GUILTY AR - Anne Pressly, 26, raped & murdered, Little Rock, 20 Oct 2008 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
well yeah its a two way street. but Vance has nothing to loose by trying. and aparently LE has kept a plea offer on the table according to the news. im sure they dont "need" one to convict him.

If LE does not need a plea bargain to convict him, the why offer it? And for Capital Murder? That don't make sense. Usually a plea wouldn't even be up for discussion, especially in a murder case like this.

a bargain can be offered for a number of reasons that have nothing to do with existing evidence. they may want info on other unsolved cases like an assault or murder or even Vance's unwillingness to talk. Remember Casey Anthony had been offered plea deals off and on in her case.

In my own case a plea deal was cut with the suspect without my participation. i had no say so in the matter (although i was not in the position to participate at the time)

The only reason I could see for the state to offer him a plea bargain for such a heinous crime as this would be if there were things they didn't want to come out at trial perhaps to spare the family or the deceased's reputation.

If LE does not need a plea bargain to convict him, the why offer it? And for Capital Murder? That don't make sense. Usually a plea wouldn't even be up for discussion, especially in a murder case like this.

Because it's cost effective. No need to put on a trial if the defendant will accept a plea. Plus, it's cheaper to keep a LWOP prisoner than it is one looking at the DP. Not that I agree with this, but if he is safely locked up under Varner Prison for the rest of his natural life, then I'm happy...:behindbar

I think you need to go research. It's not unusual that a plea has been offered in a case like this.

The only reason I could see for the state to offer him a plea bargain for such a heinous crime as this would be if their were things they didn't want to come out at trial perhaps to spare the family or the deceased's reputation.

actually the plaintiffs side has no voice or say so in any kind of plea deals afaik

LWP isnt exactly getting off easy. You know he is going up ca ca creek its just how far...

I saw on the news yesterday by chance a murder case where a guy dragged his g/f to death behind a car and he got a plea deal. They dropped some of the lesser charges and gave him, IIRC, Life. Hes still not getting out of jail ever. For the state, it was a fast, less expensive and time intensive "victory".

There is some confusion on this message board. Vance HAS NOT been offered a plea deal. If you read the wording carefully, you will understand that a plea bargain has not been offered by the prosecutors. The plea bargain option is an option provided by due process. Its just a part of the proceedings.

The prosecutors have not indicated in any way that they are interested in a plea bargain with Vance. It is just an option in the court proceedings.

Just like there was a court hearing for a mental evaluation there will be a court date for the possiblity of a plea bargain before the trial proceedings get started.

http://content.usatoday.net/dist/custom/gci/InsidePage.aspx?cId=baxterbulletin&sParam=30188249.story
At a short hearing Tuesday, Vance's lawyers said they would not seek a mental evaluation for their client. Piazza also left open the possibility that prosecutors could make a plea deal with Vance and the judge set a June 16 hearing to discuss it.

ok, I'm with you now- we had a guy here that was guilty of a murder, and he just pled guilty to keep from having a jury trial which would have made him eligible for the death penalty. He pled guilty and got life.

This board actually seems to be interested in the case and the people - will be tough to keep that going for 7 months with so little information coming out. Opinions are easy.

Know that there is no plea bargain at this point, but as to "why" if you have an airtight case:

1.) Privacy - while the public wants to know everything, perhaps the victims don't want every detail of the crimes made public (and not for the sordid reasons of so many opinions).
2.) Sanity - can you imagine having to take the stand and (again) recount every detail of what you saw / felt - - - and then be cross-examined?
3.) Truth. Convicting a criminal brings justice, but truth can only be fully heard when the guilty admit to the crime and talk. Only the killer knows the "why" and "how" that the victims really need to hear to set THEIR minds to rest - and their peace outweighs our desires.

Just my opinions.

This board actually seems to be interested in the case and the people - will be tough to keep that going for 7 months with so little information coming out. Opinions are easy.

Know that there is no plea bargain at this point, but as to "why" if you have an airtight case:

1.) Privacy - while the public wants to know everything, perhaps the victims don't want every detail of the crimes made public (and not for the sordid reasons of so many opinions).
2.) Sanity - can you imagine having to take the stand and (again) recount every detail of what you saw / felt - - - and then be cross-examined?
3.) Truth. Convicting a criminal brings justice, but truth can only be fully heard when the guilty admit to the crime and talk. Only the killer knows the "why" and "how" that the victims really need to hear to set THEIR minds to rest - and their peace outweighs our desires.

Just my opinions.

You're right about that and nothing will bring Anne back.....only more sorrow and sadness for the victim and her family. The public, however, may need to see an actual trial to feel like that have closure to this horrific crime.

Glad to be here. I won't be on often; just check to see what I may have missed & add if I can.

http://www.nwarktimes.com/adg/News/252703/

has an article which talks about the last & next hearing in simple English and good detail. "Innocent man" needs a lot of protection from himself, yes?

imo

You're right about that and nothing will bring Anne back.....only more sorrow and sadness for the victim and her family. The public, however, may need to see an actual trial to feel like that have closure to this horrific crime.

I have to agree, YellowDog. I try and put myself in Anne's parents place, and could never know what they are going through. I don't want for them to go through any more pain than they have to, but in reality, people who live in the Little Rock area NEED to know something. There are too many rumors and they are not stopping. Believe me, I wish they would. But they are not.

Why? Why was it obvious that LE did not show a little more concern for the public, while being so committed to their 'it was random' statements. A random rapist, murderer was out there and women who didn't even believe in guns, were buying them. Sorry for the ranting. I've packed powder for over 20 years along with other personal safety devices, but I cannot explain the paranoia that was widespread through this and it pi_ _ es me off how the legal system has handled this horrible tragedy. I have personal tragedies and believe me, they never go away, but I believe in facing the truth, even if it means you have to back up and wait a little when you're stronger, but get through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rav17en