Identified! AR- West Memphis -"Laundry Lady" WhtFem 643UFAR, 45-60, Sep'87 No Name Available

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
amethyst, Have you used this site at all? There are so many sources listed throughout it that I get confused lol. Maybe a more focused mind will see some useful source?
http://www.loc.gov/rr/news/oltitles.html

Kind of figured the barrels were a long shot. Roadwork is never ending all over.
Amethyst posted that the microfiche is indeed located at the main public library at 3030 Poplar Avenue in Memphis. Will check their site. Perhaps they offer a fee service for researching microfiche requests for a specific date. Also will continue to search for genealogy sites that list microfiche news files. Might luck out.
OT...okay have refrained from saying this in prior posts...can't hold it in any longer....have you come to save the day?? been humming that darn tune for days now lol
ETA found a PDF form on this site http://www.tennessee.gov/tsla/forms.htm to use for requesting microfiche news articles in TE. Perhaps worth a try. Will send out tomorrow if no other ideas come up.

OT for LL but it looks like NewsLibrary.com no longer allows single article purchases. That's a bummer.

(Bolded by the mouse in tights)

I wish I could. The fact that someone can be mowed down in West Memphis and I can't remember anything about it bothers me. That makes me think that very very little effort was put into finding out who this lady was, and that's sad. It also makes me wonder if this type thing has happened before or since. West Memphis is a big stopover for truckers, and thus it's a stopover for folks catching rides with truckers.

If I were back home, I'd go do the library research myself.

I put together a map of motels, the homeless shelter, the tracks, a coin-op laundry and the truck stops, but it won't copy/paste or link correctly. Maybe my brother can help me figure out out to post it.

Hello WebSleuthers--
I have been a long time reader of this site. My interest in Chandra Levy brought me here years ago. I was Googling my missing Aunt's name - Sharon Pinegar last night and was brought to this thread. I just wanted to thank you all so much for doing what you do. I have never met my aunt, as she disappeared when I was only 10. I desperately want to help figure out what happened to my mom's sister, so her siblings have answers to what ever became of her. My mom is also a long time WebSleuths lurker and I passed this thread on to her late last night. We are both so grateful for the time you have put in matching these missing people to their missing bodies, and giving families answers.

Sharon had upper and lower dentures, curly hair, and a small frame just like LL. Sharon's husband was murdered in 1977: http://www.unsolved-crimes.com/pinegar.html and I just feel so badly for their children, grandchildren, and siblings who have lost these people with no answers. If I can help answer any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Again, thank you so much for taking your time and research skills - we all really appreciate it.

Welcome!! I am so saddened for the loss to your family-a double whammy really considering Sharon's husband was killed.

Do you have a later picture of Sharon available that might help us with a comparison? Also if you can get cigarette preferences, it might be helpful. Off the bat, charley project reports Sharon's eyes as brown and LL eyes are hazel-small difference I know and they can be confused with one another.

One more thing that might be something to consider-DNA and dental xrays being added to Sharon's file. We can help get LE for Sharon a kit for a swab of DNA to have on file.

Peace to you and your mum....

Received a reply from the Archivist at the TN State Library & Archives. Transaction is snail mail only, the cost is $20.00 per paper/date, nonrefundable if there is no news item for the requested date. It takes 3-4 weeks for results to be processed and mailed.

My husband asked to whom should he write the $500.00 check to as it'll be like when I play the slots...the next one is sure to be a winner.

Received a reply from the Archivist at the TN State Library & Archives. Transaction is snail mail only, the cost is $20.00 per paper/date, nonrefundable if there is no news item for the requested date. It takes 3-4 weeks for results to be processed and mailed.

My husband asked to whom should he write the $500.00 check to as it'll be like when I play the slots...the next one is sure to be a winner.

Oh my stars - what a rip off!!!!!!!! Then again - LOVE your husband. Come to Vegas with your $500 - we need you!

Oh my stars - what a rip off!!!!!!!! Then again - LOVE your husband. Come to Vegas with your $500 - we need you!

I just luv ya both for the humor...:blowkiss:

Thank you all for your kind words. Sharon had dark brown eyes, so LL is probably not Sharon. My mom also viewed LL's pictures and does not think it is her. Sharon was a smoker - I'm not sure what kind she smoked, but I will try and find out. Sharon wore a 7 1/2 shoe size.

Actually just sending in every person we come across is not typically how we roll-for example I spoke with Laundry Lady's ME on behalf of another sleuther and he wants us to submit if we can find prints on the missing person UNLESS there is something really compelling about the match.

I am waiting to find out if Rosie Baker's file contains a print card. Laundry Lady did not have a healed fracture of her wrist as Rosie did, BUT she also had both upper and lower dentures which I do not believe is listed out anywhere, right??? Or am I crazy? Could be...I have been poking around a whole lot of cases this week....

In any case, LL has upper and lower dentures.

I am posting before reading the entire thread, so maybe this has been mentioned, but, don't dentures have some identifying marks?

There was a terrible tornado in West Memphis in December of '87. Maybe records were damaged and that's why there is no info out there.

Lol capoly, I haven't heard that in years! I'm still checking out the link you posted for me. Lot's of stuff there, but so far, nothing on LL. I'm going back now to look some more.

I wonder if my_tee_mouse knows if events ocurring in West Memphis are regularly reported in the Commercial Appeal?

"hums the mighty mouse song"

Gosh, I remember that tornado. One of my coworkers lost her home. You could see where it crossed the interstate for ages before they repaired all the damage. Another good friend and coworker who lived in West Memphis rode out the storm under a turned-over recliner with her five-year-old underneath her. It hit so fast no one really had a chance to get to shelter.

Yes, the CA reports a lot of the West Memphis news.

Shoot, for $500 I'll come off this mountain and go to Memphis myself! Redoubling my efforts to think of someone in the area who's gullible...I mean willing to help us out here.

Thats not necessarily the case - sometimes people miss things.
Im not the first to say something like that and I won't be the last I feel sure LOL

In regards to my question about who it was , were they charged etc, Does anyone actually believe that they thought they *hit a barrel* ?

Thats really my entire point. That in itself is very strange - especially when she was wearing a RED Tshirt and Denim Jeans

How many Barrells do you know look like that !!!

And she couldn't have been *sleeping* on the ground because she wouldn't have been picked up and flung 150 meters from impact IMO

Thanks .....I don't know if that is appropriate . Im in Australia and I don't know what is allowed to be asked and what isnt, not sure if they are just going to give that info out to a non resident of USA

Find a free email site online, one that is in the US and then use that. No one will know you are in another country unless you tell them. Not sure that it matters, but, it might, I suppose.

Thank you all for your kind words. Sharon had dark brown eyes, so LL is probably not Sharon. My mom also viewed LL's pictures and does not think it is her. Sharon was a smoker - I'm not sure what kind she smoked, but I will try and find out. Sharon wore a 7 1/2 shoe size.
Ihonestly dont think LL is Sharon :(

LL did have a pair of size 8 shoes on her, of course they could have been too big etc

but just gut feeling tells me its not Sharon, and dark brown eyes compared to hazel are very tellable

:( again very sorry for your loss

Thank you for visiting this site. I am so sorry for your loss.

have you looked at other UIDs on the doe network website? if Laundry Lady is not Sharon, she could be another of the Does on the site. I'd be happy to help you with your search...what states do you think she went to?

Oh My Land this is nuts!

I agree that Rosie would not have given her real name to folks if she fled because she thought she was in danger in her marriage. She really wasn't all that far from her home if this is indeed her. I also agree with capoly that AR appears to have numerous problems with post mortems/autopsies in the 80's and it is not hard to speculate that someone who appeared to be homeless might have been given short shrift.

They will likely need to exhume her to get a sample of DNA, which mean locating her from whatever "Potters Field" she was buried in. Not a simple task usually. So, the exhumation (expensive) and locating her are what will impact the collection of the DNA sample.

Now, if we can get dentals on Rosie and perhaps have them compared to LL-or trace serial numbers off of the plates?? Might be much faster, and cost effective.

I am posting before reading the entire thread, so maybe this has been mentioned, but, don't dentures have some identifying marks?

Hi Medusa,

Not 100% positive but think that is being looked into. Salem posted a link here http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3336626#post3336626 to an article that says Dentist are only required to keep records for 7 years. So perhaps 20+ years may mean there is no way to verify marks?

The article is good to read. Never would of thought of freezing dental records!

LOL After months of reading on WS about all I'd do now in Vegas* is stand on a street corner and write in a little notepad the estimated vital statistics of every person I saw.

* interchangeable location....:worldmap: just throw dart.

Ihonestly dont think LL is Sharon :(

LL did have a pair of size 8 shoes on her, of course they could have been too big etc

but just gut feeling tells me its not Sharon, and dark brown eyes compared to hazel are very tellable

:( again very sorry for your loss

Shoe sizes are weird, at least here. I wear an 8 for the most part, but, sometimes a 7 1/2, sometimes and 8 1/2 and with those high heel petal things I can were a 9 in heals (I found a to die for pair on sale, only in 9 and 7 - 7 too small, and I got the 9's.) It depends on the shoe/brand. So keep that in mind.

I think the mole on the nose and hysterectomy scar would be easy to verify if it was worth looking further into Rose as a possible match. They do not mention these things on the UID.
Not how sure much of a difference it makes, but in the description of Rose, it says she never wears Tshirts, jeans or sneakers. when she was found she was wearing all three?:waitasec: But she sure looks like her to me and I also see, at least a "mark" on her nose.

If we're going to focus on the belongings of LL, let's dig a little deeper. Why would the majority of her belongings be laundry related? Are these items transients would carry without an extra change of clothes? If all she had were the clothes on her back, how did she wash them? Is it possible that she had other belongings in a room or apartment or home nearby? Was her case publicized in the area? Had anyone seen her panhandling in the area or did her small amount of money come from another source? If LE believed her to be homeless, I doubt they would have made much noise about her death.

People of all kinds go missing every day for one reason or another. Some have no family at all and some have families who don't care that they're gone. But someone, somewhere knew this woman and quite possibly her story....

What if she isn't homeless or just released from some facility? Maybe she was just doing laundry at a laundramat some where (were there any close by?) and was, I don't know, taking a walk while her clothes dried or going to get something to eat? Maybe that is why she doesn't have any other belongings? Maybe she lives alone and doesn't have family looking for her.

I'm from Memphis and drove through West Memphis often. The answer is yes, that's how it was in '87...trucks, motels, a restaurant here and there and the dog track.

I might add: This is an area full of "lot lizards," many of whom hop into one truck, ride awhile to the next stop, hop into the next truck. I wish we knew specifically where along the service road she was found.

Hi mouse! Are there laundomats in that area, do you know? Sounds like the sort of place where there might be.

I wish I had seen this earlier and I usually will read a thread before posting to make sure I don't repeat something.

Just because she had name brand items like Tide or Downy does not mean she was not homeless or indigent. Our family used to put in a lot of hours at the Salvation Army. We used to get single homeless persons as well as families just in temporary need of items from the food pantry.

We had a list - 1 person would get this many cans of this kind of food - that many boxes of that - and two people would get this and that.

If other household items were asked for and they were available - they would be included.

We used to drive to donation locations and pick up the boxes that had been collected. You would be surprised at how often the name brand stuff was donated.

Also, there was a homeless shelter downstairs only open for the night. If one of the social workers had a client whom they had been working came to them and asked for help for those kind of items because for instance they were able to get a job interview they would come upstairs and tell us what they needed.
awwww....bless your heart pb!

Yeah there is, but it's an awful long way from the service road. There ARE laundry facilities at the truck stops, though, and a couple of them would be more likely if she were doing her laundry and walking along the service road.

Has anyone asked ME to tell us specifically where she was found along this stretch?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NysesPieces
Back