Argentina - Loan Peña, 5, went orange pick w/fam, shoe found, local police chief arrested, as well as others, Nueve de Julio, 13 Jun 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

GuyfromCanada

Reaction score
Loan.jpg

On June 13, Loan Danilo Peña’s father took him for lunch at his grandmother’s. It was the five-year-old’s first time visiting her in the small rural town of 9 de Julio, Corrientes province.

At around 3 p.m. he went orange picking with some cousins in a nearby field, an uncle, and two of his uncle’s friends.

As the afternoon wore on, the adults say, they realized he wasn’t with the group.

They returned to the house and found that he wasn’t there, either. Loan has not been seen since that afternoon.

More at Argentina is looking for a missing 5-year-old: the disappearance of Loan Peña - Buenos Aires Herald

Note: The town is called Nueve de Julio. The population is about 2700 people.

An article in Spanish, this tidbit was translated with Google Translate.

mMfTxhaIm_1256x620__3.jpg

Loan Danilo Peña (5) disappeared on June 13 after participating in a lunch at his grandmother's house, located in a rural area of 9 de Julio, in the province of Corrientes . After an intense search in the area, Justice now points to the hypothesis of a kidnapping for the purposes of human trafficking .

The commissioner who was in charge of the search operation at the beginning is also in prison , accused of possible cover-up.

All the news about a case that shocks Argentina, in Clarín 's minute-by-minute coverage .

More at Desaparición de Loan Danilo Peña en Corrientes, EN VIVO: la búsqueda del nene de 5 años y las últimas noticias del caso este 24 de junio

Loan.jpg

On June 13, Loan Danilo Peña’s father took him for lunch at his grandmother’s. It was the five-year-old’s first time visiting her in the small rural town of 9 de Julio, Corrientes province.

At around 3 p.m. he went orange picking with some cousins in a nearby field, an uncle, and two of his uncle’s friends.

As the afternoon wore on, the adults say, they realized he wasn’t with the group.

They returned to the house and found that he wasn’t there, either. Loan has not been seen since that afternoon.

More at Argentina is looking for a missing 5-year-old: the disappearance of Loan Peña - Buenos Aires Herald

Note: The town is called Nueve de Julio. The population is about 2700 people.

Also from this article:

His family reported his disappearance to the police. Initially, they treated it as a missing person case. But his disappearance is now being investigated as a possible case of child trafficking by Argentina’s federal authorities. Five of his grandmother’s guests have been arrested, along with the local police chief who first led the search.

Gets worse. There's a lot of info. in that article

Local and federal police launched a huge search operation. They found a peeled orange and Loan’s shoe in the area where he was allegedly last seen. They also found trails of blood, although there is no evidence yet that it is Loan’s.

“Search dogs marked the area where Loan’s shoe was but none of them found a trail from it, meaning that Loan never got there and the shoe was placed there,” said Barry. “This means, among other things, that there was clear tampering at the crime scene.”

Both prosecutors placed the responsibility squarely on the shoulders of the police chief.

Faced with heavy criticism against the investigation — routes in and out of the area had not been closed and journalists had easy initial access to the crime scene — they also pointed to the police chief’s malfeasance.

A friend of Loan’s grandmother and her husband, a retired navy captain, were arrested on Friday after police dogs found Loan’s scent in their truck and car. Over the preceding days, 50 police dogs had looked for Loan’s scent, but their noses never led them to the area where the suspects said he got lost. They stayed around the house, where the scent seemed to stop. This led investigators to believe Loan never went to collect oranges. Instead, they believe, he was snatched in a vehicle.

According to local media reports, the retired navy captain attempted to take his own life while in detention on Sunday night. He has requested to testify before a judge.

The last picture of Loan was taken at the family lunch. His grandmother, father, and five of the detainees can be seen in the picture, along with other unidentified people. It remains unknown who took the photo.

Castillo and Barry also claimed that there was sensitive information in the suspects’ phones they could not share because it could compromise the investigation but that there was sufficient evidence to definitively state that this was a child trafficking, not a missing person case.

Devastating :(

Following this story...

3 adults and a number of other children went to a nearby spot to pick oranges yet Loan wasn't seen leaving by his father nor did anyone pay attention to the 5 year old going off by himself to return to somewhere that was his first time ever visiting - his grandmother's house.

Makes no sense.

First off, his father should have been keeping a better eye on him plus what were the three adults thinking of, if he really did decide to return back to his father early, of letting him go off alone like that!

I don't think any responsible adult would be so careless like that - not at all.

Seems suspicious under the circumstances.

Human trafficking is that for something like illegal adoption when some people can't adopt or something more sinister?

Hope it isn't the worse case scenario for him regardless of what the true situation might be and that concrete answers are found soon.

Last edited:
If they were picking oranges, then I would guess they were in an orange grove with rows and rows of oranges. Maybe not in sight of each other, but certainly within shouting distance. It looks like the grandmother's "friends" took the boy.

Last edited:
Wow.

"Sources of the case have stated that Pérez tried to take his own life and asked to testify as part of a plea bargain.
'If I’m going down, I’m not going down on my own,' the detainee allegedly said according to sources close to the investigation."

Minister of National Security, Patricia Bullrich, revealed that she finally met this Monday with Nimio Cardozo, head of Intelligence of Paraguay. Although it was stipulated that Bullrich would travel to the neighboring country to attend a summit of the Organization of American States (OAS), an activity that the Secretary of Security, Alejandra Monteoliva, will instead attend, the minister did visit Paraguay, although briefly and only to meet with Cardozo.

"Our countries, and especially the province of Corrientes, have an intense traffic of people. I thanked you for your full collaboration in this national cause. We will work as a team thoroughly across all our borders in this national cause. We will work as a team thoroughly for all our borders in this search. A group will be in Paraguay and I will go to Goya, Corrientes, to begin the federal case," Bullrich said in his statement.
Desaparición de Loan Danilo Peña en Corrientes, EN VIVO: la búsqueda del nene de 5 años y las últimas noticias del caso este 24 de junio

Note: the above quote is from a live updating page (time stamped 24.06.2024 - 23:33) on the case and I used google translation.

There's clearly a lot of public pressure in Argentina to solve this case. So much so that the Minister of National Security will not attend an OAS summit, and instead head to Corrientes Province to help lead the case. Also from the above quote the Minister admits that there is a human trafficking problem in Corrientes Province, which is right next to Paraguay. Paraguay has expressed their support.

Following this story...

3 adults and a number of other children went to a nearby spot to pick oranges yet Loan wasn't seen leaving by his father nor did anyone pay attention to the 5 year old going off by himself to return to somewhere that was his first time ever visiting - his grandmother's house.

Makes no sense.

First off, his father should have been keeping a better eye on him plus what were the three adults thinking of, if he really did decide to return back to his father early, of letting him go off alone like that!

I don't think any responsible adult would be so careless like that - not at all.

Human trafficking is that for something like illegal adoption when some people can't adopt or something more sinister?

Hope it isn't the worse case scenario for him regardless of what the true situation might be and that concrete answers are found soon.
It is not for adoption.

God’s children are not for sale…. Moo

THEY CONFIRM THAT THE DETAINED COMMISSIONER HAD BEEN REPORTED IN 2019 FOR SEXUAL ABUSE

The Attorney General of Corrientes, César Sotelo, reported that Commissioner Walter Maciel, detained for allegedly hindering the investigation into the disappearance of the child Loan Peña, had a previous complaint for alleged sexual abuse.

"I know that he had a complaint for abuse in 2019. We would have to ask the person who places officials with specific complaints in certain places," Sotelo explained regarding Commissioner Maciel.

Following this story...

Makes no sense.

If you read the whole article you'll see it does make sense because the police don't believe that the boy wandered off on his own. From another MSM article

After lunch, the child left the home with Benítez, Ramírez and Millapi and some of his cousins, according to prosecutors, travelling in the direction of an orange grove a few miles away. The boy’s father did not realise they had left the property.

The trio of adults later realised that Loan wasn’t with them and called for assistance.

Benítez is Loan's uncle, so obviously his father didn't think anything was amiss. All three mentioned above were arrested in connection with his disappearance. It was stated in another article posted earlier that the police don't believe they even made it to the orange grove.

I have found following the different characters in this case confusing, since there are so many. So here is what I now understand, based on all of the updates from Clarin (news) from their recent daily updates.

Desaparición de Loan Danilo Peña en Corrientes, EN VIVO: la búsqueda del nene de 5 años y las últimas noticias del caso este 26 de junio

At the lunch:
- Catalina Pena. 87 years old. Loan's grandmother. Location of lunch near the small town of Nueve de Julio.
- Laudelina (Catalina's daughter; Loan's aunt) & husband, Antonio Benitez. Antonio has been detained. LE has requested a 'genital sample' (not sure if this means semen or pubic hair).
- Monica Millapi (detained) & husband Daniel "Fierrito" Ramirez (detained). Monica was invited by Laudelina.
- Maria Victoria Caillava (detained; former municipal employee of 9 de Julio) & husband Carlos Perez (62; detained; former ship captain; alleged mastermind of disappearance). Catalina, the grandmother, said in an interview that she invited Maria although Loan's father said they weren't invited. Maria and Carlos drove to Chaca in a car that contained traces of Loan.
- Loan Pena and his father Jose Pena. (not clear who invited them or if Jose just randomly decided to go, as stories conflict.)

ETA: (adding this section since I missed mentioning another person detained.)The other person detained, but who was not at the lunch, was Walter Maciel, a commissioner (LE) for 9 de Julio. He is charged with interference in the investigation. It's not clear in what way he interfered, however Loan's father said that Maciel told him that Loan was seen the day after he went missing.

Everyone is pointing fingers at the others. Multiple people (including Loan's mother) are saying that everyone from the lunch should be investigated, including those not detained. Note that the only people at the lunch that weren't detained were Loan's 87-year-old grandmother, his aunt and his father. None of the detained who have spoken through their lawyers appear to still be saying that Loan just wandered off.

I found it odd that Loan, at 5 years old, had never been to his grandmother's house before.
I also found it odd that such a large group of non-family members would end up at the grandmother's house for lunch considering she is 87.

Last edited:
If you read the whole article you'll see it does make sense because the police don't believe that the boy wandered off on his own. From another MSM article

After lunch, the child left the home with Benítez, Ramírez and Millapi and some of his cousins, according to prosecutors, travelling in the direction of an orange grove a few miles away. The boy’s father did not realise they had left the property.

The trio of adults later realised that Loan wasn’t with them and called for assistance.

Benítez is Loan's uncle, so obviously his father didn't think anything was amiss. All three mentioned above were arrested in connection with his disappearance. It was stated in another article posted earlier that the police don't believe they even made it to the orange grove.

According to the grandmother outside her house are fruit trees including oranges so she couldn't work out why they needed to go off somewhere else at all to pick them when there was some right there.

Adults not watching a child makes no sense and leaving the property when they could have raided her fruit trees can now be added to that as well.

Responsible adults would watch children, of course.

I have found following the different characters in this case confusing, since there are so many. So here is what I now understand, based on all of the updates from Clarin (news) from their recent daily updates.

Desaparición de Loan Danilo Peña en Corrientes, EN VIVO: la búsqueda del nene de 5 años y las últimas noticias del caso este 26 de junio

At the lunch:
- Catalina Pena. 87 years old. Loan's grandmother. Location of lunch near the small town of Nueve de Julio.
- Laudelina (Catalina's daughter; Loan's aunt) & husband, Antonio Benitez. Antonio has been detained. LE has requested a 'genital sample' (not sure if this means semen or pubic hair).
- Monica Millapi (detained) & husband Daniel "Fierrito" Ramirez (detained). Monica was invited by Laudelina.
- Maria Victoria Caillava (detained; former municipal employee of 9 de Julio) & husband Carlos Perez (62; detained; former ship captain; alleged mastermind of disappearance). Catalina, the grandmother, said in an interview that she invited Maria although Loan's father said they weren't invited. Maria and Carlos drove to Chaca in a car that contained traces of Loan.
- Loan Pena and his father Jose Pena. (not clear who invited them or if Jose just randomly decided to go, as stories conflict.)

ETA: (adding this section since I missed mentioning another person detained.)The other person detained, but who was not at the lunch, was Walter Maciel, a commissioner (LE) for 9 de Julio. He is charged with interference in the investigation. It's not clear in what way he interfered, however Loan's father said that Maciel told him that Loan was seen the day after he went missing.

Everyone is pointing fingers at the others. Multiple people (including Loan's mother) are saying that everyone from the lunch should be investigated, including those not detained. Note that the only people at the lunch that weren't detained were Loan's 87-year-old grandmother, his aunt and his father. None of the detained who have spoken through their lawyers appear to still be saying that Loan just wandered off.

I found it odd that Loan, at 5 years old, had never been to his grandmother's house before.
I also found it odd that such a large group of non-family members would end up at the grandmother's house for lunch considering she is 87.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Walter Maciel tried to distract them in the first part of the investigation by planting the shoe to mislead them. Some of the investigators worked it out early on which is why he was detained. I think he took them to that exact spot directly or in a speedy manner, but it was just the way it was set up - suspicious.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rachelle(Ru-shell)
Back