Identified! AR- West Memphis -"Laundry Lady" WhtFem 643UFAR, 45-60, Sep'87 No Name Available

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I've looked at Patsy Clark as a possible but Annabelle Ludwig's name came up in another thread and she seems like a possibility for Laundry Lady:

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/l/ludwig_annabelle.html

Matches:

Age (40 at time of disappearance, 45 at time of Jane Doe's death);
Height (5'3" to 5'6") is spot on for Jane Doe's 5'4"
Auburn hair and hazel eyes are a match
History of disappearance from family would be consistent with Jane Doe's possible lifestyle.
Some facial resemblance, particularly in the young, black and white picture, which is the best defined.

Inconsistencies:

5 year timeline between disappearance and recovery;
Location - 600 miles from Annabelle's last known address; similar distance from her destination, not quite en route between the two - but 5 years of life on the road don't make this too much of a stretch;
No beauty spot visible on the Jane Doe; no reference to a previously broken wrist. The beauty spot referred to in Annabelle's profile isn't that visible either.

It probably isn't a match but thought that perhaps this could be looked at. Any opinions?

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/l/ludwig_annabelle.html

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/643ufar.html
https://identifyus.org/cases/2882 (graphic postmortem pic)

She looks pretty close, and her age is closer to Laundry Lady than to Shotgun Jane, but I think the wrist injury probably would have been noted. It also says that Laundry Lady has upper and lower dentures, which isn't mentioned for Annabelle. But it is said that absence of evidence is not the same as evidence of absence. Similarly, the failure to mention a physical characteristic doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

Full dentures don't bother me too much if there's a five year gap in her history. If lived a marginal but reasonably healthy existence for that time, she could have needed some dental care and been presented with two options: treatment or a full dental plate, and chosen the plate as the cheaper option.

My sister's father-in-law is a dentist in a deprived area in Britain and until the advent of publicly funded dentistry ca. 1950, parents used to get their children a full set of teeth when they turned 21 to save them the bother of treatment in later life.

The wrist injury should have been noted if this Doe is Annabelle though.

Have they ruled out Bettina Minnie Antone? She would have been 51 in '87; she is listed as 5'3 120lbs in 1980 when she disappeared. The only thing glaring is hazel vs blue eyes. I'm looking for more photos of Ms Antone to compare...something about her transient lifestyle and the age clicked for me. It was one of those situations that I kept coming back to her profile and making comparisons...

Now I don't see any facial dimples on the UID, but I think with her neck in that position her face may be stretched. I can't see any mole on her "left cheek" in either photo. The UID doesn't have any other listed blemishes, scars, etc....Ms Antone has a scar on her back; how severe isn't clarified. Ms Antone does have dentures; however the UID is 40 lbs heavier then Ms Antone was listed at in 1980; but then again a lot can happen in nearly 7 years...

http://dojapp.doj.ca.gov/missing/detail.asp?FCN=5429314633062
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/a/antone_bettina.html

Did anyone else notice this on her NamUs file? I didn't notice anyone else mention it:
"...A card was found on victims body that had a name and number of a subject. The subject was called and subject reportedly stated that 1 week before victim's death subject had given a ride to a person fitting description of deceased from Nashville, Tennessee. Subject stated this victim was from Phoenix, Arizona and her name was Mary."

Haven't come across any missing women from Arizona that match yet though...

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/a/amos_mary.html

Reasons for:
Used name Mary
Possibly prone to being a transient type of person - family did not report missing for 12 years.
Last seen a few months prior to Laundry Lady's death
Similar physical appearance based on photo comparison
Weight very close

Against:
Height 5'4 vs 5'7 - how certain is the family of the height?
Hair - family says red but pic shows brown. Laundry lady's hair is brown.
LL has upper and lower dentures, Mary only upper at time of last sighting per family - could she have gotten the lower between time last seen and accident?
Mary has abdominal scar, no mention of this on LL - could this have been obscured by accident trauma?
No mention of pierced ears on LL but this is so common, is it always documented?

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/a/amos_mary.html

Reasons for:
Used name Mary
Possibly prone to being a transient type of person - family did not report missing for 12 years.
Last seen a few months prior to Laundry Lady's death
Similar physical appearance based on photo comparison
Weight very close

Against:
Height 5'4 vs 5'7 - how certain is the family of the height?
Hair - family says red but pic shows brown. Laundry lady's hair is brown.
LL has upper and lower dentures, Mary only upper at time of last sighting per family - could she have gotten the lower between time last seen and accident?
Mary has abdominal scar, no mention of this on LL - could this have been obscured by accident trauma?
No mention of pierced ears on LL but this is so common, is it always documented?

Possible. 12 years? How sad is that? I'm not sure I would put much stock in a physcial description from whomever it took 12 years to report a loved one missing!

LL does not have abdominal scars, according to the MedEx I spoke with about the possible match with Rosie. Rosie had a hysterectomy....Now, the medex could only go over LL's autopsy photos with a magnifying glass, but there was also no mention in the accompanying report. IIRC, most of the damage done to her was on her back and the back of her head, not to her front.

LL does not have abdominal scars, according to the MedEx I spoke with about the possible match with Rosie. Rosie had a hysterectomy....Now, the medex could only go over LL's autopsy photos with a magnifying glass, but there was also no mention in the accompanying report. IIRC, most of the damage done to her was on her back and the back of her head, not to her front.

Any progress on the Rosie possibility?

"A card was found on victims body that had a name and number of a subject. The subject was called and subject reportedly stated that 1 week before victim's death subject had given a ride to a person fitting description of deceased from Nashville, Tennessee. Subject stated this victim was from Phoenix, Arizona and her name was Mary." (from NamUs)

Came across this case and was curious as to what info the Sheriff had on the web. Noted that the white square thing in the pic was probably a biz card. Wonder if, when they called this person who gave her a ride from Nashville, TN, said if she had luggage? Did she say where she was headed?

Also....was it noted as to the time of day/night when she was hit? Were the people who hit her "locals"? Service road...probably not well lit or traveled.

Any progress on the Rosie possibility?

Not that I know of....LL had DNA processed, Rosie was supposed to have MtDNA on file from her children but I dont know if the comparison was done or if both were in National Databases. :(

I ran a search here in WS and did not find this lady's name, so I offer her as a possible match for the LL. The year she went missing is on target but her height is a bit off, this could be that her family was guessing at her height or that she was post menopausal and lost some height since her last Id was issued. This lady was known to have upper dentures and she has used the name "Mary" as well as others.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mary Corrine Amos
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2920dfca.html

I do see somewhat of a resemblance, but LL's nose is turned up more IMO. You can see it better in LL's side view. Their heights is are off by 3 inches.

I do see somewhat of a resemblance, but LL's nose is turned up more IMO. You can see it better in LL's side view. Their heights is are off by 3 inches.

Thanks CarlK, I do wish we had a side profile of this lady for comparison. As far as height, I have lost 2 1/2 inches in the last 5 years due to osteophorsis, its not unheard of at that age.

Will try to see if I can find an profile image of "Mary".

Thanks Again!

I hated the previous reconstruction that I did for Laundry Lady. I've been telling myself for a long time that I needed to revise it. I finally got around to it.

7af21546-7805-41b5-afdb-b566939f23c4.jpg

This has probably been asked before but did anyone go to Roseburg with the picture of her?

I used to live there way back when..

this case is fascinating. I'm not a psychologist so I am trying to draw a mental picture of this woman based upon what she was carrying with her and what was not with her.

laundry soaps are one of the last things I would expect to find on the person of a true transient. so I am asking myself, why would this woman, who apparently did not live in the area, carry laundry soap and fabric softener? I can't imagine that she was on her way to a laundromat as she only had a dollar and change with her at the time she was hit by the passing vehicle.

she had toothpaste but no toothbrush and significantly since she had both upper and lower dentures she was not carrying any denture cleaners (like Polident) or any of the adhesive products to hold the dentures on (although it looks like they stayed affixed despite being struck by a car).

also absent is any food even though she looks like she was well-nourished.

I tried to go to google maps to see what the service road looks like. it is rather long and there is no definitive statement as to where on the service road she was struck. also the businesses along the road have certainly changed considerably. it looks like there is at least one truck stop.

my hunch, and this is just pure speculation, is that she had hitched ride with some trucker and stayed at least overnight at a nearby truck stop. I would assume that a few belongings were left behind when she took her walk but when she did not return, the trucker went on his way not knowing she had been struck and killed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back