April 08, 2024 Solar Eclipse

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The Cuyahoga Valley National Park in our area is filling up. Lot of traffic and the ski area parking lots are full. The park has no camping areas, so I guess people are sleeping in their cars.

ETA: To visitors new to the park, don't climb on the rocks at Brandywine Falls. Very dangerous.

Last edited:
A lot of interesting facts in this article:
The total eclipse starts at 12:39 p.m. Eastern Time, a bit more than 620 miles south of the Republic of Kiribati in the Pacific Ocean, according to Astronomy. The umbra remains in contact with Earth’s surface for three hours and 16 minutes until 3:55 p.m. when it ends in the Atlantic Ocean, roughly 340 miles southwest of Ireland.
..a map with times
...possibilty of seeng a particular comet in addition to two planets

That’s why there are highway warning signs. ^^^^

I drove by our local gas station, twice, you couldn’t get in so many people were at the pumps.

Plenty of peeps travelling to get ‘totality’ as we are only 99.9%.

A lot of interesting facts in this article:
The total eclipse starts at 12:39 p.m. Eastern Time, a bit more than 620 miles south of the Republic of Kiribati in the Pacific Ocean, according to Astronomy. The umbra remains in contact with Earth’s surface for three hours and 16 minutes until 3:55 p.m. when it ends in the Atlantic Ocean, roughly 340 miles southwest of Ireland.
..a map with times
...possibilty of seeng a particular comet in addition to two planets
I've read that it will be a great opportunity to see the stars and planets, too. Once the eclipse is total, there won't be much artificial light pollution.

I believe it.
There were a number of accidents when this happened here last week.
No advance warning, only a couple of days later was it announced to be a disintegrating Chinese satellite.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-04-02 at 5.41.34 PM.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2024-04-02 at 5.41.34 PM.jpeg
    33 KB · Views: 9
I’m listed at 99.67% in TX so we’ll step outside at work for some of it. I bought the guys glasses so they can go out and look.

They advised us about traffic and stocking up as well on groceries and gas. I stocked up on animal feed as well. The idea being the extra people will be using those resources as well so they may be short. Only can store so much and this town routinely has empty gas stations. Animal feed shouldn’t be a problem but I just ran my errands early.

I’m listed at 99.67% in TX so we’ll step outside at work for some of it. I bought the guys glasses so they can go out and look.

They advised us about traffic and stocking up as well on groceries and gas. I stocked up on animal feed as well. The idea being the extra people will be using those resources as well so they may be short. Only can store so much and this town routinely has empty gas stations. Animal feed shouldn’t be a problem but I just ran my errands early.

What about toilet paper? :) jk

(Iirc in March 2020 you stocked up on homemade salsa, Tbone. I was able to get some Pace picante sauce on the side and tipped the Instacart dude an extra $20 I think, and after that was like, “thank god Tbone gave us a heads up on the salsa” lol. Weird, at the time my main concern was stocking up on tater tots. And @Herat had a stash of candy in the back shed… @otto and the vodka.. Man…)

Ok go on, sorry, flashback…

While everyone else is looking at the sky, “you will have the run of the town.”

Benchley’s whimsical suggestions for the few minutes of totality included violating the law against smoking in an art museum and hiring accomplices to change all the street signs. His own plan, he wrote, was to conduct “a more harmless experiment” — to walk around town wearing an outfit he had been advised against — “a silk hat, a batwing collar, and a spotted bow tie.”

(Iirc in March 2020 you stocked up on homemade salsa, Tbone. I was able to get some Pace picante sauce on the side and tipped the Instacart dude an extra $20 I think, and after that was like, “thank god Tbone gave us a heads up on the salsa” lol. Weird, at the time my main concern was stocking up on tater tots. And @Herat had a stash of candy in the back shed… @otto and the vodka.. Man…)

Funny you should mention that, my husband wants me to make another batch. We are out of my homemade stuff. Won’t get it done pre-eclipse but it’s definitely on my to do list. I finally ran out of pandemic toilet paper and had to buy some more the other day. In our new house I have less storage but more land.

I was mostly worried about toilet paper, hand sanitizer, masks, and lysol (couldn't find lysol anywhere) and I think I still have some of the dried beans we stocked up on lol

Funny you should mention that, my husband wants me to make another batch. We are out of my homemade stuff. Won’t get it done pre-eclipse but it’s definitely on my to do list. I finally ran out of pandemic toilet paper and had to buy some more the other day. In our new house I have less storage but more land.

you just ran out? you must've had a roomful!

This is a photo I took during totality in SC in 2017, showing what the horizon looked like. It was part of the "360-degree sunset" effect of a total eclipse as described in the Time article linked above. (Not a good photo, just used my phone.)
1712542892995.jpeg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back