Anthonys May Sue Over Merchandise being Sold

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I am saying to MY knowledge it was never filed...

And apparently to LIPPMAN'S knowledge it was never filed...

since he was quoted as saying the Anthonys ARE going to trademark....

He did NOT state "The Anthonys HOLD the trademark for...."

Right. It's worded that way in this CNN article that just popped up, as saying they ARE going to trademark...

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/05/17/caylee-anthonys-grandparents-trademark-her-name/

ETA: Either way, they still disgust me.

Wow and they're saying it's libelous? And it's an affront to Caylee. Well, words fail me.

How is it libelous? It says "Justice for Caylee" and it could mean anyone. By the time they could get a trademark the trial will be over and done with. Their attorney must have told them this. Do they not want Justice for their granddaughter or just don't want people making money off their granddaughter like their daughter did? jmo

Posted these thoughts in the Sidebar thread as well, but can't help but wonder if this is Cindy's attempt (press release) at trying to deflect attention away from Jury Selection news where JP after JP is stating on the record that they believe KC is GUILTY!!!

NG is currently discussing this- they showed a black T shirt for sale, with the words
'It smells like there's been a dead body in the damn car' on the front ..

How is it libelous? It says "Justice for Caylee" and it could mean anyone. By the time they could get a trademark the trial will be over and done with. Their attorney must have told them this. Do they not want Justice for their granddaughter or just don't want people making money off their granddaughter like their daughter did? jmo

They have made plenty too. They were FORCED to disclose some of it but I am sure there was lots more not disclosed..

I wonder what the A's would do if everyone in Court on day one of the trial wears a T shirt that says Justice for Caylee?

The Anthonys never denied they were doing the show. They never made 200,000; that was their daughter. They were paid over six months and ended up with 4000 out of 10,000 after they finished paying Brad from each payout.

They never exploited Caylee. They have had their lives turned inside out and the protestors who stood outside had no interest in Caylee except to hurt and humiliate a family that was in crisis and still is.

I, for one, hope that they finally get some peace out of all of this. They deserve to have it. They have suffered enough.

Sorry, but no. They need to suffer until it finally sinks in that they are the cause of a great deal of their own suffering. The Anthony family has exploited Caylee every time they've been on tv to support their daughter.

They exploited Caylee during her own memorial, trying to make it as much about ICA as Caylee.

The Anthonys are hated because their actions are inexcusable. If ICA doesn't get a fair trial it will be because of Cindy and her big, lying mouth.

She's the one who made this case into a circus. It should come back to haunt her forever. I can actually pity ICA for having Cindy Anthony for a mother.

If CA had cared for her granddaughter, she would've gotten custody. If she'd cared for her daughter, she would have kept her mouth shut, and kept her face off TV. She has done nothing, but harm her daughter's case.

Cindy Anthony has actually increased the hatred for her daughter.

There wouldn't have been carloads of people in front of their house if not for Cindy and George's own actions. They've reaped what they've sown.

The Anthonys never denied they were doing the show. They never made 200,000; that was their daughter. They were paid over six months and ended up with 4000 out of 10,000 after they finished paying Brad from each payout.

They never exploited Caylee. They have had their lives turned inside out and the protestors who stood outside had no interest in Caylee except to hurt and humiliate a family that was in crisis and still is.

I, for one, hope that they finally get some peace out of all of this. They deserve to have it. They have suffered enough.

The protestors were there because someone in their community was lying and covering for a child murderer. They had every right to be their and make their voices heard. GA and CA have made plenty of money on Caylee, and have tried to implicate innocent people in Caylee's murder. They deserve no peace, they need to be in jail. I have no sympathy for their self-imposed crisis. This family hurts and humiliates everyone who comes in contact with it.

What is so wrong about a shirt that says "Justice for Caylee?" I don't like anyone trying to profit off of Caylee's death, but at least it is about Justice for Caylee! I was never planning on selling t-shirts, but I was going to have a shirt made up that said, on the front: "Bloggers Unite" and on the back: "No half-truths of mis-truths included" to wear if I was ever in Orlando.

If they are not using the picture of Caylee... let them make Justice for Caylee T-shirts. Cindy and George sure as heck are not going to seek justice for Caylee. I also doubt these people who are making the shirts are going to be making $$$$. Why would they when you can simply go to a T-shirt shop and have one made yourself?

Next thing you know, no one will even be allowed to name their child Caylee... just because Cindy and George say so.

What is so wrong about a shirt that says "Justice for Caylee?" I don't like anyone trying to profit off of Caylee's death, but at least it is about Justice for Caylee! I was never planning on selling t-shirts, but I was going to have a shirt made up that said, on the front: "Bloggers Unite" and on the back: "No half-truths of mis-truths included" to wear if I was ever in Orlando.

If they are not using the picture of Caylee... let them make Justice for Caylee T-shirts. Cindy and George sure as heck are not going to seek justice for Caylee. I also doubt these people who are making the shirts are going to be making $$$$. Why would they when you can simply go to a T-shirt shop and have one made yourself?

Next thing you know, no one will even be allowed to name their child Caylee... just because Cindy and George say so.

Yes, Mr. Lippman will "shut you down" if you name your child Caylee!

I'd like Kathi Belich to ask the Anthonys one question: "What, specifically, would you consider to be 'justice for Caylee'".

But to me, I think CA feels entitled to control all aspects of anything related to Caylee, even if it's just for the sake of having control. She is certainly not on a crusade for justice, it's strictly territorial imo.

I think this was posed to Cindy on the first 48 hours show. If I remember right she said Justice for Casey would be Justice for Caylee. She may have said it the other way around but I clearly remember her saying it. Which I think is sad. Justice for Caylee will be when the one who caused her death is punished. Which IMO is Casey.

I haven't read this entire thread but am curious as to how the A's can copyright the phrase "Justice For Caylee". What if someone else has a child that goes missing or is murdered and their name is Caylee? They are now not allowed to wear a T-shirt bearing the words "Justice For Caylee" unless they purchase it from the A's or get their permission to wear it? I don't see how that will work. It would be like me trying to copyright "I Love John". As to my feelings on this matter in general, I will refrain from saying anything. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I haven't read this entire thread but am curious as to how the A's can copyright the phrase "Justice For Caylee". What if someone else has a child that goes missing or is murdered and their name is Caylee? They are now not allowed to wear a T-shirt bearing the words "Justice For Caylee" unless they purchase it from the A's or get their permission to wear it? I don't see how that will work. It would be like me trying to copyright "I Love John". As to my feelings on this matter in general, I will refrain from saying anything. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I agree. It is none of their business what people do. Anyone making money from this is following their lead.

I don't know if Katprint has popped in here, or if you guys have checked the legal thread, but we had an interesting exchange over there. I had commented that the "trademark" threat made little sense to me unless the As were marketing competing "Caylee" brand products. Katprint pointed out that the As may be using the word "trademark" in a very loose way to mean something completely different lol. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katprint
IMO they will be able to stop anyone from selling Caylee merchandise regardless of whether they are marketing competing products. I think that "trademark" and "copyright" are imprecise lay terms for what is actually an exploitation of Caylee's "right of publicity."

Wikipedia has a good basic definition (although I am having trouble with the link):

"The Right of Publicity can be defined simply as the right of an individual to control the commercial use of his or her name, image, likeness or other unequivocal aspects of one's identity. It is generally considered a property right as opposed to a personal right, and as such, the validity of the Right of Publicity can survive the death of the individual (to varying degrees depending on the jurisdiction)."

Cindy and George may be jumping the gun by enforcing the property rights which belong to Caylee's estate since Casey is still Caylee's legal heir. Presumably they expect their threatened lawsuits would not go to trial until after Casey is convicted of murder or else they expect they can obtain a court determination based on a preponderance of the evidence that Casey more likely than not caused the unlawful death of Caylee, thus Casey's inheritance rights would be forfeited to them. Alternatively they may claim to be acting as Casey's authorized agents on this issue.

Katprint
Always only my own opinions

My response:
Hmmm I think you are exactly right, although that is some loose way of using the word "trademark." Here's the Florida statute on what you're talking about:

540.08 Unauthorized publication of name or likeness.--

(1) No person shall publish, print, display or otherwise publicly use for purposes of trade or for any commercial or advertising purpose the name, portrait, photograph, or other likeness of any natural person without the express written or oral consent to such use given by:

(a) Such person; or

(b) Any other person, firm or corporation authorized in writing by such person to license the commercial use of her or his name or likeness; or

(c) If such person is deceased, any person, firm or corporation authorized in writing to license the commercial use of her or his name or likeness, or if no person, firm or corporation is so authorized, then by any one from among a class composed of her or his surviving spouse and surviving children.

(2) In the event the consent required in subsection (1) is not obtained, the person whose name, portrait, photograph, or other likeness is so used, or any person, firm, or corporation authorized by such person in writing to license the commercial use of her or his name or likeness, or, if the person whose likeness is used is deceased, any person, firm, or corporation having the right to give such consent, as provided hereinabove, may bring an action to enjoin such unauthorized publication, printing, display or other public use, and to recover damages for any loss or injury sustained by reason thereof, including an amount which would have been a reasonable royalty, and punitive or exemplary damages.

(3) The provisions of this section shall not apply to:

(a) The publication, printing, display, or use of the name or likeness of any person in any newspaper, magazine, book, news broadcast or telecast, or other news medium or publication as part of any bona fide news report or presentation having a current and legitimate public interest and where such name or likeness is not used for advertising purposes;

(b) The use of such name, portrait, photograph, or other likeness in connection with the resale or other distribution of literary, musical, or artistic productions or other articles of merchandise or property where such person has consented to the use of her or his name, portrait, photograph, or likeness on or in connection with the initial sale or distribution thereof; or

(c) Any photograph of a person solely as a member of the public and where such person is not named or otherwise identified in or in connection with the use of such photograph.

(4) No action shall be brought under this section by reason of any publication, printing, display, or other public use of the name or likeness of a person occurring after the expiration of 40 years from and after the death of such person.

(5) As used in this section, a person's "surviving spouse" is the person's surviving spouse under the law of her or his domicile at the time of her or his death, whether or not the spouse has later remarried; and a person's "children" are her or his immediate offspring and any children legally adopted by the person. Any consent provided for in subsection (1) shall be given on behalf of a minor by the guardian of her or his person or by either parent.

(6) The remedies provided for in this section shall be in addition to and not in limitation of the remedies and rights of any person under the common law against the invasion of her or his privacy.

The response in the legal thread has all this useful bolding and underlining, but I guess cut-and-paste strips that out?

The truly sad thing about all this is that George and Cindy Anthony are missing the opportunity they were actually given because of this sad tragedy. They had (and could still have maybe if they would start to tell the truth about their daughter) the rare opportunity to truly fight for the rights of Grand Parents in this country when they have a neglectful or incapable child raising a grandchild. We KNOW that this type of situation is occurring all over the country as we sit here with these grandparents and their antics. It takes a situation such as the one involving the murder of their grand baby at the hands of their daughter to really fight for and win legislation for changing the system and allowing (when warranted) Grandparents to intervene. That to me is the saddest part of how far this mess has gone awry.

Caylee was never missing, we all know that, but she was in the care of someone who should not have had her- and George and Cindy full well knew this. Stop feeling guilty about it already and make sure that it doesn't happen to the next poor innocent child! That will be honoring Caylee's memory and absolve them of the never ending cycle of guilt they are in- it is too late to save Caylee Marie, but they can be the catalyst to save someone else! Why don't these people get it?

I am tired of hearing how they are 'hated'- they have enough self hate for themselves to last a lifetime- they don't need it from me. I have lived horrific circumstances but I choose to reach out and help someone else... to help them have a better chance at a normal life, and when I do that I inadvertently help myself. There are people in this world today who suffer truly horrific, and unspeakable atrocities yet they find the strength to carry on and even help someone else. The Anthony's choose their life everyday- we don't- and those choices keep them locked on this sad and dysfunctional hamster wheel- they can choose at any moment to get off of it- I don't keep them there and I have every right to comment and have an opinion on their extremely public behavior.

I hope they figure it out and do the right thing, however at this time I am not holding my breath... I have too many people who love and count on me for support. Good luck to them with all of their 'suing'- evidently they'll need the money...

What an amazing post.

I'm with Solace. If C & G did not try to stop people profiting off of their daughter, people would be saying they don't care. I'm not a fan of theirs by any means but I support their decision to do this. I think they're doing the right thing, if only to send a message prior to the trial starting. Whatever Cindy's failures as a mother, I believe she loved Caylee and was a good grandmother. If she doesn't do this and we all start to see a bunch of strangers exploiting Caylee & profiting, how will we feel then? We'd want someone to put a stop to it and who can do that except Cindy? JMO.

I don't think it's their daughter they are claiming people are trying to profit from. I think they are claiming it would be Caylee's name. Although I respect what you're saying and I do get your point.......I don't believe it's their decision to make legally. Although Caylee is no longer with us, Casey is still her mother legally and until she has been tried and a verdict handed down, she is presumed innocent so IMO it's Casey's place to do this through her attorneys, if she ever wanted to. I don't believe it's G and C's place to be doing this and I question its' legality. We do live in the best country in the world and under a "free enterprise" system. There is nothing detrimental or demeaning about the phrase "Justice for Caylee". It's the sentiment of the entire country right now. If they wanted to trademark the phrase and use it to campaign for the unfortunate children that are living in similiar circumstances as Caylee did, I would support their motives and look on it favorably but even then I would want it done "legally" and above board but, that is not the case.

I apologise in advance. I have not read this entire thread. But how dare they claim to shut anyone down from using these phrases? They just do not want anyone to profit from them but THEMSELF! They need to stand up for this Baby Girl, that could not stand up for herself! I don't care if they have to go against their Daughter. She was grown. She had a choice, Caylee did NOT! She was their Flesh and Blood too.

I think this type of behavior will assist ICA's mitigation claims against her parents. Since when are the A's concerned about justice for Caylee? Were they concerned when they gave the dogs tooth brush to LE as Caylees? Were they concerned about truth or justice when they Febrezed the trunk and washed all the clothing and other evidence before finding either their missing daughter or grand baby? Were they concerned about justice for the victim when they declined polygraphs and went on the media to sway public opinion against the only people looking for their missing family member?
How sick are you that days before your daughters trial for murdering your gran-daughter begins you're flapping your gums to the media threatening to sue this one or that or both? This while your daughter costs the taxpayer a small fortune.
These people are vile IMO. After hearing the defense strategy I actually went back to defending them. Shame, shame on me!

Maybe I'm jaded, but I don't see this as CA & GA saying Caylee's image and name as being sacred.

I see this as if someone is gonna be making $$$ from Caylee, it's gonna be me.

Just like the time CA pocketed AH money.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste
Back