Greece American tourist a retired cop, 59, not returned from a solo hike, Amorgos Island, 11 June 24

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
No one has brought up the likelihood that the cell phone simply fried in the sun? Cell phones don’t work if they overheat. On these Greek “hikes” where foreigners go missing, there’s no way a phone will stay reliable. In the pocket of your black t-shirt? Next to a thigh? In the top section of your pack? Those are heat magnets.

I went hiking in Greece when I was younger (in September/October, not summer heat) and even then the recommended amount of water to carry on a 5 hour hike was 6-8 liters of water. That's at least 4 of those big 1.5 liter water bottles. It makes for a very heavy backpack. Just to give some perspective on what 'enough water' is. This was the recommendation of experienced local hikers and/or hiking tour guides.

I assume when they say 'went off track' they don't necessarily mean that they deliberately went off track. The tracks aren't well posted so people might end of on a goat track rather than the official track. With that and heat stroke, the reason why it's hard to find missing hikers is that they are not where you expect them to be.

Lack of rain in Greek Agean islands is causing reservoirs to dry up and saline ingrowth into water supplies.

I certainly commiserate more with the farmers who will only get half a harvest this year because of the lack of water, and less with the hotels and tourists who demand daily showers and large swimming pools.

The price of Olive Oil in Uk shops has almost doubled in the last few months because of the terrible olive harvest. A minor inconvenience for shoppers like me but a disaster for the farmers.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gethuman_us
Back