Anthony Bourdain, 61, Tv Chef And Travel Host, Found Dead, Suicide

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Finding Hope: Battling America's Suicide Crisis
Tonight, 7:00 PM on CNN, 1 hr 2018

An in-depth at the crisis of suicide in America. With in-depth and expert analysis, the program provides answers to the root causes of suicide and most importantly how people can find help.

Hmmmm -- maybe it's all about click bait and/or ratings?

Today show reports NO narcotics were in Bourdain’s body when he died, though a significant amount of alcohol was. NBC's Stephanie Gosk reports.

BUT reuters reports:

“No trace of narcotics. No trace of any toxic products. Trace of medicines in therapeutic dose. Trace of alcohol,” he said, listing the findings of the investigation.

AND ABC corroborates:

"Over the weekend, Bourdain's toxicology report was released, which showed just a "trace" of alcohol in his system. (Alcohol is often present whether or not someone had an alcohol-use disorder).

AND Mother Gladys is getting a tattoo to honor her son....

Season finale of Anthony Bourdain’s ‘Parts Unknown’ airs, while new details of his death emerge
No drugs in U.S. celebrity chef Bourdain's body when he died:...
With Anthony Bourdain's death, armchair psychologists fell into a familiar trap
Anthony Bourdain had no narcotics or alcohol in his system when he died: report

Last edited:
On Sunday, two weeks after the tragic death of Anthony Bourdain, CNN aired a town hall about suicide as well as the season finale of Bourdain’s show, "Parts Unknown." Meanwhile, French authorities revealed that no narcotics were in Bourdain’s body when he died, though a significant amount of alcohol was. NBC's Stephanie Gosk reports.

If you or someone you know is struggling, please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.

Season finale of Bourdain’s CNN show airs, new details of his death emerge

from People Magazine:

Darren Aronofsky Reflects on Filming Death Ritual with Anthony Bourdain for Parts Unknown Finale

Darren Aronofsky Reflects on Filming Death Ritual with Anthony Bourdain for Parts Unknown Finale

“He never adjusted his hair or gave a damn about makeup or a lighting setup,” Aronofsky wrote. “He was always dressed perfectly for whatever we were doing — never flashy, never understated. He just showed up, and he worked. I have rarely witnessed talent on his scale be so willingly present and real.”

Happy Birthday, Chef! Rest in Peace.

When I look at recent photos of him, his face looked very aged, the face of a man much older than 61. I rarely watch TV, but on camera I felt he was very flat, the camera and guests do all the work of providing enthusiasm: no doubt that's what made him a good host, he didn't impose his personality on the place he was visiting.

I used to think it was his persona of being too cool to become excited by anything. But perhaps it was just depression.

If anyone remembers that poem:

"Poor chap, he always loved larking
And now he’s dead
It must have been too cold for him his heart gave way,
They said.

"Oh, no no no, it was too cold always
(Still the dead one lay moaning)
I was much too far out all my life
And not waving but drowning."

Those recent episodes of Parts Unknown, he looks tired and lonely IMO. Traveling for work is hard enough, I can't imagine doing it on camera, usually alone. He always seemed happier on the episodes when he had a buddy with him on the journey.

I have to confess I've been on a bit of a binge watching Parts Unknown. Last week I bought a bottle of rose wine from the Beqaa Valley in Lebanon. I realized later I probably wouldn't know about the Beqaa Valley were it not for Tony Bourdain taking viewers along on his adventures to Beirut. Just tonight the 201o episode Back To Beirut aired on the Travel Channel (No Reservations) and lo and behold Tony went to the same winery in the Beqaa Valley!

The other thing I've been noticing in my binge-watching is what great taste in music he had.

:rose: Rest in peace :rose:

Last edited:
Now that I've gotten over the shock and horror of Tony's death, I'm finding it hard to realize he is really gone. Denial. In some corner of my mind, he will always be alive, wandering the world, telling it like it is through his eyes. God speed, Tony, God speed.

If you haven't ever seen the Anthony Bourdain series The Layover, I highly recommend it for binge-watching. DH checks it out of the library; we have it now and plan to watch on the 4th. The series was done when AB was transitioning from Travel Channel to CNN. It showcases Tony's favorite places, from 5-star restaurants to dive bars, that he recommends visiting during lengthy layovers. Stops include: Singapore, New York, Rome, Miama, Hong Kong, Montreal, Amsterdam, San Francisco, Los Angeles, London.

As DH and I watched the season finale of Parts Unknown last Sunday night, we said that we still couldn't believe that the episode would be the last we'd ever see :( I hope there are some episodes in the can that can be edited and shown at some time in the future. I also hope that CNN can find a way to present the 4-part special on Detroit that AB was working on in the last year or so. He made multiple trips to the Motor City, and we looked forward to seeing this special about the city where we grew up. Rest in peace, Anthony. You touched our lives.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanling53
Back