Anita Rose, 57, walking her dog, police investigating suspected murder, Brantham, Suffolk, 24th July 2024'

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I am unable to watch the Crimewatch Live video, as it’s only available in the UK, so thank you for sharing that.

Just some thoughts…

Then, Anita being found injured where she was is not a mystery, as she most likely was walking there, on her way home?

If that is correct:

She was reportedly at the top of Newmill Lane at The Street intersection at 6:03.

The spot where she was found on the track behind the sewage works is about 4300 ft (1.3 km) (.81 mile) from that Newmill spot.

(I am unable, for some reason, to add a map here showing the mileage measurement that gave me the 4300 ft figure.)

If she walked about 3 mph, it would take about 16 minutes.

6:03 am + 16 min = 6:19 am

The cyclist found Anita at 6:25 am!

What an incredibly short window of time for the assault to take place, if my math is accurate. (Granted, I’m terrible at math. :p)

Also, very puzzling that her top was taken along with her windbreaker jacket.

Yes, that is my understanding after watching that, that her location itself is not a mystery now.

Your maths on the distances looks good to me - from home to the point she turned off the app is about 3 miles and took roughly an hour. 3mph walking a dog seems a fairly decent pace and seems about right - from looking at the cctv I thought Anita was moving at a decent pace, no doubt to get the mileage in and give a spaniel a good walk before she went to work.

A very short window as you say.

Today's episode of Crimewatch Live featuring Anita's case (for those who are able to watch)

I've written up a transcript of certain parts -

Daughter - Mum would get up early to walk Bruce in the mornings, so that he had a good walk before she went to work. Being a Springer he needed a lot of exercise.

Narrator - On Weds 24th July this year Anita and her dog Bruce left their house on Palfrey Heights to begin their daily early morning walk on the outskirts of the village.

Police - She left at 5 o’clock that morning. It was light at that point. Anita used an app on her phone that enabled her to track the route that she’s taken around Brantham. As Anita leaves her home address she’d walk through the estate in a north east direction. Anita and Bruce circled the church and walked down south on Rectory Lane out into the open countryside. From that point she’d be following the path along the railway line that runs through Brantham until she turned right towards the top of Newmill Lane. As she reached the top of Newmill Lane she stopped her app at 6.03 that morning but we know from previous walks that same location has been where Anita’s previously stopped her phone. By that point of the walk she’d walked for about 3 miles.

Narrator - Police believe Anita followed the track parallel to the railway line the way she came, but instead of turning right and back towards the church she carried straight on towards a pond, where she’d often take Bruce at the end of their walk. But Anita didn’t make it that far.

Police - At 6.25am a male cycling towards the railway station found Anita unconscious on the path at the bottom of Rectory Lane near the water sewage plant. He could see facial injuries and immediately called an ambulance. Bruce her dog was by her side with the lead wrapped around her leg.

Narrator - Anita was taken to Addenbrooke’s hospital but died 4 days later. […]

In the studio -

Presenter - I’m joined now by DCI Matthew Connick who’s investigating this matter. Matthew what can you tell us about her last movements that day?

Police - So it started as a normal day for Anita. She’d always leave for an early morning dog walk and that morning she left her address in Palfrey Heights in Brantham at 5am. She used a tracking app on her phone which was linked to her dog walks. She’d receive a reward after about an hour’s walk. So we can see the route she’s taken (map on screen) up towards the church and then she heads down south towards the railway line out into the open countryside. And then she heads up towards the top of Newmill Lane. We see her walk down that lane to the river, before she doubles back on herself. And at 6.03 we say she’s alive and well at that point, she stops her app, it’s after an hour’s dog walk and it’s somewhere she’s stopped that app before. It’s between 6.03 and 6.25 when she’s found by a male who’s enroute to the railway station that she’s found unconscious on the path next to the railway line. […]

Presenter - Now interestingly some of her items were missing, that she’d left home with, they’re no longer there, tell us about that.

Police - That’s right, her coat was stolen from her. That’s a pink Regatta waterproof jacket, she was clearly wearing that on the walk that day. That’s still outstanding, we’re appealing for anybody with any information about that jacket to come forward.

Presenter - This is a distinctive phone case.

Police - That’s right, another item stolen from her was her iPhone, her mobile phone. We recovered that in Ipswich three days later on Saturday 27th July. But her phone case is outstanding. So we’ve made arrest (? - not sure if he says made arrest or made arrests, 10.55 in video) in relation to the recovery of the phone, but that’s a distinctive black quilted case with a gold stud and gold crown design.

Presenter - Also these headphones (Galaxy Buds2 Samsung - white earbuds shown on screen).

Police - That’s right, Galaxy earbuds. They would have been in the case and potentially in the jacket pocket. They’re outstanding. And any information about how anything’s moved from Brantham to Ipswich we’re really keen to hear.

Presenter - There’s also a potential witness that you wish to trace. So we’ve got an image here that we can see (photo shown on screen is the one below). Talk us through this.

1728985061594.png
Old link - Anita Rose: Police identify witness in murder inquiry

Police - That’s right, we’ve still been unable to identify any witnesses that have actually seen Anita on the walk that morning. This male was seen walking past the same CCTV camera as Anita 16 minutes later. He’s a white male, he’s balding at the top, grey at the sides, glasses. If you are that person or you know that person please come forward. You may hold some vital information for us.

Presenter - Other than this person who else do you want to hear from today?

Police - Any witnesses. Anita was distinctive in her pink coat, she was walking her Springer spaniel that white and tan dog, anybody that’s seen either of them on the walk. And also the railway line cuts right through Brantham. It’s a busy commuter line between to and from London. It sits between Manningtree and Ipswich. Anybody on that train that may have seen somebody please get in touch.

Presenter - And if anyone needs a further incentive to come forward there’s a financial reward put forward by the independent charity Crimestoppers.

Police - That’s right, Crimestoppers have offered a £20,000 reward for any information that leads to the arrest and conviction for anybody involved in the death of Anita. And that information can be provided anonymously.

Last edited:

That's a slightly longer clip than I've seen before.

From looking at the pictures of the guy in blue (taken we are told from the same cctv), walking left to right with a hedge behind him, I've marked two options of what might have been his path in blue. Anita's in pink, as she heads towards the alleyway top left.

Also from the two pictures he apparently takes his hat off at that point and I can't see his bag on the second image.

Street View

brantham.png

Attachments

• brantham.png
    brantham.png
    716.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
That's a slightly longer clip than I've seen before.

From looking at the pictures of the guy in blue (taken we are told from the same cctv), walking left to right with a hedge behind him, I've marked what might have been his path in blue. Anita's in pink, as she heads towards the alleyway top left.

Also from the two pictures he apparently takes his hat off at that point and I can't see his bag on the second image.

Street View

View attachment 537801
How far from that point in her walk was she found?

When she looks back, her expression is almost one of confusion? Like someone was behind her but vanished. Hard to tell of course what she was thinking but it looked like she was trying to make sense of something that was concerning enough to stop and look around.

What's it say that the man in blue hasn't come forward? Why the cap, why was it off, where did the bag go/come from? Why had no one identified him? Not local?

Why did this happen? For a phone and ear buds?

So very sad.

She just wanted to walk her dog and go home.

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evremevremm
Back