going a bit longer.

Soda doesn't dehydrate you. All drinks, except alcohol, lead to net hydration. There is a small diuretic effect from caffeine/sugar but coke is still mostly water, so it leads to net hydration. If anything the sugar would help him to keep going a bit longer.
Tbh. I was never fully invested in the coke hypothesis. But an earlier poster well upthread had stated it and I thought it was worth putting it out there.

The week prior, two unrelated tourists died on Crete.

One was 63 and the other was 70. Both collapsed and died, the older man having a known heart condition. Dr. Mosely was 67. The Dutch tourist who died was 84. The American tourist who died was 55.

The common issue with these deaths and collapses is exposure to high ambient temperature and an age over 50. EAC is just reaching that point and although he seems very fit, he may have some underlying mild health conditions that put him at higher risk. I think heatstroke just has to be the most likely cause for his disappearance. I wish he could be found soon.

The week prior, two unrelated tourists died on Crete.

One was 63 and the other was 70. Both collapsed and died, the older man having a known heart condition. Dr. Mosely was 67. The Dutch tourist who died was 84. The American tourist who died was 55.

The common issue with these deaths and collapses is exposure to high ambient temperature and an age over 50. EAC is just reaching that point and although he seems very fit, he may have some underlying mild health conditions that put him at higher risk. I think heatstroke just has to be the most likely cause for his disappearance. I wish he could be found soon.

Bbm.

Me too. He is a year older than me and looks a bit like me so I am really pulling for him. I'm not a hiker myself but I am fond of road walking for upto 3 hours at a time so I get what he was doing. I hope he is found soon.

Bbm.

Me too. He is a year older than me and looks a bit like me so I am really pulling for him. I'm not a hiker myself but I am fond of road walking for upto 3 hours at a time so I get what he was doing. I hope he is found soon.

My guess would be that he has some hypertension, maybe a pre-diabetic elevated A1c, possibly mild coronary artery disease. These are slow and progressive diseases of our age. They are not suddenly turned on by a switch. When you get diagnosed with one of these diseases, you have had subclinical disease for a decade or more and it just reaches a diagnostic threshold at certain levels. If you are generous with alcoholic beverages and find great foods irresistible, you are also going to have a bit more cardiac stress.

When your core temperature goes above safe levels, with these conditions you just don't have the cardiac reserve to tolerate them and unless cooling therapy is immediately started, the hyperthermia will only get worse.

But it's a matter of doing what you love. I'd rather die of heatstroke at 84 f rather than heart attack at 104 I could have enjoyed the last 30 years of fun in the Grecian isles.

Last edited:
My guess would be that he has some hypertension, maybe a pre-diabetic elevated A1c, possibly mild coronary artery disease. These are slow and progressive diseases of our age. They are not suddenly turned on by a switch. When you get diagnosed with one of these diseases, you have had subclinical disease for a decade or more and it just reaches a diagnostic threshold at certain levels. If you are generous with alcoholic beverages and find great foods irresistible, you are also going to have a bit more cardiac stress.

When your core temperature goes above safe levels, with these conditions you just don't have the cardiac reserve to tolerate them and unless cooling therapy is immediately started, the hyperthermia will only get worse.

But it's a matter of doing what you love. I'd rather die of heatstroke at 84 if I could have enjoyed the last 30 years of fun in the Grecian isles.
Yeah. I don't want even want to think about what's going on in my body given my age. And yes, I am guilty of imbibing too much and eating the wrong foods, but, hey ho. You're quite right though doing what you love is, imo, the key to life. It appears that Mr Calibet was living the dream. How many of us can say that in our own lives.

As for the question of whether the photo SENT at 9:20 was actually TAKEN at 9:20 or perhaps hours earlier: would the metadata of the photo be attached to the recipient's copy of the photo as well as the original? If yes, then LE can determine when the photo was actually taken, not just when it was sent.

MOO

Yeah. I don't want even want to think about what's going on in my body given my age. And yes, I am guilty of imbibing too much and eating the wrong foods, but, hey ho. You're quite right though doing what you love is, imo, the key to life. It appears that Mr Calibet was living the dream. How many of us can say that in our own lives.

He truly was doing something he loved and it sounds like a pipe dream to most of us. Heck, even if we were on a Greek cruise or a two-week holiday we'd never have the luxury of getting to know a small quiet Greek island and it's day-to-day lifestyle as he has.

Sounds a lot better than sitting back in the back yard with a beer after mowing the lawn, but that's OK too if you haven't got the freedom to live in an idyllic island paradise.

It's truly something to admire.

As for the question of whether the photo SENT at 9:20 was actually TAKEN at 9:20 or perhaps hours earlier: would the metadata of the photo be attached to the recipient's copy of the photo as well as the original? If yes, then LE can determine when the photo was actually taken, not just when it was sent.

MOO

I think there are a lot of things the GF knows that just haven't been stated or explained in the news. We are just used to so much more information about a missing person investigation. Such as where they stayed, whether his car has been found and the contents examined, who he was meeting, etc. I truly hope they help to find him.

Sadly, there is also a 19 year-old missing British hiker on the island of Tenerife. He was attending a festival and managed to hike his way into getting lost 10 hours away by foot from the festival.

There is a thread here for it: Jay Slater

Every place these days needs drones. They're not expensive and towns and cities could purchase them, train the locals how to operate them and then there would be drone militias for SAR ready to go.
In most situations, SAR does not solicit help from the public, and discourages them from involving themselves. This is a safety thing for everyone concerned.

I think black (or dark) clothing is actually considered better for you if your sat in the sun for a long time as it can help block UV.

For walking though I’d say black is worse as it absorbs more heat which results in you sweating more.
Yes, and these days we have fabrics that have UV protection built in. They have a very tight weave. Billowy is good, too, that's why I recommended above that women use safari shirts in tropical heat, and wear them loose and unbuttoned. They dry superfast and are very efficient at wicking. This makes them cooler than shirtless.

We had a case a few years ago in Joshua NP, also with a man who wore a black tee and shorts, also at super high temps. "Quick hike", left in early morning. He was found a while later when some civilians (IIRC) were going over drone footage and spotted an anomaly. Those conditions are quite similar to this one.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kelseydeec
Back