GUILTY AR - Cassie Cotta 24, Fort Smith, 30 Dec 2011

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don't think the fact that they were involved in the bar scene has anything to do with her death.

We've seen countless cases where supposedly upstanding citizens have tried to get away with murder. One that I recall is the rabbi in NJ a few years back that had his wife killed. I can't remember his name.

Anyway JMHO
With all due respect...someone who has his wife killed is hardly an "upstanding citizen," regardless of the title he holds.

I agree my husband and I were talking about that last night. How can you just go on a pretend nothing is wrong. Doesn't it eat you up. Heck, I can't even lie because I feel like the biggest loser ever and always come out and tell the truth right after I've said the opposite.

But then that is exactly why you couldn't imagine killing someone. (Nor could I.) These people just don't think the same. We simply can't understand what is going on in their mind.

I simply makes me feel ill. :(

This guy not only ruined his own life by his jealousy, rage, etc...but look at all of the other people he has affected, not to mention the lives of his children. Just for being unable to act like a man. All of her hundreds of friends and her loved ones will be without her forever and most likely, so will his children.

Lots of men have been drinking too much since the beginning of time, but I don't think they killed their wives as often...or maybe they did and we just didn't hear about it, or it was considered their right to keep their wives in line, who knows. Anyway maybe we on WS are the only ones who see it as an "epidemic" but it sure does seem like it happens more and more.

Boy, I share in your frustration!! It's so overwhelming, isn't it?

I think the brutality and jealousy/ownership issue has been going on since the dawn of time...not just the drinking. I believe that three things have changed:

1. We are more aware. The information is available to us freely on the internet; we are educated and have more awareness of social issues; we see beyond our local community; and, since we are on Websleuths, by self-inclusion we are interested in society and the wellness of others.

2. Domestic violence used to be kept secret by societal norms and woman didn't have the financial means or societal support to leave. Women were considered the property of their husbands. Afterall, once they became married the were no longer "Susan Jones", but became "Mrs. George Smith". (I don't think the "good old days" were as good as people recall.)

3. Innocence and respect has been lost. Teens are exposed to violence and *advertiser censored* at young ages. Manners and respect, as we've spoiled our one or two children, have gone by the wayside.

My personal belief (and only my simple opinion) is that it doesn't have anything to do with the shrinking of formal religion (as some others have proposed). As others have pointed out, most of the most educated countries in the world are the least religious and have the lowest levels of violent crime. And, in more religious countries, their is societal pressure to "say" that you are religious, so that you fit in with the perceived norm.

I will be the first to admit that I don't really think that my comments in the above paragraph are critical to this discussion, as afterall there are so many wonderful people who are religious and so many who are not. (You guys are great!) We have to keep things in perspective....as we WSers are reading these forums and reading about crime constantly. There is much statistical evidence that violent crime has declined steadily over the past few decades. I just wish it would decline faster!!!!

Rest in peace, Cassie. Too young; too soon.
:rose: :rose: :rose:

With all due respect...someone who has his wife killed is hardly an "upstanding citizen," regardless of the title he holds.

Also with all due respect...I did say supposedly upstanding citizen. I should have bolded or put supposedly in quotations.

I merely meant to say that being a part of the bar scene doesn't necessarily mean you are more susceptible to be a victim of violence.

Cassie Cotta last posted on Facebook at 10:53 p.m. Friday, telling a friend her phone was almost dead and “call tomorrow and hang?”
A little less than four hours later at 2:38 a.m. on Saturday, Brent Cotta posted a lengthy poem on Facebook that in part read: “Forgive me and please stop leaving; slow down and please believe me; I need you and you need me; always and forever; forever and always; we belong together ...”
The poem was posted after investigators believe Brent Cotta killed his wife, according to court documents.
On Monday and Tuesday, Brent Cotta made several posts thanking people for their support and asking for prayer; a little more than 90 minutes after he led investigators to his wife’s body, Brent Cotta posted “Love her,” while in police custody.
Both Shue and Sgt. Daniel Grubbs, Fort Smith police public information officer, said Wednesday they were prohibited from providing any details about Brent Cotta’s statements to investigators beyond the probable cause affidavit and what was stated in court.

This article also contains descriptions of the previous domestic abuse. Cotta was very violent with her in the past: http://www.swtimes.com/news/article_49a1701a-37b1-11e1-811c-001871e3ce6c.html

Apparently Brent couldn't just let her go...

"Brent Cotta posted “Love her,” while in police custody."
RSBM
No, he did not love her; he allegedly did a selfish thing.
This is very archaic but still true ; "If you love something , let it go...." I think quite a few here on this forum will know how the rest goes.
RIP, Cassie and my condolences to your family and to the children of B. Cotta as well.

Oh man.... domestic violence cases are so close to home.... I can see Cassie pretending things would change... using all the excuses in the book... afraid to leave... DV is just sad... destroys you inside and it is a long way back home, for those -like me- who are fortunate enough to get away in time....

R.I.P. Cassie :(

Also with all due respect...I did say supposedly upstanding citizen. I should have bolded or put supposedly in quotations.

I merely meant to say that being a part of the bar scene doesn't necessarily mean you are more susceptible to be a victim of violence.
You did say supposedly. I totally missed that word (even though I called myself reading the post twice). My apologies!

(Shuffles off kicking the dirt, mumbling *dumb bifocals*)

You did say supposedly. I totally missed that word (even though I called myself reading the post twice). My apologies!

(Shuffles off kicking the dirt, mumbling *dumb bifocals*)

It happens like I said I should have put it in quotes or bolded to show my sarcasm.

:crazy:

Too many parents allow children their every want, desire and whim without ever holding them accountable or responsible. Too few parents teach their children empathy. Those children grow up though, and when the only lessons have been they are entitled to what they want without repercussion and they matter more than all others, we end up with a society infested with narcissistic, apathetic, insolent creatures that think nothing of taking a human life.

You are so right. Kids are not taught to respect people anymore. They're allowed to get away with being smart-mouths to anyone who crosses their paths. They're not made to take responsibility for their actions, and too many times parents just ignore bad behavior, hoping they'll grow out of it. So many of them DON'T, though.

http://www.swtimes.com/news/article_20f8dbac-3bd6-11e1-8a08-001871e3ce6c.html

Fort Smith Police: Wife Was Strangled

Police said previously that Cotta’s body was sent to the Arkansas State Crime Laboratory for an autopsy, but there were no signs of “obvious trauma” on her body.

hmmmm

I'm guessing they meant there were no gunshot or knife wounds. I thought signs of choking/strangling were always visible, though. Seems to me that would be obvious trauma, but what do I know??

I'm guessing they meant there were no gunshot or knife wounds. I thought signs of choking/strangling were always visible, though. Seems to me that would be obvious trauma, but what do I know??

I believe there was an earlier article that said she had bruising on her body but there were no signs of stab or gunshot wounds.

This is so sad! I saw when she was first missing but missed when they found her and arrested her husband. Now kids have neither parents and will someday find out there daddy was the reason mommy died. So tragic and unnecessary. I am sick of these kind of people who kill and destroy so many lives :(!!!

This is so sad! I saw when she was first missing but missed when they found her and arrested her husband. Now kids have neither parents and will someday find out there daddy was the reason mommy died. So tragic and unnecessary. I am sick of these kind of people who kill and destroy so many lives :(!!!

I agree with you, especially your last sentence. The really tragic part of this, IMO, is that Cassie never got to be a mommy, and that was something she really wanted to be in her life (per her personal blog). B. Cotta's kids were from a previous marriage/relationship.

3 years. RIP Cassie.

I didn't know her but my husband knows her ex. and he is hurting so bad today.

Heartbreaking.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ioprgee
Back