AR - Dexter Williams, 24, found dead in hot tub with TV weatherman, 5 Sept 2011

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The AR Democrat-Gazette posted an article about KARK's censorship of the story. It doesn't give additional details regarding the incident, just the fact that the station was essentially refusing to cover it, but I still don't understand why Cummins would provide a weather report the same day KARK said he was "taking time off to mourn the loss of his friend." So he had the day off and went on the air anyway. I don't understand the reasoning behind his decision. Was it a last ditch effort to show professionalism to his employer? Was he just trying to appear innocent to viewers in case he was tried by a jury in the future? Seems strange either way.

The article KARK: Censoring the story? suggests KARK intentionally withheld relevant info regarding Cummins' involvement, stating only that Brett was in the home where Dexter's body was found. The only new info in the article was the following dialog with Brett's boss:

“Why the sketchy report?” I asked KARK news director Rob Heverling.

“I’m very limited in what I can say. As far as Brett is concerned, this is a personnel matter. We must follow our companyNexstar’s policy,” he said.

“But we felt like it was important to, at the very least, acknowledge that Brett is an employee of ours. It is a story. We know it is a story. And it was important for us to at least cover the story.”
“But did you cover the story?” I asked Heverling.

“Because of our policy, this is all we can say,” he replied after a long pause.

“That is the only way I can answer that question.”

KARK: Censoring the story? by Linda Caillouet lcaillouet@arkansasonline.com September 11, 2011 http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2011/sep/11/kark-censoring-story-20110911

NOTE: I purchased a 1-day pass to review articles from the past week related to this story. It expires Monday night, so let me know if there are articles you need. Most of the info I've found has already been covered in this forum. So far I've found NOTHING on Barbour... still searching.

Just a thought because I know we have all been waiting for the coroner to declare a time of death:

Assuming TOD is determined by how much the victim's body core temperature has cooled from 98.6, then ambient temperature is a key factor. But looking backward in time, how is the coroner to determine the ambient temp without knowing when the (presumably warm) water was emptied from the tub? (I think most of us are already questioning the credibility of the surviving witnesses.)

On Thursday, Brett Cummins' attorney Mark Hampton stated "In an attempt to assist the Maumelle Police Department as they gather information in this regard, and so that all resources can be properly focused, no further public statements will be made at this time."

Apparently Mark Hampton is no longer concerned in assisting "the Maumelle Police Department as they gather information in this regard, and so that all resources can be properly focused" because he is talking to CNN yet again:

Lawyer: Weatherman found near corpse hopes to clear his name

The Arkansas weatherman found last week in a hot tub alongside a man's lifeless, naked body is hoping autopsy results and other evidence will soon clear his name, his lawyer said Monday.

Mark Hampton said his client, Brett Cummins, resigned Friday from his position as a meteorologist at KARK, which is based in Little Rock.

"The station was getting continuing inquiries, and Brett thought it would be best if he resigned," Hampton said, adding that the resignation was done orally after his client contacted the station.

Full article can be found here: http://edition.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/09/12/arkansas.meteorologist.death/

Another nugget of info in the article:
Arkansas State Crime Laboratory Director Kermit Channell said Monday that Williams' autopsy examination "should be finished up," anticipating that a final report will be ready "in the next week or so." After that, it will up to the local law enforcement agency overseeing the case -- the Maumelle Police Department -- to decide whether the autopsy results will remain confidential or be released to the public, Channell said.

^^^^

Am I the only one who can't tell from the way that article is worded whether Cummins has confirmed Barbour's story that Cummins woke up in the hot tub next to the victim's dead body?

In one place, the wording suggests Cummins' attorney is confirming Barbour's story; but in another, the article goes back to quoting Barbour as if Cummins hasn't given his own version of events.

^^^^

Am I the only one who can't tell from the way that article is worded whether Cummins has confirmed Barbour's story that Cummins woke up in the hot tub next to the victim's dead body?

In one place, the wording suggests Cummins' attorney is confirming Barbour's story; but in another, the article goes back to quoting Barbour as if Cummins hasn't given his own version of events.

Nova : You're right, the first sentence is poorly written and gives the reader the idea that Hampton is confirming that Cummins was "found last week in a hot tub alongside a man's lifeless, naked body."

In my opinion Mark Hampton had to release a statement today because of the lack of a formal statement in conjunction with Cummins' termination or resignation on Friday. The timing makes sense because: Dexter Williams' funeral was yesterday and the resignation/termination story got national coverage throughout today.

The statement of Hampton is straight out of defense attorney 101 and the crisis communications handbook -- deny responsibility and state how Cummins' name will be cleared. One thing that Cummins may have to his advantage is if they didn't drug test him within 48 hours he may produce a clean drug test as I understand crystal meth only stays in the system for 24-48 hours.

Not sure why you would have to clear anyone's name that hasn't been charged with a crime or accused of any wrong doing.

I thought the statement from Lt. Jim Hansard had an interesting choice of words. He is almost saying they're just sitting back and waiting until the autopsy results come back and then there will possibly be evidence of a crime and charges filed.

No arrests had been made, but an investigation is under way, Lt. Jim Hansard said last week. "We don't have a crime -- yet," he said. "That's part of the investigation."

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/09/12/arkansas.meteorologist.death/

Not sure why you would have to clear anyone's name that hasn't been charged with a crime or accused of any wrong doing.

I thought the statement from Lt. Jim Hansard had an interesting choice of words. He is almost saying they're just sitting back and waiting until the autopsy results come back and then there will possibly be evidence of a crime and charges filed.

Joe, we know so little about what all went on in the Barbour home that night and what, if any, illegal substances were consumed and where they originated, that there is a virtually unlimited list of potential charges that might be filed once the autopsy is complete.

On the other hand, this is Arkansas. Maybe LE is out interviewing witnesses to learn which of the principals listened to Metallica and worshiped Satan.

I think the next message from Cummins attorney will be something like this;

In an effort to more effectively help the police with their investigation Mr. Cummins has decided to move into a jail cell so he can be nearby anytime the police have a question for him.

Joe, we know so little about what all went on in the Barbour home that night and what, if any, illegal substances were consumed and where they originated, that there is a virtually unlimited list of potential charges that might be filed once the autopsy is complete.

On the other hand, this is Arkansas. Maybe LE is out interviewing witnesses to learn which of the principals listened to Metallica and worshiped Satan.

BBM: You just had to add that didn't you Nova? LOL BC better hope that he does neither, because if he does, his prison cell is already ready for him to move into!:floorlaugh:

I think the next message from Cummins attorney will be something like this;

In an effort to more effectively help the police with their investigation Mr. Cummins has decided to move into a jail cell so he can be nearby anytime the police have a question for him.

Yes, Steely, that's probably the next statement from the attorney. LOL

BBM

Read this article; http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/09/07/090907fa_fact_grann?currentPage=1

That New Yorker piece is one of the best things I've read on its subject-matter. Should be required reading for anyone who thinks he or she can tell at a glance who is guilty of a crime.

Brett Cummins, a meteorologist at a news station in Arkansas since 2001, was questioned by police Monday after he awoke in an empty bath tub with the corpse of a dead man wearing a dog collar.

:floorlaugh: :woohoo: :floorlaugh: :waitasec: :floorlaugh:

OK everyone would you please stop :floorlaugh:.

FOR GOSH SAKES! A MAN DIED ON TOP OF THE WEATHERMAN............THERE IS NOTHING FUNNY ABOUT THAT!
STOP LAUGHING..............................

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats...und-with-dead-man-in-tub.html?obref=obnetwork

Aaaack! It was one of those kinds of nights, I guess!

Man, what some folks get up to in their off time.

Oh, yeah, and don't do narcotics that could kill you, kids. It's a story with a moral, too ROFL.

Aaaack! It was one of those kinds of nights, I guess!

Man, what some folks get up to in their off time.

Oh, yeah, and don't do narcotics that could kill you, kids. It's a story with a moral, too ROFL.

It is not funny that the guy died but can you imagine waking up in a bathtub with a naked corpse, wearing a dog collar, on top of you! Then of all things you have to tell about it! :banghead:

That's got to be his worst date ever!

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148592"]Man Found Dead in Bathtub with KARK Meteorologist Brett Cummins - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

In depth discussion about this . . .

It has been 13 days since events occurring at 16 Village Way in Maumelle, Arkansas led to the death of 24 year old Dexter Williams. The titillating details revealed in the Maumelle Police Department's Incident Report made international headlines and became the fodder for late night comedians & morning zoo radio hosts. The media in Little Rock disregarded any notion of investigative journalism and focused their efforts on how this incident would impact the employment of a local weatherman. In an effort to avoid additional international headlines, the weatherman's "resignation" was announced after 5pm on a Friday while the nation focused on September 11 and the start of the NFL season. Little Rock media outlets minimized the news of Cummins' employment ending but the story made national headlines the following Monday.

On September 12, CNN (the only media outlet providing actual news related to the investigation) reported the Arkansas State Crime Laboratory's final report on Williams' death would "be ready 'in the next week or so." This report, combined with other evidence collected by the Maumelle Police Department, will determine what (if any) charges will be filed against Brett Cummins and Christopher Barbour.

In an effort to answer so many of the questions, suspicions, red flags and concerns that have been expressed regarding the circumstances leading to the death of Dexter Williams and the individuals involved, I have uncovered information through my own sleuthing and communication with sources that I would like to share with you:

* It has been noted here and in a couple media reports that Christopher Barbour (occupant of 16 Village Way) was arrested and charged with third degree domestic battery on December 23, 2010. This information caused a great deal of discussion and speculation about Barbour here at WS. What we have been unaware of is that Barbour is not the only one whose past has included violence; Brett Cummins has also been disciplined for violence. The backstory: Brett Cummins was fired by KARK 4 in May 2008 and rehired in September 2009. Cummins was rehired because he won a wrongful termination lawsuit against the station. I've been able to confirm that the reason KARK fired Cummins in May 2008: "he got into a fight at a bar in Little Rock" and was not arrested; the lawsuit settlement reinstated him.

* On September 7, Brett Cummins went to the doctor and got meds. Here is a link to that information Anyone want to speculate why Cummins needed meds?

* Based on Dexter Williams profile name on the website Recon.com (NSFW) which was DexonSpeedBoi, I think we can assume that the drug of choice on September 6 was crystal meth. This is important because it would negate Christopher Barbour's claim of sleeping for 10 hours after snorting "illegal drugs."

* To give us perspective on the size of the "hot tub" Williams, Barbour and Cummins were partying and playing in, I tracked down the jacuzzi tub installed at similar properties by the same builder on Village Way. It is much smaller than I would have guessed, you can view it here.

* The owner of the property at 16 Village Way is NOT Christopher Barbour, but is Jason Keith Taylor (Barbour's former partner). Jason Keith Taylor was also arrested and charged with third degree domestic battery on December 23, 2010. I can confirm that Taylor does NOT live at 16 Village Way (which leads me to speculate if any legal orders prevent him from living there). I was also surprised to learn that Dexter Williams was friends on Facebook with both Jason Keith Taylor and Brett Cummins but not Christopher Barbour. (I found this "interesting")

* The incident report noted "blood pooling to the head." I was unaware of what blood pooling is and found a good definition "The pooling of the blood can be a vital clue in determining the time of death and is known as hypostasis. This occurs when the blood ceases flowing, settling in the lowest parts of the body and in turn, causing the skin to become pink and red in colour. This process is complete in up to 6 hours after death. The main use of blood pooling analysis actually lies in helping to determine the death manner (noting that the location of the blood pools indicates the upright position of the body at the time of blood pooling) The process does however, form a method of predicting the time since death. " Source

* I would speculate that it is key that the "dog collar" was not removed when the scene was sanitized. If this was a death by asphyxiation, the collar would have covered up any minimal marks in my opinion.

* Brett Cummins continues to lead a carefree life and is currently (today thru Thursday) visiting a 21 year old friend in Dallas. and enjoying Texas nightlife. It would seem Cummins doesn't think there will be repercussions for his actions.

While it isn't a plethora of information, I hope that it helps us gain more insight into the death of Dexter Williams.

I am eagerly awaiting the Arkansas State Crime Laboratory's final report on Williams' death and the decisions made by the authorities on what, if any, charges will be filed in relation to the death of Dexter Williams.

I'd be thrilled to hear your thoughts, questions or feedback.

Thanks!

It has been 13 days since events occurring at 16 Village Way in Maumelle, Arkansas led to the death of 24 year old Dexter Williams. The titillating details revealed in the Maumelle Police Department's Incident Report made international headlines and became the fodder for late night comedians & morning zoo radio hosts. The media in Little Rock disregarded any notion of investigative journalism and focused their efforts on how this incident would impact the employment of a local weatherman. In an effort to avoid additional international headlines, the weatherman's "resignation" was announced after 5pm on a Friday while the nation focused on September 11 and the start of the NFL season. Little Rock media outlets minimized the news of Cummins' employment ending but the story made national headlines the following Monday.

On September 12, CNN (the only media outlet providing actual news related to the investigation) reported the Arkansas State Crime Laboratory's final report on Williams' death would "be ready 'in the next week or so." This report, combined with other evidence collected by the Maumelle Police Department, will determine what (if any) charges will be filed against Brett Cummins and Christopher Barbour.

In an effort to answer so many of the questions, suspicions, red flags and concerns that have been expressed regarding the circumstances leading to the death of Dexter Williams and the individuals involved, I have uncovered information through my own sleuthing and communication with sources that I would like to share with you:

* It has been noted here and in a couple media reports that Christopher Barbour (occupant of 16 Village Way) was arrested and charged with third degree domestic battery on December 23, 2010. This information caused a great deal of discussion and speculation about Barbour here at WS. What we have been unaware of is that Barbour is not the only one whose past has included violence; Brett Cummins has also been disciplined for violence. The backstory: Brett Cummins was fired by KARK 4 in May 2008 and rehired in September 2009. Cummins was rehired because he won a wrongful termination lawsuit against the station. I've been able to confirm that the reason KARK fired Cummins in May 2008: "he got into a fight at a bar in Little Rock" and was not arrested; the lawsuit settlement reinstated him.

* On September 7, Brett Cummins went to the doctor and got meds. Here is a link to that information Anyone want to speculate why Cummins needed meds?

* Based on Dexter Williams profile name on the website Recon.com (NSFW) which was DexonSpeedBoi, I think we can assume that the drug of choice on September 6 was crystal meth. This is important because it would negate Christopher Barbour's claim of sleeping for 10 hours after snorting "illegal drugs."

* To give us perspective on the size of the "hot tub" Williams, Barbour and Cummins were partying and playing in, I tracked down the jacuzzi tub installed at similar properties by the same builder on Village Way. It is much smaller than I would have guessed, you can view it here.

* The owner of the property at 16 Village Way is NOT Christopher Barbour, but is Jason Keith Taylor (Barbour's former partner). Jason Keith Taylor was also arrested and charged with third degree domestic battery on December 23, 2010. I can confirm that Taylor does NOT live at 16 Village Way (which leads me to speculate if any legal orders prevent him from living there). I was also surprised to learn that Dexter Williams was friends on Facebook with both Jason Keith Taylor and Brett Cummins but not Christopher Barbour. (I found this "interesting")

* The incident report noted "blood pooling to the head." I was unaware of what blood pooling is and found a good definition "The pooling of the blood can be a vital clue in determining the time of death and is known as hypostasis. This occurs when the blood ceases flowing, settling in the lowest parts of the body and in turn, causing the skin to become pink and red in colour. This process is complete in up to 6 hours after death. The main use of blood pooling analysis actually lies in helping to determine the death manner (noting that the location of the blood pools indicates the upright position of the body at the time of blood pooling) The process does however, form a method of predicting the time since death. " Source

* I would speculate that it is key that the "dog collar" was not removed when the scene was sanitized. If this was a death by asphyxiation, the collar would have covered up any minimal marks in my opinion.

* Brett Cummins continues to lead a carefree life and is currently (today thru Thursday) visiting a 21 year old friend in Dallas. and enjoying Texas nightlife. It would seem Cummins doesn't think there will be repercussions for his actions.

While it isn't a plethora of information, I hope that it helps us gain more insight into the death of Dexter Williams.

I am eagerly awaiting the Arkansas State Crime Laboratory's final report on Williams' death and the decisions made by the authorities on what, if any, charges will be filed in relation to the death of Dexter Williams.

I'd be thrilled to hear your thoughts, questions or feedback.

Thanks!

thank you for this post- very informative!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Urbanzzzzz83
Back